“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Blue Bayou...

Tho my photos are no where close to a bayou of sorts, the Great Blue Heron is seen just about anywhere you go in this area. From ponds, tidal basins, beaches, channels, and even in the downtown area by the Marina; around and near the seawall. Once in a while, if lucky when I'm out with the camera, I spot one atop a fence post. This one, the other day, was along the Aransas Ship Channel nearing a birding reserve called Charlie's Pasture. The 'old' fence posts are remnants of the ranching days before the land was donated to the town for a nature reserve. The newer cabled fence line in the foreground follows the road to the reserve...


I was driving, so, I moved the car a few yards and then zoomed in on the heron...




linking to: Wild Bird Wednesday - Good Fences


HODGEPODGE WEDNESDAY
linking to Joyce's HODGEPODGE

1. Are the leaves turning color where you live? Have they begun to fall? Will you have to rake when it's all said and done? Is that a chore you love or loathe? In our area, most trees are evergreen. There are a FEW 'round town that turn color and leaves fall, but in November and December. We have, in our yard that turns color, the Pecan tree and Pomegranate tree...and no we don't rake the leaves...it's great mulch on our lawn...we MOW the leaves [our lawn is green year 'round also]. Then, by February they're all green again or leafing out.

2. When did you last shake like a leaf? I'm sure it was from anxiety or anger. But I can't recall the last time. Years ago most likely.

3. After 20 seasons with the NY Yankees, Derek Jeter played his last official game Sunday afternoon. Jeter has been described even by opponents as a 'class act', both on and off the field. The NFL is back in action this month too, with several players in that sport also making headlines. What are your thoughts on athletes as role models? Should a professional athlete be expected to act as role model or is that going beyond their job description? What responsibility do the organizations these athletes work for have when it comes to dealing with off the field behavior? Discuss. I LOVE Derek Jeter as y'all know. Baseball won't be the same now that he's retired. He was quoted as saying he wants to start a family now that baseball is behind him. I wish for him that he'll be happy no matter. And as far as role models...of course it's not in the job description that I know...but then, if not, why is the media all gung-ho when it comes to their mis-deeds and good deeds?   I'd like to think it's all about money...there is money in media following the professionals.  Kids [as well as adults] look up to and often emulate the professionals. But, in all honesty, they're human and will make mistakes, and we as fans, should realize this as well as the media pro sports' affiliations.  For instance, Tiger Woods!!  Ewwww.  After all...there are OTHER occupations/employees that do good/bad things without the news...why  not add some commoners to the rag papers/sports columns, TV cable news etc.?  Simple!!  No money there.

4. What season of the year is toughest for you in terms of your health? Why?  At my age and this stage of my life, the summer...and you guessed it...the humidity!! Thing is, why live on the coast then? Because there is NO SNOW!!!  After 40+ years in snowy, wintry, Colorado...the older I got, the more I grew to detest snow and icy streets 4-6 months out of the year.  Sure, Colorado is a beautiful and healthy state to live...but slip sliding on the mountain roads with drop-offs in the cavernous canyons while driving to and from work, began to get on my nerves.  Not to mention the maniac 4 wheel drivers who think that they won't get stuck or slide off the road and continue to do the speed limit on treacherous roadways!!  'Bout the time I turned 50 I was ready to get out for good and go to a sunny clime with beaches and no winter exhaust pollutants.  Have you seen Denver's skyline in winter?  A lot of times the air was literally GREEN with pollutants!!!

5. The top six healthy food trends of 2014 according to Eating Well are-
clean eating (more veg, less meat, less sodium, limit alcohol and processed foods)
trash fish (you know those fish that get caught in fishermen nets and are thrown back? It seems chefs are finding creative ways to make them more appetizing)
cauliflower (this year's IT vegetable)
kaniwa (essentially baby quinoa, so like quinoa only smaller)
fermentation (think pickling except with twists on flavor we're not accustomed to)
community supported food (farms operating with community support/membership).

Okay-so how many of the hot healthy food trends for 2014 have you experienced, encountered, enjoyed? Any you've tried and said ewwww? Any on the list you'd like to try before year's end?
I've always liked cauliflower and we have it often...steamed or raw in salads. And as for 'clean eating'...I have to eat like that for my health issues and have for many years. Of course, I admit that there are times I crave [and go out for] a Cheeseburger and about twice a year...a McDonald's Fish Filet sandwich.  And, speaking of fish filet -I've never  heard of 'trash fish' until today...at least as far as chefs are concerned.  Y'really don't know what you're having at some restaurants any way.  So, I'm not all that surprised.  Besides who knows...when you order rainbow trout...are you really GETTING trout when it's served?  And who spit on my plate?!!  [lol]

6. In seven words or less, bid September adieu. So long September, hello October...'bout time!!

7. What's something on your October calendar that makes you happy just thinking about it? Need you ask? Halloween decorations...sweet autumn cooking like pumpkin bread, the tiny single serving boxes of candy from the stores [Jr. Mints more so than any other!  I stock up on single serving Jr. Mint candy bags], the colors, the aromas, etc. I love October.

