“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Blog Loading Time Rant...

For weeks now, I've been contemplating posting this rant.  I didn't want to make a big 'to do' about it.  But recently, I've been taking too much time allowing some heavy blogs to load.  Even with my cable connection when a blog takes more than 2 or 3 minutes to even partially load that is taking too much of my time I've allotted for myself online!!!  With hopes of not hurting anyone's feelings, I'd like to share these thoughts and helpful hints for us bloggers to keep in mind LOADING TIME for those that don't have fast speed connections.  Also, contemplating allowing comments on this rant....should I or shouldn't I?  Personally, I feel it a valuable piece of information I'm sharing in hopes that some will take notice...



Random Thoughts on Bloggers and Blogs...

1] Use smaller images in pixel size with Lightbox Feature enabled! Faster Loading Time!!!! [after logging in to account on Blogger...go to Account SETTINGS - POST & COMMENTS] find this after page loads...


2] Have only ONE post per page. Blogs with several posts when visitors come to view/read your blog... with huge photos/amounts of photos it lengthens the loading time and with more than one post per page loading time is doubled/tripled/quadrupled!!!! If your visitor is still interested in more of your posts, they can easily find a link to "older pages". But, please, consider loading time. There are some blogs out there that have so much on one page, PLUS animated slideshows on their sidebars even with fast browser connections, it takes way too long and prompts us to leave all too soon. I've done something with my browser of choice and opted to NOT HAVE SHOCKWAVE ENABLED TO ELIMINATE slideshows on some blogs through my browser tools/add ons. It's a shame so many don't take any thought of the time it takes to load these when even it takes a long time with my fast cable connection!!  I know you know your blog is heavy with animations/lots of large images...so, consider ONE post per page. [after logging in to account on Blogger...go to Account SETTINGS - POST & COMMENTS] find this after page loads...



3] Disable your captcha account or word verification. I've been discouraged by the use of captcha or word verification!! Frustration then entails me to LEAVE without sharing a comment. By DISABLING captcha/word verification, you'll be surprised at how many MORE visitors you get. [after logging in to account on Blogger...go to Account SETTINGS - POST & COMMENTS] find this after page loads...


4]If you're on Google Plus, remember...a lot aren't. So if you leave a comment and your url to your most recent post...it helps those of us who like to repay your visit and kind comment you left for them!! Remember your readers and followers....they may not be a member of Google Plus!!


5] With multiple blogs listed Blogger Profiles OR those that have a Blogger account only to leave comments....we, who appreciate your visit/comment would like to repay your compliments...but it's time consuming to do a search/click on the wrong blog link to find your main blog when more than one is listed [or you comment under your Blogger Admin and your blog posts are in Wordpress instead...how do we know that?...leave a link in your comment so we know which blog is your MAIN blog or most current post!!

When you click on a commentor's link who blogs with a Blogger account, it takes you to their profile page...this is what you see. There may or may not be more than one blog listed as seen here:

I'll show you how to hide ALL of your blogs except for your MAIN Blog [you as the administrator of the Blogger account will ALWAYS see your whole slew of blogs...but not your visitors!!!!]

Here is how to hide them all but your main blog
First log in to your account
and then in your browser address bar type in

https://www.blogger.com/edit-profile.g
or
click HERE

Then...you'll see this page


Then...click on "Select Blogs to Display" You'll see this page


...uncheck [untick] ALL but your MAIN Blog and save settings.




As you can see, in my profile blogs to display step --- I have several blogs but if you click on my profile link only Hootin' Anni's Chronicles is displayed for the visitor to save on time and confusion!!!


IT'S YOUR BLOG...use common sense for others who aren't up to speed with fast connections!!!! Consider your blog's loading time!!! Think about your visitor first and foremost!!  Reading posts and leaving comments is what blogging is about for most of  us.

34 comments :

  1. Hi Anni, sorry you have trouble with blog loading. I hope my blog isn't one of the "sinners"! I seem to have all the user-friendly functions and options that you mention in this post. The only thing I changed was to remove 7 posts and change it to one post per day. I think this may help whomsoever struggles/d to access my blog. Thanks! Have a great day. Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It loads a lot faster...but no, your blog has never been that 'heavy'.

      Delete
  2. Hi Anni, sorry you have been having so much trouble.. I changed a few things you mentioned. I hope it helps..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I disable shockwave...and no problems Thanks Eileen.

      Delete
  3. Great tips. You given me work to do, boo hoooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. don't work too hard...they are all just suggestions.

      Delete
  4. I know how frustrating it is when pages load slow. Blogging takes long enough and sitting and waiting is no fun. Now I'm wondering about mine and if it needs tweaked a bit to speed things up. I changed mine a while back to showing 4 posts per page, it had been higher. That's just a personal preference for me because I personally like to see a few posts on one page before I continue on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, your blog has never been heavy in loading time. No worries. And in fact, there aren't that many...just a few.

