“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Born...in the USA

WILD [and crazy ] BIRD WEDNESDAY
see link on sidebar

If you live around here, y'all know just how hot it has been. Last week, the thermometer soared to the triple digits and the heat index was like stepping outdoors into a sauna. Yet, this is a scene on one of the intersections we frequent nearing the Corpus Christi A&M campus on the bay! According to our temperature reading in the car at the time, it was 102.4 degrees outside. Adding the heat index factor with the humidity coming off the bay, it would have to feel like at least 110 degrees! And this girl was on the street's median, just dancing away and getting all kinds of whistles and car horns. Of course, with the attention she was getting, she even moved more! The suit was from top to bottom, even with fur for her feet...

There was another gal on the sidewalk with a sign about rentals and new apartment complex opening for students. But, all in all, I think the 'parrot girl' was not being paid enough!
- - -




WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE
link on sidebar


1. What's one simple small pleasure on your summer 'to-do' list? The song goes, summertime and the livin' is easy...that's it in a nutshell! Taking the hot humid days slow and easy. It's a pleasure! The simpleness of just sitting down and reading a good book would suffice.  Oh, and another 'simple' pleasure, is the sound of rain falling and thunder in the distance.

2. Do you have strong feelings or opinions regarding the immigration debate in your home country? Feel free to share your thoughts, but please play nice. As long as they don't get 'hand-outs' from our government and work for a living; pay taxes, obey our laws [PAY their way like we citizens do]...they're welcome to join us!  If they want us Americans to dole out our hard earned money for their way of living here in the land of the free...then, turn around and leave!!

3. What's something in your home or wardrobe that could be described as 'star spangled'? I posted this last year on Family Traditions:
"Tomorrow is the 4th of July...What better time to show off my baseball cap - all hand stitched with red, white and blue sequins and gold beads around the stars----It's as "American" as baseball, an old tradition in our country, but most of all, tradition in our own household: "

4. Is your house set up for a party? No.

5. What one never-before-visited city in America, would you most like to see?   It's probably considered more a 'town' than a city, but,  I'd like to go to Wasilla, Alaska  and see if I can really see Russia from there!!  :::snort:::

6. Your favorite red food? White food? Blue food? Red - cherries come to mind. I love everything cherries! White - are potatoes considered white food? If so, they'd be topmost in that white category. Blue - FRESH blueberries [no sugar -just the plump juicy tartness of the fruit!], right off the blueberry bush!!  And just a note:  I don't like canned blueberries, either store bought or home canned ---too sweet...I'll pass on those until I can get my hands on fresh picked!

7. What freedom do you value the most, and why? I value ALL my freedoms equally, and hope to continue to do so. I can't possibly consider one more so than the other. Sorry. You can't put any particular freedom on a scale of higher value without enjoying the freedom of others less so. That's impossible, and improbable for me.

8. Insert your own random thought here. Speaking of freedoms, seems these days freedom of speech has just about become of thing of the past. But I'm still gonna add this today. Tho, it may seem unpatriotic to do so by some standards, it's still something that needs to be shared in my opinion. I've never been apolitical and always jot down my thoughts on the pros and cons of our government. I don't sit by idly hoping for a better future without voicing opinions. This, I received in an email [and the image is NOT mine, it was embedded into the email text, so don't condone me for copying and pasting the email in its entirety...no infringement intended]. This leaves us with something to think about:

...from the thoughts of Larry the Cable Guy.




Think about this:
1. Cows
2. The Constitution
3. The Ten Commandments

COWS
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it amazing that during the mad cow epidemic our government could track a single cow, born in Canada almost three years ago, right to the stall where she slept in the state of Washington? And, they tracked her calves to their stalls. But they are unable to locate 11 million illegal aliens wandering around our country. Maybe we should give each of them a cow.

THE CONSTITUTION
They keep talking about drafting a Constitution for Iraq ....
why don't we just give them ours?
It was written by a lot of really smart guys,
it has worked for over 200 years,
and we're not using it anymore.

THE 10 COMMANDMENTS
The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a courthouse is this -- you cannot post:
'Thou Shalt Not Steal'
'Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery,' and
'Thou Shall Not Lie'
in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians.
It creates a hostile work environment.





51 comments :

  1. Oh, looking at the parrot girl pics made me sweat. Good grief! The buzzards literally started circling me the other day when I was on the TAMUK football field for morning bootcamp, but I think this is a bird encounter beyond that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...on the buzzards. Scary thought tho. BTW...what boot camp? Are you out there in that extreme heat!?!!

      Delete
  2. Love your header, Anni. Brave 'parrot' in that heat. LOVE the cows, constitution & ten commandments
    Happy 4th ~
    TTFN~
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks hope you had a great 4th with your family. And sorry, I can't get into your blog anymore because of Google Plus. So, know I'm thinking about you.

