“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





A Sunday Stroll down Memory Lane...

A few days ago, while visiting with Mildred at Blackberry Lane, and one of her recent posts was titled POOCH PORCH. I read it in all its detail with great interest and got the idea to go out through the new Google Maps in beta and check out some of the areas of my history. I first went out to search for my "Nebraska Home". Altho, I didn't find the house my parents lived in when I was born, 'cause I didn't have any address other than the rural town in Nebraska.   Nor could I find my maternal grandparents' farm in an area close to another  rural community outside Lincoln.  Relatives that would know to help me with addresses are all now deceased.  And my sister wasn't home to answer the phone so I could ask her if she remembered the street. Alas. But, trust me, I could drive to the grandparents' farm and my parents' home in the adjoining small community in my sleep!!  So, I did the next best thing.  I began my journey of reminiscing, taking me to Lincoln, Nebraska. Now in Lincoln, I started Kindergarten. So sometime after my birth and the first day of school for me, mom and dad moved to the city. I found my home in Lincoln [first photo]...


Then, I took one more step and clicked back to the search bar and typed in my school. It was just blocks away from the house shown above. And I walked. Even crossing a very busy street to get there. At the ripe ol' age of 5!!! {my folks wouldn't allow me to do that in today's times if I were young again.}...


...my father's sister, my aunt Mary, also lived in Lincoln. And I had to do a search for her home too. She had three boys, my cousins, Jim, Jerry and Carl. In this house, there are some very good memories!! I used to spend a lot of time at Aunt Mary's. A lot of times, by myself with her...she always said to me that I was her 'adopted daughter' since she had no girls of her own. Mary also had twin boys that died in infancy. My uncle, Mary's husband, was a World War II veteran who was wounded over the English Channel...he was a 'belly gunner' in a B-17. The plane, shot down over the channel, was near Norwich England at the time. Eventually, he died of his wounds, but not before I got to know him well; tho he was a quiet Southern gentleman from Louisiana. I can still hear him speak with his drawl and easy way of things. When I'd stay there for days, and sleep overs, my room was in the upstairs area...the window to the left!! I can also remember what a good cook she was...and learned a lot from her in my older, teen years when we'd go back to Nebraska from Colorado, visiting with them all. Ohhhhhhhhh, what a glorious time. There was always laughter to be heard, the wonderful aromas from the kitchen, day and night, and the yard was filled with the sweet scent of roses, and in my mind's eye today,  I can still see the filled feeders for the Cardinals and Blue Jays in the back yard!!

My father's work ethics and reputation of doing better than most was noted. Even far away from Nebraska, into Colorado. A large company in Colorado contacted my father and gave him an incentive that he couldn't refuse, both financially, a temporary home available to reside before my parents could find and purchase a home of their own... and the proximity of the Colorado Rocky Mountains that by the time summer came along of my first year attending school, we packed everything we owned and played the nomads!! We relocated to Colorful Colorado!! The state, at the time, was famous in our family for the crisp cool nights...even in the summer!! Getting away from the high heat and insufferable summer humidity 'cause Lincoln is so near many tributary rivers and the large Platte River. In September of 1956, beginning grade one for me, we moved into this home seen here. Not long after living here until just after Christmas our first year in Colorado, we began our living properly, in the foothills. Lived there for decades. The house, I tried to do a Google Map Search and found only pine trees and a long driveway obscuring the view. So, gave up on that one.

Eventually, with time, I grew up, graduated, married; Bud and I had a house built for us after our two kids were born. Lived in the same town as where my parents lived since 1956, until Bud and I decided we had enough of the cold, long, snowy winters that lasted 6 months or better out of the year and retired to Arizona. The white hot skies of summer...no, year 'round!! became a bore. We both wanted a coastal community with the salt air and sea breezes that lull us into a tranquil state of mind, and a mild temperate change of seasons instead of the hot or hotter seasons of AZ. You know just what I mean, right? The sound of the surf, the salt air, the never ending beaches, and a locality that is close enough from the beach to not have the full brunt of the water surge in case of a hurricane hitting [fingers crossed]. For me, it's been a blissful time here. Not as culturally 'sound' as the state of Colorado...not much to do for seniors like Arizona [a retiree state] --- but the pluses outweigh the negatives in both Colorado and Arizona. Texas is a GRAND state to live in...they treat you right here!! As the saying goes: "I wasn't born here, but I got here as quickly as I could."




PS...now that both Bud and I have become avid bird watchers, the coastal area we live in is a haven for birding!! This area is known world-wide for its species of migrating bird paths where they tend to 'stop over' on their Spring or Winter migrations! Also take note....this week at "I'd Rather B Birdin'" [my bird photo blog] has our experience of viewing American's tallest land bird in the wild....WHOOPING CRANES. I provide a link at the top of my blog posts for each week's photo presentation...this week, the cranes!!



