my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


What Did I Hear? Is That RAIN on the Rooftop?!?!!

WEATHER

Altho, it's been hot and miserable most of the summer....as I type this [on Tuesday]...it finally RAINED!!! Last night and into early morning. The clouds remain heavy and dark, promising more rain perhaps. I can only hope!! Yesterday, on Monday, it was cloudy with a threat of rain, but no go. At least where I was. I actually left early in the morning, as the sun was rising among the darkened clouds, to return to Pollywog Ponds since there was a report of an Anhinga, and a Green Kingfisher spotted in the area. Around our neck of the woods, at one time, Anhingas were abundant along the river bank and near the lakes if there happened to be a heavily wooded area. Lately, the last three years, Anhingas seen are a very few! I was anxious to see one again. But, no such luck. I walked through the woods and tall grasses on the path again only to find a HUGE garden spider in the bird blind on the smaller pond! Yuk!! Creepy looking boogers.


Advancing toward the pond's shore I spied three tri-colored herons and a few kiskadees. The larger pond had least grebes, snowy egrets, common egrets, the ever-present stilts, green herons, kingbirds and sandpipers. Plus a few American Avocets.


At the Nueces River, nothing noteworthy. Until I rounded the corner to traipse the other side of the large pond...there I spotted a Green Kingisher. I was thrilled!  Walking back to the car, I sighted in on a Vagrant [meaning not supposed to be in our area of Texas] Hawk. I almost walked right on by it. It was posing in a tree across the feeder ditch, about thirty feet from me!! A beautiful specimen and it didn't fly off as I raised my lens! In fact it still may be there! LOL I am saving those photos for my bird photography blog. Then....walking further, I heard what I thought may have been an owl...but crossing the bridge of the feeder ditch, I followed the song....nope, no owl. It was actually a dove with a sore throat! But!!!!!!!---while there with my binoculars aimed at the dove, my peripheral vision caught sight of a black bird flying from the same tree to another tree. I thought it was a grackle...nope! Not a grackle...but a Groove Billed Ani!!! There were four Anis!! I was excited about those too. They're not all that scarce around here, but they're only here a very short time in a particular month!! Got a few pictures of them also, and saving them for my bird photography blog!


Instead, happy to see rain drops on the yard flowers....


Yellow flower is our Esperanza bush and the purple is King's Mantel


- - -

Fences and Sky Shots


Early Morning -fence line at Packery Channel Park on the Island
and
2nd story observation tower at Port Aransas

_ _ _


MOVIES



Sunday afternoon, Bud and I had a late lunch at Texas Roadhouse. Of all the restaurants we've patronized [and that is many!], we think this one has the BEST char-grilled steaks in town! We used to go to a chain restaurant in Colorado of the same name...same atmosphere and food quality. And they have some wonderful, always fresh and warm from the oven, dinner rolls. Laden with cholesterol to be sure. I had a sirloin, with house salad and a baked sweet potato with cinnamon butter. And a delicious frozen margarita! Bud had the same steak with steak fries and a salad. His margarita was on the rocks. I like mine frozen...I know it's odd, but I think I'm getting more for the money. LOL After finishing our meal, it was time to head to the nearby theater where we sat down in our reclining chairs to enjoy the movie, "Hell or High Water". The movie was slow to begin with, but the momentum went into high gear midway through...all the way to the end!  No spoilers here, but this:  Bank Robberies, West Texas....modern day 'western' with Jeff Bridges and the cute guy....Chris Pine, was better than I expected.  One of my favorite parts is The T-Bone Waitress!!!!!  We both enjoyed it a lot. And not to leave you hanging...the "coming soons" before the flick started...some have promise. Keeping Up With the Joneses, Magnificent Seven, and coming in November for Veteran's Day - Hacksaw Ridge [based on a true story]. I'm thinking this latter movie mentioned, being that it's directed by Mel Gibson, it will be graphic and bloody...but we both like the three genres depicted here...comedy, westerns, and war movies.

44 comments :

  1. What a wonderfully eventful birding trip! And your dripping flowers are gorgeous! SO glad of the rain...FINALLY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes....yay for some rain. We need so much more tho!! Thanks Ginny

      Delete
  2. Hooray for rain!
    You shard some great photos. I love the egrets.
    Texas roadhouse is one of our favorites and we say the same thing about the steaks there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari....your signature takes me nowhere, so I can't respond with a visit to your blog.

      Delete
    2. That's crazy - didn't work for me either. I'll have to go into my profile and see if I can figure it out.
      I came back to answer a question you left on my Wordless Wednesday post. The truck with all the flowers is about 5 minutes from my house, but not on my way to work - it's in the other direction. I thought it was a great use of an old truck!

      Delete
    3. Well - it looks like the signature is working now!

      Delete
    4. I was thinking it was you...but not sure!! It was a great photo for Wordless to be sure.

      Delete
    5. Yep...working now! :-)

      Delete
  3. I love so many things about this post!!! Other than the plain pleasure of simply visiting here! The garden spiders are in residence down at the ranch but NOT near our camper! They are beautiful in their own way.
    Texas Road House is Amber and Mike's all time favorite!!! And I am like you - I like my margaritas frozen - they last longer! LD always gets a beer. I don't think he's ever even tasted a margarita!! We are sitting in our gazebo and about ready to go to bed. The air has changed slightly. Feels a tiny bit fallish. I think we heard a few sprinkles on the gazebo roof and the air smells like moisture.
    Only one more day and it is September!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...August has been a very LONG month. But again, that month is always long and hot.

