“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW





Was she a Spirit, an Angel?

Without cable for TV any longer [which I don't miss at all!]...the other day I was watching NCIS New Orleans online and the commercial just made me giggle....such cuteness ever!!   Of course, the cellphone was on my desk and snap away I did!! I think the song in the commercial is sung [or was a long time ago] by Sonny & Cher, right? Yep, Sonny & Cher! [I had to Google this....whoa 1966. That's 50 years ago!!]


Little man, when you stand by my side
Then I know I don't have to hide from anyone
And I pray that we'll stay just that way
'Till the day comes along when we catch the sun.


Watch the commercial here.


- - -

TripAdvisor has this restaurant in town [there are two...one south and the other north] as a 5-star ★★★★★ establishment. We stopped here the other day for a quick lunch. I ordered the Taco Spud. It is a one pound potato with taco seasoned beef, a sprinkling of melted cheese, mild salsa. As an extra side order I had them add sliced avocado. It was delicious. And I am going to make this again at home from my own pantry/freezer. Very filling, and not as 'heavy' as it looks. I was satisfied without being bloated. Of course, I didn't finish it all...one pound of potato is too much for me. Bud got the leftovers to go with his grilled turkey sandwich. Prices are reasonable, service was very congenial, and restaurant was exceptionally clean!  Oh, and a salad bar that was incredibly huge with a 'world' of variety, kept nicely chilled on ice!!


- - -


Oftentimes when I don't feel like driving much distance to go photograph birds, I stop at the largest cemetery here in town. The area is literally a live oak and palm tree 'forest'. And of course with paved lanes throughout all the sections, it makes a very pleasant walk. And it's a 'birding hotspot' according to website lists for birding along the Coastal Bend of Texas. Walking in silence the other afternoon, listening for the calls of different birds....in the shadows of a large cypress tree was a pretty massive headstone marker. At first, I was startled, then realizing she was more than likely alone and by the side of a family member, I had come upon an 'apparition'....



...in respect of her privacy and prayer, I immediately turned away in silence and walked from her. I couldn't help but turn around and photograph her beauty, being where we were at the time, perhaps I'd seen an angel!!


- - -

Our backyard has been invaded by Redwinged Blackbirds. The lawn is a blanket of black at times!!  When I go out to refill the feeders and suet stations, it sounds like a tropical forest with all them anxiously awaiting to be fed again. Their song is so nice. But, lately, 50#s of seed and 10 suet cakes in a month!! I can't keep up with them. I do know that when they leave for more comfortable, northern climes, the hummingbirds will begin to show up. And I'll then be kept busy mixing the sugar nectar for their feeders!





- - -


Oftentimes, either here at Hootin' Anni's or at my bird photo blog, I'd Rather B Birdin', I've mentioned the Salt Flats at Charlie's Pasture on Mustang Island. There is a two mile boardwalk that meanders through the salt flats, with a mixture of chaparral and water vegetation for a great variety of land and water birds. Most times there is water for the wildlife [where we have often seen tracks of raccoon, rabbit and deer], other times the flats are what Bud and I call 'popcorn fart' dry! A few months ago, this is what we saw out walking the boardwalk...



...then, we had the heavy rainfall in one day. It replenished the dry parched land!



When it's Springtime in Texas. If you don't like the weather one day, just wait 'til the next.










30 comments :

  1. I've seen that commercial before. It is pretty cute. That taco spud looks pretty good but I agree that a 1 pound spud would be an awful lot to teat

    ReplyDelete
  2. it might even be a lot to eat. (Goes along with my auto correct post today but this wasn't auto corrects fault this was just a plain ole' typo)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh oh....I wasn't about to say anything about your typo until I saw YOUR post today "I ♥ Comments". It's payback time. *wink*

      Delete
  3. That food looks yummy, don't mind if I try this myself? Youy moody weather pics I loved, of course, hope your Easter weekend's a pleasurable one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. V....hope your Easter was happy and loving!!

      Delete
  4. That does look like a lot of food for one sitting, but I would have given it a try myself, without the beef of course. Those blackbirds are hungry critters! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall, now, you ARE a vegetarian. It would be just as good without the beef, I'm sure.

      Delete
  5. I have never eaten either a taco nor an avocado but the baked potato is right up my alley. Love potatoes and it shows! Are there mustang on that island still?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my first taco when my brother married a Spanish lady [Mexican]. And, could she cook. Even homemade tortillas. Yum.

      As far as I know there are no wild horses around on the islands.

      Delete
  6. I think I would like the Taco Spud, probably too much for me. Our hummingbirds are keeping me busy. Just a few, probably the same ones every year. That cemetery sounds interesting. We stop at country cemeteries often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't had ANY hummers yet. But that doesn't mean they're not around...just haven't seen any. I'm happy to see you...you've been missed. Hope you're just busy this time of year and nothing's seriously keeping you from blogging...health-wise anyway.

      Delete
  7. Redwinged blackbirds certainly can scoop up the seed! They are really beautiful birds but my goodness there are so many of them! They outcompeted my goldfinches over the winter for seed and that did not sit well with me!
    Next time we are down your way, we will have to give People's a try.
    You are right, cemeteries can be an excellent place for birding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....if you ever get our way, People's is a good place to dine.

      Delete
  8. Hello Anni, I just love that cute horse and the commercial. Your loaded potato looks delicious. It seems like it would be easy to make at home too. The blackbirds everywhere seem to be piggies at the feeders. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it WOULD be easy to prepare.

      Delete
  9. Good write thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the red winged blackbirds!! They are not visitors to our yard or feeders but I see them when I walk along the lake at North Lake College here in Irving.
    Now back to that potato!!!!! I have some HUGE baking potatoes and I am SO going to make this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you like 'em. I know I sure do.

      Delete
  11. I love that ad - it's so sweet!
    We like baked potato with chili on it, I bet your taco tato is similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good. I have had the potato with chili beans. That too is good.

      Delete
  12. ingredients in my hamburger casserole-1 pound hamburger, carrots, stewed tomatoes, sliced potatoes,, cream of chicken soup, chicken broth ,sour cream, and shredded cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you....sounds delicious!!!

      Delete
  13. You always have the most delightful and endearing posts. Today you added magical! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun .... Birds, food, an angel (she does look like one), and sweet memories (Charlie's pasture) for me... Couldn't ask for anything more in a post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sallie....it used to be such a 'wetland'...but here of late, it dries up all too quickly it seems.

      Delete

.