MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Rambling...

As you may have guessed from my previous post, the last weekend we lost our little Winston. It was sudden, and we all miss him terribly. Right now, it's just too quiet without him and I'm having a difficult time adjusting. So many tears. I know that won't bring him back, but I do know eventually I will be able to smile at the memory of his gracing our lives with humor, cuddling, purring, and just being our friend who trusted us completely.

I've been trying to keep busy. There have been times I just want to curl up in a big ball and sleep. Other times I want to get away from it all...walking extra long walks in solitude some mornings helps a lot. Reading, cooking, yard work, sketching in the silence of our home. I've tried concentrating on movies of humor. It all helps out for the time being, but afterwards, I'm back at heartbreak. Bud and I are truly trying to adjust to the loss. [Tahoe too!!]

Okay, I must slap myself in the face, get back to a more normal mode...

1- I mentioned I tried sketching one day...






2- Irene received her wreath last week and really "Loves it"!! For that I am happy! She texted me a photo. She has it, for now, hanging on her front porch. Notice the 'pig' behind it? Yep, I collect Santas...her forté is PIGS...



3- In the news this past week: I watched the first presidential debate. Did you? I can honestly say that THAT definitely got my mind off Winston! Omg...what a fiasco. In my opinion, the idea of a debate is to show the American voters what their 'plans' are from the moderators questions...NOT mudslinging. That's for campaigning!! I was shaking my head in disbelief. I'm like NYC's Gulliani..."Trump...don't participate in any more debates". Then, there is the pending divorce of the Pitt/Jolie marriage? Hmmmm, really not surprising to me. I call it Hollyweird. Thirdly, the fatal boating accident of Marlins' pitcher - wow...all I can say is, life is so fragile. And, I'm still learning to realize this more lately. I hafta be truthful and admit I do so often take it for granted, and I shouldn't. With my nature, it takes a blow to make me stop and think...y'know? One more thing...A judge decided to change the law for statute of limitations on the Cosby rape case?!! I am pleased to read this, but question the motive.  I can't help but think maybe a payoff? I'm all for justice but for some reason I can't help but wonder.  What gives with the American Justice System? Yet, on the other hand, I'm still liking the idea that Mr. Cosby will be judged on the so many allegations of raping so many women.  With this state law change the truth will come out from the 'closet' so to speak.

4- I love reading the mystery books written by Dan Brown. And yesterday I read that next fall there will be another Robert Langdon tale of intrigue, religion, symbology by Dan Brown. The three books I discuss here today are:

ORIGIN by Dan Brown [release date Sept 2017]
    " 'Origin' thrusts Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon into the dangerous intersection of humankind’s two most enduring questions, and the earth-shaking discovery that will answer them," Doubleday writes.
GHOST BIRDS by Stephen Bales
    This book, tho by critics' acclaims to be an exceptional read, I'm finding it mighty slow. The author gets a bit sidetracked many many times in regaling the story of Jim Tanner's 1930's work on research of the near/or extinct bird, the Ivory Billed Woodpecker. For instance, Mr. Bales takes pages and pages to tell us readers about the Model A Ford and its history. I say, 'who cares'? Just get on with the Tanner hunt for the elusive bird!!! Yet, Jim Tanner DOES find and records his research [also the first one to actually band an Ivory Billed Woodpecker]...those parts can increase the adrenaline. But all in all, it's a dry book! Even for an avid birder like me. I must admit I'm not finished with the book. It continues to create interest; ever so dull at times throughout the chapters.  The finding of a Ivory Billed family of three and spending weeks with them in a bird blind could and probably would be thrilling as it is, but again...the author should stick to the story telling/sharing of his information that Mr. Tanner's wife deemed it all should be a published work and aided Mr. Bales with the saga...she died at the age of 96 knowing that her husband's work is being retold for birding/ornithological history. 
    One section deals with the revelation of perhaps cannibalistic Ivory Billed Woodpeckers with what they find in an abandoned nest...could it be possible that this has a lot to do with the birds' demise? I guess so. It really brings out a lot of 'what if's'? I know for a fact that the tribe of Native Americans in my area of Texas were cannibals, and they no longer exist, so perhaps it could be true with these birds? We'll never know.

ART INSPIRATION AND COUNTER CULTURE
"The Day of the Dead"

I have had this book for a while now, and just now have been thumbing through it. I bought it mostly for the 'art' of it. Still, the history and the culture world wide within the sections are intriguing, I will at least read parts of it before I shelf it in our library. While skimming the pages, I had my cellphone nearby and took a few photos...


    Amazon: The beautiful rituals, the sugar skulls, the costumes and the festivities have grown into a massive counter culture across the western world. Art, movies, cartoons and literature have been consumed by the brilliant power of the Day of the Dead, tendered here in this lively new book...
    In one area, [page 86-88 in the hard cover version] the words "laughing matters".  I stopped to read this before moving on.  I thought it may shine some lighter sense of the past week.  It did help: "Naturally there will be laughter on such occasions [deaths and funerals].  Levity and humor are essential human coping mechanisms."  Day of the Dead is not about this; the departed are remembered affectionately...it's not the dead that are being laughed at:  It's the living recounting the good memory.


5- When all this happened with Winston, I was in the middle of getting my Halloween decorations unpacked. It's a slow process this year...I just can't get in the mood much. Oh, I'll still do it to keep my mind occupied, but I just don't have my heart in it for now. Maybe that'll change with more time. In the meantime, I've decided to just put out a few witches and combine Halloween decor with Day of the Dead this year. I'll see what comes forth in my lackadaisical efforts. I just don't like where I'm at at this point. I MUST SNAP OUT OF IT!!  In lieu of this past week, I will not be handing out any trick or treats this year. 