      Thanks Linda.

      Delete
  4. Three cheers for rain. Hope you get more. I'm not a fan of spiders but that one is pretty impressive looking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am like Dolly Parton -her song- "I hate spiders and snakes"!!

      yes....cheers for rain.

      Delete
  5. my list of want to see includes Hell or Highwater, Jason Bourne, Magnificent and one that I saw last night that will not come to the top of my memory 8 ball.
    love the sun on the edge of the building. the first thing I do when I come here is click on the first photo and go through the slide show. your photos are wonderful no matter what the subject. LOVE the ucky scary spider shot. and you are just toooooooo clever with the blinking asterisk telling us where the links are. glad you got the rain. we are getting lots of it and watching the storm out in the gulf. we have gotten 2 inches every day for a week which we needed. but north of us are flooded and more on the way.... bob would love the steaks, I would have to have a burger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saw Jason Bourne...it was a flop in our opinion....all he did throughout the movie was 'walk' around. Not much to it.

      I've not seen 8 ball previews. Will have to go online to check it out. Thanks Sandra.

      Delete
  6. Hello, Anni! YAY for the rain! Pretty birds and a cool spider, great photos. Hubby and I love Texas Roadhouse. I can eat their sweet potato plain, it taste so sweet. Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and cooked to perfection they sweet potatoes are!!!
      Thanks for stopping by Eileen.

      Delete
  7. I like the T-bone waitress, too! And we just had our first rain in forever, also. Love to see raindrops on those flowers. And congratulations on seeing those Ani birds, Anni! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked and looked for a youtube of the waitress scene to no avail.

      Glad we're both getting some much needed rain.

      Delete
  8. Oh please send us some rain. Our yard is brown and crunchy.
    I've seen on Ahinga when we were on a trip to Charleston, SC. Thankfully there was a birder near by to tell me what it was.
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I'd like to see is an Anhinga in breeding colors. In your area, they're in breeding season. Here...they're not here during that cycle. Bummer.

      Our yard is brown and crunchy too.

      Delete
  9. I am afraid for spiders. But I like your photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...I don't like spiders at all.

      Delete
  10. hate any kind of ole spiders....however, the photo you took sure is a good one.
    You live in the perfect place for bird watching...
    and WE finally got some good rains, too. We always need it out here in West Texas...
    Thanks so much for coming over...hope all is good in your world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...same to you to BJ....hoping all is well and good in West Texas!

      Delete
  11. That is one very beautiful spider and a great shot! Your picture of the wooden observation tower is wonderful with all of its angles and spaces. VERY glad to hear you finally had some rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen many of these spiders around our area, I don't like 'em no matter how colorful they are. LOL

      Thanks Ms. G

      Delete
  12. Amazing bird photos.The flowers and raindrops are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Im with you on the spider, don't like'm either or snakes. beautiful rain kissed flowers.
    glad you got to see some neat birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes two of us....snakes/spiders....ewwwww!!
      Thanks Felicia.

      Delete
  14. lots of egret activity here lately, too. love the yellow argiope (garden spider). the first fence/sun shot is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I too thought it was 'dramatic' so early in the a.m.

      Delete
  15. the garden spiders are pretty as far as spiders go and make such an interesting web! wonderful bird photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanya. But as far as I'm concerned...NO spider is pretty. lol

      Delete
  16. Sometimes I get excited thinking I hear an owl but it's one of our doves. We have a lot and they come to our feeder every day. Like your list of movies. We usually wait until they come out on DVD but these would be movies I would like to see. Enjoy your day! We have just had light rain so far but we're expecting more! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We too usually wait 'til DVD releases, but to be spontaneous, we decided to 'go for it'.

      So far, a little rain....that's good. Those Gulf Storms can be scary!! Stay safe.

      Delete
  17. I hope you get some rain out of this, Anni. Wonderful to get the photos of the rare birds! That spider creeps me out......but he is a beauty! Love the weathered decking and bright flowers. I haven't watched a good movie in ages.....maybe it's time! x Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I think of this movie, the better it was.
      Ya, we got some rain, but need a whole lot more to prevail from the drought in our part of Texas.

      Thanks Karen.

      Delete
  18. Hello Anni!:) Wow! I love your early morning shot of the fence line. I also dislike spiders, but there are some very attractive ones, like this one, and it's zigzag web is interesting. I wouldn't like to walk into one though, which is what happened to me early this morning when I let Mel out, but it was a small spider, and not scary. Your flower and bird images are so beautiful Anni. I go on my walks and never see, or hear a bird now, except for a pair of doves and the ever present Jays. I'm pleased that you got some rain, we are now hoping it rains here soon. Have a great weekend.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. colorful and all I still don't like spiders!! I hate being the first one to walk a path and find webs all around me and in my hair and on my clothes. lol

      Wish I could hear some jays in my part of the world. We have Green Jays, but they're so like a mockingbird mimicking other bird songs, it's hard to say what it is until you see their green/yellow/blue and black. Now blue jays on the other hand...they're gorgeous!!

      Delete
  19. You do well with your camera - especially the spider which made me cringe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spiders make ME cringe too. They're so creepy.

      Delete
  20. Nice fence shots today. - You spotted some great birds. I'll look forward to seeing the ones you didn't share on your other blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ida....I especially enjoyed your horse swing today!!

      Delete

.