MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




No Whirly....no Gig


One day last week it was a most beautiful day!! I drove to the islands, birding, and when I was done, ready to hit the road to get back home...I stopped at a little specialty shop that I've passed by for over a decade...always thinking I should check it out, but never did. Until this week! I was amazed at all the stuff!! From whimsical [like flying pigs] to military, patriotic, team spirit, pirates, seasonal, animals and more!! And each item is flag/whirly-gigs/windsocks. Of course, I bought a small one for our yard. And naturally, a bird. A cardinal! I got home, put it together and set it outside. Bummer, my cardinal fails to either whirly OR gig!! I guess I must move it so the wind catches it more....but where?

- - -

And, since the weather is nearly perfect [I could go for a bit more cooler temps, but at least the humidity is almost nil!!], I drove to another park to walk in the early morning sunshine. After walking the trail there, I took the long way home and drove along Ocean Drive where the college campus is.
    Texas A&M University–Corpus Christi is a state university located in Corpus Christi, on the historic Ward Island in Oso Bay. The university is part of the Texas A&M University System. Upon continuing on the street, beyond the campus grounds, you come to the Naval Air Base [Army Depot/NAS Station].
I pulled off the street to park on the shore side of the bay and walked a bit, just enjoying the outdoors. Of course I had my trusted camera with me!! I focused on the shore birds, mostly brown pelicans, sea gulls, and terns. I scanned the horizon toward the city skyline some 5+ miles away, and viewed through the lens, the oil/natural gas platforms, at a far distance...


From NAS [Naval Air Station] looking to the city skyline some 5 miles away...


A Sandpiper - a Brown Pelican - Surf hitting boulders


A 1st year Seagull - Beautiful clouds on the Horizon - Brown Pelicans


A Great Blue Heron - NAS [naval air station] pilot trainee landing - Seagull


Seagull - Oil Platform on the Horizon - Corpus Skyline [partial]


Seagulls on old Piers

- - -


I surmise a lot have already cast their ballot for the election [Nov 8th]. I was contemplating it myself on Monday [Oct 24th], but when I saw the long lines at a few of the polling stops, I changed my mind. I then read the next day on our local online news site that there was up to a 3 hour wait line at some...a computer glitch was to blame. I'm glad I didn't stop to vote. But, I WILL vote on Election Tuesday!! No matter the wait time. Hopefully, if I get there early enough, there won't be long lines to go cast my vote. This weekend I took down all the Halloween decor and cleaned up a couple of things that are packed away in the back of a cupboard. Something I only bring out every four years. We've had these for nearly 50 years...


Jim Beam Whiskey Decanters [Democrat in red - Republican in blue]
emptied long ago...lol

NEW Voting Laws in SOME States

For this election, there are a few states within USA that has implemented new laws before you vote...
Click HERE for the interactive map showing which states have NEW laws.
USA Voting Laws [General] and history

My favorite one liner? Are you ready? Here it comes....ready?
I don't approve of political jokes...I've seen too many of them get elected.

32 comments :

  1. I am afraid our country looks like one big political joke to other countries this year with all the shenanigans going on, not a poster child for democracy as we should be.
    I LOVE all the birds in flight. so beautiful and the wave spashing UP is my favorite today. gorgeous views and birds..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a new title....the laughin' stock of the world.

      Delete
  2. Love the birds and hope your whirligig works for you. I've already voted. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been busy...haven't had time to try any relocation yet.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful day full of beautiful photos and sights.
    LOL at the decanters...they look brand spanking new!!
    Hugs Cecilia and madi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a few really GOOD days here, weather wise at least.

      Delete
  4. I used to walk a lot but got out of the habit. Wish I lived near you and share your walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well...if you're ever this way....let me know. I love walking.

      Delete
  5. Your political decanters are awesome! I bet they are worth a whole lot of money. Your photos are stunning! My favorite are the first and last skyline shots. The first one is just wonderful! The entire skyline of the city, with one bird flying above it. SUPER cool!!! And the last one, the gorgeous intense blue with the seagulls looking out across, LOVE it!! I hope you get your cardinal to whirly!!! Keep us posted on him. I hope you find him a good place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they're worth a whole lot...you can find all kinds of decanters on Ebay these days. No matter 'what season'.

      Delete
  6. I love your birds and beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a shame that you have no whirly or gig. I don't need any political jokes since I'm still laughing over your interpretation of the comment on my blog about my brother. Maybe my brother could help you with your whirly if not maybe with your gig

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those decanters! Perfect decor for this time of year. I will be off work on Tuesday and will also be voting, no matter the wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dread the long lines, but it's something to deal with and shrug it off when it's all said and done.

      Delete
  9. the pic of the faraway skyline is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If all it works out my hubby and I will be casting a ballot tommorw at our local court house.
    I sure will be glad when this election is over.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! I like that one liner! I also like your decanters. :)
    I'll be voting next Tuesday too, and I'm sure there will be a line.
    You take awesome bird shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari. Happy Birthday by the way.

      Delete
  12. My daughter gave me a whirly-gig shaped like an old car recently. It doesn't whirl or gig anywhere I put it either. The Cardinals put on a show for me while I was waiting for John to have his eyes checked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen many cardinals here, here of late. They must be at your house!

      Delete
  13. All looks great. Angry bird weather finder looks beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it isn't 'angry bird'....but a cardinal. Anyway, it's supposed to be. lol

      Delete
  14. We dread standing in line for a long time to vote, but we will. The whirligigs that were poked in the sand near the beach with the ocean breeze, go like crazy. He just needs a windy area to whirl. Your photos of the sea birds are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll find a better place soon. We have way too much yard work to deal with right now. We've lacked in going outdoor during the intense heat, so catching up is first priority.

      Delete
  15. Hi Anni. Those pictures of near home are very interesting by showing just where your birding places fit into the otherwise industrial and city landscapes. I'll bet just like me you avoid the city if possibel to focus on the real world that matters much more?

    Talking of which. You don't tell us which way you might be voting in the coming election, just like over here where most people don't like to say which way they vote(d) and then noone can complain when everything goes wrong as it invariably does. We over here are following it with great interest, not to say amazement. It will all turn out fine i hope. in the meantime I did love the joke. the old ones are the best -jokes or folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at the bottom of my blog.

      Delete
  16. Thanks for the post. Hmm...I think i will try and make one. Nice to have it in my garden

    ReplyDelete

.