“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Nature, Birds, Our World & a bit o' Hodgepodge...

I'm not sure exactly, but when I first spotted the two blossoming bushes in a city park here a couple, few, days ago, I thought it was perhaps some sort of Spirea bush. The blossoms smelled so similar to spirea. On closer inspection, the blossoms were in clusters...and spirea [at least the kind my folks had in Colorado] are  more or less blooming in tendrils. I know that's not the proper word, but it's all I can think of right now.  This is as close as they come. Perhaps it's called Diablo Ninebarks?  Or, if I am wrong, and you know what they are, please...do tell!!!





...then farther into the wooded area of this particular park, I have to stop and be humbled by admire the stately titan... [my guess jutting up to the sky at least 50-60 feet; probably more!]... this old tree. Especially at a certain hour when the sun is directly above me and the light if filtering through the massive, twisted, branches. Just looking up to the heavens through the branches it makes me realize just how small I am, and how I'm such a minute piece of the puzzle of life as I know it. I'm sure most of those who traverse the pathways of this park miss it's beauty because of where it's located - back off the beaten path, hidden in a darkened corner....




...after leaving this area, we walked a very small incline to where we heard a woodpecker.  I spotted the female Golden Fronted Woodpecker just before she left and flew into another tree---




---then, I sat and watched for some time as the Golden Fronted was working on making a nest cavity in another tree.








HODGEPODGE


1. Do you have an interest in learning about your family's heritage? Why or why not? If you know a little bit about your roots, share an interesting piece of trivia or a fun fact about someone who goes way back on your family tree. Oh yes, a couple of years ago, I finally authored and published a book...300+ pages. I titled it "Inherited Lineage"...I wrote about it a bit here with this link. A piece of trivia from way back on my side: An ancestor came to America on a ship in the 1700s and his wife died on the journey...buried at sea; three small boys [sons] were there coming to America. And that family bible is in a museum today. On Bud's side of the family: One of his ancestors was a signer of the Declaration of Independence --but, not a direct lineage...cousin of cousins generations ago. Another was an Indian Scout who disappeared never to be found. A piece of trivia from recent times...it took me 25+ years of research before the book was published!!

2. Branch Rickey, the baseball exec credited with signing Jackie Robinson, is quoted as saying- "Luck is the residue of design."
Agree or disagree? Why?
I have no idea what that means. I'm not even sure I believe in luck; at least for me, even tho I consider others 'lucky' But for me and my life it's more so fate; something that is pre-determined would better fit I think. FATE brought me and Bud together many years ago; by two different circumstances that happened within the same year/months.

3. In the town where you currently reside, what's your favorite green space? I like the Shoreline Drive and beyond where the same street turns into Ocean Drive...the well manicured lawns and the mansions on one side, the bay on the other side lined with numerous parks and pretty views of the sea. A place for joggers, parks, piers, palm trees, etc. From the start at the ship channel for about [I'm guessing] 5 miles...you can walk the distance and enjoy a seaside community.

4. Who is your favorite comedian? So many!! From yesteryear, Red Skelton.  Oh and I would really like to possess one of Mr. Skelton's original clown paintings!!  They're worth a fortune, but just to have one......
Today, I would have to say the ventriloquist, Jeff Dunham. IOW ---Jef-f-f-fa-fa!! He has so many 'dummies'. Walter [crotchety old man who reminds me of Bud, lol] - José, Bubba, Achmed, and more...but my all time favorite is Peanut!!! So hyper and so darned funny!!! We were in the front row of one of his live shows. I laughed so much, I ached for hours afterwards. Here is a 12 minute skit with Jeff and Peanut. Hilarious!!
image of peanut is a screen shot
no copyright infringement intended

5. March is National Nutrition Month, and almost everyone needs to improve their diet in some way. What about you? How can you improve your nutrition on a daily basis? Will you try? I have been trying!!... to eat a lot of fruit and veggies daily!! But, I give myself one day each week to eat the 'bad foods' for being good the other 6 days.

6. Which of these green expressions have you 'experienced' in recent weeks -green with envy, green thumb, green around the gills, or give the green light? Explain. I guess it'd be 'give the green light'. Two things actually...Interior redesign...I'm planning on changing wall colors in each room...three bedrooms, dining room, kitchen, and living room. I've been thinking it over and gave myself the green light to go ahead and begin. Choosing colors right now and getting ideas. Then, the 2nd thing for a green light...making reservations for a road trip to go birding. Naturally. Next month!!!

7. Where is one place you don't mind waiting? A reputed restaurant. But, we try to make it an early dinner then...because we know the wait will be 30 minutes or more!! The food, the service, and the ambiance is always well worth the wait!!

