my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




"The computer dictates...."

"...whereas with a pencil you're totally free."  ~ James Dyson




I didn't have time to compose a Nature Notes, Rubbish Tuesday or a Birding post this week on Tuesday as I normally would've done, so, I opted for a favorite of mine since the questions are posted a day early...HODGEPODGE!! [link]

The questions this week from Joyce are:
[lasagna & tomato images courtesy of Google Images]

1. "Summer is like childhood. It's full of warm memories and gone too soon."~Kellie Elmore Agree or disagree? Share something you loved about the summers of your childhood.    In Colorado when I was much younger, Summer was highly anticipated from the long winter, snowy months!! And summers were short-lived. Down here in Coastal Texas it's just the opposite...LONG, HOT Summers! And short mild winters. Tho I have a lot of memories during seasons, childhood memories that stand out are summertime travels. Being out of school for three months, reaping what my parents grew in their vast gardens. Homegrown tomatoes were the best!! I always got the first picked!!

2. Are you a fan of auto racing-NASCAR, Indy, Stock, Grand Prix, etc? Ever been to a race in person? Any desire to do this? Do you know a lot about cars? Do you notice particular makes and models when you're out and about? I grew up with three older brothers. Racing with my youngest older brother was something we both enjoyed together! We'd spend a lot of time working on a car...pin-striping, mag wheels, and.........RACING. A lot of Sundays we'd drive to Erie Colorado and race on the track. Drag Racing. And yes, from that aspect, I grew up loving cars. Long ago, I could tell the make, the model, and the year of a car. For my 40th birthday, Bud bought me a new Trans Am!! Now-a-days they all look like a jelly bean!! Interested in cars still?--------not so much. As long as I can get from on spot to the next in a short time...the car model and age makes no difference.

3. What's something you think is too serious to be joked about? Or do you think anything and everything is fair game? Oh my...there are way too many things that are too serious to joke about. Health. Family. Finances. But, tho I don't joke, when I get stressed about a family issue or whatever, I try not to dwell on it and 'go with the flow'. It's difficult. "100 years from now it will make no difference".

4. July 29th is National Lasagna Day. Are you a fan? Do you have a great recipe, and if so where did it come from? If given a choice would you choose a plate of lasagna or a plate of spaghetti? Well, I make my Italian pasta dishes from scratch all the time. I like to know what goes into my cooking instead of eating pastas that are frozen from the grocer's shelves...I like to know what I eat and what I  feed those that come to my table without all the extra additives like the chemicals and too much of this or that for health reasons.  MSG comes to mind which is added to just about all frozen meals that contain meats.  As for recipes...I never do recipes...50+ years of cooking, I know them by heart. Anyway, I'm just like Garfield the Cat...LASAGNA!!! Any day.

5. What's a simple pleasure you'd miss if it were not a regular part of your life? It's a techie world these days, simple pleasures would be computer, smartphone, camera SD cards...everything digital. [I don't like the automobiles these days tho...I can't change a spark plug without a mechanic any more!!! ---#2]

6. If you could be the CEO of any company, which would you choose? Searching the list of Fortune 500 was easy. I wasn't surprised that #1 was Wal-Mart. Stinky Wal-Mart!! That one would be on the bottom of my list. Unless I could get by with embezzlement. [kidding!] Let's see #2 on the list is EXXON. Living in Texas, a leading oil state, I could go for this one. So I choose EXXON.  By the way:  in 2013 the revenue was $438 billion.  In 2014 the market value of EXXON is listed as $422+ million!!!  A CEO...say, getting 10% of its value.  I could live with a mere $42 million.  I guess.  That could buy a lot of happy meals!!

7. August is just around the bend...bid farewell to July in exactly seven words. Bronchitis, infections, extreme heat....come on Autumn!!

8. Insert your own random thought here.

After many, MANY eraser marks and resketching her hairline and shadows, I just called it quits and said "This is the best I can come up with"!!

