THIS WEEK at I'd Rather B Birdin'
-photos of-


- -AMERICAN BITTERN- -


click on bird name[s] to view them
and read a bit of trivia about them!!
...............Hope to see you there!..............

TAKE NOTE:
My photos are Lightbox enabled! Just click on one...then, continue clicking on enlarged photos!




Tales of Texas...

I haven't done too many posts lately because it's the BiG WeeK!! Spring Migration is now at its peak, and Bud and I are not home much. Just last night after dinner, I always check the Texas Bird Sightings for the day. Lo and behold, posted at 17:14CDT a couple rare birds were spotted on the bay downtown!! Not only rare, but they're not shore birds or land lovers...they prefer the sea, only coming near land to breed/nest. Bud and I hopped in the car and drove to see if we could find them and get photos of them within minutes of the ABA Texas posting. WE DID encounter their perch as reported, but they were too far out on the breakwater and daylight was nearly gone to get really good photos. I took pictures, and will get them off the camera shortly and share on my bird photo blog in the upcoming weeks. Exciting for any birder to see this species... Also, Rubbish by Roan has a fairly new meme going on her blog each Tuesday...Rubbish Tuesday --- post anything old, and link up if you wish!!




I have mentioned weeks ago about receiving a book, Petra's Legacy, from Bud as a gift. Mainly it's about Petra and her notorious husband in the annals of South Texas history...Mifflin Kenedy [one 'n']. Petra was of Mexican decent, having acquired land that was once Old Mexico but all part of the state of Texas after the Mexican-American War in the mid 1830s. Mifflin Kenedy married Petra...hence the land was now in his possession. This was all in and around Brownsville, Texas. Petra had several children from a previous marriage...Mifflin was then a stepfather...one of Petra's eight children was stepdaughter Maria. Mr. Kenedy conveyed land along the Rio Grande River to Maria when she married Frank Rabb. The Plantation house, built in 1891, at the cost of $15K and figuring inflation of ration $1=$25 today, that would be over a quarter million [approximately $375K].  The ranch/plantation was once called San Tomas Plantation and encompassed just over 20,000 acres [20,253] and the river views could be seen from the Queen Anne style plantation home from the windows and verandas...but the river changed course through history and now, you must walk some distance to see the flowing course of the USA boundary with Mexico. Historians changed the name to Rabb Plantation and the Audubon Society was granted the property [2010 I believe] along with the plantation house which was refurbished just a couple of years ago, and is now the sanctuary's visitor center. Here, we paid our admission to hike the trails and eventually see Old Mexico from the safety of American soil....



...after touring the plantation home and walking the surrounding grounds, we began walking toward the river through the heavily wooded areas and finding a resaca trail which we gladly walked!! It was beautiful within the many mesquite trees...and oh so green and filled with scenes that you don't see every day. I will post the trail pictures another time. In the meantime, Bud and I viewed for a short time in silence, after spotting her, so we wouldn't disturb her...a nesting Great Horned Owl; well camouflaged and more than likely not noticed by so many. She was watching us watch her...she was very pretty!!!  It was like nature's nursery...the stillness and quiet surrounding this nesting area was phenomenal...you could hear a pin drop on the forest groundcoverings!!



linking to: Nature Notes, Wild Bird Wednesday, Our World Tuesday, Rubbish Tuesday


Read More...
Frank RABB -[plantation namesake]
Texas Annexation
Sally Scull [aka Skull]- notorious gunslinger/killer of Wild Texas and cousin to Frank Rabb
Petra Kenedy
Mifflin Kenedy
Stepdaughter, Maria's Genealogy listing
Petra Genealogy


- - - *** - - -




HODGEPODGE
linking to: Wednesday Hodgepodge


1. April 22nd is Earth Day. Are you inspired by nature? In what way? Inspiration is the beauty of nature...I'm inspired many ways. Colors, sounds, scents. Everything, I guess. Exception may be the destruction of what we humans can leave behind, i.e., trash, debris, waste, pollutants.

2. Down to earth, four corners of the earth, move heaven and earth, not have an earthly chance, or salt of the earth...which earthly idiom have you most recently encountered? Explain. I guess for me it'd have to be 'down to earth' as I try to be me...nothing more.

3. Share one piece of advice you might give a newly engaged couple. Go into a marriage with the hopes of a good life together, and remember that it's 'for better or worse, richer or poorer, etc. etc.' WORK on a marriage.

4. When did you last engage someone to perform a job, task, service, home repair, or improvement? On a scale of 1-10 (ten being the best) how would you rate their work and/or your satisfaction with the job or service provided? Auto mechanic...errr, um, they prefer to be called technicians now. But, I took the car in for a leak...we'll see in perhaps several weeks if the work was satisfactory.

5. When did you last find yourself engaged in small talk? Are you awkward or an expert or somewhere in between? It's so cliché a conversation, and I really don't like it and try to avoid it...but here goes:

"Hey, Anni? When you get done edging your lawn, you can come here to do mine!"
And I usually respond with some mundane reply..."blah, blah, blah."
Both neighbors will say the same thing...
...and it gets to be old hat!!!
[that's my small talk]

6. What was the last historic place you visited? In state: The 123 year old plantation mentioned above. Out of state: The French Quarter in N'Awlins, LA.

