“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





The Week that Was...

1 Around here, Spring Migration is becoming a reality again for the season. It's only just begun, but so many of the wintering birds of the warmer climes south of our borders are returning north. And they're stopping by on their way!! The cattle egrets [seen below] are nearly as abundant in the fields as the Texas Bluebonnets!! I've seen the first arriving Black and White Warblers, and one Black Throated Green Warbler! Both warblers are favorites. Tho, difficult to get good photos of since they flit around so quickly!! Altho the migration has begun, you wouldn't know it in our yard yet...so far the same ol' same ol' year 'round residents: doves, sparrows, mockingbirds and grackles! I'm waiting.....



2] I finished reading a pretty good mystery this week!! The Lincoln Deception. John Wilkes Booth has always been a fascinating character in America's history for me ever since I toured the Ford's Theater in Washington D.C. Well, actually before I visited...he is one of the reasons I made sure I perused the theater in the first place. But, I must tell you, while at Barnes and Nobel a few months ago, as Bud was checking out the newly published books in the history section, I was over at the recent novels, and spotted this book...grabbed it off the shelf, and went into Starbucks with an iced tea and sat down and read it while waiting for Bud to get through. Granted, while there, I only read a couple of chapters. But, the story line had me fixated...and I thought of it over and over again after we left. I did NOT buy the book. The more I thought of it, the more I wished I HAD bought it. Then, a couple weeks afterward, I went back since we were near the bookstore again. There wasn't one to be found. I waited for weeks for it to show up at the used book store. Nothing. Nada. No book showing up on the recently published half price shelves. Finally, I ordered one through Half Price Books and had it home delivered. Here is a blurb from an online reference:
    A deathbed confession and a long hidden conspiracy are at the heart of a riveting historical mystery centered on the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. In March 1900, as former Congressman John Bingham of Ohio lies dying, he begins to tell a strange tale to his physician, Dr. Jamie Fraser. Bingham famously prosecuted eight members of John Wilkes Booth's plot to kill Lincoln. But during the 1865 trial, conspirator Mary Surratt divulged a secret so explosive it could shatter the republic.
Altho it didn't hold true of my perception of how it would turn out or how the story line would go from reading the first few pages at the coffee shop...I wasn't all that disappointed! It's still a good book. If you are into American History of the Civil War Era, I would say it's a fun adventure with a lot of twists and turns into the annals of the Lincoln Conspiracy. The author is a renowned non-fiction writer of our past. With books published such as: "Impeached", "American Emperor", and "The Summer of 1787"... I'm sure there was a lot of research done on his part before attempting to compose and publish a fictionalized caricature of those involved in the assassination. Tho, novelized, it really makes you stop and think how possible his scenario could've been. NOT the two main characters [which by the way are based on two real individuals], but of the historical value within the pages.  The what ifs.

3] Have you ever heard of the Russian dish, Pelmeni?  I hadn't....'til Olga made them for us over the past weekend.  She had no recipe. She made them from scratch.  They're a lot like ravioli...stuffed dough [but not a pasta dough]; filled with ground beef, onion, salt and pepper.  The dough is simply flour, water, and one egg.  It took her most of the afternoon this past Saturday.  We snacked on some as she and Erik prepared them ---and froze about 60 of the uncooked ones for safe keeping when I don't want to cook anything.  All I have to do is plop them into boiling water for about 15 minutes and presto!! They're very good...


Olga & Erik preparing Pelmeni in our kitchen

4] I can't believe I missed my own grandson's birthday this month!! I will blame it on age! I did realize I had forgotten to send him something along with a card as I was talking to Irene on the phone...so, Monday, I quickly made amends and shipped off something first thing that day. Geez.

5] Lastly this week for my list of five is the gift I received from my sister on Sister's Day. A beautiful black lacquered music/jewelry box she had purchased in Cedaredge Colorado. And what I really like about it? Ironically the duo/twin bracelets that I purchased for each of us, fits perfectly within the jewel section!! Oh and the music is a favorite of mine also...Fur Elise by Beethoven - of which I played on the piano over and over so many times Bud plugged his ears or left the room. lol






[photo of pelmeni, prepared, is courtesy of Google image search/wikipedia]

90 comments :

  1. Fur Elise was my recital piece at age 10 and I hated it. Now it is pleasant to my ears. Times change. Are those egrets the ones that sit on the backs of the cattle picking at skin bugs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's funny in a way...we all go through the change of likes and dislikes as we grow with time. Yes, I do believe these egrets are often found near cattle and on their backs often...but they do 'herd' in flocks on fields also.

      Delete
  2. That book sounds like something I would love- and I'm headed off to find a copy. My sister is a book store manager, so I'm going to hit her up first. The jewelry box is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I always like a good historical novel myself also!

      Delete
  3. You have the greatest birds around you!
    I've never heard of Pelmeni, but they look good and how handy to have in your freezer! I've played Fur Elise for a recital piece too - always did like that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I melted butter and pour it over the boiled dumplings....MMMMmmmmm!