Meet Red...
She is the one legged brothel owner with an ivory prosthetic leg. Hidden behind the ivory is a rifle that she utilizes with great aim of a marksman!!  By the way, throughout the movie her clothes are RED and her hair is RED.

Miss  Harrington is first seen in the beginning scene during the opening of the train's railway celebration in a small Texas town. Though her character is not explored 'til later, Red is the type to stay quite comfortable amidst chaos. She also, at times, calmly points a hidden gun if the action calls for it.  And she has a pistol at  hand's reach inside her office...points the gun  at Tonto when it looked like he would attack her. Red's house of ill-repute is somewhat a cross between a circus, bar and prostitution ring. This might show somewhat of the disturbed mindset Red might harbor, giving that it is hinted that she used to be a ballerina and ballerinas are seen performing within the interior as the Lone Ranger and Tonto enter the brothel. When the Lone ranger and Tonto come to her for information, it is also shown that she is quite keen in the revenge business. Before they leave she says "Make that monster pay for what he did to me." In my opinion, she can be described as calm cool and collected in her demeanor...a woman who does as she pleases without hesitation. She carries herself, proud, with a business like air. An example of this is when she is accused of having health code violations she simply states "Well this is a house of sin." Her 'house of sin' is known as "Hell on Wheels".  As you may guess during the movie as it implies ... it travels where the men go.


So, this is my finished "Red" from the movie Lone Ranger as best as I could do...



Movie review and TV opinion:

Altho this motion picture is a few years old, it's still worthy  of a review for those who haven't seen it or are just plain curious of my thoughts.  It's a Disney movie and in all honesty, I think it's entertaining for any age.  There are two young boys in the movie that will melt your heart.  A twist in the characters of the Lone Ranger and Tonto.  Big company corruption, outlaws in the old west.  A small community of Texas folk...some comedy, a tad bit of history of the railway system, family values, strong female leads.  Oh, and GREAT music!!!  I've watched it over and over and enjoy it each time.  The scenery is quite beautiful too.  Some critics and bloggers have put forth the mention of it being politically incorrect.  I say to that:  blah, blah, blah.  When I watch a movie I don't particularly seek out the correctness....as long as it entertains me, that is the whole purpose of watching!!!  In a way the story is reminiscent of a couple other story lines from two other movies...it reminds me of Little Big Man and Young Guns II where a central character of age and time [in the Lone Ranger it happens to be Tonto] recalls the tale of an era in their life; regaling to another person as they listen and the action takes place.  All in all, it's a good flick.  I think I know why it didn't get any real good credit from Hollywood for the fact that Mr. Depp has always been against Hollywood protocol...hence critics will put it down; naturally.  By all means that is only my  opinion.  Just like NCIS being #1 in the ratings for years and getting no mention or accolades with the Emmys....it's all way too political.  Of course HBO gets the awards galore....'cause Hollywood and Cable are colluding or conspiring together with the almighty dollar wanting the consumer to pay out more a month to be able to see the winning shows.  I'm like J.D.....Hollywood stinks.  But....I STILL LIKE MOVIES.

64 comments :

  1. You are So gifted. I know that learning to draw is also hard work, but you have to start with talent. I love your sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Racing, cars, bikes, love them all. Love pushing my little red one to the limit, just a little harder every time just to see if you can...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was fun when younger, now I just drive to get from point A to point B. No more just cruising the streets and highways.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen the movie, but will have to check it out. You are so talented! She looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as I said, I like the movie for the entertainment perspective. Thanks Mari.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a movie I would like and your drawing is great. You certainly have a talent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You can draw! Miss Harrington sounds like a very interesting character. I like your drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're very gifted with your pencil. I'm ready to bid August adios. This heat and humidity is killing me. Thanks for the movie review. There are so few films that I'm interested in these days. Guess I'm getting old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I agree...not too many movies hold interest in our age bracket. Too many are geared toward the teens and 20 year-olds. Thanks Gail.

