my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Rockin' Robin

Nature & Wild Birds

In Colorado, seen were hundreds of robins in the Spring. It was a sure sign that Springtime had arrived. They were everywhere. In the hot Sonoran Desert where Tucson is located and Bud and I first retired...a robin was never seen. Ever. But reading PDF articles from the University of Arizona, they were there, and at times found nesting around the areas of the mesquite, palo verde trees, the saguaro cactus and barren hills; Tucson Mountains. Now that we're here, enjoying the birding experiences of the Coastal Bend of Texas along the Gulf of Mexico, in the decade we've lived here, I've seen only ONE robin. 'Til just this past couple of weeks; luckily having the camera with me. LOL, who am I kidding? I have the camera with me 99% of the time I'm out. To continue, in all actuality it's not just a 'robin'...the correct term is American Robin. Same family, but highly different than those found in Europe. So to distinguish the species, birders use American Robin and European Robin. They both have colored breasts, but the American is quite a bit larger than the European, and the European has only a small area of rusty coloration as compared to the American Robin where the breast is nearly entirely rusty; rufous. As I stated this past Saturday, I heard the robin first...the song was so wonderful to hear once again!! It took me a while to spot it...but...




American Robins supposedly winter here in south Texas, not a breeding ground so to speak. So, if I saw 'em here, rest assured, those that live farther north on this continent...they're on their way toward you!! Spring is nearing for those that are still feeling the effect of winter snow!

read more...
Robins in Tucson AZ pdf article
Robins: A Passport to Texas

linking to: Nature Notes, Wild Bird Wednesday, Our World Tuesday



_*_*_

Hodgepodge



linking to: Wednesday Hodgepodge

1. What's the biggest change since your childhood in the way people think or act? The younger generation [and even some of the older generation] has become less and less respecting of one another!! And I really do hate that!!

2. The Olympic Biathlon involves cross country skiing broken up with either two or four rounds of target shooting. Which part of that would stress you out more? Or would you love them both equally? I am not one to watch Olympics, so, I doubt that I would even participate. I would say I would equally ignore all.

3. February is National Canned Food Month...what is your most often purchased canned food item? What was in the last can you opened? Most often I buy in the can, canned tomatoes. For pasta sauces, with other ingredients added in the blender before heating. The last can I opened? Guess!!! Fancy Feast. Ask Winston.

4. What river (anywhere in the world) would you most like to cruise? Cruise? Oh my. I would really have to do a double take on that idea. Let's see...hmmmm. Can't think of one for sure. Probably a riverboat on the Mississippi; tho I've done that long ago, I'd do it again.

5. It's the middle of the night and you can't sleep...what do you do? Count sheep? Toss and turn? Watch television? Or do you get up and do something productive? Most likely I'd just lay there, wide awake 'til it's time to get up for the day. At least by staying in bed, I'm getting some rest.

6. How important is keeping your cool? Important. Very important. Health-wise.

7. I've got white stuff on the brain so why not run with it? White lie, wave the white flag, white knuckle it, white wash a situation, or white as a sheet...which phrase could most recently apply to your own life in some way? That's a tough question Joyce!! Wow. I would like to say, "white wash the situation"...but that is often too difficult to do. I would still have to go with that: white wash. But then, after a while, when things settle down, it'd be "white flag". Oh, and let me guess...white stuff? Would that be SNOW? Here, it was 79 degrees yesterday at noon!!!

8. Insert your own random thought here. So, I got a question for you! Tell me, would you drive a little under 100 miles, one way, to see if you could spot and photograph a special reported bird that isn't even supposed to be found in your state?!! Let alone, most of the USA!! Yesterday, when I talked 'bout having no mojo....well, I didn't get any previously mentioned stuff done. Bud and I drove through part of the Wild Horse Desert [the desert; legendary for Wild Horses, the King Ranch, and Miffin Kenedy's family legacy...at one time filled with vaqueros, stagecoach robberies, and 'old west' history]. By the way, the Wild Horse Desert covers a vast area of South Texas. From the Rio Grande River at Old Mexico's border to the Nueces River up north. Reading my book on the legendary Kenedy family [just one "N"] and ranching, I was enthralled to see it in today's time then going back in history through my imagination. The day was perfect. Leaving home it was mild and sunny. The sky was blue for the most part...but eventually it became a white hot inferno. By the time we arrived back home by mid afternoon, it was nearing 80 degrees!! But, the Wild Horse Desert was beautiful!! As we drove to our destination in Brooks County Texas, I took myself back into history and envisioned wild horses, ranching, traveling hundreds of miles by coach from one ranch to another. My cowboy hat and boots became quite dusty from the desert winds kicked up from my horseback riding across the dry, thirsty, parched land. As the black vultures, soared silently overhead, I wore myself out rounding up stray cattle in the sage, cactus, and live oak throughout the vast desert, just to brand them and earmark them as mine!! Drawing water from one of the most prized areas, where water was scarce, was cool and refreshing.