8. Insert your own random thought here. Since this season is one of my favorites, and I enjoy viewing everyone's sharing family and holiday treasures, I have created a "Showcase of Homes" Blog for the Autumn Season and the Fall holidays. With a Linking Party that will run for TWO Months. From October 1st thru November 30th. It's a Blog where you can share your holiday treasures that pertain to Autumn. For instance, if you have a blog post about your decor for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Craft Projects, etc. Come on over...link up anytime between now and November 30th!! Show off your Autumn Flair with Blogging Friends!!! Get us all enthused from the Autumn fragrances and colors of apples, cinnamon, pumpkin pie, turkey and the wonderful musky odor of falling leaves and the welcoming aroma of a cozy fire in the fireplace....don't you enjoy those scents and warm, comforting shades of Fall?



linking to: HODGEPODGE!!

104 comments :

  1. Oooh, I'm the first commenter! I love it! Your first two blue heron shots look like a gorgeous sculpture! But I love all the action shots! All the "in the water" photos are beautiful! OK, no leaves here, as you know, but the yard engineer is out there right now getting rid of my weeds! :-) At least in the front yard. I wish the house owner would put new plastic down under the dirt, but what are you gonna do! ? :) Glad you are still enjoying the CO pictures...a few more posts to come, then Mesa Verde, then back to AZ. I have a really hard time in the heat & humidity too, health-wise, and wish we could move up closer to Prescott or Payson. sigh. Don't like being in the snow and cold either and it wouldn't be too bad up there. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm lovin' all the old 'hang-outs' you've shared the last posts....No matter where I live, Colorado will always be my 'home state'.

      Oh I agree...I like Prescott and even Flagstaff....the areas are really pretty and quaint.

      Delete
    2. Oh, family in Montrose! Yep, you are very familiar with that area! :-) Yes, there is a SLIGHT chance we might get to move some time in the next year....I don't want to jinx it, but the kids are looking for work elsewhere, and they love that area too.

      Delete
    3. Montrose? Or North AZ? Either place would be a great area to live. The western slope of Colroado's winters are always milder than the front range...but Prescott to call home is a great area too!! I won't jinx it with you.....keeping fingers crossed.

      Delete
    4. Yesterday we learned SIL just got a great new job here in Tucson, so unless things need to change some time in the next few years, to further his career, we will be here for the duration. If we ever do move, I think Prescott, Payson or even Flagstaff would be our destination. Oh well, more super hot summers ahead. But that's OK. I do love it here for many reasons. At least we can visit N AZ when we want! :-)

      Delete
    5. Yes, it's close enough from Tucson to make it a long weekend trip...or a VERY long day trip. I love the 'old west' feel of Prescott.

      Delete
  2. The heron photos are a joy to see! The blog party sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, hope you'll join when you can. The more the merrier.

      Delete
  3. Oh my, my first comment seems lost! Wow, you have a pair of herons!! The first shots look like he is actually a statue. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the flying shots! They are clear and graceful. In fact, I wish you would have posted each one separately. Maybe you will on your bird blog. I have to admit to getting the fish sandwiches more than twice a year. But they are not that many calories if you scrape off most of the tarter sauce and don't eat all the bread. With a glass of tea it makes a decent meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...bread is one of my downfalls....I love all kinds!! And I know I eat too much of it. Around here, they don't put much tartar sauce on it...which is good.

      Ginny, I'm not sure, but if you mean larger photos and posted separately, they ARE...just click on them.

      Delete
  4. Super pics of the herons- I really enjoy finding them along the water's edge, and am disappointed when they aren't there! I don't like the heat and humidity either, but I have lived in Canada and North Dakota, and I know I am no friend of the cold..even though both places were very lovely. Colorado is one of my vacation states, but I wouldn't want to live there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I like the Western Slope much better than the front range...hardly any pollution and milder winters than the eastern side of the Rockies.

      Delete
  5. Stunning photos of the herons, a great observation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christian your link here takes me to 'profile not found'....so I will just leave a thank you note here.

