MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Look! Up in the Sky-it's a BIRD...no, a feather...wait, a Cloud!!

Of course y'all should know by now I love searching the fields for wildflowers. I think these were strategically planted, and perhaps plant-nursery-grown for the city's parks. The sunlight was on them the other day, and it brightened the pathways...


This looks like pea vetch to me, but I'm not 100% sure on this. Perhaps someone knows more...


This is a bush more than low lying wildflowers...a Coral Bean Blossom. Baltimore Orioles LOVE these!!


This resembles Brown-eyed Susan

- - -

I spotted, along the walkway, far from the property fence, a couple of critters that would LOVE chomping away at those wildflowers, I betcha, uh-huh!!


I think goats are awesome!!


- - -

Along Packery Channel Park's new boardwalk and observations areas, in conjunction with the City Parks and Rec and the Audubon Club/Society, they have been busy doing some improvements and landscaping. Along with a small pond and palm tree area, flower beds, and tree planting along the new and extended boardwalk, they have placed several 'watering' holes for the bird/wildlife. They're actually stone drip systems. With the intricate designing the water tubing is artistic and shapely....they also spray the water to attract the birds more easily. Not only the spray, but the tubing also drips onto the stone and there is water run-off along the edges. Moving water is a great attraction to all wildlife. This is a plus in my book. I tried to wait so when the spray comes out, I could get the water to show in the photo; near top right of the photo with the water spray cascading downward. This is the best I got...



- - -

On the subject of 'feathered friends'....several days ago, I spied this in the sky. Bud thought it resembled a broom, I immediately went to the bird FEATHER. Any other ideas? It stayed this formation for a LONG time as it drifted toward the sea with the upper easterly wind currents. I'm wondering how many others from below saw this cloud formation as I and Bud did.




On a side note:

I think that one of the two earliest acronyms is AM and PM [both refer to time]. A M of course is short for ante meridiem {before noon} and P M is short for post meridiem {after midday}

I was wondering about TV...when was television shortened to TV? Of course it can't be all that long ago since television is relatively 'new', comparing to AM and PM.

Looking for it [never found it 'cause I was sidetracked]....I did find, however, the LONGEST acronym ....the longest acronym, according to the 1965 edition of Acronyms, Initialisms and Abbreviations Dictionary, is ADCOMSUBORDCOMPHIBSPAC, a United States Navy term that stands for "Administrative Command, Amphibious Forces, Pacific Fleet Subordinate Command."  There was another with Russian lettering stated as the WORLD'S longest...click here to see the acronym reference....and scroll to 'extremes'.  It hails at 56 letters in length [Guinness World Records]

A few other acronyms in use as words today.  For instance:

self-contained underwater breathing apparatus  SCUBA
light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation  LASER
canine... used to designate police units utilizing dogs  K9

 a couple that come to mind that are mispronounced in a way...

 personal identification number  PIN  often spoken with a 2nd 'number'....PIN-Number
 automated teller machine  ATM often spoken with a 2nd 'machine'....ATM-Machine.
I OWE YOU {IOU}....shouldn't that be IOY?

I never did find the origin of the acronym TV. LOL



77 comments :

  1. I love your new owl header! And there's nothing like the Texas wildflowers in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Texas wildflowers [if enough rain] are always a show of shows!

      Delete
  2. it looks like God's feather duster in the sky to me... and the red bean flowers grow wild at Emerson Park but i saw none last week. very odd.
    I love goats.. especially baby goats. thanks for the chuckles on the acronym's .. now i have to look up TV... my favorite of all are books and movies about FBI, CIA, DEA, SEALS etc.... now i am on a roll. NYPD and it goes on and one. i love cops/military. had never thought about the ATM and PIN thing. you have done a lot of wondering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "God's feather duster"....I like that. Maybe he was trying to clean our country up a bit?!!

      Delete
  3. Very enjoyable, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a 'squid' or calamari in Italian ~ great shot !

    Happy Weekend coming to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...a squid. Yes, now that you mention it.

      Delete
  5. I love the milkweed cloud! Or is is a sky high jellyfish? Or a lady with flowing long hair? Nice picture. As for goats...they are full of personality and funny critters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...milkweed. Awesome concept.

      Delete
  6. BF for Best friend, BFF for best friend forever, OMG...all those that come with the Iphone communication and texting. Also WTF, which I don't use, cuz just because it is disguised doesn't mean it's not a swear word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You came up with some good ones.

      Delete
  7. I also think that cloud looks like a broom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you and Bud. Broom Hildas. [kidding]

      Delete
  8. I love that billy goat's beard! And all that information about acronyms, which are so ubiquitous as to be almost invisible. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. in other words we tend to ignore them so common they are these days. Good point.

