“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





What a Difference an Hour in a Day makes...

On Friday, Bud and I decided to leave very early because of the humidity being so high. The temperature wasn't too hot yet. We drove over the Harbor Bridge and across the North Bay Causeway to Indian Point Park for some walking on the trail. We always first go to the fishing pier on the "Corpus Christi" side of the park. There are two parks combined...Indian Point and Sunset Lakes on the Portland side of the area. You can walk it all from one side or the other. But, the only place to park and walk on our side of the bay is at the fishing pier. We usually park there and walk up on the observation deck and then get back in the car and drive to the Portland exit a couple miles down the freeway and park there, then walk the trail from the larger parking lot. Anyway, we stopped at the pier and I spotted some Willets, Egrets, Herons of two species, some plovers, turnstones, stilts, and one lone oystercatcher near the pier.

It was getting pretty sticky out there by then, about an hour of traipsing along the shore and rocky outcropping near the pier. It was gonna get hot and muggy really quick. So, we hopped back in the car, took off toward Portland, Texas and swung around the housing to Sunset Lakes and parked. We only walked half way on the trail after stopping several times to photograph birds and search the bushes and lakes for any activity. The fish were very active...everywhere we looked they were jumping out of the water, feeding on insects. Speaking of insects, as we meandered along the road to access the lakes and parking lot, the swallows and dragonflies were EVERYwhere!! More birds, like the cormorants, spoonbills, and gulls along with terns were seen in this area.

enlarge to view swallows and dragonflies - this area where the photos were taken, behind the swallows is the bay, in front of the swallows are the lakes, the road goes in between.

Like I said, we only walked half way...my blouse and jeans were getting soaked with sweating and I didn't take my sweat cloth with me, I forgot and left it in the car. Let me explain...I take a heavy dose of water tablet in the morning, each morning, and I tend to leak profusely in the humidity. And yes, I do keep myself well hydrated while walking in the summer months...got to. By the time we made it to the first observation deck on the trail, it was like I just stepped out of a heavy rainstorm. Bud was getting overheated and we decided to just call it a morning and headed back to the car.

The haze, looking toward the city's skyline [Corpus] was thick...dense air. I knew we were in for another storm later that day. Sure 'nough, by the time we got home from shopping for groceries on the way back and stopping to have something to eat...the sky opened up the flood gates and the rains....HEAVY at times....came down. I'm not complaining one iota. Let 'er rip!

Needless to say, I took plenty of photos of birds and some for Rubbish Tuesday and Good Fences, but I did want to show you the thick haze from the vantage point of the fishing pier looking toward the city...

The clear blue and white puffy clouds photo was taken BEFORE we left...you can see the difference in air by the time we arrived for our walk...from clear blue to hazy thick mugginess!! Once home, I had some more 'fun' with the camera. Squirrel antics were hilarious, and then, while watching the squirrels in the pecan tree and around the 'hood, a Lesser Nighthawk flew in for the day on one of the pecan tree limbs...it remained there all afternoon and didn't leave 'til their hunting hours...when darkness falls.

50 comments :

  1. we suffer from that same humidity you do, pouring in off the gulf... and it only takes a few minutes to be wet with sweat. we are cooler today after 3 days of rain. but still humid... i like the misty look of the skyline shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was pretty....and pretty uncomfortable. lol

      Delete
  2. forgot to say i like your new look for your blog. i noticed it 3 days ago but who knows how long you have had it. what ever I like it

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have humidity, but not like this! You are more adventerous than me. I would have been inside with the a/c blasting. The haze makes for some awesome views of the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't wait to get in the car for some cooling a/c.

      Delete
  4. I just hate the heat and humidity. I will be so glad for the weather to improve for Autumn. Wishing you a nice Saturday, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I think over the years it's getting worse. But maybe I'm getting older?!!

      Delete
  5. The best thing about the Northwest -- as far as I'm concerned -- is the unfailing, low humidity!! Reading your post today, Anni, reminded me how happy I am to now live in here in Oregon!! Great shots for the day as always and I can almost feel the heat from here!! Have a wonderful weekend and stay cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the NW looks better and better each season.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great bird-watching day, but that humidity sounds terrible! Good shots of the city though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that big white bridge. I hope the bad weather will subside soon. It's pouring here again...

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the repair work on the huge bridge was just finished last year....hopefully a new one will be completed sooner than later. Thanks Mersad

      Delete
  8. I always enjoy your photos, as I seem to say every time I visit here. Your background changes are always great, too, and express your hobbies and passions so well. I had to laugh at your description of sweating. I sweat, too. I tell people I don't have a delicate feminine (southern bell) glow - I just sweat like a racehorse after a race. I get it from my dad, because he did, too. I guess our bodies do what they need to do, but it is frequently embarrassing for me. Looking forward to cooler temps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....thanks for such a positive bit of feedback Terri.

      Delete
  9. Anni we always look forward to seeing what you capture on digital! The clouds and sky are fabulous.
    Hugs madi and mom your bfffs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You two are always welcomed guests here....I LuffYaBoth!!

      Delete
  10. I don't do heat and humidity well,at all and in these pictures I can almost feel the humidity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it wasn't pleasant to be sure!!

      Delete
  11. I love the bridge and the fluffy clouds. Great captures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed this! I love the sky and the horizon!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember that awful humidity from the time I spent there (not long). I live where it gets humid but never hot, and the humidity is nothing compared to yours. I love your pictures showing the difference in the air. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that's the culprit here in the summer...heat AND humidity...just not fun. lol

      Delete
  14. I certainly do see the humidity in the air. It's been cooler here in the last 2 weeks, but I've felt it before.
    Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I can't wait for 'cooler'!! lol

      Delete
  15. I love summer but not the heat and humidity.. Sorry, you could not stay out longer..I hope it is cooler there now.. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...right now, it's raining. No complaints here. We need it so much.

      Delete
  16. You could cut that air with a butter knife, I can feel the humidity! You still got some nice view to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed...a butter knife. I haven't heard that expression in ages.

      Delete
  17. That is really a haze. I love bridge and all the skyscrapers on the skyline with the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, glad you enjoyed the images through the haze.

      Delete
  18. That was some heavy haze!! We heard about the flooding and heavy rains down south.....while here in the DFW area - and on my driveway to be exact! - we received 29 small drops!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol....29 drops? Call out the medics!!

      Delete
  19. That's some ominous haze there, Anni. I love reading about the birdlife in your area...there's certainly an abundance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, being a birder myself, we live in a perfect area for most of the time.

      Delete
  20. Rains all around but all we're getting is showers. We need it so bad but so does others so it just isn't our time. We too have to do anything we plan to do early. Looking forward to some cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just how you are thinking!! When Houston would get all the heavy rains this past summer and Corpus sat high and dry...well, dry anyway....I was quite a bit jealous.

      Delete
  21. Neat views of the hazy shoreline Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  22. no humidity problem here. we've been getting cooler temperatures for the last week or so. it's getting to be that time of year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...trust me...cooler temperatures sounds heavenly to me 'bout now.

      Delete
  23. It seemed to really make it so hot to have the high humidity that sweat is dripping with rivulets of your body. Your blog I think, looking very beautiful Anni:-)

    Kind regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  24. My parents live in the gulf coast area and the humidity takes my breath away when I visit. You captured the humidity haze very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it can be very uncomfortable ...even for us residents.

      Delete
  25. Our average humidity is about 85% - very bad for royal icing as the high humidity causes color bleeds.

    ReplyDelete

.