my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




A Walk in the Woods...

Lately, Bud and I haven't been home much.  The weather has greatly improved and we...well...The two of us were anxious to get back outdoors, hiking the trails and doing some birding! We drove to Rockport-Fulton Texas one day, over the Copano Bay, and onto Goose Island State Park in hopes that the largest land bird, the whooping cranes, would be out in that area. Along the north bay shore, there were TWO spotted. At such a far distance, the photos aren't that good, but they'll have to suffice for my 2016 year records. With the two whooping cranes, there were a few Sandhill Cranes and one lone great blue heron in the field. Of course, where there are cattle grazing, you're bound to see a few vultures too. Black vultures soaring high above the cranes and cattle. Where the car was parked, on the shoulder of the park road, several grackles were scrounging the grasses between the road and the bay water.

Great Blue Heron in the open field


After taking several photos of the cranes.... we hopped back in the car and drove to the state park entrance to walk the Lantana Trailhead through the massive Live Oak trees. Very few birds were active, we saw mockingbirds, cardinals, gnatcathers, sparrows, one very large hawk flew from one area, startling me...and disappeared in the branches to not be seen again...perhaps it was an owl. I'm not sure. We found a couple of glossy leafed magnolia trees among the oak and one lone pine. We both had hoped to see some white-tailed deer while in the woods or out in the open meadows...but no luck. On the return trek, to the car, I spotted a couple of cute black crested titmice/titmouses [plural is NOT tit-mice according to my guide books -BUT the wikidictionary shows this: NOUN titmouse ‎(plural titmouses or titmice)]


Come take a walk with me through the woods:


Black Crested Titmouse





The Trail:



38 comments :

  1. Lovely! Glad you're getting out and taking pictures to share with me, Anni. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I'm glad you enjoyed the walk with me DJ

      Delete
  2. You gad-about, you! Thank you for the gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...happy that you came along!

      Delete
  3. You sure get around and see interesting and nice wildlife. I especially like the mossy trees and the red heart-shaped leaf! (nice nails!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment. I too loved the moss. It was everywhere.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the lovely walk through the woods,Anni. So beautiful. The blue herons are so funny when they have their next all scrunched up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree....love those herons!! Especially when their 'cowl' pin feathers sway in the breeze. Happy that you walked along with me Linda.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely walk to start my day, Anni!! Beautiful captures as always!! I do hope you have a wonderful weekend!! Enjoy!! I'm just hoping we MAY see a little sun before the weekend is over!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something about the bright sunshine...even if the weather is cold and wintry in temp...it soothes the soul. Have a great weekend yourself Sylvia.

      Delete
  6. Hi Anni, thank you for taking me along! I loved it! I especially love the heart-shaped leaf and tit-mouse! Wishing you a beautiful 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's to a great 2016 for you and your family Jandi. And it's good to know you enjoyed the trek with me.

      Delete
  7. Hi Anni...oh my goodness the Heron photo is amazing....every detail on him/her is visible!
    I love the collage especially the little red heart. Titmouse is one of my favorite backyard birds and a regular at my bird buffet
    Hugs Madi and Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....and you know....ironically, I thought of YOU dear Mom...when I saw the heart shaped leaf on the path....red, and heart. Two of your favorite things. Take THAT Madi. [insert wink]

      Delete
  8. I love that first picture with the bird framed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are plentiful in Texas, but never do I tire of photographing them. Glad you loved the picture today Paula.

      Delete
  9. Nice to be able to get out and about. Everything looks so green and pretty there. It's all brown and white here now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...come on down here, bring Gibbs of course. :-)

      Delete
  10. That trail looks very interesting and one I would love to walk along.Having never seen a Whooping Crane,I would be excited just to see them from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....what I'd like to see/witness with Whooping Cranes, is, their courting ritual. Live and in person. Not on Nat. Geo!! Thanks Ruth.

      Delete
  11. Great shots - those cranes are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed...they are amazing. Thanks Fiona.

      Delete
  12. Great sitings Annie! Lovely nature shots!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to see you returned after your blogging break!!! Thanks for coming along on my walk in the woods.

      Delete
  13. Hello Anni, I am glad the weather is better and you are able to get out birding. Cool sighting of the Cranes and the cute Titmouse. The trail and plants look pretty too. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting Eileen...and have a happy weekend yourself!

      Delete
  14. What a lovely place totake a walk and see the nature all around you. I love the Heron Shots Annie. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret. Hope you too have a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  15. I think the titmouse is adorable. Titmice (any variety) are on my wish list for 2016. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree....they ARE adorable.

      Delete
  16. Beautiful walk in this leafy world. The Great Blue Heron is such an impressive, solid looking bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gemma!!! It's been a long time seeing you!! Hope you're well. Thanks for tagging along with me on the trail!!

      Delete
  17. Would love to walk this trail...I love the heron shots too...I need to visit this place...I also live on the Texas Coast, the upper coast near Galveston :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....it's not that far from Galveston. It's worth the drive. For the Whooping Cranes wintering in our area. And of course, Goose Island.

      Delete
  18. Lovely photography of birds ~ you are definitely 'birders' ~

    Wishing you a fun weekend and lots of bird sightings ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At some point, there is laundry to do. Birds'll have to wait for me. LOL

      Thanks Carol

      Delete
  19. That heart shaped leaf just made me stop and look long and hard! How exquisite!
    Speaking of lantana as in Lantana Trail - when we left home last week the lantana was still blooming in out front flower bed!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya...our lantana is blooming profusely right now too.

      Delete

.