my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Sur-r-r-prise Surprise SURPRISE!! [gomer pyle]

In a way, I had a week of surprises. Over the past weekend, on Sunday morning early, this time out we traversed some of the out-skirted areas of town in hopes of finding some 'new' birds. Or at least some birds that may be in the migratory path for Autumn. Our first stop was Indian Point Park. The wind was blowing rather swiftly, so too few birds spotted and when they were seen, not much activity. Hiking the trails brought some Black Skimmers, Egrets [reddish, snowy, and great], sandpipers scurrying along the lakes' banks, great blue herons, terns, willets and dowitchers. I photographed a couple of plovers and called it a morning. Off to Navigation Blvd then. Over the north bay causeway and veering off to the right...driving the 8 miles or so along the stretch of highway that is behind the ship channel's port of call and the other side of the highway,  the river. We stopped at a fresh water lake near the interstate highway. I was surprised to see so many wood storks!! I snapped the shutter button several times, getting photos of the large numbers of birds seen there, along with snowy and great egrets and both adult and immature white ibis. Yet, again...to my surprise, a couple of Fulvous Whistling Ducks [photo link from my birding blog] crept out of the high reed grasses. They're a bit elusive and somewhat a difficult/scarce bird to find. But the surprise was this: trailing behind the adults--a couple of ducklings were following!! More shutter button action. Hopping back in the car, we drove further north along the interstate and whipped a soft left toward a little burb called Calallen Texas. Northwest of the town is another park. Known for their Autumn Hawkwatch.

Just like the script from a movie classic, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid:
    They ought to get to where we split up any time. They're just about there. How many of them do you think will come our way? .. .. .. But we got surprises on our side, right?

While we were up on the watch platform, it was a quiet morning. Both for the fact not many birds, AND quiet 'cause besides Bud and me, only one other woman was there. While we stood and made use of our binoculars pointed toward the sky for a hawk kettle, or a group of kites coming in. A lone female cardinal was at the feeding station




...in my peripheral vision I saw something move below me from the platform down on the ground. I dropped my binoculars and to my SURPRISE ...a female white tailed deer; not more than 10-15 feet from me!!

She moseyed along the tree line, on the grass, knowing exactly where she was headed! For the protection and shade. Obviously by the looks of her udder and still swelled belly she has recently 'fawned'. I'm sure there was a baby hidden in the cover close by.


While we remained on the hawkwatch platform for some time, lo and behold she came back! And looked at me straight in the eye of my lens!


Sauntering past us, she headed for the feeding station for birds...a lot of fresh grain was on the ground and she stopped to eat her breakfast, then disappeared once again. While I was taking photos of HER another surprise appearance. A White Tipped Dove!! They're RARE!! I will have photos of the rare sighting on my birding blog soon.



One more surprise. Long ago, I ordered online, and forgot about the order. This week they arrived!! The reason I wanted to wear these, they're not only unique in design and of an extinct bird [Ivory Billed Woodpecker]...they're made from recycled materials!!   I'M ALL FOR RECYCLING.





Read more about their product[s] here

64 comments :

  1. such lovely surprises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, now that you've moved over to Google Plus I can't get to your blog posts!! Sorry, can't visit and comment with you. But, thanks.

      Delete
  2. Hello Anni, sounds like a wonderful day full of surprises. I love the cute deer! Happy Monday, have a great new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks and have a great week too, Eileen.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful surprises!
    Have a great week!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first I didn't notice the reference to gomer Pyle - Now I'll smile all day!

      Delete
    2. Yep, Gomer Pyle. lol

      Delete
  4. She sure didn't seem afraid of you, Anni (the deer). And that's one pretty female cardinal. Glad to hear you had such a wonderful day filed with surprises. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a good day out...but to have 'newbies' makes it all the better.

      Delete
  5. Anni, you certainly had a rewarding drive to see the birds and, as it turned out, the deer! I definitely can hear Gomer say Surprise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, gol-l-l-l-l-l-y!! Thanks Linda

      Delete
  6. Fun earrings!! I love getting packages in the mail! Great photos (always) and it really is fun for me to travel along with you on your outings! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri....you always bring joy with your positive comments.