8. Insert your own random thought here.
You may have noticed the new decal I added to my right sidebar at the top...
Erik called me yesterday over his lunch hour between teaching classes at a local college....
He was finally accepted to U of H for his doctorate!! Not his first choice of academia, but at least he'll get his PhD degree.
I will start, as of yesterday, calling him "Doc" ...
I'm thrilled beyond words.

linking to: Wednesday Hodgepodge

122 comments :

  1. Not sure what it is, but the blossoms are beautiful. Love seeing the bird shots, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was fun to watch the woodpecker...it's head would disappear in the cavity, then out it'd come and spitting out chunks of wood.

      Delete
  2. Whatever it is, it's stunning....I'm wondering if it's some type of fruit tree...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...could be, I really don't know for sure.

      Delete
  3. a promise of spring, lovely blossoms and I especially loved the birding snaps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as you ready for autumn!! [another perfect season]...thanks Carole

      Delete
  4. Those blossoms are wonderful - I can hardly wait until spring arrives here and brings all the smells. Our snow is melting fast - I hope Mother Nature is not teasing me!!!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read somewhere that El Nino is back, that means a more rainy area here! And I'm ready for it.....too long a drought the past few years.

      Delete
  5. Oh what beautiful blossoms! I'm currently posting a flower or bloom a day in solidarity with a blogger friend who lives in Western New York. The winter has been so long and sever there that she's posting a bloom a day until the snow melts. I, who live in warm climes all year 'round here in Northern Tanzania, and cannot bear the cold (even the mildest winters we have in our home town in South Africa), have decided to post a bloom a day with her. I love your Woodpeckers and LOVE the bird on the side. Anni, re your comment on my post today: are you a heavy earthmoving machine operator? Awesome. I've driven one of the huge CAT trucks way back in 2004 on a gold mine in West Africa. Of course, I've posted about that too! Have a great day. Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting Jo!!! I would love to get behind it all and experience that that you did in '04

      Delete
  6. That's an easy one Anni. My favourite comedian is also a very famous politician. I bet you have those too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you crack me up Phil!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  7. Looks like a fruit blossom to me. Whatever it is, it's beautiful. I didn't realize that spirea has a smell. My sniffer is failing me, I guess. Congratulations on having a doctor in the house! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing. My grandmother loved birding. She was great at IDing them by sight or sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I'm gettin' there!!! Birds are such a fascinating subject.

      Delete
  9. those blossoms are amazing and I have never seen a golden wood pecker. he looks a lot like ours with red... beautiful and i like the diving in the hole

    I am with you on Red skeleton. i loved him and Bob Hope...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob Hope....dang, I forgot about him also...Nookworm mentioned Carol Burnett too...

      Thanks Sandra. Glad you enjoyed the post today.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful blossoms! And Red Skelton- I used to watch him with my grandfather when I was a little girl. No one like Red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...grandfather!?!! Oh, you're such a young'un!!! LOL Thanks, Shelly, glad you liked the unknown blossoms.

      Delete
  11. Well, I am descended (or I am a descendant of - grammar is tripping me up this morning!) from either Lewis or Clark on my mother's side. Someone had a very extensive family tree done once and though I've looked at it a bunch of times I only remember Lewis & Clark. I can't ever remember which was my distant relative.

    My grandmother always told me that my Italian ancestors were drunkards and horse thieves. That narrows it down!

    Your watermarks are adorable. What a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....kinda like the Irish beer drinkers/pub owners in our history. LOL

      That would be exciting to find out that you're distantly related to the Lewis [Or Clark] family!!!

      Delete
  12. I find it comforting that so many of us like to look into the trees, find the birds, see the flowers and enjoy each other's blogging styles. There is beauty all around and so many don't see or appreciate it. You do, for sure! And my favorite comedian is Carol Burnett.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy everyone's nature loving attitude also Ms. G....oh, I forgot about Carol Burnett...yep, enjoyed her also.

      Delete
  13. that woodpecker is really neat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think your blossoms are chokecherry tree blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so....we had chokecherries in the foothills in Colorado...they prefer a more alkaline soil...down here the soil is too dense and clay. The blossoms [at least the ones in Colorado...in Colorado there may have been a total different species] were much different and more or less an elongated cluster. From my memory anyway.

      Delete
  15. Hi Annie, Thanks for visiting me earlier today, glad you did as it brought me here. I enjoyed your pics and love your blog name! The woodpecker is sure a handsome guy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks!! Glad you decided to stop by!!

      Delete
  16. ANNI I NEED TO COME BIRDING IN YOUR FAIR CITY.
    BRAVO BRAVO FOR DR. ERIK!! LOTS OF LUCK TOO I WORKED WITH PhD candidates in Physics for 25 years...I know the path he is about to walk.
    HUGS MADI AND MOM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I just may consult with you a few times then!! Thanks for the 'bravo'...I'm so excited for him.