7. The world would be a better place if we just made efforts to respect people, animals and our globe.

8. Insert your own random thought here. The American Birding Association is holding their national birding convention here in our town this year. I plan to attend at least ONE day. And since this is such a busy week, I'm sharing a fence image for Thursday at this time since my schedule is erratic right now:


linking to Good Fences


120 comments:

  1. Looking forward to those rare bird sightings. One of my favorite things to do is visit historical places. The plantation house is beautiful. Right up my alley. But that owl! WOW! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get to see many owls...especially being out during the day.

      Delete
  2. Nice post - anybody how thinks good marriages just happen its probably still single!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Stewart...and thanks for hosting WBW

      Delete
  3. That is sure a beautiful old plantation. I love the owl pictures, looking at you with one eye open one eye closed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was just so sweet!!!

      Delete
  4. I do the same thing. I check the rare bird alert for Iowa and dash out the door if something cool is around! I still have never photographed an owl, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I check not only the rare bird alerts, but ANY bird seen in our area to make sure I'm in the 'know' and have a chance to see some bird I've not seen yet. lol

      Delete
  5. Wow that is a very well preserved heritage. But the owl watching the watchers is a very beautiful find, how so sweet it is! and thanks for your visit to my post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU for stopping by Andrea.

      Delete
  6. That plantation home is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful day you had. That plantation house is just gorgeous! The windows and that wood floor are just amazing. And then to see that owl.... Lovd it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Mari.
      I've always wondered how, back then, the women [or servants] kept up with keeping a house this size cleaned. lol

      Delete
  8. I watch our local bird alerts too, there's an amazing site for passage migrants quite near where I live, just a quick bus ride away....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....then, you understand why I'm not home often then, during migration. LOL

      Delete
  9. Yes I am inspired by nature. God created a beautiful scene and we the people are destroying it little by little. Nice post as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, the younger ones just don't realize they're leaving a trashy legacy behind for the next generation. Guess some of OUR generation is the same tho.

      Delete
  10. I love touring old homes. Great shots of the owl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...me too. And, thanks Karen.

      Delete
  11. what a gorgeous house that is and wow, you found an owl, total bonus!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...truly, a bonus to be sure.

      Delete
  12. Thank you for your visit and kind comments.
    - Inspired by what I may discover on any given day.
    - In a relationship there is you, me and us. All need to be nurtured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU for stopping by here Daniel.

      Delete
  13. I felt myself in the plantation home and was very comfortable. It is a very nice restoration and preservation of this is a very good thing. By the way, the owl winked at me! She's a lovely specimen and your pictures are delightful to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  14. Great pics for the day and what a beautiful old home! I love the owl, too! Hope your week is off to a great start, Anni!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting post and I love the shots of the owl.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love seeing the interior of the plantation house. When I was there in July 2011, the restoration work was still on-going. I loved visiting Sabal Palm Sanctuary and look forward to going again on my next visit to my mom's in Brownsville.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...if you notice the 'modern' chairs in the dining room?!! Need to find some antiques there...and soon.

      Delete
  17. Beautiful plantation house, but that owl is WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for linking up! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. She looks like she is winking at you. Really nice pictures of the owl. From Findlay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....she was, wasn't she?!!

      Delete
  20. Anni you are definitely a woman after my own heart. There you are looking around and admiring this grand old house, but tucked away are your binoculars and your birding brain. Before you know it you've forgotten all about history for the birding.

    Question 1. I think you answered this yourself. Me? definitely "YES" .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been called a bird brain before! rofl

      Delete
  21. Hi There, Great to hear from you... I KNOW how happy a 'birder' is when he/she sees a NEW bird and/or a rare bird... How special is that!!!!!

    That Plantation is AWESOME... I love visiting places like that.. I've been to several of the plantations near New Orleans --and loved visiting them and learning about their history...

    While thinking about Earth Day today, I was reminded of a tree that my eldest son and his class planted in their school yard many moons ago... This son is 50 now (YIPES) ---so it had to have been planted about 40-43 years ago... I'd love to see that tree NOW.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...the Southern Plantations are phenomenal.

      Delete
  22. That old house is beautiful! I love the owl and great to be able to watch and photograph it without disturbing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was a wonderful experience.

      Delete
  23. Can't wait to see the rare bird! Love the owl pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A very interesting post, Nice birds!

    ReplyDelete
  25. pretty old home/mansion. love the shots of the nesting owl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was ecstatic to see the owl nesting!

      Delete
  26. So exciting about going to the convention! and your Great Horned pics are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Ginny. It's been a hectic week with the convention in town. Not to mention the influx of traffic...vehicle and on foot too.

      Delete
  27. Love the owl, Anni! Great sightings. I wish I did not have to work and was able to chase the rare birds. I have to wait until I retire or hope they stick around for the weekends.. Great post, enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you travel a lot tho!!!

