I'm not sure exactly, but when I first spotted the two blossoming bushes in a city park here a couple, few, days ago, I thought it was perhaps some sort of Spirea bush. The blossoms smelled so similar to spirea. On closer inspection, the blossoms were in clusters...and spirea [at least the kind my folks had in Colorado] are more or less blooming in tendrils. I know that's not the proper word, but it's all I can think of right now. This is as close as they come. Perhaps it's called Diablo Ninebarks? Or, if I am wrong, and you know what they are, please...do tell!!!
...then farther into the wooded area of this particular park, I have to stop and
...after leaving this area, we walked a very small incline to where we heard a woodpecker. I spotted the female Golden Fronted Woodpecker just before she left and flew into another tree---
---then, I sat and watched for some time as the Golden Fronted was working on making a nest cavity in another tree.
1. Do you have an interest in learning about your family's heritage? Why or why not? If you know a little bit about your roots, share an interesting piece of trivia or a fun fact about someone who goes way back on your family tree. Oh yes, a couple of years ago, I finally authored and published a book...300+ pages. I titled it "Inherited Lineage"...I wrote about it a bit here with this link. A piece of trivia from way back on my side: An ancestor came to America on a ship in the 1700s and his wife died on the journey...buried at sea; three small boys [sons] were there coming to America. And that family bible is in a museum today. On Bud's side of the family: One of his ancestors was a signer of the Declaration of Independence --but, not a direct lineage...cousin of cousins generations ago. Another was an Indian Scout who disappeared never to be found. A piece of trivia from recent times...it took me 25+ years of research before the book was published!!
2. Branch Rickey, the baseball exec credited with signing Jackie Robinson, is quoted as saying- "Luck is the residue of design."
Agree or disagree? Why? I have no idea what that means. I'm not even sure I believe in luck; at least for me, even tho I consider others 'lucky' But for me and my life it's more so fate; something that is pre-determined would better fit I think. FATE brought me and Bud together many years ago; by two different circumstances that happened within the same year/months.
3. In the town where you currently reside, what's your favorite green space? I like the Shoreline Drive and beyond where the same street turns into Ocean Drive...the well manicured lawns and the mansions on one side, the bay on the other side lined with numerous parks and pretty views of the sea. A place for joggers, parks, piers, palm trees, etc. From the start at the ship channel for about [I'm guessing] 5 miles...you can walk the distance and enjoy a seaside community.
4. Who is your favorite comedian? So many!! From yesteryear, Red Skelton. Oh and I would really like to possess one of Mr. Skelton's original clown paintings!! They're worth a fortune, but just to have one......
Today, I would have to say the ventriloquist, Jeff Dunham. IOW ---Jef-f-f-fa-fa!! He has so many 'dummies'. Walter [crotchety old man who reminds me of Bud, lol] - José, Bubba, Achmed, and more...but my all time favorite is Peanut!!! So hyper and so darned funny!!! We were in the front row of one of his live shows. I laughed so much, I ached for hours afterwards. Here is a 12 minute skit with Jeff and Peanut. Hilarious!!
image of peanut is a screen shot
no copyright infringement intended
5. March is National Nutrition Month, and almost everyone needs to improve their diet in some way. What about you? How can you improve your nutrition on a daily basis? Will you try? I have been trying!!... to eat a lot of fruit and veggies daily!! But, I give myself one day each week to eat the 'bad foods' for being good the other 6 days.
6. Which of these green expressions have you 'experienced' in recent weeks -green with envy, green thumb, green around the gills, or give the green light? Explain. I guess it'd be 'give the green light'. Two things actually...Interior redesign...I'm planning on changing wall colors in each room...three bedrooms, dining room, kitchen, and living room. I've been thinking it over and gave myself the green light to go ahead and begin. Choosing colors right now and getting ideas. Then, the 2nd thing for a green light...making reservations for a road trip to go birding. Naturally. Next month!!!
7. Where is one place you don't mind waiting? A reputed restaurant. But, we try to make it an early dinner then...because we know the wait will be 30 minutes or more!! The food, the service, and the ambiance is always well worth the wait!!
8. Insert your own random thought here.
You may have noticed the new decal I added to my right sidebar at the top...
Erik called me yesterday over his lunch hour between teaching classes at a local college....
He was finally accepted to U of H for his doctorate!! Not his first choice of academia, but at least he'll get his PhD degree.
I will start, as of yesterday, calling him "Doc" ...
I'm thrilled beyond words.
linking to: Wednesday Hodgepodge