      Delete
  17. Great shots Anni. I love the blossoms, though I'm not sure what they are. The golden-fronted woodpecker is fun to watch too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that they are. Very fun to watch.

      Delete
  18. Congrats to Erik. Wonderful news!
    I've never even heard of a golden fronted wp. Lovely photos you have shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Mildred. Hope he can accomplish getting his degree he's been wanting for so long. And the GF woodpeckers are just here I believe.

      Delete
  19. Those blossoms look so familiar!! I remember seeing them in Dallas when I lived there. Wish I could think of the name.

    Now, your golden fronted woodpecker: AWESOME! Wow, what a great sighting. You lucky, lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...we'll try and go back and see if the 'nest' was accomplished and in use in a day or two. I hope!!

      Delete
  20. I remembered! It looks very similar to my former neighbor's cherry blossom tree. Could that be it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nookworm...Ms. G said it could be a chokecherry....your guess, her guess is better than what I came up with as I was searching google. Thanks for thinking of it.

      Delete
  21. Wow, such lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  22. MOL Anni today is a special day for me; however, since mom is CFO and has the thumbs she made an executive decision to celebrate on Friday.
    Hugs madi

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pretty photos, Anni! I love seeing the different woodpeckers, we have one like this one, but it's got a red head.

    There are so many comedians from years ago that made me laugh, it would be hard to pick just one. Tim Conway on Carol Burnett's show always cracked me up. Bob Hope, Red Skelton, Don Nickles...to name a few. BG and I like Jeff Dunham, too. It would be fun to see a live show!

    Congrats to your son! Okay, back to house cleaning. lol! I'm not making much progress. This computer always seems to jump into my lap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Cheryl. Y'know, I'm really REALLY blond. It just dawned on me that the TFD is The Farmer's Daughter. Slow as molasses in January here. Brain cells are fried.

      Oh yes...Tim Conway. Gosh, you bloggers are so smart...I forget all the good one y'all have mentioned so far.

      Delete
  24. I love looking up into the tallest branches of tree.Beautiful pictures here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Ruth, glad you enjoyed the post today.

      Delete
  25. Congratulations to Erik! You must be so proud, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ,,,thank you kindly. Yes, I am VERY proud.

      Delete
  26. The blossoms are pretty. Congrats to your son, Erik! Great news! I love the woodpecker, one I have on my want to see list.. Have a happy week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you'll only be able to see this species here in South Texas...so, come on down.

      Delete
  27. Beautiful pictures!
    I love genealogy too. You have some great family history.
    We love Jeff Dunham too. Our cat does this thing where he "stalks" after Heather when she's not looking. Bob started calling him Achmed, after Jeff's character.
    Congratulations to Erik - what an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your hubs calls Oliver Achmed? Oh my. rofl

      ...thanks Mari. Erik has waited patiently to work on his PhD...now the work begins.

      Delete
  28. Congratulations to Erik!! I enjoyed your post and early Hodgepodge! Your photos, as always, are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'know I always do the Hodgepodge early 'cause I only do two posts a week anymore. I have to combine them or be on the computer way too much...need to be outdoors and get other things done. Thanks for the congrats to Erik...I'll pass it on to him.

      Delete
  29. Congratulations to your son. I've seen the flowers before but I don't know the name. They are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Paula...I guess it's some kind of fruit tree/bush. Too many mention cherry of some kind. I'll have to make sure I pay attention in the coming weeks to see the 'berries' if any.

      Delete
  30. Great shots of the birds and new flowers. Congratulations to your son.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am fond of woodpeckers and I like your photos of them. I don't know what the pretty bush with the white flowers is. That was interesting to read your Hodgepodge answers.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dear Anni, I do love watching the birds. These beautiful creatures just seem to make me happy. Thank you for sharing these lovely pictures. Blessings dear .Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  33. It was a lovely surprise to see those blossoms on trees in your area! Spring is on its way.

    Congratulations to your son on being accepted into a doctoral program!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister told me it was rainy/snowy on the Western Slope...hope Spring arrives soon to CO.

      Delete
  34. The blossoms look a lot like the ones that we always got on the pear tree that used to be in my back yard. I'm going to miss seeing those this spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...from a lot of the replies this time around...it just HAS to be a fruit tree of some kind then.

      Delete
  35. Golden Fronted Woodpecker...Annie, that is a new one for me and how pretty it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. both male and female are pretty in my opinion!!

      Delete
  36. I love your big huge tree. Nice pics of the birds. I have decided that I don't have enough patience to be a birder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can still enjoy them as you take your noon-time walks y'know. Right?

      Delete
  37. I've taken pictures of those same blossoms before and I had no clue what they were. I find it so interesting that you wrote a book about your family history. I admire anyone who takes the time to do that...what a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I didn't write a book per sé....just published family history such as bible snippets, photos, records such as death, marriage, birth, etc. Once you get going on it...there are so many generations that the records and such grows to a huge, vast, amount of info.