      Delete
  6. I love your heron photos. So pretty.
    Like you, I love the month of Oct., pretty decorations, pumpkin bread, Halloween candy! Love Jr. Mints!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....Jr. Mints. So creamy, luscious dark chocolate!! Yum.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful heron shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you kindly!!! Love your Frankenduck by the way.

      Delete
  8. Annie, I've gotta say I mind humidity more than snow - good thing since it snowed here the past 2 nights. Luckily, no smog where I live in the mountains. I think pollution is a big problem for most cities - but, Denver is in a bowl of mountains so it sometimes does hang there. I also eat clean, like veggies, and don't eat much red meat. Like you say - at my age it's a necessity! I love your heron shots - I don't see them often enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. {{{Barb}}} Long time no see....I'm sure you've been busy .. perhaps moving?

      Delete
  9. tremendous shots of the Heron.Always a lovely and elegant bird to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...indeed...and, thanks Margaret

      Delete
  10. Wow on the heron shots, along with all your other commenters who enjoy them, too. I knew you are a Jeter fan, and I have to admit I hardly follow any sports celebrities. I think you are pretty much of a celebrity in my world, Anni. Love all your cheeky responses in the Hodgepodge. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwww. I'm a celebrity to you....that's cool!!! Well, you're my star...so that makes us kinda kindred spirit DJ!! Thanks for making me smile.

      Delete
  11. Yes, I am also looking forward to Halloween in October. Just a special time of the year. I love early fall, the fresh nights and vibrant colors everywhere.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both!! It's a fun, decorative time of year...all blended and in junction with our Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  12. I enjoy all those Blue Heron shots.Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...glad you enjoyed them Ruth

      Delete
  13. Anni spectacular heron photos. Our dogwoods are starting to turn and oh man the berries on them....more than I remember in a long time.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...cool....pictures coming soon to a blog near us....like M&M's blog maybe?

      Delete
  14. love the answer to number 4 and i am right there with you. i HATE humidity in the summer months, but the other 9 months of they year i love the NO COLD NO ICE no boots no coats..
    the herons are beautiful and I like ALL the spread wings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, yep, yep....you and me both, no cold, no ice, no snow, But I do sometimes wear a coat around here when I walk the beach in winter...that same high humidity lingers along the coast...when it's 55 it feels like 40 degrees.

      Delete
  15. I love the herons! I was really happy to see some this summer, but mostly they were very far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're quite photogenic too! I really like 'em even tho they seem to be everywhere here.

      Delete
  16. Lovely close ups Anni

    ReplyDelete
  17. So similar to our Grey Heron which I love to watch ... sometime for hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably could sit and watch 'em for hours too, but I always think I'm missing other birds farther down on the trail.

      Delete
  18. really neat to see so many herons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks...I was happy to see them so active that day. Usually they remind me of the Flamingo statues in people's yards. lol

      Delete
  19. Hi Anni, your Herons are wonderful.. I am looking forward to my Great-nephew's 1st birthday on OCT 11.. there will be a big birthday party for him..The only plans I know of right now for October.. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a fun celebration Eileen!!!

      Delete
  20. Herons are so pretty and you got some great pictures!
    Leaves are starting to change here. I'll have to remember to link up with you on your Autumn showcase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do come join in Mari...anytime!

      Delete
  21. Love your shots of the heron.
    We are starting to get some fall color but it's spotty right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn't been very cold then...maybe you'll have a great "Indian Summer".

      Delete
  22. Fab shots of the GBH's flying! I don't see them around here as much as I did in Texas. And when I do they are quite skittish. So you did great on these captures.

    On the humidity, I'm so with you! I am ready for some cool, fall-like temps. Past ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems this year it was worse than most!! And longer.

      Delete
  23. Oh, wow, wonderful shots of the heron...interesting reading your hodge podge.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Agreed! Good bye September and hello October! The rain was great but I want cooler temps and less humidity. I want to get back out and bird again like a normal person. The bugs are out of control with all this heat and moisture! Anyhow, we are off to Colorado in two weeks.....specifically Colorado Springs:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister said there was a dusting of snow in the high country...maybe Pike's Peak will be white against the Springs Skyline when you're there.

      Delete
  25. Terrific shots Anni! I love the one on the fencepost.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I always raked for my neighbor's sake but I think this year I'm leaving them on for fertilizer and protection. I used to love summer but at my age and health this year has killed me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps!! Yep, Summers were great when much younger...now...not so much.

      Delete
  27. I'm loving your blue!! Happy October!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine...it's great to see you're out and about in Blogland again....you've been missed.