      Delete
  5. I subscribe to everything you said. I always wanted to do your 5th suggestion, but didn't know how. Now I have changed it. So thank you!

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always appreciated that you leave your main blog's link in your comment for me...thanks. Glad to help too.

      Delete
  6. Good tips here. I am ALL FOR disabling the captcha. Those things are annoying as I'll get out. I have some blogs that I visit that take entirely too long to load - the pictures take forever. And YES it's definitely cumbersome to find a person's main blog when they have several.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they ARE MOST DEFINITELY annoying!!

      Delete
  7. I hope I'm not a sinner, Anni. I display 7 blogs on a page, but I also limit my pictures and always export them in the smallest size possible with iPhoto. I do like to give the option to see them large, though. No moving anything on my page! Let me know if I should change the display to make mine load faster. Thanks for the tips! Lots of these things I didn't know. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....DJ....not at all. Your blog always loads quickly...in an instant!!!

      Delete
  8. This was great information! I went in and changed several things. Hope I got the lightbox thing correct, I left "yes" as what your showed. Thanks for these tips, I had no idea honestly. I was doing several things incorrectly!! Great blog post and great tips. Have a great rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to know I could help. That makes me feel so much better. I was anxious and a bit concerned if I should even post this...with everyone that has read it, there is quite a lot of positive feedback. So, thank YOU.

      Delete
  9. OK so you will HATE my 5 year anniversary post Annie, but honestly I worked on it while in bed sick for days. I took thousands of images, deleted thousands of them, still had thousands to share and then downed it to the best of the best and formed 50 mosaics. Now you say...why did you not plan to share a few over a couple of weeks, Well I am tired and I want to share flight images next week and then the following week, my very favorite images for the season and so I had to work it out the best way that I could. I am bantering now, so you have to forgive me for that to. I hope that you will forgive me and allow me to share with you this very special entry. You can forget reading the summary and just double click on first image and view as a slide presentation and it goes as quick as your sweet little fingers can click. Thanks so much~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary....I could never complain about your blog...and your posts. Each time I visit with you. and it's often, I never have any delay at all...your collages always load quickly!!

      Congratulations on 5 years!!!

      Delete
  10. I totally agree with ALL of this. First...the Google Plus people, hard to find their actual blog without joining Google Plus! And people with multiple blogs! I have to go to each one and look at the date of the posts to determine which is their main one! I think there should be a rule for multiple bloggers that their main one should actually be called "My Main Blog! And I won't even start on those whose posts take 20 minutes to read or look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...now THAT is a grand idea "My Main Blog"...that's surely correct...Blogger should listen to you.

      Delete
  11. I too get frustrated when a blog takes too long to load.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sometimes the frustration is beyond ever wanting to go back and revisit some.

      Delete
  12. A great list of suggestions Anni. Google+ and a long list of blog on the profile are my main too gripes so thanks for addressing those. I check my blogs periodically on my phone and tablet and they load quickly to both. If you ever see one of mine loading slowly let me know please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...nope, never had loading problems with your two blogs.

      Delete
  13. I know what you mean about large pictures taking time to load.
    Mine seem to load ok on my end I hope it loads quickly for others.. I reduced the size of my pictures when I bought my 2nd digital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think some realize they can resize them before uploading to their photo albums online either...

      Delete
  14. Oh, I hope I am not an offender. I size my pics for my blog to save people extra clicks. Hopefully 800x533 px is not too large. The captcha thing and having several blogs listed in your profile are major turnoffs for me. I don't think a lot of people know how to hide them, so I think your post is going to be very helpful for many. I have a G+ account and it's STILL difficult to locate the blog. Please let me know if my blog is on your list of annoyances...the last thing I want to do is aggravate my wonderful readers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not at all....your blog and photos load very quickly on this side.

      Delete
  15. Good points Anni. I'm glad you made them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tips! I changed the things I could see......like the Lightbox. I didn't even know what that was! Still don't but I clicked 'yes!' Also ONE post per page. Thanks for helping those of us who weren't aware of how this works!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post. If mine takes a long time to load please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tips, Anni. I absolutely HATE that captcha thingy. Looks like I am an offender! My son did a loading speed check on my blog for me (google website optimizer) and found that my blog does take a long time to load mainly because of the ads that are slowing it down. I am considering having them removed but they do give me some pocket money which I use to buy stuff offline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant buying stuff online! Can't think straight until I have the cup of coffee!

      Delete
    2. Ooops again! I meant THAT cup of coffee. Dang! Where is the edit button?

      Delete

.