“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Just for the Hell-uv-it

This post is truly nothing but random photos and thoughts! So, leave if you must, or stick around. Maybe you'll find something a bit fun, oddball, or way out of the park. Here goes. Remember, just eclectic, random stuff---


I was fascinated and stayed around to view the images taken by this little drone!!!  May be a good way to get nature noted photos that no one can see by just standing alone on a path!!!


If you're into photography [or birding like I am], you may come across someone with a new 'popular' toy! It's actually a robot camera....video or slide photos. It's called a drone. A few weeks ago, when I was on one of my solo outings when Bud stayed home instead, I was intrigued by this couple at a birding refuge. Of course, you are supposed to get permission to fly these from the FAA. Most people probably don't realize that. The drones can become a liability suit with the government agencies and there have been known incidents of harming other animals AND pedestrians. So, be aware of the rules.  With this husband and wife duo playing around with their new hobby, I viewed the photos taken from the drone that loads the images to the laptop computer instantly.  I must say it needs a bit of improvement in quality photos, but it may be a good investment if you're into something like this.  Who knows.  Me? I'd prefer a first hand look and get better angles and zooming in when I want....with a hand held camera.  You can buy them online.  But I caution anyone who is thinking of purchasing these...Read the Rules of the FAA or your laws of your country first!!!  Fines, lawsuits, jail time may not be in your best interest.




I find it a bit "odd" that Mexican Tradition, like Day of the Dead, and their seasonal/celebratory jewelry is MADE IN USA while American Tradition [like red white and blue fireworks] are MADE IN MEXICO?!! *Yes, I bought the ring AND the earrings. At the Jazz Festival!!




...speaking of Jazz Festival. This year it was a bit of a disappointment. The bands, while we were there, weren't playing the "good" jazz of our era, like Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington...but, the music at the other stages set up for the festival, were for the most part way too modern and more rap tempo than jazz!!! Several areas with the likes of the rose garden, etc. were cordoned off to 'non-members'...why? And unless you're musicians, a lot of the grounds were fenced from us commoners. The only open areas were of the vendors and seating areas around the stages unlike those in years past. Oh well. That's a sign of the times I guess. But, I don't have to like it.




...this 'side show', seen below,  I liked a lot. Such a cutie. And she entertained us with her jiving and clapping. In sync and full of rhythm!




Monday I was not home all morning. But I wasn't birding. I was test driving new cars. I finally picked one out of those I drove. What a hassle. In my teens, I used to like the fast sporty cars and loved driving them, racing them, checking out the new models that came out each year. Now, at my age, a car is a car. It isn't the need for speed and the sleek, shiny look any more; it's the need for comfort more than anything. lol Blah, blah, blah. Cars and all the computer gadgets, on star, syncing my phone to verbal commands, etc. The car I now call mine even has heated seats!! In South Texas? Why? That might be well and good in the snowy wintry Colorado...but here? I'd much rather have cool air, from the seat, blowing up my arse for SUMMER!! I say, who cares about all this extra stuff that is sure to break down once the warranty expires? As long as it's reliable and runs. No need to 'sell me' on all the extras. And the price of one automobile...my goodness....back in my teens, I could've had TWO homes built for the price of one front bumper on a car today!!! And they're not built as sturdy or last as long as they did back in the '60s either. :::sigh:::

....more oddball stuff coming right up!!


Here is a new beer Bud and I tried. Bought it for the jug more than anything. Just 'cause. It's called Mississippi Mud. "Little Brown Jug How I Love Thee"! Oh, maybe you're curious of the taste?!! Smooth, dark stout - pilsner. No bitter after taste. I recommend you try it, if you like a cold icy beer with your deli sandwich! That is, if you can find it in your area. By the way, have you heard about the pirate who went into a bar>>>>


    A pirate walks into a bar and orders a drink. The bartender looks down and says "You know that you have a steering wheel in your pants?" The pirate replies "Ay, it's drivin' me nuts!"



 Ready for another?  I'll leave it up to you to figure it out.
A termite walks into a bar and says "is the bartender here?"