38 comments :

  1. Hello Anni! I am so sorry about the loss of Winston. {{HUGS to you, Bud and Tahoe}}

    Love the Blue Jay sketches. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day and weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the condolences of our losing Winston!! Much appreciated Eileen.

      Delete
  2. so sorry to hear about Winston, . our beloved pets leave a huge gap in our lives, the same as a person dying in my opinion. the wreathe looks great, mother collected all things frog... curtains, dishes, canisters, inside and outside.. I have longed to be able to draw like you do for all of my life, and never could. you are blessed with a gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed...a HUGE gap. Thanks Sandra.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I am so sorry about your sweet Winston! It is like tearing a piece of your heart out.

    Love those blue jays. You are so talented!

    I love ladybugs. You have Santas and Irene has pigs and I have ladybugs.

    Hope you have a lovely weekend and enjoy this glorious weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much...for the condolences and the compliments!

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear of your loss. Our pets become part of the family. It is so painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Painful indeed. Time will heal I hope. And I hope sooner than later. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. You WILL snap out of it. But it just happened, and it is so natural to mourn for quite awhile. And all of a sudden...what an awful shock! No warning or preparing...that makes it doubly hard. He was so beautiful. How old was he? We lost our Cher quite suddenly awhile back, on the operating table. Sunny has never stopped mourning and meowing for his twin. Your blue jay is gorgeous!! The pig fits inside the wreath, but kind of takes away from the theme. Sending you all my love, I will be praying for you to be able to move on from this dreadful time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Annie!:) I'm so sorry for your loss, it's heart breaking to lose a beloved pet. Your Blue Jay sketches are beautiful Anni, and keeping busy, will help to ease the pain. Sending hugs your way, with empathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and thank for the hugs!!!

      Delete
  7. I wondered when I saw your last post if that's what happened. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to lose a fur baby. They really are so much more than just a pet. They're a part of the family and their passing leaves an emptiness. Even after all this time there are still days when I'll see a picture of Duke and start crying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's gonna be a rough time for some time...but your words help, thanks Ann

      Delete
  8. I am so sorry to hear about Winston! Those fur babies do become part of our families. He had a wonderful home and was well loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind Mari, Thanks.

      Delete
  9. When we have lost a true friend, it's always hard to pick up the reins of our lives again. I am sending you my love and wishes that all will be well soon. And some virtual hugs too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much D J....it means a great deal to me.

      Delete
  10. oh i am so very sorry for the loss of winston...losing a pet is so difficult and i know that quietness and heartbreak that goes with it...sending you hugs and prayers...that was so tragic about the pitcher...so young...i feel terrible for his family...your sketches are wonderful as well as the wreath! thank you so much for linking and i hope you have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You filled my heart with friendship Tanya. Thanks.

      Delete
  11. Oh my colorful and beautifully creative designs and this so gives me the push I need for my own drawing and shading and coloring! I'm vacationing with my favorite little artist and we're going to explore the world of art together. My little seven year old grand-daughter and me! Of course her kitty cat, Sparkle with try to play along with us too, she always does! Is that paper I hear?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry about the loss of Winston. Hopefully in time the pain will lessen and the memories will bring a smile to your face.

    Nice Five on Friday

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear about Winston. I'm sick and tired of the American election and all the hype we see on our Canadian television. Cant wait for it to be over. I'm visiting from Five on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very sorry to hear about Winston! I hope you will find comfort in getting back to a normal routine. Stop by if you get a chance:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2016/09/tea-time-homecoming-and-cream-puff-cake.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry to hear about Winston, it's going to be so difficult for you. Maybe you could get some old photos out and sketch him. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the condolences of our losing Winston!! Much appreciated.

      Delete
  16. The grieving of a well-loved pet takes time as you well know. It is still hard for us and our "Pal" who left on January 2 and we're not over it yet, but almost there. It is good to get into projects and pursuits that will occupy your mind somewhat and you just have to keep on. I'm so very sorry for your loss of Winston.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ever so much my friend!!! Yep, it's a hard road.

      Delete
  17. Oh, I'm so sorry about your dear little Winston, Anni! Losing a beloved pet is so incredibly hard. Be kind to yourself and take it one day at a time. Maybe stay away from the negative news.......This is one crazy world. Sending hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words are heartwarming Karen.

      Delete
  18. Anni we are so very sorry to read about Winston's passing. My goodness what a shock to read. They are our babies with fur. He was surely loved and lived a charmed life.
    Hugs to you all

    Lots of Bluejays at our bird bath and feeders. The hummers have not been seen since 9/24. I will keep a fresh feeder out for stragglers for a few weeks
    Hugs Cecilia and Madi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M&M!!! As for the hummers here, they're still abundant...but thinning out also.

      Delete
  19. I'm so sorry about Winston. A death of a furry friend is not something you can snap out of. Take time to grieve. Hugs from CO.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I lost my beloved Tiki on January 24 and I still cry for her almost every day. Opposite to Winston, she was all black.

    A black feral kitty living mostly in my neighbor's back yard was injured on July 2, and I took him to the vet where he remained for four weeks. He still had wounds which hadn't completely healed, so I brought him home. He is about two years old. The vet said that he could be neutered in two weeks, so we took care of that. What was I to do? I couldn't put him back out until he was completely healed. You guessed it. We rescued each other. I still miss my Tiki, but Pepper has lessened the pain.

    When I open the sliding door to the screened in patio, he comes running. If I then open the screen door to the outdoor patio, he turns and hightails it back into the house, as if to say, "You're not putting me out there. I'm a house kitty now".

    I didn't want another kitty; I wanted to travel without having to worry about a pet. The Universe moves in strange ways. I guess I'm meant to be a kitty mom. Maybe you are, too, and so think about another pet someday soon. It really does help ease the pain. So do tears, so cry away.

    ReplyDelete

.