      Delete
  7. Anni I agree with you on #3, and #7!! Good by July good riddance.
    Anni your sketch of Red is amazing. I've heard from lots of artists people are very hard to sketch; not with you!! Perfection. Love the wavy hair too
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, they are difficult to draw. I had piles of eraser shavings all over my desk. Difficult for me too. Thanks. And yes...good riddance to July. Nasty, long month.

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh, you are SO talented!!! I can barely draw stick men. You could be a professional. How did you learn this? We are kind of the opposite here; our winters can be long and bad, so the older I get, the more I long for summer. And now in the blink of an eye, school starts in a couple weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really never 'learned'...just picked up a pencil long ago and started drawing. It's amazing that school begins again so soon.

      Delete
  9. I have mixed feelings about saying adieu to July..summer is just racing past me. The older I get the faster my life flies. It's not really been hot- so that's a big relief, but you know August just like I do (we aren't that far apart geographically)..so here's to rushing in August with a cool 80 degree day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 80 degrees....a morning time low. lol Seriously.

      I would love to live in Hawai'i where the temps are moderate year 'round...but oh so expensive!!

      Delete
  10. a great sketch!

    boy, i'd weigh 400 lbs if i cooked italian food from scratch! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...but it's oh so good to eat. lol Thanks Ms. T

      Delete
  11. You know how much I enjoy the HODGEPODGE meme.. It's my favorite --although I like the one on Friday also (Willy Nilly)....

    But first, before i comment about your Hodgepodge answers/questions, let me say that I think your pencil drawing of "Red" is FANTASTIC... For someone like me, who has no talent in this area, I'm totally IMPRESSED.

    Hodgepodge thoughts:
    -I probably loved Summer when I was a child--but it's my least favorite season now.... However, I do love the fresh fruits and veggies in Summer and I love my summer flowers.... SO????
    -No fan of NASCAR nor any form of car racing.... My sports are football, basketball, baseball...
    -There are plenty of things not to joke about ---but sometimes, when life hits you in the face, the only way to get through it is to 'joke' about it...
    -I love Lasagna (MUCH better than Spaghetti or many other Italian dishes) --and my hubby makes the best one in the world (from scratch)..
    -For me, Facebook and Blogger--at this point in my life... I love them both and have met so many fabulous people through both of them...
    -I love August.. It's my birthday month!!!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't get me wrong...I don't like racing either...it was just a sibling thing to do back in our youth....together.

      I don't like Facebook at all...but Blogger is a good way to meet some very sweet people. For sure.

      Delete
  12. What a fun post. Here in MA it is always long winters and short summers, would love to experience a Texas summer! :) I wouldn't want to give up my lap top or my phone either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...right now, the Texas summer is unbearable if outdoors.

      Delete
  13. I forgot to mention - I love your sketch. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So - you're still remembering those CO childhood days. It's been really cool here in the mountains this summer - just right for me. I don't do well with humidity. Homemade lasagna by Annie - I wish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the question WAS childhood. Cool in Colorado....sounds heavenly.

      Delete
  15. Today is National Lasagna Day!? That should be a red-letter holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion....ANY day is Lasagna Day.

      Delete
  16. I think that my father's garden and the fresh vegetables we used to pick is my favorite memory from childhood summers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...garden...summer....a fond memory!! Ann, I can't find your blog from your comment name posted here.

      Delete
  17. It was a good Hodgepodge (again)!! Watch for mine tomorrow! Loved your Italian answer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me and Garfield....we're Italian lasagna lovers. LOL

      Delete
  18. Great drawing! And I enjoyed reading the post. Sorry July has been such a rotten month for you, and I hope August is MUCH better! Simple pleasure I would miss--I would DIE if I couldn't read!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh....yes!! Great thought about reading. Not only a simple pleasure, but one we all would have trouble with if this sense were taken from us. Thanks Marie.

      Delete
  19. I agree with you about today's cars, they all look alike! A jelly bean was a good comparison :) Give me a Trans AM any day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, they're sweet cars. Too bad Pontiac up and left us. I like the little two seater sports car Pontiac made also, the Solstice.