      Delete
  38. Those blossoms are really pretty. Congrats on having a doctor in the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Veronica...I'm thrilled as you can tell.

      Delete
  39. I love Red Skelton too. My sister met him once, he came into the bank where she was working in Tennessee, and she said he was so nice. Exactly as you'd imagine he would be. Congrats to your soon to be Dr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh what a thrill that would have been to meet Mr. Skelton. Thanks Joyce, for the congrats and for hosting.

      Delete
  40. Love the Blossom Anni, can't waite to see ours, and good shots of the busy woody .
    All the best Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm looking forward to waiting in my favorite restaurant soon. We hardly ever get to go there, but a birthday seems like the perfect time to eat out.

    Our family also enjoys Jeff Dunham, a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ,,, a birthday night out is always good!!!

      Delete
  42. The burial at sea and the three young children losing their mother is such a tragic story.

    Love the photos of the blossoms and birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for the comforting words, yes, I thought it was really tragic also. In so many ways, I think generations before us were much stronger than we are today.

      Glad you enjoyed the photos!!

      Delete
  43. Shoreline Drive and Ocean Drive sound like my kind of favorite 'green places'! I do love the ocean!
    Your photos are beautiful, as always, but they really scream "Spring" today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too, the ocean is so beautiful...even during the storms. But scary as heck when a predicted hurricane is coming our way.

      Delete
  44. My first thought when I saw the blossoms was of a cherry however on the closer picture I knew it wasn't. Love your bird pictures. Such pictures. I too would love a Red Skeleton clown picture however they really are very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew they'd be costly, but when I first saw the price...of just a print mind you, I was floored!

      Delete
  45. oh my gosh thank you for finding me so I could find you, what an amazing blog!!! I will love following along on your amazing adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed visiting Laurie!!!

      Delete
  46. Coming to your blog and seeing all the pictures makes me feel better. After reading number three I'm showing your blog to my Loverbrains. I say this every time I'm here don't I? Someday...I'm moving next door...we'll be great friends!! We're already Hodgepodge friends, right? HEhehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hodgepodge friends indeed!!!

      Delete
  47. I really enjoy your bird photo's and the accompanying information about them. Congratulations to yourson, Erik. I love Jeff Dunham as well. Walter is a real hoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walter is a good grumpy ol' man to be sure. LOL
      Thanks for the compliments and congrats to Erik!!

      Delete
  48. Gorgeous close ups Anni. Congratulations to your son:-)

    ReplyDelete
  49. Beautiful bird. I had never heard of a Golden Fronted woodpecker. Lovely. I think the blossom is a Pear or Ornamental Fruit. MB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ,,,only a bird found in south Texas.
      Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  50. Hi Annie, I found you from the Joyce's blog on hodgepodge. How funny that you and I both picked Jeff Dunham for our Comedian. I loved seeing him in person. congrats to your son and you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh, it's well worth the $ to go see him live!!!

      Delete
  51. WOW PHd! Congrats to your son! :) I have a few friends i grew up with have recently gotten their PhD's. I am not surprised though. I remember they've always been very intelligent.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Good for you in publishing your book. I, too, published an family history book and have been trying to finish my second book for the last seven years but have had health issues and my cousin sent me so many new photos of the family that it added 20 new pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Ruth. Genealogy can be a challenge, but oh the elation [and fun] to find something new.

      Delete
  53. Love your woodpecker shots!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Love the birds this week and I too love Jeff Dunham. Achmed is my favorite skit he does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Achmed with Guitar Guy is a hoot of a skit!!! Have you seen that?

      Delete
  55. I love the woodpecker!

    ReplyDelete
  56. What excellent photos of the woodpecker. Thank-you for your comments on my blog this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ,,,thank YOU for stopping by!

      Delete
  57. What lovely photos! We saw a Golden-fronted woodpecker when we were in the RG valley and they are so beautiful!
    I love you HodgePodge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Florence. Enjoy the Symphony.

      Delete
  58. Saw a what I think is a pair of doves.

    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...a pairing of Doves is a sure sign of Spring.

      Delete
  59. Very nice!!! I love when I find birds nesting....wonderful pics. Looks like spring has arrived for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seeing a few Spring migrants these days....it's exciting to anticipate this each year. Thanks Chris

      Delete
  60. So nice to see some spring time looking weather..Love it..I can't get a thumbnail from your blog so it won't be in the collage so you don't think I forgot...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that's okay. You can always do a screen shot to get an image.

      Delete
  61. I'm not sure what time of blossom that is, but the bee seems to be enjoying it. Love the woodpecker pics. I could watch them for hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Jen. I'm in awe of your birding blog!!!

      Delete

.