      Delete
    2. I would so appreciate your writing me @ blushing_rose_boutique@yahoo.com re my blog issues if you don't mind. I want my old google back ... I don't know how google+ got on my blog to start with.

      TY for your generous offer to assist me.
      TTFN ~Marydon

      Delete
  3. Love the Cable Guy. :) I would HATE to be in that Parrot suit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh me too, it would be unbearably hot!

      Delete
  4. Cool guy .... :)

    Like it !

    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice close ups on this one!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I chuckled at that bird person in all that heat - gotta be crazy to do that I think. BUT I had a really good laugh at the thoughts of Larry the Cable Guy! Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed it Mick.

      Delete
  7. Funny parrot girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your baseball cap! And who is this bird person, what are they advertising. Our favorite Willie Nelson songs...Phil's is "Blue eyes Crying in the rain" and mine would be "Poncho and Lefty".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...good song choices. As I said in the post below the parrot girl images, they were advertising apartments.

      Delete
  9. GOOD AFTERNOON ANNI!!
    OH MY WORD THAT POOR GIRL IN THAT FUR SUIT. IT IS A WONDER SHE DIDN'T HAVE A HEAT STROKE.

    THIS HAS BEEN A VERY VERY HOT AND WET SUMMER HERE. WE ARE 9" ABOVE IN OUR RAINFALL SO FAR.

    HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY TO YOU, BUD, WINSTON AND TAHOE.
    HUGS MADI AND MOM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks M&M. Hope your 4th was a happy one too.

      Delete
  10. Cute bird, Anni! I would like to take off a week to do nothing, well maybe do some birding. I would like to see Denver, only because it is close to the Rocky Mountains. I've never seen them except from a plane. I am not much of a city person! Great post! BTW, I like your cute copyright logo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Rocky mountains are very pretty and pristine...especially Denver --north into Wyoming and Montana!!

      Delete
  11. Well I hope that parrot girl was drinking lots of water while she was out there.
    Now that I think of it though that suit might be a good way to shed a few pounds....lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. now, that's something I did NOT think of. But of course, she is young and in no need of losing weight. Probably.

      Delete
  12. awesome post, enjoy your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there - that parrot is wild - but in the sense I think of wild! But it did make me laugh.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I was trying to be funny with 'wild' this time. Thanks for hosting Stewart.

      Delete
  14. I love the United States of America - I love red - white - and blue. I love what our country stands for - I love flags blowing in the wind. Happy 4th. sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a jewel, a precious gem, in amongst a lot of rhinestones Sandie

      Delete
  15. Fun shots! It must be hot inside that suit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great patriotic cap! And I absolutely love your random! Happy Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Jill. Hope you had a great holiday and look forward to a very relaxing weekend.

      Delete
  17. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Larry is a pretty smart guy! ;)
    LOVE the baseball cap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...having him actually sound intelligent...but, he did attend college. Hmmmm.

      Thanks.

      Delete
  18. Oh, my, I don't know how the girl in the parrot suit is still standing! :o I always feel bad for the mascots.

    I had trouble picking a favorite freedom, myself. I think your answer is perfect.

    Enjoy your holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that question about 'freedoms' was just not for me to answer only one.

      Delete
  19. I feel so sorry for the gal in the suit and in those temps.
    You have a logo on your photos??? They are always so beautiful I never really notice the logo, just the scenery.
    Great post by the way.
    Happy 4th

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, she was crazy in my opinion. You're being very kind Sharon...thanks. Hope your 4th was a happy celebration.

      Delete
  20. The parrot girl deserves a HUGE raise!!! Your baseball cap took quite the skill and time. Kudoes! And the pearls of wisdom from Larry the Cable Guy were so good that I copied and pasted them into my FB status. He's so funny and so spot-on right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, he IS funny. And from what I've read, he's VERY generous too.

      Delete
  21. I put potatoes too.. they are considered white to me, even though the skin is brown. I love your patriotic background! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Nikki. And we both 'love' potatoes then.

      Delete
  22. I hope the parrot girl had air conditioning. Happy 4th of July! Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete
  23. oh also yes Hunter Pence is quite the ball player, he doesn't let his team quit!

    ReplyDelete
  24. But how do they know there is 11 million if they can't track them?? ;)

    Love your answer for number 7. And Canned blueberries? Why why why would someone do this. I'm so with you on the fresh thing (I've never known them any other way. Except when FRESH blueberries are an ingredient in something else like a pie or a cake).

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just so you feel better, we just returned from Arizona where the temp was 118 in Phoenix. After sizzling there we went to the Grand Canyon, where it dipped into the 30s at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, I remember those white hot skies in AZ and the soaring temps!!

      Delete

.