      Delete
  28. beautiful!!! like always!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you....it's been a while. Hope you're both okay!

      Delete
  29. Nice post - most of our native tress are evergreen as well, but lots of the street trees are oaks, so autumn does mean sweeping! But the leaves are great for compost!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...even some of the oak trees here in Texas are evergreen.

      Delete
  30. It seems like Great Blue Herons everywhere. We have lots her ein Oklahoma but I've seem them all over the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, they're just about everywhere.

      Delete
  31. Great shots of the heron Anni. Hey, you know what? I'm into that fermentation thing, especially of red grapes. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...I know just what you mean. The best kind of fermentation.

      Delete
  32. I don't do a lot of decorating, mostly just add mums to the patio and front porch, some pumpkins, and I change out my apothecary jars in the kitchen so they are filled with fall goodness. Our backyard however is an every changing canvas of color. It's kind of like living art and I never get tired of it. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the Fall season and trees are one of the best parts!!

      Delete
  33. I enjoy the color of changing leaves, but I absolutely love evergreens, especially in winter when they have a fresh layer of snow on their branches. There's nothing prettier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....snow on pine trees...that is VERY pretty.

      Delete
  34. I've been to CO. a few times, but I can just imagine how it must get old having to deal with those COLD winters and treacherous roads. We went once in April and a blizzard hit...UNREAL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....that's nothing April...I remember having a 4th of July picnic in the mountains and it was snowing!!

      Delete
  35. I adore your witch header! I also enjoyed visiting your bayou! Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  36. A pomegranate tree! I've never even seen one, but love pomegranates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get blossoms on it...and fruit a bit...but the birds get 'em before they're ripened.

      Delete
  37. Visiting from WBW - These are great shots of the Heron. Picture #5 is so cool, it looks like they are dancing on the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they were 'chasing' each other most of the time I was observing them all. Thanks Ida

      Delete
  38. Love your header Anni, whichever day she's goin'.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love the Blue Bayou shots! Wow! Awesome.
    And that header is fabulous, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  40. love these, and i love your new halloween look!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Cool shots of the heron, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Herons are a particular favorite of mine. You got some great shots! I can see why you are saying goodbye to September, but personally I wish it could last a bit longer. I'm not looking forward to that long, cold winter! Makes me wish I had stayed in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas has its 'bad' along with the good. Right?

      Delete
  43. Halloween witches coming! I know you like them very much. I already ate my bag of candy corn. I love October! Up North we burn leaves in the gutter of the dirt road. What a wonderful aroma permeates the air. I'm already thinking of making a pumpkin pie, are you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....just YESTERDAY I was telling Bud it's time for some pumpkin pie and whipped cream!!! I love October like you. And the odor of burning leaves is something I think everyone likes...I do and you do anyway!!

      Delete
  44. Replies
    1. ...you came back?!! Thanks Ms. T. And thanks for hosting Good Fences.

      Delete
  45. Cute header! And I agree about the sports celebrities or any other celebrities. I can't get over how news coverage is usually so minimal where important stories are concerned, but they'll spend 10 minutes telling us all about George Clooney's wedding or some sport scandal. Circuses. Bread and circuses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...it's beyond comprehension so many times. Thing is...the sad part...so many follow this gossip and rely on it.

      Delete
  46. Oh I learned the word "bayou", p:-) Lots of gorgeous shots of herons, I just can see egrets. Lovely Header Anni♬♬♬

    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you kindly Miyako

      Delete
  47. Always love seeing the Blue Heron and on a fence ... all the better. I love the action shots as well ... fighting for fishing rights or just a family squable? Your pictures are great and I always love your HodgePodge answers. I don't know if I will be showcasing this year. We lost a lot of trees in last years horrible winter and everything is cut out and bear ... that's the outside. The inside, I don't do much decorating since my kids and grandkid are grown and away most of the time. But, that said ... if I do, I will post because I think it is a wonderful idea. And, Hootin' Annie ... I love your Witch Header. My Mother played Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz (Faculty Players) and she always said she would rather have been the witch ... they are far more interesting :)

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have LOVED to see your mother's acting skills as Dorothy!! And if you do decorate or bake or autumn colors anywhere....please DO share.

      Delete
  48. Blue heron is beautiful! Love your header! :) Thanks for stoping by my blog. Grretings from Romania !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU for stopping by Ileana.

      Delete
  49. Wonderful shots of the herons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you kindly Fiona.

      Delete
  50. The great blue herons are such beautiful and elegant birds. You captured them so well. Love the heron on the fence post.

    ReplyDelete

.