my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Introducing...Rocky...and adios amigo!

'Long 'bout midday, at a nearby county park, Bud and I were out of the car, and I was trying to take a photo of a group of swallows that were perched on a power line. The wind was blowing a gale, and the camera was swaying in my hand. Nearby where we had parked the car along the riverbank, a couple of youngsters and their grandfather [I am surmising] parked their truck just a few feet away from us. The grandfather and the kids got out of their vehicle and we overheard them:

"Get way to the back I'm tellin ya", he warned the kids as he too climbed into the box of the pickup.
The girl, probably about the age of 8 or 9 whined back, "It isn't going to be hurt is it?"
"Nah, but if you don't stay alert, YOU may just be hurt" grandpa warned again...

By that time my curiosity was piqued and I glanced over to see what was happening.

The older man, with a white long beard and blue jeans cut off shorts lifted what looked like a wire cage. Then, I heard a ruckus and hissing...the man carried the now visible cage to the ground, as he was nearly bit by the creature!! He finagled the cage opening toward the river bank. Don't worry, he wasn't going to drown the creature...it was about 10-15 feet from the river's edge. I watched a bit, then told myself and Bud "We'd better get into our own car, just in case this feisty little one deems it necessary to attack something!!"

Bud and I got in, I aimed the camera and 'filmed' the procedure through an open window, all the while grandpa decided to put the cage back in the truck bed and tilt it off the tail gate a bit to encourage the release.


The conversation between Grandpa and Critter goes a bit like this:

"Okay dahling, you'll soon be free!"


Rocky hisses:  "I'm not sure I wanna be free...just once, let me bite you!" "The wrist is quite thin and vulnerable right now."


"You can do this sweet thang" grandpa coaxes..."just turn around, and jump!"


After a few more hisses and growling, Grandpa says "Get out, you bast.rd."
Rocky, the coon says: "Nope, nope, nope, I'm not gonna do it...just one little bite, please? Step any closer and your groin area is mine!"


"No? Okay, I'll turn around, but I'm not gonna be all too pleased...the open country isn't all it's cracked up to be!!  Or is it?"

By now the kids, in the back of the truck bed are chanting "Jump, jump, jump!"

"I'm doing this under protest!" He jumps out.......



"Free at last, thank god almighty I'm free at last!" As he runs off into the tall grasses and low lying shrubery, the youngins in the truck are cheering with joy...



I love a happy ending!!!

64 comments :

  1. What a cool happening, and even better that you were there to see it! And very good stealth pictures as well! I guess what with all the people, he was just afraid to come out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and not to mention a cage and a bumpy ride in the back of a truck!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE happy endings!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were in the right place at the right time! Glad that Rocky is free now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was good to see such a good samaritan act.

      Delete
  4. My parents have a few "tails" involving have a heart traps.... mostly skunks and all with a story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ohhhhhhhhh, I bet those are good 'tails'!! Involving skunks and all.

      Delete
  5. Oh, that coon looks mad. I'm glad it turned out all right, since there definitely was the possibility of injury, from either side! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...first sign of fear on an animal is the whites of the eyes and pinned down ears!!

      Delete
  6. Oh, what an event to witness, and I loved your narration of it! At first, I thought it might be a snake, but a raccoon is much nicer.

    I wonder if it was one they had raised or just happened to trap in their yard. We have several HUGE ones that come up into the back yard at night to try and eat cat food. They aren't afraid of humans one bit and I wouldn't want to get too close to that hissing mouth~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as far as I can recall, we've had one and only one in our yard here in the city. The 'wild' ones here are more opossums. I wouldn't think it was 'tamed' because of its stance throughout the whole spiel.

      Delete
  7. Wow, Rocky didn't want to leave the cage. That looked scary to me and then there is always the worry of rabies. Glad there was a happy ending and no one was bit. Great series of photos, Anni! Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...ya, Eileen, that was one of my thoughts also and why I said to Bud we should get into the safety of our car...behind closed doors!!!

      Delete
  8. Freedom! Glad he decided not to bite anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too....there is always the 'danger' or concern of rabies.

      Delete
  9. yeah, from sweetie to bastard in a few moments! sounds about right! glad it was freed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly....that IS the way it is!!

      Delete
  10. Fun story. An exciting day for all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed the post today!