      Delete
  4. You lucky sis - what pretty jewelry box! I like that you tracked that book down. Now, if I could convince you to read on a Kindle, you could have instant gratification. I look forward to your spring migration photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a kindle...look on my sidebar what I'm reading on that. ;-)

      Delete
  5. How neat to have so many different birds stopping by! Sounds like a good read. I'll have to look for that one. I like a good historical book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....me too Joey...historical novels are always good for reading.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful post....your Random things are extraordinary. How nice to have treats ready to eat made with loving hands.
    Happy Sister's Day
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the cattle egrets. the jewelry box is neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...there were so many in the field that day, it was hard to pick out just a few to photograph.

      Delete
  8. Oh, I'm a little jealous of the warbler sightings. :/ I want to see those two so badly! Glad you had fun with Erik. I'm waiting on the day I forget a birthday--bound to happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I still can't get over it. I think this was the first EVER of forgetfulness for me. Bah.

      Delete
  9. Makes me feel so bad when I forget a relatives birthday. I recently forgot my son-in-law so when we were passing through I think it was Lockhart we stopped at a Walgreens. I had never seen jeans on their shelves until then so I bought him a pair that he likes. Nice sister gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen scarves and mittens at our Walgreens but not jeans....that'll be next on their shelves then, probably.

      Delete
  10. OK. I just spent five hours today watching Lincoln documentaries. "The Hunt for Booth" and then three hours of "Lincoln". I totally in over my head with Lincoln and always have been since 5th grade. And now I'm going to Barnes and Nobel. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's a fun read, but remember it's fictional.

      Delete
  11. I'm another Fur Elise recital player. I always rather liked it though I'm sure my parents were thoroughly sick of it by recital time.
    I have such a love/hate relationship with warblers. They are so gorgeous but they deliberately thwart my attempts to get a good enough look at them to identify. I've about decided that I just "don't do" warblers....but I always end up trying to identify them anyway.
    I love your Sister's Day tradition! What a lovely idea! Here's to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know those warblers are definitely a challenge!!

      Delete
  12. Nice gift from your Sis! I love the Cattle Egrets.. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos of the egrets! And a very nice gift of the special jewelry box from your sister! I also loved playing Fur Elise! Moonlight Sonata was another of Beethoven's that I loved to play. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH yes....the classical music is still the best in my opinion.

      Delete
  14. Anni, Love the egrets--it sounds like you still have a busy backyard with doves, mockingbirds, etc. The music box is lovely (Fur Elise is one of my favorite pieces). What a thoughtful gift from your sister. Have a great weekend. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mickie!! Long time, no see. It's great to have you visit with me.

      Delete
  15. I love the top of your blog!! The branch and the bird look great!! I enjoyed your news!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a nice gift from your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't tell you how many times I've not bought something, changed my mind and when I've gone back to purchase it, it's no longer there. I could kick myself every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....I do the very same...very often.

      Delete
  18. Neat egret pictures! I don't know a lot about migrating bird species.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...we have hundreds here!!

      Delete
  19. An interesting selection to read here! :) I will comment on one. If you had not said that ground beef was inside, I'd have assumed that the Russian Pelmeni was a dish of Polish Perogy which is common around my area ; they can be stuffed with anything but commonly they are stuffed with a mashed potato mixture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! Olga told me that Pelmeni can be stuffed with mashed potatoes.

      Delete
  20. Oh I love Cattle Egrets I have cattle and have only seen one of these birds once:)
    Pelimeni is much like Pierogis and look delicious.
    I missed my Son in law to be's birthday yes I am blaming age too:)
    That is a beautiful jewelry and music box and sisters are the best. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...all I can say is "good...at least someone else has forgotten birthdays". LOL

      Delete
  21. All I can say is WOW, Annie! Your header is magnificent! What an incredible welcome mat you've put out for us ...

    ;-}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...why, thank you kindly Linda!

      Delete
  22. I am waiting for our birds of summer to return. Hopefully soon. Lovely jewelry box. Very pretty!
    Have a happy weekend!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Catherine...have a happy weekend yourself.

      Delete
  23. That sounds like a great book recommendation. I love how civilised your bookshops are in the America. Fancy being able to enjoy a coffee whilst deciding whether or not to buy a book: sensational! Have a great weekend, Bonny @ just saying ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say 90% of those that read while drinking at the cafe don't bother purchasing the book/magazine either.

      Delete
  24. Always enjoy your birding shots, and what a wonderful jewelry box that is... how wonderful also to have a twin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, my sister is NOT a TWIN tho. She's seven years older than I am.

      Thanks Jeanne

      Delete
  25. The grackles are arriving in hoards up here Anni! The pelmeni looks similar to perogies. That's a lovely gift from your sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many are referring to Perogies...may have to look this up to compare.

      Thanks Karen.

      Delete
  26. YEA.. The Birds are migrating. Spring must really be here.. I enjoyed reading your random 5.

    BTW.. We did cross over to Coronado Island. LOVE that place.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. San Diego is such a wonderful city. I'd live there...easily.

