MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




"Beep Beep!"

Friday, we decided to just take a drive on the county roads to see what we could find bird-wise. Every once in a while it's good to get away from the city traffic and the speed demons. We cranked up the air conditioner and drove to Chapman Ranch area. Once off the highway, onto the farmland roads, if we see one vehicle besides ours, we're lucky. We saw a lot of blackbirds, grackles, doves on the power lines. The oil wells that look like dinosaurs, pumpjacks; some were operating while most were dead on their platform. Driving down one road, heading away from the morning sunlight, I spotted a couple of hawks. One white tailed hawk that is quite prominent year 'round in our area. The other, sitting pretty and actually giving me time to turn the camera back on and focusing through the windshield, a beautiful Red Tailed Hawk!! Of course I only got one of it perched on the power pole...then, it flew off and soared at a far distance. While it was flying above, I didn't make use of the zoom since it would have hit the car windows.


Red Tailed  HAWK

WHITE TAILED HAWK
yes, the tail is WHITE...the dark you're seeing is the wing feathers

....the red tailed hawk flying away








We ended up driving clear to Highway 77/interstate 69 and drove into the little town of Bishop Texas. We pulled into the small city park there in hopes of seeing something on the lake. 





I wasn't wanting to open any windows and I wasn't about to get out of the car just then - not to scare away what we spotted in the parking lot. A roadrunner!! It was scurrying away so quickly, I barely found it in the viewfinder before it crossed the street and disappeared!!




"Ow, ow, ow! This blacktop is so darned hot...gotta get off it...now!"


"Ahhhh, grass! Cooler on my bare feet! Now, get across the street...the shade of that oak tree over there, yonder, looks mighty inviting!!"


If you're on the highway and Roadrunner goes beep beep.
Just step aside or y'might end up in a heap.
Roadrunner, Roadrunner runs on the road all day.
Even the coyote can't make him change his ways.

Roadrunner, the coyote's after you.
Roadrunner, if he catches you you're through.
Roadrunner, the coyote's after you.
Roadrunner, if he catches you you're through.

That coyote is really a crazy clown,
When will he learn he can never mow him down?
Poor little Roadrunner never bothers anyone,
Just runnin' down the road's his idea of having fun!


Needless to say, the lake was pretty empty of birds. Two Killdeer, domestic ducks, one Neotropic Cormorant, and two egrets.

22 comments :

  1. Really nicely spotted. I never seem to luck out with bird and wildlife snaps. Have a great Sunday!

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anni! :) Thank you for sharing your nice trip with us :)
    Love all the photos, but I like the roadrunner especially.
    Great catch Anni! :))
    Have a beautiful Sunday!
    Möwe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, Anni! I love your hawk images, great sightings. And the Roadrunner is one of my favorite birds. Enjoy your Sunday and the new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some fine hawk pictures, but the roadrunner is my favorite. Just the way he's built he looks fast. And then running across the asphalt, he's in a hurry all right. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rides through the country farm roads usually turn into great opportunities to take pictures. Glad you saw two wonderful birds "out there." I have never seen a roadrunner but at least can to view one here. Neat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing photos of the hawk and the roadrunner! Great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky cool shots, but gee whiz a roadrunner too! I might get so excited that I'd forget to take his picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shots, I haven't seen a road runner in years. I used to see them all the time in west Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post! Fun seeing the roadrunner. I have never seen a white tailed hawk and didn't even know they existed until I started following all my birder friends on the blogs. Still, you don't see a photo often.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful captures for the day, as always, Anni!! Like Yogi, I haven't seen a road runner in years and, yes, I too saw them all the time when I lived in Texas!! Hope you have a great new week!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those Road Runner shots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Despite the heat,you got some good shots.The Roadrunner looks so comical.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that is my kind of road. No other cars but lucky to see one more then ours. Pretty Roadrunner picture. Even though we have lots of them at the ranch I've never been able to get a picture because I don't have the right camera.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful hawk shots...and love the roadrunner...that was one of my nicknames when in school.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A nice hawk and I also love that roadrunner!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wonder if while you were out birding the birds were out humaning?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those were some great birds to find on your trip. I'd love to see a road runner, but will have to come your way for that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the poem about the road runner and all the other birds. Thanks Anni and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like those hawks on sky but I love the roadrunner. I've never seen one by the way. That's a nice funny poem too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Birding is pretty slow in my neck of the woods right now but I expect it will pick up in a couple of weeks. I haven't seen any red-tailed hawks yet but when I do I'll see a LOT of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You spotted and captured on camera lovely birds today

    ReplyDelete

.