      Delete
  11. Great story telling and pictures to boot! I have raised several orphan coons in the past and they are a lot of fun until they grow into adults. Wish I could share my photos here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nookworm: I can't seem to find any link through your comment for your blog? Can you help me out and direct me to where you post?

      Delete
    2. I log in to my blog with an address that is not a Google one. I'm not sure if that's the reason. I'm not too savvy about blogging.

      This is my blog address:
      http://nookworm-connectionsmore.blogspot.com/

      Delete
    3. Ohhhhhhhh, thank you! I'm on my way to pay you a visit.

      Delete
  12. I also love happy endings. No one was hurt and the coon may enjoy freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...when it comes to happy endings, I love that animals are treated with respect and shown that humans care.

      Delete
  13. I hope it will be allright out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so glad they released it instead of killing it. We love to watch the raccoon babies go up and down the trees on our back property. I have a picture of a raccoon resting in the cool water of our birdbath on a hot afternoon. So funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I bet that photo is really cute!

      Delete
  15. Great post and indeed a Happy Ending ~ Great shots for CC ~ Happy Weekend to you ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...have a great weekend wish to you too Carol

      Delete
  16. I love a good raccoon story! And grandpas with black shoes and white socks.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....I like your observation!!

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. hope it's okay!! Being free and all.

      Delete
  18. WOOHOO GRANDPA TEACHING THE YOUNG ONES TO LOVE AND PROTECT EACH AND EVERY CREATURE!!! GREAT PHOTOS
    HUGS MADI AND MOM

    ReplyDelete
  19. They are so dang cute, glad he is free and happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....cute....yes....up to a point!! They can terrorize a yard in no time.

      Delete
  20. That was quite the show you got to see Anni.
    Looks like grandpa wanted Rocky off his property. Of course if the mate and little ones are still at his place he might have some more catching to do. I don't know how it is in TX but here in WA relocating a wild animal, like Rocky, would get you into all kinds of trouble with Fish & Game, it's illegal.

    As someone who releases feral cats back to their homes after surgery I can say there are ways to make this safer. A towel or covering over the trap tends to calm any animal. I did trap a possum one time instead of a cat but it left the trap peacefully. The critter I'm always afraid I'll trap is a skunk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt whether it's illegal...relocating them in the area this family did makes more sense than poisoning them as I imagine some do.

      Delete
  21. Great series and story. I'm glad Rocky is free and no one was injured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...me too, it was quite a show.

      Delete
  22. Anni, great little skit and nice shots to go with it! How great that Grampa showed the kids the catch and release versus poison or some other nasty method of getting rid of the 'coon! You were in the right place at the right time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad to know that it was released, and that the kids and Grandpa didn't get bitten - rabies is always in the back of my mind.

      Delete
  23. Cute story and I'm happy everyone is safe. Sure do like your owl header. I have a large calendar here by my desk with a different owl for every month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...my mil had a small owl collection. I always think of her.

      Delete
  24. lol....that is hilarious! Thanks for taping it and sharing it with us!!! And the commentary that went along was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was fun to publish too.

      Delete
  25. What a great story and captures! I'm so happy Rocky is free to roam around again! Also glad that Grandpa didn't get his wrist (or worse) bitten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol....that 'coon was so traumatized I'm surprised he DIDN'T get bitten.

      Delete
  26. He's adorable! I can understand that he was a bit grumpy at first, but I'm sure he will enjoy his new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...let's just hope he did okay after being released back into the wild.

      Delete
  27. I loved this! So glad Rocky is free. You tell a great tale, and the accompanying pictures were wonderful, especially the final shot of Rocky hitting the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed it Janice.

      Delete
  28. hahhaaa....what a great set of photos. You rock, Anni....
    Wonder how they caught him in the first place...??
    I would have known it was an OLDEN man, just by seeing those tall, white sox. hahhaa....maybe someone will give him some no-show sox in his Christmas stocking (Mr. Sweet is getting some, for sure)
    Great post, dear lady....
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...now, that never crossed my mind 'til you mentioned it. Ya, wondering myself now how it was trapped in the first place.

      Delete
  29. Wow! That grandfather had both a kind and a brave heart! Glad it worked out for all involved.
    Have a great week!
    :-)
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine, he was/is an all-around good guy.

      Delete
  30. I love happy endings too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...sounds to me, YOUR weekend had a happy ending too. Just don't get sick.

      Delete

.