We spent a couple hours there, until it was time to leave and return home. I was anxious to hop back 'on' my trusted steed and return to the desert lands of the Wild -Mustangs- Horse Desert before returning to the city by the bay! Oh, and by the way, the long drive was worth it!! We spotted the vagrant bird and I got photos to prove it. We were also treated with seeing other species of birds in this desert oasis.

linking to: Wednesday Hodgepodge

100 comments :

  1. Robins! Quite often they'll overwinter here (Indiana) but not this year, it's been far too harsh.
    Thanks so much for your kind comment on my blog. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...indeed, it has been harsh for y'all up north!!

      Delete
  2. You went right through my area here in the Wild Horse Desert! And yes, it was very warm mid afternoon yesterday. Come to think of it, I believe I saw some American robins around here not too long ago. Birds, birds galore lately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you Shelly!! Each and every time we travel your way.

      Delete
  3. We have seen a few robins in the past week!
    So happy you had a nice trip yesterday.
    I agree with your thoughts on lack of respect by children and some older folks. We experience that even here in our small subdivision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's so very difficult to walk away and say nothing to those who are so disrespectful.

      Delete
  4. So interesting! What a great post!

    And thank you so much for your kind words :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your wintry images Birgitta!!! And thanks for your compliment here today.

      Delete
  5. here i thought you were going to sing to me through a vlog. i was going to sing with ya. ( :

    AMEN to #1 ... do you think it has to do with cell phone? or the new must use medias that are so important these days. i have been in grocery lines where the person in on a cell or even the clerk does not even notice me checking out. so i make a huge point of say hello & thank you. i mean come on ... how hard is it to be nice & say bye?

    #3 we use a like of soup lately ... it is so cold & is a great way to warm up. a lot of DeCaf coffee at night too.

    #4 is the Mississippi still high enough for cruises? ha. ha!! too many barges.

    #5 i do that same ... don't want to wake the hubby. i know he needs his sleep.

    #6 i prefer being cold. over hot any day. i feel i can breathe better & feel more myself.

    #7 wow, you are having warm times. we are suppose to get more melting of our snow today. a change of 50 degrees or plus.

    #8 i would drive any where for a great view. we do that all the time when traveling. so fun!! we have seen so many great sights because we stuck to doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...so it would be driving for the view...but not a bird? Sometimes, I think Bud and I are a bit 'wacko' driving so far what with the price of gasoline per gallon...and then, there is the possibility of not SEEING the bird....but it was a glorious, beautiful day.

      Delete
  6. I love robins such friendly birds and considered a good omen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that...a good omen! Well, I'm comforted knowing now!

      Delete
  7. Robins used to bring spring here but in the past few years they seem to be showing up earlier and earlier. I saw quite a few of them last week and we are still in frigid temps and are expecting more snow. As happy as I am to see them I would prefer things to move at a more natural flow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...maybe that's why I SAW another one being that they've been unseen...times are changing in front of us and we don't notice. Now you've piqued my curiosity.

      Delete
  8. Anni since all the ice and snow I've been amazed at the number of Robins I'm seeing. Goodness me I think the cold winds messed up their GPS.

    Madi says to tell Winston to save her a morsel of Fancy Feast. She is partial to the Classic Seafood varieties
    hugs madi your bfff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...these furbabies of ours...I swear, they're treated better than us humans at times. LOL

      Delete
  9. I've seen a couple of local robins in the past week -- a good sign indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Superb captures!

    Welcome sign of Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely Robins! Our sweet birds, the Robins and Blue Birds are having a very difficult time of it, and yet the strong survivors should be coming about alive and perky soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's been a nasty winter in most areas this year.

      Delete
  12. Great shots of the robins. We have them year round in central NC but in the winter I don't see them as much because they stay up in the trees most of the time because there isn't much on the ground for them to scratch for during the winter and this winter the ground has stayed frozen for a fair amount of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, I did not know that much about the robins in NC

      Delete
  13. Number 3 has to be baked beans Anni and I'm making no apologu for that even though my better half thinks I should, if you get my meaning.

    Glad to hear Spring is on the way with the robins. The story is that when the early European settlers arrived in the US, one of the first birds they saw was a bird which reminded them of the Robin back home, so naturally enough they called it "robin" even though as you say the two species are completely different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rofl! Phil, you always make me giggle!! Beans, bean, the musical fruit....