      Delete
  27. Those birds are pretty cool. Here we don't get that type of a bird so I'm just excited even seeing the doves.
    I haven't read in such a long time. I need to amend that soon.
    Oh that dish your friends made sounds so yummy. I'll check that out.
    (Just so you know since I couldn't reply to your comment, It's (Coleen) with only 1 L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One "L"...I'll try and remember.

      Delete
  28. I think I'd love to watch those birds any day! They are so cute! Haven't heard of that book but it looks like a great read. I'm sure your grandson will forgive you....depending on what you got him! :-) There's a Sister's Day? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well there is a sister's day here at my house and Sharon's LOL

      Delete
  29. great 5s, Anni ! thanks for letting us in on the confession ;)
    you made great amends .. well done!
    love the dish and gift - lovely.. enjoy =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I'm glad you enjoyed my randoms this week.

      Delete
  30. Books easily found on my right sidebar search with FREE shipping no minimum. Lincoln Deceptionincluded & audiobook available for preorder - easy peasy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for the 'head's up'!!

      Delete
  31. Hi Girlie, Hope you have had a good week. We have been traveling again... It's been three states this month (Arkansas, Ohio and North Carolina)... CRAZY!!!!

    I can imagine how much you love seeing all of the birds this time of year in your area. NEAT....

    It's easy to forget birthdays --at ANY age. I keep things on ONE calendar --with reminders coming to me. That helps!!!!

    Great gift from your sister.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have the 'reminder' set up in my email...'til I changed email addresses/account. Never did set it up again. I should do that.

      Delete
  32. oh those pelmeni's sound yummy and what a great gift from your sissy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they were very good! Thanks Tanya

      Delete
  33. Well, age is a good excuse for forgetting your Grandson's birthday ... only your Grandson will have to be a Grandpa before he really appreciates it :) But, don't fret, it has happened to the best of us. Love that you are getting the front end of the migrations. Our lake is still frozen and I am hoping the birds don't make it here until there is open water (the water birds that is). I am beginning to see flocks of small birds and we do have Sandhills already so it is about to happen.
    My son fixed dumplings for us recently. I don't eat them often because they tend to be on the weight gaining list, but I loved them. Your dumplings sounded very interesting and yummy ... lucky you :) I enjoy a good mystery and especially if it is based on real life ... I may go out and look into this one. Thanks :) Finally, I just recently was going through some things that my sister (who was an amazing artist) made for me years ago. They touched my heart because she passed away shortly after she gave them to me ... Be thankful that you still have a sister ... especially one who loves you so dearly. Her gift is a delight.

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While the kids were here, and Olga cooked a lot, I admit I added a couple of pounds, but I figure you only live once, enjoy it while you can. Now, it's working off those added fat cells that hurts. rofl.

      Thanks Andrea...you always leave such positive feedback and of that I am very appreciative.

      Delete
  34. Looks like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your header is incredibly beautiful and exquisite!! Don't feel bad about the birthday, Phil and I are in a disagreement right now about Anne. I say she will be 9 next week and he says 8. We cannot ask he parents because how embarrassing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe when alone with Anne, ask her if she knows how old she is...as a game of sorts.

      Delete
  36. The music box is so pretty, and how special to receive that from your sister. I can imagine you will be welcoming back all the birds! And don't worry about the birthday -- my grandkids don't care if their gifts are early or late. No big deal. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Sharon. Ya, you're probably right about grandkids, but it still boggles my mind I forgot. LOL

      Delete
  37. enjoyed your '5' -- new meme for me, you know I'm usually 'birding'. Can imagine how you felt forgetting your g/sons b/day; it happens! We can't keep tabs on all and sundry all the time. You made up for it, and a lovely gift for Sisters Day, didn't even know there was one day for that even.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole...as for Sister's Day ...it's not a holiday, it's just something the two of us set aside to celebrate each other.

      Delete
  38. I always enjoy your posts Anni. I just welcomed grandchild number four as you saw in my post. Maybe it's time for a calendar to help me remember all the days. :)
    I love your sister's gift safely tucks away the bracelet you had picked. What a wonderful bond you have with each other and a beautiful tradition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carletta!! And I adore your new grandbaby.

      Delete
  39. Great randoms Anni -- the pelmeni dish sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a lovely jewelry box. Sisters rock!
    I'd like to see Cattle Egrets as plentiful as bluebonnets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the particular field we sighted them in was nearly 'floating' with white!

      Delete
  41. Such a lovely gift. The egret is very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Anni, stopping by to say thanks for sharing your post on Saturday's Critters. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU for hosting Eileen.

      Delete
  43. I enjoyed the cattle egrets, I have never seen them before. They have beautiful coloring!! It must be fun to live in a popular migration path!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it is...but being a fanatic at times, I tend to get nothing much else done but bird watching.

      Delete
  44. Great jewelery box. I saw lots of cattle egrets and herons when I lived in the midwest.

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a lovely gift! I love historical novels too especially British history. I had an obsession with the Tudor era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I TOO LOVE the Tudor history!!!

      Delete

.