...Argh!! That 'bout does it fer me message this day, matey. woe ye enjoyed ye visit. Don't be a scurvy dog!!!

pirate translator







*bar  tender

31 comments :

  1. *groooan* You earned it with those jokes. ;-)

    The Great Scot keeps 'hinting' that he wants a drone... hints consisting of incessant emails with examples of the drones he likes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly wasn't all that impressed with this guy's drone. Nor the guy. rofl

      Delete
  2. One can get drones with HD cameras and they are pretty spectacular. Owners without common sense are going to kill it for everybody. Playing with one in a bird refuge doesn't seem very sensible.
    We used to have a good Jazz Festival here in Tulsa but the corporate sponsor went bellyup so no more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said, I'd much prefer the hand held camera...aiming, focusing, and seeing what I photograph first hand.

      Delete
  3. that little baby girl is absolute adorable... bob wants a drone, i say no, he has 40 planes and i have a couple of cameras. no need to have one. i am with you on the car comfort. i loved driving our corvette but is we had it now could not get down in it or up out of it. i have to have an SUV that the seat height allows me to turn/sit and sit/turn to get up.... comfort on cars, clothes and shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, comfort is essential!!

      Delete
  4. Well, that was fun. Sad to learn that jazz festivals are not much fun any more. I love the early jazz, too. And such a cute little girl! Thanks for sharing, Anni. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....that she was...she was more entertaining than some of the bands. lol

      Delete
  5. Hello Anni!:) Drones are becoming popular buys here, but I would get separation anxiety if i didn't have my camera in my hand, so have no thoughts about investing in a drone. I'm with you on the kind of Jazz music I like, could listen to those golden oldies all day. I've had the same car for twenty years, it's a white Citroen, it's comfortable and the suspension is great which is all I care about in a car. I laughed at the heated seats, and the jokes, so I'm glad I stuck around for a while.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow....the American cars are not built to last that long. I envy you. I too would much prefer camera in hand.

      Delete
  6. Ah, the perfect way to start my day, Annie, as always!! Thanks for the grins and the giggles!! Plus!! thanks for a look at the Drones!! Haven't seen one before!! Hope you have a great week!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the drones are quite the 'in thing' to purchase and own these days.

      Delete
  7. Oh the drones are quite interesting. I just had a big smile on my face seeing that darling little girl. I just love her out fit too..Oh I hear you about a new car...June 2014 B's 22 year old Ford Explorer bit the dust, a/c stopped working, windows were iffy about coming down... We donated it to the Kidney Foundation, B took my 8 yo CR-V which was like a Caddy after driving the Explorer. Here's hoping the CR-V is 1/2 as good as the Explorer We bought a Highlander. we love it.
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cars...they're just nothing but an expensive toy. lol

      Delete
  8. i like all the day of the dead stuff and that is funny about the fireworks from mexico and day of the dead from usa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anni - are those your fingernails? I'm impressed! (You should see mine - or maybe not...) I can imagine my grandsons would love to play around with a drone - me, not so much. That little girl is color-coordinated right down to her binky. We're under a winter storm warning for overnight - I might need my heated seats tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, yes they're MY fingernails. Stay warm and dry....but soon it'll be skiing again for you.

      Delete
  10. Well this is an interesting and entertaining read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well goodness, I stayed, enjoyed and even laughed at your end jokes! Sweet little girl at the jazz fest too! Lovely photos, even the flying ones!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like random and this one was full of good stuff. I'm still giggling over your pirate joke. The last car I had had heated seats and around these parts they come in mighty handy. My current vehicle doesn't have them and I'm going to be missing them this winter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't resist the joke...tho some probably found it offensive, instead of just enjoying the humor of it all.

      Delete
  13. Bummer about the jazz fest. The little dancer is adorable though!
    Hooray for the new car. I could use heated seats.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll trade you the heated seats for the extra A/C. lol

      Delete
  14. great post my friend

    ReplyDelete
  15. You always have such fun. That little girl is adorable Anni. I liked your spider, but oh my the real ones do frighten me terribly. Love the jewelry and you have such lovely hands btw~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow.... Packed post!.... Love the idea of a drone, but they can cause problems... Love the photos from them... Love the jewelry.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete

.