my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


The Unknown Title...




Thanks to Stewart for hosting WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY
and with hostess Lady Fi at Our World Tuesday
sidebar linkings


Panoramic views of Oso Bay [mouseover captions] --





**--**--**


Thanks to Joyce for hosting HODGEPODGE
sidebar linking

1. It was decided on Sunday the Denver Broncos will meet the Seattle Seahawks in this year's Superbowl. So when was the last time you bowled? Not where you thought this question was going is it? Do you like to bowl? Are you any good? I love to bowl. Let me rephrase that...I used  to love to bowl. And it's been eons. Was I any good? Just so so. Never bowled a perfect score, but many times in the 260 range.  Other times, I was doing good to break 190!

2. Should sports stars be role models? With all the many different scandals these past decades? No. But there ARE some good ones out there. It's the bad rep that gets me to say no for the majority.

3. January is National Oatmeal month...are you a fan? How do you like your oats? To quote Sesame Street's cookie monster....COOKIES!!!

4. What is one book on your reading list for 2014? When I finish PETRA'S LEGACY, I'm not much of a romance reader, but I found an older published [2009] novel at Half Price Books with the title "Gifts of War" written by Mackenzie Ford. Here is part of the inside dust cover flap:
    Against the broader landscape of England in wartime, Gifts of War captures the era and the fates of men and women caught in the sweep of history. A vivid tale of romance, adventure, and intrigue...
Online, doing a search for the publishing date since there is no copyright page in the front of the book, just the title pages and publishing page with no year on it ---anyway, the site I found had a review page with the reviews of 4-5 stars for the most part...with high praise from other readers.

5. What would you like your future self to say to your present self? "I'm glad you remained happy all these years."

6. When scrolling through the TV guide, what is one movie title that makes you want to stop, grab the popcorn, and watch for a while? We have had no cable TV for nearly two years now, so we don't make use of TV Guide. I'm lovin' it.  But I LOVE popcorn and Jr. Mints and popping in a DVD for a movie.

7. What are two style trends you hope never come back into fashion? First I'm gonna go with 'styles' and it'd definitely be the BEE HIVE hair-do! Oh my goodness!! Sometimes ones of the softer gender would have enough hair spray in their bee hives to straighten and hold up the Leaning Tower of Pisa to make it perpendicular!!! And then fashion trends? --- the wearing of under garments on the OUTSIDE that was "En Vogue" made popular by Madonna. [talk about role models?!!]

8. Insert your own random thought here. I had to look up the origin of the ship that I photographed with the dolphins [photo on previous blog post found here]. The ship, King Duncan, is from The Marshall Islands, Majuro was on the stern. That prompted me to check out the islands' history. Finding out, weather-wise, for me, it's now considered paradise!! Tropical islands, in the Pacific Ocean, turquoise waters, white sand beaches, Christian inhabitants, American with the currency the American dollar,....and did I say weather? For 12 months out of the year...lows in the mid 70s highs in the 80s. And not as much rain as I'd expect. The wettest month? Averaging 13 inches. Awwwwwwww, a piece of dreamland after this frosty cold winter we're having. Here in coastal Texas we have another Arctic Blast headin' our way with lows in the freezing mark and highs in the mid 40s!! On second thought, I'll stay right here for now...the Marshall Islands was a testing ground for nuclear weapons...there just has to be some residue in the ground!!!

photo of island courtesy of Google Image Search

76 comments :

  1. Morning Anni....as always your pictures are so pretty...I feel like I'm right there with you. I love oatmeal with Brummel and Brown margarine (B&B is the best made with yogurt) and a little sugar.
    Queen of Hearts is keeping me busy. But I think the most work is over. Anyway we hope your day is good. Cold weather and snow heading our way.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi right back atcha M&M!! Snow? Oh dear...keep warm!

      Delete
  2. i am with you on the bee hive hair and the big hair from the 60's... i was so glad when the teased look went away. i wore that bee hive and slept with toilet paper wrapped around it for many years. yikes.
    I love movies and love TV and would be lost without it.
    bring on the oatmeal cookies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...got milk to go with those cookies? I thought I'd miss TV too, but not in the least. I'm very happy without it blaring all day long.