      Delete
  9. PIN number is redundant redundancy ;)). The feather cloud is amazing...I've never seen anything like it; maybe it just showed up for you because you are such an extraordinary birder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit awe inspiring...no matter what 'shape' it was to others and myself.

      Delete
  10. Very pretty flowers and lovely cloud formation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...it's nice to see you visit with me again Rajesh.

      Delete
  11. The only thing i have blooming is my snow drops and crocus. It been raining off and on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as the rains are not torrential...it will be good for the future blooms.

      Delete
  12. A feather for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to pay you a visit...all three blogs of yours listed in your profile either wouldn't load or no posts!! Thanks for the visit tho.

      Delete
  13. First, I just LOVE your owl header!!! Stunning! I spent an extra minute or two just enjoying it before going on to read!
    That cloud was amazing! Wonder what formed it so?

    ReplyDelete
  14. The flowers are so pretty! I love the way they did that irrigation.
    I see a feather too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jellyfish. I like the acronym review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jellyfish...quite a few have said it is resembling a jellyfish!!

      Delete
  16. looks like a jelly fish...interesting post. Thanks for sharing the longest acronyms :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thought it looked like a squid also. Great capture

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great shots. That cloud looks like a jellyfish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jellyfish....good interpretation!

      Delete
  19. I think it looks like an upside down ethereal thistle head,
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....thistle. I like your thinking!

      Delete
  20. The cloud looks like a flower blossom to me.
    I thought that tubing for the water was just branches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it IS part branches AND tubing. A flower blossom...hmmmm.

      Delete
  21. a bunch of nature's beauty

    ReplyDelete
  22. gorgeous shots, i love all those flowers! can't wait to plant some here at home. i'm thinking geraniums for my front porch and i also want to get some window boxes. doesn't that goat look like he's smiling? so cute! thanks so much for linking and have a great weekend/easter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tanya...happy Easter to you and your family!!

      Delete
  23. beautiful flowers! interesting cloud... and that loooong acronym! have a lovely Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jandi...and hope you and your family have a wonderful Easter too.

      Delete
  24. Now you have my mind singing "Always Something There To Remind Me . . . " - back of everything is wonder and joy and always more . . . thank you for sharing with me - you've given me a lot more to consider today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's good to know you enjoyed my post today Maggid.

      Delete
  25. Thank you! As always you have peaked my interest and set the "little gray cells" to work. I especially like the photo of the wispy cloud! It does, indeed, look like a feather! WOW! Happy Easter, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The new header is great. I haven't visited in a while. Yes that cloud has a real feather quality to it. Nicely captured. Have a blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's great to have you visit again.

      Delete
  27. Anni, I love how you get side-tracked, the information both interesting and amusing *grin*
    And your piccies, clear, beautiful light, the detail. You are truly a gifted photographer. You have a good 'eye'.
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwwwwww, shucks, Ms. V. You touch my heart.

      Delete
  28. Hello, awesome looking cloud capture. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend! Happy Easter to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. And, may your family have a blessed holiday weekend.

      Delete
  29. Everything about this post was awesome Anni, and how blessed I am that you shared it with Today's Flowers. Thank you so much! Happy weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and thank YOU so much Denise.

      Delete
  30. I expanded the view of the pics and right away picked the one with the water as my favorite. Though I sure love the others. As for the cloud...looks like a cloud of dust that is left behind after a rocket has launched...grasping at straws. It does remind me of something but I can't think what it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it could very well be the remnants of a rocket exhaust!! Well done Rose.

      Delete
  31. Pretty shots, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly dear one.

      Delete
  32. Beautiful shots! I loved the macros of the plants. They are so colourful. That cloud formation is special too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. the sky snapshot for me looks like a shape of jelly fish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many agree with you...several have stated "jellyfish"

      Delete
  34. I enjoyed this post. Love that long acronym.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't even begin to know just how to pronounce it tho, would you?

      Delete
  35. Hello Anni, I love your owl header. I love goats and all animals. The cloud is beautiful. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy weekend! Wishing you and your family a Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Eileen.

      Delete
  36. Such interesting info on acronyms! Love your beautiful wildflowers! And I am so happy they are improving the Audubon site. Love the feathery cloud too. Hope you have a wonderful Easter. I am enjoying the Palo Verdes...the verdin also love to nest in them and the last picture I posted of the three was of the tree behind my back yard fence that got cut down by our homeowner because it was close to the fence (much to my dismay!) that had a verdin nest in it. I am hoping they build in one of the two I have in the front yard, but I haven't seen anything yet. Still, the verdin stick around because of my hummingbird feeders, anyway. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope they choose a new home!!!

      Delete
  37. I'm not very good at knowing flowers, but they are pretty. I kinda love goats too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

.