“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MY PHOTOS ARE NOT TO BE STOLEN FOR PERSONAL USE





Whistle While we Work...or swim in this case---



WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY
Join with other birders, sharing your wild bird photos, and Nature Notes...click on the link[s] found on the right-hand sidebar

Since the two of us try to stop at the Wildlife Refuge to check on the progress of the birthing status of the mama hummingbird and its chicks when we're out and about - this past week we stopped three different days [the mama has been in the nest --nothing's hatched-- yesterday, the nest was without mama hummer, but there was a 'classroom' of school-aged children in the area nearby, so we didn't want to get up close to see if the eggs were there or the nest abandoned. Will check in a day or two] But, while we were there yesterday, I walked out in the heat of the day to the bay and saw a pair of ducks...Black bellied Whistling Ducks to be exact. After getting these photos the couple flew off into the heavily wooded area to perch in the trees. They are TREE perchers...


Addendum to my post midday June 11th.....
The hummer nest Bud and I have been watching so closely?---Today at 10 a.m., we drove back and the mama was there.  By the time we got out of the car and loaded our camera and strung our binoculars around our necks to walk to the bay, the mama had left....Bud took the camera [he's much taller than I am] and reached above the nest as far as he could and snapped a couple of photos ---the two eggs are NOW HATCHLINGS!!!  We are proud parents of two baby ruby-throats!!  lol  I will share photos on here in a day or two.  Once I get 'em taken off the SD card.



WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE
Joyce has these questions for us this week. Join in if you'd care to do so...the link is on my right-hand sidebar


1. What do you think makes a good dad? A guidance counselor, knowing when to use 'tough love' and when to show a gentle side if needed. A provider; but not one who gives too much---a good father should never BUY love of his child in other words [i.e., is there a law that states a parent has to dole out thousands of dollars for a higher education? Is there something wrong with insisting his offspring PAY their way after a certain age?]---. A good dad who allows himself mistakes in the aforementioned qualities and grow with the child...be they newborns, toddlers, teens and adult children, makes a good father in my opinion.

2. What's something you learned from your own father? Independence. I grew up knowing that I should not count on anyone but myself to be able to survive life as I live it. I may have a partner for over 40 some years, but I know I can live on my own at any given time...[not that I want to, but the confidence is instilled in me, "Sink or SWIM" thanks to dad.]

3. It's your birthday-what kind of cake will we be having? It wouldn't BE cake. It'd be a Blackberry pie. My favorite dessert. Or maybe my other favorite dessert...fudge mint brownies with gobs of pecans. If it MUST be cake for my birthday then, it'd be white cake with little or NO vanilla icing, and y'all can indulge while I watch you consume the white cake --I may eat a very small piece but I would scrape off the icing. I don't care that much for cake.


[blackberry pie photo courtesy of Google Images]

4. When you're faced with a big decision are you more of a go with your gut type of person, or are you someone who reasons it all out, weighing the pros and cons? That would depend entirely on the KIND of decision. Marriage for instance, you can't presume any pros or cons in a life of decades with one person...it's ups and downs, financial-children-whether to work outside the home or be a stay a home parent; things like that. But, a decision on say, purchasing a house, then you can work with a realtor or contractor and weigh the pros and cons of such an existing structure or blueprint. Then after reasoning and weighing pros and cons, it's still more or less going with a gut decision....never knowing what the future has at any given time.

5. June is National Dairy Month. What's your favorite dairy item? Most often purchased dairy item? ICE COLD MILK  & most purchased would be a variety of cheeses 'cause I use it to snack on AND cook with.

6. Explorer Jacques Cousteau was born on June 11, 1910....what's something you've recently discovered or something you'd like to explore? Not much on both accounts. If I discover something, like a folded up $20 bill in the washing machine, long forgotten...it's a GREAT discovery!] But on the flip side here...I recently discovered I'm considered ELDERLY!!! Whatchoo talkin' 'bout Willis? Me? Elderly? Reason I state this is 'cause in a news article probably written up by a punk 30 something journalist a man here is accused of stealing from the elderly...a particular woman in an assisted living home...she is 64?!!!! Whoa. In my own limited concept, an elderly woman is near invalid, near blind, no spunk left in her, and maybe pushing the century mark in age!! I'm still full of vigor, vim, and vitality [tho I don't overdo or overstress] -I don't consider myself elderly, I must explore this concept further. I'll get back to you.

7. Are you typical of your generation? Let me put it this way, I'm definitely old school, yet I enjoy learning new things of this day and age...may not like what I see or hear, but it's part of a learning process.