      Delete
  3. I had a Quaker oatmeal granola bar with chocolate chips for breakfast today! I seldom watch movies but I do enjoy home and gardening and cooking shows. Glad you have some reading since your weather will be cold. Have a great day! Mildred

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmmm, my choice in the morning is Oatmeal Almond...it's Nature Valley tho. ;-)

      Delete
  4. I can't imagine going to the shore and seeing that many birds! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh, trust me, this is only a mere pittance of what is all there some times.

      Delete
  5. I'm with you on number 5, especially. Great words. And as for the styles? Anything Madonna-ish should be banned. Forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually liked some of her songs...but didn't care for her at all. But thinking about her and comparing her to some of the songsters of today, she's a bit tame.

      Delete
  6. We answered #3 the same! LOL You'll have to wait until tomorrow, though, when my Hodgepodge posts. Interesting tidbit about the boat and its origin - thanks for looking it up and posting more about it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to stop by and read your answers tomorrow of course!!!

      Delete
  7. Amazing number of birds there at your shore..Are some of them Black Skimmers? A fun sighting for sure, great shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, Eileen...if you move your mouse over the images...there are skimmers.

      Delete
  8. That's a lot of birds!!!
    Sports models - role models - only a very FEW!
    My high school English teacher wore a Bee-Hive in the 70's. She remained a single woman all her life. All these years later she still has the same hair do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...in regards to the sports role models...you and I think alike!

      Delete
  9. Bunches of shore birds ... they look like women in a department store sale. Hope they find what they are looking for.

    And, Oh yes, The Beehive hairdo. I just ran across and old picture of my friends and our husbands at a private wedding ... I don't know how we didn't topple over with all that weight on top of our heads. I agree ... glad it was only a pasing fancy:)

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...lol...in fact now that you mention it, they 'fight' over the bargain basement sale items ...just LIKE women.

      Delete
  10. So many birds, great contribution to WBW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful to see so many birds! We were talking about the enormous glasses and shoulders today at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...those huge glasses that covered most of the fact, you got that right. And shoulder pad...yep. Good addition to fads/fashion.

      Delete
  12. As for style trends - can I ever imagine being able to actually WALK in those high HIGHER shoes? Never, and heavy eye makeup is for halloween. I enjoyed reading the history information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever worn really stiletto heels. I'd fall down and break my neck. Heavy eye make up...indeed. Two great choices.

      Delete
  13. so many in one hit; beautiful to see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad knowing you enjoyed this Carole.

      Delete
  14. I used to bowl on a league years ago. I wasn't great but I wasn't the worst bowler either.
    As for the oatmeal, I like it but not as a hot cereal. Give it to me in a cookie or bread or any kind of dessert and I love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then, I could probably never get ahead of you in bowling!! Oh ya, oatmeal in bread is good too.

      Delete
  15. I'm with you about the Bee Hive. I'm guilty as sin. So much hair spray it stayed up from one week to the next. Sounds dirty now but most women did it. Remember the rumor that went around about a Black Widow spider living in one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...now, that's funny. Yep, would never go back to using hair spray...ever.

      Delete
  16. love the pics :) thanks for sharing Always makes me smile to bring back the memories of CORPUS and surrounding areas, sure wish I would have had a better camera when we lived there. I have tons of pictures just didn't have a good camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...come to visit and enjoy the area again soon

      Delete
  17. Hi There, Congrats again to our Broncos and PEYTON. Did you hear about Seattle's corner, Shermon, going on a rant after the game? GADS--bet there are even more Broncos fans after that ourburst!!!!

    Will eat Oatmeal ---but seldom do. I'm a yogurt and fruit breakfast eater!!!

    I hope the leisure suit NEVER comes back... ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't hear anything about the Seahawks outburst. I think it comes along with the territory...in other words...there is always something like that reported!! No matter what team.

      Delete
  18. I loved seeing all of the shore birds. Beautiful! And it was fun reading your Hodgepodge. I'm with you on the beehive...yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a lovely view with all those birds!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your paradise island sounds wonderful especially since the deep freeze is even colder in Canada. We even have a windchill factor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...there is a chill factor here also...so, it'll be mighty cold when that same front hits us. Hopefully it won't be as bad as up north.