      Delete
  14. I'll be looking for that first robin, Anni. They should be arriving any day now. Be sure to feed them well for me, okay? Glad you got that errant bird! And yes I would drive that far. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...that makes two of us then...well, three of us to be exact. I'm just glad it wasn't a wasted trip, and we were able to see the bird yesterday!!!! As for fattening up the robins..this one looked primed and ready to arrive in Washington shortly!!

      Delete
  15. How lovely to see robins - a first sign of spring. Although in winter, the robin stays on through the winter, I believe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they migrate as far as I know...
      http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/faq/master_folder/migration/document_view

      Delete
  16. sounds like a great and successful outing! :)

    i've seen and heard a few robins in the past 2 weeks - very few, but at least they're coming through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you're lucky...I rarely even HEAR them.

      Delete
  17. i have never seen a robin here....i would not drive 10 miles to take a picture of a bird... but i would drive that far to see that desert. i have never seen a desert and would love to..... and i am so happy to hear there is one other person besides me that doesn't watch the Olympics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...you want the birds to come to you...if at all, then, huh? Yep, I've never been really 'into' the Olympic frenzy.

      Delete
  18. Wonderful bird photos in the bush for OWT ~ thanks,

    artmusedog and carol
    www.acreativeharbor.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. great shots - you captured the birds beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It will be a while yet befor we hear or see robins! I usually have a couple of pair nest in my yard. Great shots Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your drive sounds wonderful. I can't wait to see a robin here because then I know that spring isn't too far off. Most of the time, I won't see just one but there will be a yard full of them. It's a welcome sight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...a yard full of robins!! Yes, that is an awesome sight...CO was that way also.

      Delete
  22. Oh yes:) We have Robins here in Tucson....on the outskirts near the Foothills areas. Not as common but always a cool bird to find out in the wild around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never ever saw one all the time we were living in Tucson. ;-(

      Delete
  23. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, yes we did, Denise!

      Delete
  24. You sure know a lot about birds. I know I like to see and hear them. As for as the can subject---cat food is always the can I'm opening most often. I wake up in the middle of the night often. Sometime do laundry, read, work crossword puzzles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and they both 'know' the sound and come running! ;-)

      Delete
  25. We see robins here occasionally during the winter, not all winter and not every winter. But that reminds me, we saw a group of 8 cattle egrets last week. I have never seen them here this early! And I bet they wished they had stayed put in South America for a while longer because it was in the 20's the night before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Ya, it's been a cold, odd, winter. You'd think the birds farther south than we are would know by instincts.

      Delete
  26. I am ready for Spring and the Robins too. I am surprised they have not arrived. Sometimes the Cedar Wax Wings come at the same time ... but glad to see them leave. Pretty, but messy.
    Glad your are enjoying your travels to capture the pretty birds.
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures ... thanks for the visit and nice comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhhhhh, the cedar waxwings are indeed pretty. I wouldn't know if they're messy or not 'cause when I see them, they're out in the wild.

      Delete
  27. Seeing the first Robin in spring is exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it is...just wish there were more of 'em...I love to hear them sing.

      Delete
  28. Great captures and I look forward to their cheery songs..but it will be a while before I see them in NY....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hopefully, sooner than you think.

      Delete
  29. I like those intimate close-ups of the bird. Especially when it nears the water. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thoughts on #1: I learned last night in our birding class that young people do not know how to read an analog clock. So if you say, "There's a bird at 3:00", they will have no idea where 3 o'clock is. That made me feel really old!

    I love robins; wish I saw more of them here. Wonderful shots, glad you had a nice trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh...we're raising a bunch of educated dummies!!!

      Delete
  31. I look forward to seeing Robins again.
    I would drive 100 miles one way for a picture if I had someone to go with me and we could make a day of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then, Ann, come on down...I'll take you birding and make a day of it. It's warm here!!!

      Delete
  32. We are always happy when we see robins here - hope they don't take too long to come back.
    I love that you got pictures of that elusive bird. What a fun trip!
    PS - you asked on my blog about all the cold and ice. I've lived in this area all my life (53 years) and I don't remember ever having this much ice on the lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mari...this is incredible!! I know I've told you my MIL was born and raised in Grand Haven...Bud doesn't remember it being like this since eons ago...in the 40s.

      Delete
  33. Anni, cute captures of your Robins! They are always a treat to see. I have driven over 100miles to see my first Snowy owl.. The trip to see the wild horses sounds like fun too. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, me too...for a snowy owl...any day!!!

