my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


'Round the 'hood

Today, just an eclectic mixture of images I'm sharin'.
From here in town to the outskirts of this area:

If you follow me on my birding photo blog a bit, you may have well noticed I mentioned a favorite area where Bud and I go birding a lot! This particular area is Leonabelle Turnbull Wildlife Refuge. These images were taken from atop the observation tower showing you the several ponds and tall reeds. A huge amount of water fowl can be spotted here year 'round. And alligators. Spring migration [the grassy, park area before you get to the boardwalk is highly populated with warblers, finches, rails, orioles, owls, etc.

The city's freshwater lakes, small and large, are well populated with a few turtle species.

This image was taken just a couple weeks ago over on the Gulf Bay near Port Aransas and the beginning of the Corpus Christi Ship Channel which flows from the Gulf, through Aransas Pass/Port Aransas, Ingleside and on into the Port of Corpus Christi and the North Bay in town.

When I see this, I am always reminded of the song...The White Cliffs of Dover. Of course this is NOTHING like the one in Europe...to be sure, but I AM reminded and usually hum the song in my head as I walk along the ship's channel.

This heavily wooded/shaded area of a birding path in town was all abloom with this plant variety. The name eludes me right now, but in amongst the dappled shadows of the high trees as I crossed the little foot bridge...I thought it was pretty!

A river runs through it....this is part of Hazel Bazemore Park in Calallen, Texas. Another birding area we frequent.

Part of an outdoor exhibition at a store front on the island. Dolphins, turtles, seashells, and a mermaid all in gigantic proportions decorates the exterior.

A flowering Mexican Olive Tree located in another birding area we go to during the Spring and Autumn months....Blucher Park.

Another area where you can see all kinds of water fowl during most of the year. It's a pretty walk. Paved trail along the tidal pools and fresh water ponds. This is between Corpus Christi and Portland Texas. Not far from our town and always such a pretty view. Even in the dead of winter or when the sea [beyond the pools but in view of the trail] is turbulent.


...one who greeted us as we entered the park to walk around and view birds, wildlife, and check out the plants/flowers.

46 comments :

  1. What a beautiful wander in your world. Love the detail of shape and colour in the tortoise shell! And the little squirrel is just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More beautiful pictures! I can see why you like to wander through this area. I like those white cliffs too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Mari...yes, there are pretty areas around me and I enjoy them. But, as with all of the world, the good places are out there, the eye just has to be focused.

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you liked 'em Denise

      Delete
  4. Ahhh, love all of these pics! I've never been to the reserve where your first two pictures are from, but we have been to Hazel Bazemore and have never been disappointed. Out Mexican Olive trees are also in full bloom right now- always so pretty.

    You always have the best pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Hmmmm, around here the Olive trees are long past blooming, the olives have set on and are dropping off already.

      Delete
  5. YOu sure live in a beautiful part of the world, Anni. I love your pictures showing the amazing variety of wildlife refuges in your area. BTW, thanks for sending me the trailer for that movie a while back. It's nice to have such a cool friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you're welcome for the video link. I had to find something to view so I could see what the movie was like. Hope to find it someday here. Doubtful, but I'll keep looking for it.

      Delete
  6. With your eyes open, and your camera at the ready, you can capture all sorts of wonder-filled sights!

    Macro Mary/Ruby/Yellow

    ReplyDelete
  7. an amazing assortment of nature at her best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Thanks Norma, hope you enjoyed it all.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for the nature tour...
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Hello Anni...i like the photos ... each of thema ! Great captures !

    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it that you have your very own white cliffs!! And also the flowering olive tree, I wonder if the ones in the bible were flowering?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, if they had fruit...they'd most likely were bloomers.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful captures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful place you have it there. I find the flowers very pretty. ^_^

    Kim,USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad to know you enjoyed your time here Kim

      Delete
  13. Beautiful scenery! The turtle is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks....there are a LOT of this species around the city.

      Delete
  14. My granddaughters and I enjoyed your pictures and the captions. I read them out loud to them. We hope the dolphins weren't real. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting post as always :) My word ... that sea looks rough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, that's nothing really...you should see the sea when there is a storm brewing way out off the coast!! LOL

      Delete
  16. What a lovely collection. I especially like that fishing image in the Gulf of Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally thought they were a bit 'loco' to be out there, fishing.

      Delete
  17. what a nice trip through your neck of the woods. The water looks pretty rough in that one shot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...kinda rough, don't you think? LOL

      Delete
  18. Your photos bring to mind my college field trips to Corpus Christi, what fun memories. Texas is so good for bird watching!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful area and gorgeous photos ~ thanks ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...happy to know you enjoyed them Carol

      Delete
  20. I have to say you live in a beautiful area! Love the turtle, and squirrels are always a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. squirrels are always entertaining...and cute!

      Delete
  21. I've loved seeing all your photos. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your photos there - and why are squirrels so cute and yet such a big pain! sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never known a squirrel that could be a big pain. I'm lucky I guess.

      Delete

.