“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Rusty...Reds...and a bit of Silver Lining



In nautical terminology this is a 'horn cleat'. In my language it's a boat-tie-er-upper!! Or when that way of speaking doesn't come to me quickly enough, it's a thingamabob.
Linking to: Rubbish Tuesday


Leaving the marina area, driving to a park for shade under the big oak trees...'Tis the season for the female to be quite elusive...nesting!! The male provides protection and feeds the female. Tho the male is dashing in its scarlet red cloak, I think the female is just as pretty in her silver and red trimmed ensemble!! Like seeing the silver lining at the end of a long hot summer day.


linking to: Nature Notes, Wild Bird Wednesday, Our World Tuesday



HODGEPODGE
linking to: Wednesday Hodgepodge


1. Since you weren't Hodgepodging last Wednesday, how did you pass the time? Y'all expect me to remember something a week ago? Don't ask me!!

2. What's the first word that comes to mind when I say marriage? Yes, one word. United [as one]

3. Summer officially arrives in the Northern hemishpere later this week. Does it feel like summer where you live? Describe your idea of the perfect summer day. Ummmmm, yes. Temperature-wise. In the 90s the past few weeks already.... 'boil your balls' 'hubs of hell' 'hotter than a snake's belly in a wagon rut' comes to mind!! A perfect summer day? A lake, cool green grass, picnicking...icy cold beverages and a BBQ. To end the day, a clear, ebony sky filled with sparkling stars and topping off with a huge root beer float while gazing at the brilliance in the night's abyss!!!

4. "Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability."(Sam Keen) Is laziness ever respectable? Do you have a lazy summer planned, or something semi-ambitious? Sometimes....there IS time to be lazy. All work and no play...well, you know the saying!!!  Our summer here is always semi-ambitious or less.  LOL

5. Past or present, who's your favorite television dad? Why is he a favorite? Is he anything like your own dad? Well, let me answer this this way...I did NOT like Dr. Huxtable [Bill Cosby] --too comedic to come across as a father figure....but I did like Charles Ingalls [Little House on the Prairie]. How can you not like a father of strength, will, and love like Mr. Ingalls?  A man willing to help a neighbor in need, strong in providing for his family and protecting...yet a heart of gold...just like my dad.

6. June 18th is International Picnic Day...share a favorite picnic memory. Nebraska childhood...family reunions each summer. And one summer picnic I can remember in Colorado...4th of July....rocky mountains...roasting hot dogs on an open fire....and SNOWING!!!

7. The travel site Trip Advisor lists the top five islands in the world for 2014 as- Ambergris Caye in Belize Cayes, Providenciales in Turks and Caicos, Bora Bora in French Polynesia, Marco Island Florida, and Lewis and Harris in The Outer Hebrides (Scotland). Have you been to any of these? Of those listed (and if price were not a factor) which would you most like to book for a holiday? Actually, ANY or all of the above if there are reported bird activities and sightings!!!

8. Insert your own random thought here. Researching bridges for a PPBP [proposed publication blog post], I've been thinking deeply on a certain subject...trust. More so 'consumer' trust. As a consumer or user of any product, be they canned foods [germ, disease-free], automobiles [safety for the occupants], open for business new high rise buildings [for instance elevator cables?], or the stairwells in the aforementioned new high rise...or completed bridges [are they structurally sound, or built by the lowest bidder of substandard/cheaper products]. I'm in that mode. And that is just the tip of the iceberg so to speak....just think of how we put our trust in so many objects that we utilize. Scary thought of all the 'what ifs'.
*doctors' care
*pharmaceutical companies
*day care facilities -just a couple of weeks ago, I read about some day care worker exposing herself to a 5 year old boy?!! Sick minds!!!
*restaurant food
*city metro transportation drivers
*...even, tap water plant/filtration

What else?

94 comments :

  1. boat-tie-er-upper works for me too, hunny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I think alike, right?

      Delete
  2. Wonderful shots of the cardinal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nothing compared to your swan lake images today Fiona. But, thanks.

      Delete
  3. Hi Anni, pretty shots of the cardinal couple! Summer and picnics just go together, a fun time! All the islans listed sound like a great place for a vacation! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....I'm not much of a traveler...but you enjoy them for me.

