my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




A Book, Being a CRAB, and a Bit O' SITE Seeing...

This is a post of an eclectic list of some of the most recent best sites/blogs I've visited on the 'net [IMHO], on being a CRAB, and a book I couldn't resist.

First: The Life a CRAB [or two] in photo form:


sand crab


blue crab


What a fun, fascinating children's book that was first published in 1902. The particular edition I bought was republished in 2009, and I found it on the Christmas Book Display Table at Half Price Bookstore here in town. I bought it for two reasons mainly...the subject, SANTA, and the art work! But, once home, I sat down and read the short story. Through the pages, the author [Wizard of OZ author, L. Frank Braum] regales the life and times of Santa Claus. How he was an abandoned [orphaned] human raised by the forest nymphs, gnomes and wizard of the forest. Growing up, creating toys with the help of the forest creatures, giving away his work to make children thrilled, the reindeer---how they flew through the air, the Christmas Tree origins, the stockings hung by the chimney, the tradition of the one night a year giving....and becoming a Saint.
    "What will you do?" asked the Queen. 
    "I will dedicate myself to the children and make them happy...." Claus replied


The Book Cover  - Santa [Claus] as a child


The "Reason" of the Christmas Tree & a Royal Princess with a 'dolly' from Santa


Jingle Bells on the Two Front Reindeer & the flying chosen ones!!


Claus working on Toys with helpers & the origin of the Stockings hung by the chimney


...and third: GREAT SITES for a bit of site seeing:

1- The top one I choose 'cause of its wonderful stories. All published by unknowns as far as I know, but if you find yourself wanting to spend a couple hours or so in quiet, this is the place to stop by and read some of the most fascinating, intriguing stories you'll find online!! True stories with a flaired style of novels.


2- This site can bring you to tears with laughter, humor, craziness, or perhaps make you stop and think.  Each 'story' [some with  photos or videos that'll crack you up] is 22 words or less.  i.e. -- the exploding bean bag.



3- If Science and Nature is your 'thing' like I like to experience, then this site is perfect for you.  Watch experiments and be awed.  For instance a slow motion fire tornado or a galactic light show in an abandoned plane fuselage.





Sploid  [brain candy!!]

4-   This site is like an online Home Improvement show!!  Remember Tim "The Toolman" Taylor and his family in the sit-com?  Most have the directions for the DIY'ers.  I like this concept.  Example: A newly modernized coffee table that converts to a laptop table or a TV dinner tray for two.  But, there is everything imaginable if you take time to peruse what's offered. You may get inspired to create your own version of something found here.




5- The last one is a bit more than one site, but all are worthy if you've ever been the 'curious one' in the family. Especially interested in the celebrity of actors, sports stars, even one name wonders!! Here are a few to get you started:



Charo [a native Spaniard who came to fame with music, dancing, comedy in the 1970s]

Her 'real' name? Check it out:

María Rosario Pilar Martínez Molina Moquiere de les Esperades Santa Ana Romanguera y de la Najosa Rasten



or a slideshow of real names revealed from Fox Cable [kinda slow loading]

40 comments :

  1. WOW! I definitely need more time to read some of your suggested blogs. The Santa book and story is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are neat websites, I hope you peruse one or two...or all in time.

      Delete
  2. I love the illustrations in that Santa book. And thanks for the links. I'll go exploring and enjoying. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you can enjoy a few of the sites DJ.

      Delete
  3. My daughter took up the reading that I left off. Once I got involved in creating, then my time for reading pretty much faded. My oldest daughter though can read a book a day and she is a full time mother and high school teacher. I at least love that I passed off my once good habit~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read as much as I'd like...there are too many other interests that take precedence. But I like books....just the smell and the feel of having one in my hand suffices sometimes.

      Delete
  4. Anni my son in law is a ''crab expert'....truly that is his profession. He works in a Seafood Lab on our coast. Specializing in crabbing, crab safety and crab packing. Did you know adult coloring books are in vogue?
    They are and coloring was always a favorite pass time as a child. I have a coloring book and coloring pencils on my Christmas list.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somewhere along the line your SIL got some 'crabby' genes then, huh? [kidding!]

      Delete
  5. Anni, those are some very interesting sites, indeed. I'll check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good!!! Glad I could direct you to some better sites on the 'net.

      Delete
  6. You do find great books, Anni!! Thank you for sharing!! I hope you have a beautiful, fun weekend!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your weekend too Sylvia...thanks!

      Delete
  7. The books are beautiful! The art work in the is just exquisite. And I particularly like the photos of the crab! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two different crabs....I'm glad you enjoyed the book art Cathy.

      Delete
  8. I like unusual furniture so I like the coffee table. My son-in-law just built a bench with a litter box built underneath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that bench is quite unusual!!

      Delete
  9. I love browsing through old Christmas books, and I have lots of them since I lived in Germany for 5 years when I was a kid. They are so much better then new editions. I like to display them on the table during the winter season.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE seeing your collection of books!

      Delete
  10. I've been to instructables before and occasionally go to check things out. The others all sound interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This doesn't surprise me at all since you do so much crafting!!

      Delete
  11. When and if I have time I will chaek the sites out but right now I am just about to go to Malawi for a month! Have a lovely Christmas Anni an my 2016 be a blessed year for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your vacation to Malawi....and happy new year to you too Margaret.

      Delete
  12. I really like the shadow you captured of the Sand Crab. Charo's real name sure is a mouthful. I read it out to my Wife & I had to take a couple of breaths part way through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the shadow also...helps to actually SEE the crab itself.

      Delete
  13. "Eclectic" is definitely the word for that mix of recommendations Anni. A book about crabs is surely something quite different, especially if there are lots of photos of weird and wonderful creatures. In the meantime I am the world's worst DIYer, I kid you not.

    Think I'd best stick to birding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, you and me both when it comes to birding....it's a GOOD craft if you ask me.

      Delete
  14. The book's illustrations are lovely, yep it's that time of year again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Anni, the blue crab is popular here in Maryland's Chesapeake Bay. They are both cute crabs & photos. Thanks for sharing all the different website links. Your Santa Claus book is awesome, beautiful illustrations.
    Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed!! I know of the Maryland's Blue Crabs. Thanks for hosting

      Delete
  16. Great photo of the crabs I never thought they could look cute but in your pics they do!
    I loved Tim the Tool man! Great show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're fun to watch walk....sideways.

      Delete
  17. Thanks for listing these wonderful sounding web sites. I'll have to come back when I have more time to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'll be here if and when you find time.

      Delete
  18. Beautiful Santa book!
    Have a great week-end!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great book with wonderful illustrations...thanks Lea

      Delete
  19. Love the crab - shadow crab pic, Anni.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the crab photos.

      Delete
  20. What a great collection! I browse several of those links on a regular basis - looking for projects for my husband lol But those crabs are amazing! Thanks for sharing them with us at Photo Friday!

    ReplyDelete

.