      Delete
  28. My neighbors love that "when you're done there, come do the same for me," comment. I guess you can't expect too much comedy in that 15 second interaction. Still, I wouldn't mind new material!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice pictures, enjoy your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you're such a sweet one Denise!

      Delete
  30. Awesome photos of the great horned owl!! How amazing is that?! Can't wait to see the rare birds you spotted. I know what you mean about migration and reading reports. I saw on FB that a painted bunting was found at my favorite nature area, so off I went in search. Did not see the painted, but did see several indigo buntings, waxwings, and a scarlet tanager! It pays to read those reports!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, I don't use facebook at all...my source is ABA in Texas since I'm a member. lol

      Delete
  31. Hi Anni an appropriate bird today for your blog name. Really great shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, now that you mention it!

      Delete
  32. wundervoll Anni
    in der freien Natur so ein Erlebnis..:D
    LG vom katerchen der die Natur auch liebt SEHR

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great photos! I like the old looking house, and the owl. Thanks for mentioning Rubbish Tuesday. I didn't know about that one.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi! Nice captures. Your photos are very beautiful. The owl photos are very cool. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  35. an amazing building and so interesting to see inside, but the Horned Owl 'takes the cake'

    ReplyDelete
  36. Cool fence image...I like that! Enjoy the convention! I think bird watching is something I'd enjoy if we had a little more free time. Maybe once hubs retires : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always enjoyed watching birds as a youngster even...but getting out and photographing them just started since we're now living in migration paradise. lol

      Delete
  37. Good advice to the newly engaged. Marriage IS work. Any opinion to the contrary is delusional. And what a beautiful plantation home. I'd love to visit it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Enjoy the birding convention!
    That's great advice to the engaged couple--so true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, it IS true...an engagement is just the beginning. The work never stops. Even after some 50 years.

      Delete
  39. I bet you're going to have a blast at the birding convention! I think I'd enjoy that, too! Love what you wrote for #7...so TRUE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a hectic week there....but I am enjoying and learning.

      Delete
  40. Are you still a fan of Pujols?? Last night he hit his 500th HR. Have fun at the birding convention. :) I love your answers esp #7 :) Hope you had a great Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh lordy...never been a fan!!!

      Delete
  41. Wow that is exciting to see rare birds. I loved the photo's of the Owl you spotted nesting. She looks like she is winking at your. What a great old home you visited. I would so enjoy touring that if given the chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's still being refurbished and furnished, but it IS a pretty one.

      Delete
  42. I'm certainly going to try to remember to join Joan next week. I have lots of rubbish around here. Love the owls! They are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roan will be pleased to have you join, I'm sure!!!

      Delete
  43. I like your double whammy of the plantation house and the horned owl. It all looks so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it makes me happy to know you enjoyed the post Arija

      Delete
  44. The plantation home is beautiful! Loved that you spotted the Great Horned Owl in the wild,... I've never actually seen owls except in zoos. I recently saw a movie about Birding and find it and Birders fascinating :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...was the movie "The Big Year"? I loved it.

      Delete
  45. Ah, wish I were out birding!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love them old houses but I wonder how people stood it in the summer. When I lived in Victoria, TX I knew people who didn't like air conditioners. Visiting them was a trial in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...in Tucson, a lot of homes had swamp coolers...and they're WORSE than having no air conditioning during the monsoon season!!

      Delete
  47. ...and a great fence!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Love those wraparound porches and the lovely railings on the porch and balcony. How exciting for you to make a rare sighting. I like good news. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  49. thanks, anni! good luck with the birding convention!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Love those wrap-around porches! Wonderful to think of sitting out there and watching the river go by. Lucky you on the nesting owl and yes, don't we love the deafening voice of silence in the forest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was luck I guess finding the owl. Yes, the silence of forests are so enticing...calling to me.

      Delete
  51. Hi Anni Love the fence on the balcony of this house and also the last fence. thanks for comment on my Copeland blog today.Check out my unusual fence today!!

    ReplyDelete
  52. This is one cool place!

    ReplyDelete
  53. I like that idea ... hit all of the meme's in one post then have the rest of the week to yourself ... Great idea, Anni. This is a lovely post and I am impressed with what Audubon has done in your area. I love the Great Horned Owl Mom ... Good that you you remained quiet and calm because I am guessing Dad is near by and they will protect their nest with some ferocity.
    Great wrought iron fence and, as always, I love your Hodgepodge answers. You do have a good head on your shoulders :) Enjoy your wonderfully busy week ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I used to post every day, and got lazy one time and decided to do just two or three posts a week and combine memes if necessary. It works for me.

      Delete
  54. Oh I love the plantation and have never been to one myself. And what a treat to see the GHO. I would love to see one in person....Happy Spring.. Michelle from Nature Notes

    ReplyDelete
  55. What lovely photos of the plantation home. I love all of your nature photos. It's always a joy to visit your blog and view the postings on birds and nature.

    ReplyDelete
  56. I so love those shots of the owl! Wow! New Orleans is quite a wonderful city. I love history and there is plenty there! Been a while since I have traveled there. Thanks for the terrific share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...other than being one of the dirtiest cities in our country, I agree about its historic value.

      Delete

.