      Delete
  4. Love reading your answers here. I love your answer "United" as a description for marriage. How true :)

    And oh my you didn't like Dr. Huxtable?? I miss that show :-)

    Have a beautiful Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...nope not on that particular show...I like his comedy routines tho.

      Have a great day yourself...happy you enjoyed the answers today.

      Delete
  5. My dad used to refer to things as 'thingummies', this post brought him to mind! Love the cardinals, especially the female.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that thingamajiggy. After reading number 8 will be thinking of you on my elevator ride up to the courtroom this morning. Thanks! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hope all went well at the courtroom today...at least safe, in the elevator.

      Delete
  7. Thingamabob, thingamajigger, whatsamabob etc. Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great hodgepodge this week. Never liked Bill Cosby either!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's okay...in a comedy skit, but never made an ideal father!!

      Delete
  9. thanks for teaching me the term 'horn cleat'!

    had to laugh at 'boil your balls' weather. it's only gonna get worse...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....I hope the weather app on my phone is correct...looks like we will have a bit of a cool down for about a week...at least not getting in the boiling pot temps!

      Delete
  10. We haven't gotten past the mid-sixties this whole last week. But that was after a spell of really fine mid-seventies weather. Our summer doesn't really start until after the 4th of July, which is right around the corner, now. I love your female cardinal colors, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...to me 60 is getting a bit chilly...I don't mind the 70s...but when it gets nearing the 90 degree mark with humidity factored in...nope!! But, at least we don't get snow.

      Delete
  11. I think boat-tie-er-upper explains it very well!
    I loved Pa Ingalls.I liked Dr Huxtable too but you make a good point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...to me Dr. H didn't play much of a father role on the program....I want a father who can be strong in ALL ways...not a comedian.

      Delete
  12. This is a great post, Anni....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks bj....you just may encourage me to continue blogging. ;-)

      Delete
  13. Love the cardinals! And nice to know that someone else speaks my language. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thing-a-ma-bob, such a wonderful word for when the ol' brain just can't find the right word! Haha! Loving your beautiful birds!!
    Happy Tuesday!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're some of my favorites Catherine, thanks!

      Delete
  15. Creative photo of the boat 'cleat' and always delightful avian photography for OWT ~ Happy Week to you ~ ^_^

    artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll go for thingamabob. Ariel did :) Love the birds!

    ReplyDelete
  17. great to see this rusted tie-up today...took me right back to times spent on the water...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...nostalgic for you, then, huh? Cool.

      Delete
  18. Thingamabob is so descriptive and we all know what you are talking about! LOL

    Great photos of red and silver. The female is so pretty with her red beak. I enjoyed your early Wednesday Hodgepodge. We disagree on #5 - not that I don't like Charles Ingles, but that you don't like Dr. Huxtable. You can see my answers tomorrow! Have a good Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. by the comments left here today, there are a couple others that didn't like him either. Will check your answer Wednesday sometime Terri.

      Delete
  19. Thingamabob is a perfect word for all the things I can't remember the names for..which are MANY. Yes- that awful humid 90- degree summer time summer time is finally here. Your random thoughts plague my mind quite frequently here lately...especially about restaurants and food at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....ya, me too. I've heard rumors [and I hope they ARE just that] about chefs spitting in food when we have it returned...I'm leery now.

      Delete
  20. Ohhhh, I love the texture of that rusty thingamabob! Cute cardinals, one of my fave birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...me too, I love cardinals. Thanks Karen

      Delete
  21. Thingamajig works too! I use it a lot. I agree with you on Charles Ingalls. Since I didn't see my dad during my formative years, I always wished to be part of that family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya....He would've made a great father comparing to Cliff H. in my opinion.

      Delete
  22. Great humour again!! Boom, Bobbi and Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Boat tier upper works for me!!! :)
    Love your cardinals. I miss seeing colorful birds. They are mostly gray/brown here in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...but European birds are so unique!!!

      Delete
  24. I like your language for the thing a ma bob.

    Pretty cardinal.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the rusty old cleat.

    Still waiting for 'boil your balls' weather over here!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dohicki....works for me. pretty Cardinal shots. Stay cool down there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of dohicky....good one Janey.