      Delete
  21. The second round of the Polar Vortex is affecting us here in GA., too. I think the lows this morning are hovering around 11 degrees, but I haven't looked yet. Almost afraid to take a peek! I'm SO ready for spring...and I'd love to sail away to the islands you mentioned, if only for a little while! My mom had a beehive hairdo. I still remember going with her to the hair salon. They'd tease it up high and put about a gallon of hair spray on it. She'd sleep with it wrapped in a head scarf so as not to mess her 'do' up. I think the chances of that happening were slim to nothing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, those bee hive hair do's were something else! I don't think I'll ever use hair spray again after that generation style!! Do try and stay warm...it's gonna be another cold one. So strange down here.

      Delete
  22. Undergarments on the outside would make my list too. A trip to the tropics would be nice right about now. We have about 10 inches of snow on the ground, it is 1 degree, and they say wind gusts will be close to 40mph this morning. Good day to tackle cleaning out the office at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...with wind like that, the chill factor just has to be darned cold!!

      Delete
  23. LOL! Beehive Hair doos - too funny! Well I for one wouldn't mind 80's hair coming back. The bigger the hair, the smaller the hips look right? Haha! There are so many movies that can make me stop in my tracks, grab the popcorn and sit down and start watching. No wonder I have so many dust bunnies. ;)
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda look at it this way...the dust bunnies will be there another day!

      Delete
  24. Replies
    1. ...oh, but I think your #5 was excellent way of stating the answer too.

      Delete
  25. Yep, now know all about you! We bowl a lot in the summer. If I get to 140 I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...like I said tho, it's been eons since I've actually bowled a round...far too long, and my score would probably reflect that.

      Delete
  26. Can remember the beehive hair-Oh My! Love #5 and as always great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great answer to the 'oatmeal question', that's how I like mine best, too :)
    I'd forgotten about 'the bee hive'... Those were the days! Mama had a 'french twist', and wrapped her hair in toilet paper to keep it from getting messed up. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh yes, I remember the french twist too. Better than a bee hive by far.

      Delete
  28. The Marshall Islands sound like paradise. With -7 here this morning even your freezing mark temperatures sound good. :)

    Never even thought of it...oatmeal cookies was a great answer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...ewwwww, minus seven is NOT good.

      Delete
  29. Bummer that they used that beautiful place for nuclear testing. Beehive: LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...I was really dreaming of a tropical paradise 'til I read about the testing they did on the islands.

      Delete
  30. AMEN to the Beehive....:))
    Have a good week, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ,,,and same to you dear bj!!!

      Delete
  31. Wish I could come visit...40 sounds wonderful. It was -1 when I put my Sweet Boobahs on the bus this morning. Brrrr! Love the pics of the shorebirds. One of these days I'm going to convince my husband to take an Engineering job in TX!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...trust me Bobbi...it's COLD here at 40 'cause of the humidity.

      Delete
  32. A fine, varied post that is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and always a bit too gabby. I'm sure

      Delete
  33. WOW!!! Such magnificent birds!
    Love your answer to #3.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I also used to love to bowl but not so much anymore after dropping a ball on my foot. I never went back after that. The toe was fine just the nail turned blue and eventually came off.
    It is hard to trust the athletes these days, but if the guy plays hard and doesn't whine about anything i'm fine with that. Hopefully no illegal drugs! ugh we pay so much to go to a game and someones drugging its not fair to any of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the price of being a fan in all sports is outrageous...so, what you say is good...but it's the 'being a good upstanding citizen of the world' is what it should be all about when it comes to athletes. Somewhere between becoming a pro and $$$ things go haywire.

      Delete
  35. Loved those birds and oatmeal cookies are my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...by what you posted for your answer...oatmeal is a favorite, no matter how it's prepared. It's very healthy food, so ..... good for you!!

      Delete
  36. It was reading your thoughts though I could not get the idea on styles/fashion as I don't know much about those.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I have not had an oatmeal cookie in a really long time.

    ReplyDelete

.