42 comments :

  1. Warm Greetings from the cold Warsaw. Have a look at the new photo album.
    http://marciento.wordpress.com/2014/01/07/virtual-exhibition-of-photography/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...a warm hello to you in Warsaw, Marko.

      Delete
  2. Anni, nice post! I enjoyed reading about your life history. You ended up in a fabulous place for birding..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...I think that is why we both are 'hooked on birding'!! Thanks Eillen.

      Delete
  3. i like the first and 3rd house, those are the homes from the past that i love... and i love to play with google and drive up and down the streets looking for things from the past. i have even visited London and Paris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...my next stop? Germany!! LOL

      Delete
  4. Good Morning-
    I enjoyed reading about your family history over my coffee this morning.
    Hasn't this Texas weather been different this year?
    Wow!
    I am getting geared up for my spring planting.

    Laura
    White Spray Paint blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I will take different Texas weather over the New England and western parts of USA any ol' time. At least in the winter. Nice to have you visit laura.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed this post! It's so interesting looking back at those homes. I tried to do this after Mildred posted her pictures, but I couldn't get anything to pop up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...perhaps clearing your cache may help. Or do you mean that the address you typed in just didn't have anything?!! Try, try, try again.

      Delete
  6. Isn't it just a little scary at how much is available on the internet? Although I did love to see all those old places where you once lived. I loved Colorado but love the Pacific Northwest even more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just what you mean...Colorado is a great state, but these days and times of our lives, just to visit.

      Delete
  7. I have thoroughly enjoyed this post today! I love reading about the different places you have lived and I especially love Aunt Mary's home and the sweet memories you have of her. I hope you have a lovely Sunday! Mildred

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...don't tell anyone, but she was my favorite Aunt. :-)

      Delete
  8. I, too, have learned that returning to the past and its experiences is pleasant. Not everyone has nice memories and we are fortunate. My first child was born in 1956, the year you started grade one at age 5. I had just turned 20. Like you, I love where I live now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I must say, you [and your husband] both don't look your age. You must be living right.

      Delete
  9. What a good idea! I'll have to give that a try myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was quite fun actually.

      Delete
  10. That was such an enjoyable post, Anni! It was really interesting to read about the different places you have lived in. Love the pics too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Veronica...I can't take credit for the photos tho, they're all from Google's satellite.

      Delete
  11. I love hearing about different places, especially places I've never been. I have been to Colorado (loved it) but Nebraska, Arizona and Texas are all new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they all have their good points I guess, but my home state...like Sheldon on the Big Bang Theory...he crosses Nebraska off the map. LOL

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed hearing about the homes you lived in and the areas you lived in and your Texas home. I will take a look at your whooping cranes photos; years ago I wrote a feature article on them for Florida Monthly magazine. I found how they follow ultralight planes learning to migrate to be fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've seen videos of these planes and the cranes. Awesome.

      Delete
  13. Dear Anni, It is nice getting to know you through the walk you took your readers through.
    So much of who we are is where we came from.
    Have a nice Sunday. Blessings, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed this post down memory lane Catherine.

      Delete
  14. This is fun, Anni. I liked following you from state to state. It's interesting how and why people choose a place after retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed the 'trip' Barb.

      Delete
  15. PS Are you watching the game with your painted toes crossed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Bud and I went to a sports bar and watched the game!! Yippee!!!!

      Delete
  16. I have moved and lived in so many different places in my life. It's hard to consider any place as 'going home'. It sometimes makes me sad.
    Wishing you a most wonderful week!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hope you have a great week too, Catherine.

      Delete
  17. What a great post and fun reminiscing with you. Growing up I only lived in 2 different houses and the one where I lived in the longest was sold when my father's health didn't allow him to live alone any more. I sure miss that place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...I wish I had found my grandparents' farmhouse...it was three stories and oh so beautiful!!!

      Delete
  18. I love Aunt Mary's front porch!! Thank you for sharing some of your history with us! I am blessed to have photos of all the homes I lived in as a child, but it would be interesting to do a Google search and see how those houses look now (or maybe depressing...). Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have several photos, but not that I can copy or scan. So Google it was, for me. Thanks Terri.

      Delete
  19. Isn't going down Memory Lane just so much fun???? I know you enjoyed it. I love Google maps... They certainly bring our memories 'closer' to us....

    Bet you LOVED that GAME today.... I certainly did.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did enjoy the game...a lot!! ;-)

      Delete
  20. I love looking at your past - love how your shared your history. I liked the first house. And the second with the roundish deck. And your home is gorgeous too. And yes I couldn't wait to get south either.

    sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living in the south has a lot of pluses to be sure!!! Thanks Sandie

      Delete
  21. I love, love, love this post. I so enjoy reading people's memories, and of course, I LOVE what you said about my part of Texas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and what I said, is so very true!!! I 'heart' Texas. ;o)

      Delete

.