      Delete
  27. love the rusty boat-tie-er-upper!

    ReplyDelete
  28. They're both beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I totally agree with Ingalls as the prefect father! It is a shame that he died early, I think he could have done more great inspiring things. I would never have guessed what the thingy was!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You sure ask some difficult question Anni. let me ask you one - Re Trip Advisor. If you found the best palce in the world to go for chill out, holiday, birds, food, scenery etc, would you tell the whole world about it via Trip Advisor? No, neither would I.

    By the way "Boil your balls" sounds a little rude for us English people . Is that a real saying in Texas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil, it's probably a "Navy" thing...Bud always says that when it gets hot. Too hot for his comfort.

      And, I don't ask the questions....it's Joyce...the link to her blog is just under the section "HODGEPODGE"

      Delete
  31. Your photography skills are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the cardinals. We do have those here and a lot at the ranch. Snow on July 4th? Hard for me to imagine living here in south Texas all my life, not even seeing it in winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you live in the high country...a mile or more above sea level, it's bound to snow frequently ....

      Delete
  33. Charles Ingalls was a good father figure and another one that comes to mind is John Walton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann? I can't find any blog link from your profile's name when you came here to leave a comment?!!!

      Delete
  34. I never knew that doohickey was called a horn cleat! Looks like the salt water has done a job on it, though.

    Pretty cardinal photos - they're a favorite of mine.

    Was fun reading your responses to Hodgepodge. :)

    ~Lindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, that's the nautical term....but to me the other terms mentioned in my post AND in the comments fit perfectly. Thanks Lindy

      Delete
  35. What gorgeous red birds! Love the rusty tie-up (whatever it's called!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Whatever it's called"....I like that too.

      Delete
  36. I always love seeing the Cardinals. Great shots of them.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful birds! Lucky you. :)
    We don’t see red kardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) i Norge!

    Eva Jorunn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Your mama swan and her babies makes me say the same of you..."Lucky you".
      Thanks Eva.

      Delete
  38. I like your name better then horn cleat. In fact if someone would use horn cleat in a sentence I would probably draw blank... (even if translated to Bosnian language) :D
    Have a great day!!

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's much easier to say than horn cleat. In my opinion. LOL
      Thanks Mersad, have a great day yourself.

      Delete
  39. Gorgeous bird pics as always : ) I spent some summers in the Rockies visiting my grandparents. My siblings and I loved that we were in shorts and we'd drive up a little higher and there would be snow. Not something we saw in NJ in mid July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...Colorado and the mountains can have snow year 'round. But, at my age, it's something I don't miss at all.

      Delete
  40. Oh my, you opened a can of worms with that 'trust' issue. We always have to be our own advocate and realize that no one cares about us and our healthcare or anything else concerning us as much as we do. Therefore, I find it difficult to trust doctors or especially pharmaceutical companies or politicians - everyone's in it for the bottom line, usually. Money, and how much they'll get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Money...the root of all evil.

      Delete
  41. Beautiful birds, Anni! I love the coloring of the female, too! I wonder why they made that thingamabob out of metal that rusts, considering it probably stays wet 80% of the time. Nice shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well ships are made of metal also, and all too often seen in a dry dock getting refinished.

      Delete
  42. What beautiful bird photos. I always enjoy visiting your blog and viewing the lovely photos. Nice shots!

    ReplyDelete
  43. A very enjoyable read today and thanks for the wonderful pictures. You have made me want a root beer float and to watch Little House reruns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Mildred...I too had to fix me a root beer float. LOL

      Delete
  44. I never get tired of looking at cardinals. They're always fun to watch. I would also go to all islands listed for the same reason. Have a great weekend, Anni. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Shey. I tried to visit with you and leave a comment but, your posts are 'private'.

      Delete
  45. I agree that is a boat tie-er-upper. The Cardinals are beautiful. United is a great word to pick. Yes those what if's are very scary to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...way too many if you let your mind ramble on and on. It's best to not think of the 'what ifs'.

      Delete
  46. Great post.... I love the cardinals and I learned a new word for that thing... Cleat... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...stick around Michelle...this is a learning process. [kidding]

      Delete
  47. "Horn cleat" sounds like some illness that strikes down cows!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete

.