      Delete
  7. Nice surprises for you. I like to recycle and the earrings are cute. Seeing a deer in the wild is about as exciting as you can get. Once I had the pleasure of seeing a fawn nursing in an open field.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww, that would have been a special treat to see the fawn and mama!! Thanks Paula

      Delete
  8. Lovely wonderful surprises, and I adored Gomer since forever! Lovely captures all the way through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too liked Gomer Pyle...not much for the program tho. Thanks Karen.

      Delete
  9. Oh, yes!! A fun day indeed!! I do love the shots of the deer and what great earrings!!! A beautiful start for my day, Anni!! Thank you as always for sharing the fun and the beauty!! Have a wonderful new week!! Enjoy -- as always!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a wonderful week yourself, Sylvia. And, thanks.

      Delete
  10. Lovely surprises, love the earrings, enjoy wearing them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How nice of that deer to let you get all those pictures. Love those earrings too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She seemed quite docile to me. Of course I don't see that many when in the city. Thanks Ann

      Delete
  12. Ohhhh what gorgeous photos. Don't you just love happy accidents.
    I love the earbobs!! (earrings for the young folks)
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. earbobs....I like that one. Thanks M&M

      Delete
  13. Thanks so much for linking up with "Through My Lens" photo meme.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you for hosting Mersad.

      Delete
  14. What a wonderful experience to be so close to that deer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was...for this citified gal!!

      Delete
  15. The doe surprise was nice. They are common here and show themselves often but apparently in your area it is uncommon for one to come so close to you. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they're see often .... in the country here, but remember I live in the city.
      Thanks Ms. G

      Delete
  16. Great sightings and cute earrings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I'm enjoying your Rocky Mountain adventure too Ruth.

      Delete
  17. Great surprises you've got Anni :))
    Wonderful pictures of the cardinal
    and the deer. Would have loved to
    get to see the "Bambi" :))
    Maybe next time?

    Have a wonderful week Anni!
    Möwe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. seeing 'bambi's' mom WAS thrilling.

      Delete
  18. Some delightful surprises indeed! Love that sweet doe!

    After I read Ghost Birds I ordered something from Cafe Press for my sister's birthday that year. She had always been a bird lover, and a strong advocate for the possibility of the ivory billed still being around. It was a tote bag with an ivory billed on it, and a famous quote: " The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated." Pretty darn cool! :-) She was thrilled. Love your earrings! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool is that? Your sister is a birder too!! Awesome.
      And back a while ago, you mentioned your husband is reading Wesley? Has he finished the book? What did he think?

      Delete
  19. Great photos of the female Cardinal and it would be terrific to get such good views of the little deer - and to have her looking right at you would be even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When she stopped to look at me, it was like "This is my best side". LOL

      Thanks Mick

      Delete
  20. What a bunch of nice surprises! You got some really great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your surprises!!! Those earrings are just PERFECT for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't worn 'em yet, but I tend to put them in very soon. Thanks Linda

      Delete
  22. What a nice surprise! I saw some this evening, but no chance to take a picture. I think deer have the prettiest eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...they're eyes are so beautiful!! And trusting.

      Delete
  23. Great photos. Love the earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awww - what lovely shots!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantastic surprises and I love the Deer images

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'd love a week of surprises like that. Just one would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your day will come for surprises...and I hope they're good ones.

      Delete
  27. What a beautiful moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...she was so trusting and pretty!

      Delete
  28. What delightful photos of the sweet little deer! What a treat to have her come so close.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well you did have some surprises and nice ones...Cute Mama deer. It is hard to believe those babies just sit and hide and wait for Mom... it seems so dangerous... I love the earrings..very cute.. Have a great week Anni... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel better soon Michelle!!! And thanks.

      Delete
  30. what wonderful surprises :)

    have a great week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. how fun to have such a close encounter with the doe!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Coolest earrings in the world EVER! Love the deer, she's wondering about you !

    ReplyDelete

.