Hot, Hot, HOT...and Birding for a NEW bird

As I type this...
There's a fine mist falling from the clouds and the temperature is a blistering 90 degrees with a heat factor of 97!! I did go out for a short time early in the morning, but the heat index kept me from walking much. Besides, my outing had a specific purpose...Monk Parakeets are nesting. And ironically they've been reported found busy building their communal nests in palm trees....ON CATHOLIC PROPERTY!! Imagine that. Do they know something that we can only wonder about?  I had to see for myself if I could also locate them.

    Fr. James Kelleher, SOLT, founding president of Our Lady of Corpus Christi, was given the inspiration to build a world class perpetual adoration chapel. The chapel would be built in the shape of a cross, with a 75 foot blue dome adorned with gold stars


Anyway, as I said, it was a short time out and about. The heat and humidity at the time of day was way too intense. The particular place is within the property boundaries of a beautiful blue domed church. Our Lady of Corpus Christi. Not only a wonderful church, but also a retreat for people [men and woman who have religious issues/health issues/ in need of strengthening their devotions, etc.], and a campus for degrees in theology I assume. As I walked the grounds and drove through the winding narrow roads throughout, searching for the nesting birds, I stopped and walked around the church, taking pictures...



...the main entrance




- and on the wooden doors there are four bronze plates depicting Christ's life -birth to resurection



...around the sacred grounds, from stain glass, another view of the blue dome from afar, the darkened candle room for silent prayer, and to the illumination of the alcove I thought was inspiring



...side entry, one bell tower, Our Lady in Stain Glass, and the candle room



...statue of Jesus Christ and the statue above the vast fountain



...as I walked back to the car so I could drive around more in search of the parakeets, I walked up to the bookstore/gift shop and snapped this photo near the entrance



The chapel you just visited can be seen as you come from the bayfront, or from Padre Island Drive, OR from either direction on Interstate 37. It's an awe inspiring sight to behold. And, oftentimes I find myself very thankful, knowing I'll be home safe soon since it's only about ten minutes from our house. I got back in the car and cranked up the air conditioner while the car was idling to cool the interior. Then, as I backed out, I left through the shaded narrow road that meanders through the grounds, putting my windows down and listening for the tell-tale uproar and commotion parakeets are known for. I ended up hitting the way out, and as I slowed for a speed bump near the exit gate, the ruckus was heard! I slowed down, found a shady area to pull over and got out of my vehicle and walked a bit, following the furor of the winged beauties. I found 'em. A LOT of THEM. As the mosquitoes gnawed at my ankles, I took pictures. The Monk Parakeet, introduced to the USA in 1960 from South America, is a new species photographed by me. I tried to find them about three or four years ago from a tip of a friend...but by the time I got there, they were gone. On this sweltering morning in June...I was elated!!

PS...I have a post already pre-scheduled that IS NOT the parakeets for Saturday's I'd Rather B Birdin' so, NEXT week, I will share the photos of the birds I got on that blog!!

26 comments :

  1. What a great looking church and that door oh my, how beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some parts are in need of refurbishing/refinishing, but it truly is pretty.

      Delete
  2. Reminds me of the beautiful Baptistery doors in Florence, Italy. I've been to Corpus Christi several times but have never seen the church. (Probably because I was focused on the terrific birding around there.) The heat, the humidity, and the mosquitos-- the price we pay for living in birding paradise! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can tolerate the heat and humidity for a while, but I just don't like mosquitoes. Spray, spray, spray. I even have a stash of it in the car. lol

      Delete
  3. I look forward to the pictures. Sometimes I wonder how you keep going in all that heat and humidity. There's a reason I live here and not there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind it all that much....but I really DON'T stay out in it very long without a 'cool down' and OFTEN!

      Delete
  4. Hello, it is a pretty church! I would love to see the monk parakeets. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read that they have been seen up along the NE coast...maybe someday you might find one.

      Delete
  5. I can imagine how your suffered in that heat but your photos are very very nice! I look forward to seeing the bird photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. G --- the heat isn't bad, the humidity is a whole 'nother thing. But getting somewhere to cool down, I'd be back out in it again and again.

      Delete
  6. i cant wait to see the monks you found at the Catholic church. i just love that story. and the church is so beautiful as are all your photos.. you are brave, all that heat and mosquitoes. i am meeting a blogger this Tuesday for lunch.. she is driving an hour out of her way to meet me... i said it is to hot to go outsie to a garden or all the things here that would be fun. i don't do heat OR mosquitoes. we just had a lot of rain and more on the way and when we step in the yard they swarm us... i am thinking of a bee keepers hat so i can keep them away while i am in the pool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh those pesky blood suckers! I know. Enjoy the meeting.

      Delete
  7. love your new header

    ReplyDelete
  8. I look forward to seeing pictures of the Parakeets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got it set up for this coming Saturday.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful tour. Appreciate you sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful church!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH NO, I finally get back to blogging, and eventually saw your name, but couldn't leave a comment yesterday, so I came back today, whereupon you taunted us with mention of monk parakeets, but published only lovely photos of a beautiful church/campus, making us wait for the parakeets. Sigh.
    Just kidding, Anni, but I'm happy to be back to blogging, and am looking forward to the monk parakeets (I've never heard of them, but Canadians lead a deprived existence). Hugs from here.
    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay!!! It's so good to see you blogging again. Yep, I'm such a tease...that keeps you coming back when you have time. Next Saturday....I will have the post ready on my bird blog.

      Delete
  12. PS— I looked them up, and monk parakeets who aren't Catholic are called Quaker parakeets. :)
    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....you got that right. You have done your research. A+ for your efforts.

      Delete
  13. Nice chapel and all the fixings. I love your story about finding the parakeets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed this Yogi.

      Delete

.