      Delete
  34. Funny that you just posted lovely robin photos. I just saw one - not too surprising, though down here. Just opened a BumbleBee Tuna can, after putting my horse away - that was a fun ride through the desert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know you had some fun horseback riding!! Now, sit a spell...relax those sore muscles and enjoy the tuna!!! [yum]

      Delete
  35. If I was doing the driving, I might do the 100, wouldn't want to be in the car with someone else doing the driving.

    I don't know why, but robins seems to stay where my daughter lives in Indy all year...we lived almost directly west of her about 80 miles, and they don't stay here. I don't know why.

    We raised a robin once...one got blown out of a neighbor's nest and they knew how our girls were with animals, so here they came. It was quite expensive to feed...a 1 1/2 dozen night crawlers per day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...maybe expensive, but my thought as I picture while reading your comment would be 'messy'. LOL

      Delete
  36. I haven't seen any robins here yet, Annie, so Spring must still be far away, even if the temperatures were mild in the 60's this week! I have seen quite a few magpies and crows this winter--they don't seem to migrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh I miss the magpies in Colorado!!

      Delete
  37. Robins are such a welcome sight. They arrive very early where we live and herald the coming spring. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, Margy, I'm looking forward to Spring...seems tho, now that the cold snap has disappeared here, Summer has arrived.

      Delete
  38. HI Anni I love to see your Robins although they are so different from ours but if you want to see our little Robin, look at my post today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the European Robins are quite different and a lot smaller than the American Robins.

      Delete
  39. I loved reading your answers to The Hodgepodge, especially your 'desert bird watching adventure'! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...did you hop on a horse with me as we traversed the desert landscape?!!! Glad you enjoyed it Kathy.

      Delete
  40. I'm pretty much always up for a road trip : ) Enjoy your warm temps...we've got freezing rain in the forecast, but this winter I'm just embracing the weather drama and loving the beauty of big snows. The freezing rain could give us a miss, and it wouldn't break my heart, but I do love the white stuff on the bare branches. My cardinal is here every day, reminding me spring is out there somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...on the road trip? Me too Joyce. I was secretly thinking we were crazy to try and follow a bird spotting tho...but it was a good thing. Saw a bird I'll probably never see again. Yes, wet snow IS pretty when it comes to clinging to trees...makes a beautiful landscape. At least from the window view. [insert wink]

      Delete
  41. I wish the robins were back in Canada. We are so looking forward to their arrival. At the moment they would stand out against the white, white snow.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I completely agree with your answer to #1...and I hate it, too. Oh, absolutely, I would have driven 100 miles for the chance of spotting that bird! Sounds like your trip was well worth the adventure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, you'll have to stop by sometime in the future to see the bird I photographed!! I'll keep you posted.

      Delete
  43. I knew the Robins had to be somewhere. They are usually back by now but I've yet to see one....smart birds since we're buried in snow. Your day in #8 sounds absolutely wonderful and yes, I would drive 100 miles for something so "small."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you and me both, and the trip was fruitful.
      Yep, the robins are headed north soon, I'm sure of it.

      Delete
  44. This is good news, Anni! They are on their way, aren'ty they? I'm tired of snow. Feeling the warmth of the sun, at least.
    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can empathize with you and all the snow...I remember those days. Glad I moved south.

      Delete
  45. I am looking forward to seeing the Robins again. Great post Anni and a long drive is always worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was a nice drive...only one area under construction on the highway and it was only about 5 miles. [I dislike road construction] LOL

      Delete
  46. Loved the robin. I have been enjoying them around my house. Yes, I would drive 100 miles for a picture....bird, barn, church, cemetary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...a cemetery would be a great place for photos!!! That I agree.

      Delete
  47. Great Robin photos! They arrived this week here in Connecticut, so it means Spring is right around the corner for us. For me, they are always the first sign of Spring, and boy, can we use it after this Winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I bet you're ready for spring up there!! Thanks Anne

      Delete
  48. The Cardinals are singing here beautifully, signalling the coming of spring. Though if you look around, you will think we are in the middle or Arctic or Antarctic :-). I am waiting for the arrival of the robins as that will be the sure sign of spring. Does swallow look like Robins, do you know?

    Yes, we will drive 100 miles or more to see nature, birds, wild-lives. We did it last summer -- drove more than 3000+ miles just going around in AZ, CO, Nevada, California and Utah :-). The heat blast in Death Valley was an unique experience :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...Death Valley is aptly named to be sure.

      Delete
  49. I too, find that the younger generation is less respectful of one another and it really irks me.
    Love the robin captures, Ann!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ,,,yep, and it's sad to know and see this with our younger ones.

      Thanks Veronica.

      Delete

.