      Delete
  20. Red turned out to be an awesome drawing! You are one talented lady. When I was a kid, winters were a lot worse than they are now. I dreaded winter and the cold. Our bus dropped us off a quarter of a mile from home. We had to walk it into the north wind. I walked that stretch of road backwards more times than I can count. Love summer! Enjoyed your answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, ya, with winters like that, I would enjoy a summer day any day!!! That's the way it was in Colorado also....long, cold, and snowpacked. Thanks Betty.

      Delete
  21. You're really talented with that sketchpad! I do not care for a boxed/frozen food aisle lasagne at all. They cannot compare to the made from scratch kind. Winter is long here too, so I'm really trying to enjoy this summer weather. I like heat, but today we're in the low 50's. A little odd, but I'll take it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate to long cold winters!! Thanks Joyce....oh and the 50 degrees sounds great.

      Delete
  22. Wow! I'm impressed. I can't draw a darn thing. Which makes it even better that I teach elementary kids- when I have to draw something, they tell me how great it is! LOL You're so right about #5. I'm trying to make some rules for myself regarding the computer, phone and television now. I need to unplug. It's not going well, as you can tell, since I'm on the computer right now. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! Oh yes, computers...anything that is digital these days can be a downfall. I've recently made it a point to stay offline after two hours. It has shown me a whole new world not being online. lol

      Delete
  23. I love your sketches. I am sure "Fishducky will too." Her sketches are very accurate as well.
    What I remember about summers of my childhood is that we used to sleep under the sky next to a Jasmine trellis in India with beautiful Jasmine fragrance in the air. We would be told to go inside just before midnight as Fruit Bats would come to visit our guava tree .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks!! What a grand childhood memory!! I can just picture it.

      Delete
  24. Thanks for sharing your summer memories...they triggered a few of my own. I give you a lot of credit for withstanding those long, hot summers. I did 2 summers in Florida years ago and thought I was going to die. Or maybe I was just hoping I would to escape the heat and humidity. I don't like winter at all these days, but I sure don't like that much heat, either. Is there anywhere that it's Fall all year round? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it is the high humidity that is H E double L in the summer. But, I'd prefer being indoors with the A/C going instead of long, cold, snowy winters.

      Delete
  25. What a diverse group of questions! I love lasagna...but it's SO complicated to make. I just enjoy my mom's lasagna on special occasions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that's funny. When I was single, at home, I don't remember my mom cooking Italian foods...it was always meat and potatoes for my dad.

      Delete
  26. Wow you have an amazing talent. I am so impressed with your art work.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love that you had a pocket full of tomatoes. We never had fresh veggies in out house! Praying you feel better in August. Your extremely talented.....

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful drawing...Fresh veggies are the best. We have our very own little garden. The same goes for homemade lasagna.....better than frozen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...definitely better than frozen!!! And, thanks Linda.

      Delete
  29. You are so talented.
    I love these fresh veggies we are getting from the garden. I really don't like winter, but the humidity this year has been horrible. I have never had sinus problem so bad as I am having now. Really enjoyed your childhood flashback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....Hope you're feeling better soon Sharon.

      Delete
  30. Sounds like a great movie. And ooooo, I love lasagna! You really are multi-talented, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Veronica. Your feedback is always so much appreciated.

      Delete
  31. Hello Anni!:)
    I'm a Lasaholic myself! Had home made Lasagna and fresh salad for lunch, it's one of my favourite meals, have it at least once a week, and Portuguse wine and garlic bread too, delicious!! As a portrait artist, and retired art teacher, I am impressed with your drawing, you definately have the likeness and it's skillfully drawn. I would miss my computer, my camera, and my car if deprived of them, pastels and paper being outdoors, walking, and a bunch of other things less technical. It's really hot here too, so I hope it cools down for both of us.
    Warm Regards
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you very much Sonjia.

      Delete

.