8. Insert your own random thought here. Bud and I purchased these DVDs at Walmart the other day when we were there looking for wooden photo frames for the collage work I did recently for my photo project. We bought an all time favorite of ours "Bullit" starring Steve McQueen...and oldie but goodie. I love car chases in movies, it gets my adrenaline pumping!! And this one, in Bullit, I like especially 'cause it takes place in San Francisco. If you've ever been there, driving, you understand when I tell you: "You don't want to be driving here if you have a manual transmission!"...the hills, oh the hills. Anyway, Bullit...good. We also bought "Life of Pi", "Water for Elephants" and the acclaimed Clint Eastwoood's "Letters From Iwo Jima". The movie Life of Pi was okay. Nothing spectacular tho. Good story, but certainly predictable of the outcome since it began with two gentlemen talking in real time...then flashbacks. Okay. That one is covered. Letters From Iwo Jima was pretty good. A war story about WWII and the infamous victory where the U S MARINES are depicted with the flying of the flag on Mount Suribachi. Of course it's political in a way, but a 'new twist' of the story...through the eyes of the defeated Japanese soldiers. Then, the last movie...Water for Elephants. Neither one of us could get through this movie. Boring. Drug out. We began watching it one night this past week, and couldn't get through it without us both dozing off. We tried a 2nd time, and about 1/2 through, we looked at each other and without another word uttered, we shut it down and packed it up to trade it off at Half Price Books someday in the future. All in all the movie -at least the part we drudged through- suffered from a pronounced lack of chemistry between its lead stars. Who woulda thought? I think this movie would have been better, much better, if done differently and had other celebrities and/or direction.

80 comments :

  1. We have a large flock of those ducks in one of our ponds, and they seem to think they are part of the cattle herd. They move in and mingle with the cows as if they were born with four feet and hooves.

    We love Bullit, too, and the Clint Eastwood one was very good. I agree with you about Pi, and we haven't seen Water for Elephants. I think we'll pass on it, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's something about the ducks. They are sweet looking birds...love their pink feet!! Oh yes, you and me both, I love the movie, Bullit. It's been ages since we've seen it.

      Delete
  2. Great shots of the beautiful ducks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad to know you enjoyed this post Carver.

      Delete
  3. One of the blogs I follow has lots of pictures of the whistling ducks. I enjoy them very much, they are so unique to me. I always love your take on life, Anni. I am certainly not elderly, either! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well....darn DJan, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. As you know, you're a favorite of mine too by the way.

      Delete
  4. I loved Letters From Iwo Jima....forgot that I wax having to read the entire movie. Have you seen his last movie? Trouble With The Curve....I just love anything Clint Eastwood does, I guess...have always loved his movies....well, since Paint Your Wagon....guess that was the first one I really loved....then Play Misty For Me. Now, he doesn't even have to be in it himself for me to love it! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Bud...y'all 'love' anything Eastwood. In fact, I really enjoyed him most when he was in Rawhide. No, seriously.

      Delete
  5. I've only seen the whistlers obscured by reeds in a pond. Very shy, at least in my area. Good for you to get such excellent images.

    Thanks for heads up on Life of Pi. That was recommended by someone, but I was still iffy on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Gail....and I am saddened to know you feel a need to discontinue blogging...you will be missed.

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of those ducks. How unusual that they perch in trees and they have a funny name too. :)
    I was really looking forward to Water for Elephants when it came out and was disappointed too. It didn't live up to the hype surrounding it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regarding the movie...I could NOT for the life of me, figure out anything good about it.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photos! and i love your header
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....it's good to see you here again Ms. S

      Delete
  8. Those ducks are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and sweet ducks, I think. I like their personalities....if ducks have personalities. LOL

      Delete
  9. The Life of Pi was an excellent film. Loved your pretty photos - as always and it was nice to hear the Hodgepodge conversation. We are all a bunch of INTERESTING people, aren't we?? Love hearing about what YOU are doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and friends like you dear Linda make life all the MORE interesting!!

      Delete
  10. Great post for the bird-theme!
    Nice to study!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Hans. Knowing your expertise of photography, I'm ever so grateful.

      Delete
  11. i adore these ducks. my favorite characters here at run*a*round. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...me too. I adore these colorful ones.

      Delete
  12. You got me whistling Annie - it's so good to be back. Lovely photos as always and congratulations on your hatchlings ... how exciting! What makes a good Dad ... someone who tells me all the time how much he loves me and how proud he is! Looking forward to spending a week with my Dad in early July! Whoop! Whoop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your rock our world Janet! Glad to see you back to bloggin'

      Delete
  13. Fabulous duck photos, and I'm so glad to hear there are hummer babies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy to see they hatched...there for a while I thought the nest was abandoned. But hooray for mama!

      Delete
  14. Black Bellied Whistling Ducks???? I have never heard of them, you are a wealth of information!! Do they really whistle? I always love to put ice in my milk, have you ever? People think it is very strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh yes, yes. Ice in my glass of milk. Like I said, ICY COLD milk.

      Delete
  15. Beautiful duck photos!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never heard about these ducks. They are so beautiful, do they really whistle???
    I love hodgepodge #6.
    Glad to hear about your baby hummers. We had 3 new robin babies on Monday.
    As always great photos and post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was stupefied when I read that article. How dare they call me elderly...especially when I have a long lost and newly discovered $20!! lol

      Delete
  17. Great photos of the ducks. They are so colorful. I always enjoy your "hodgepodge" comments but especially related to number 6 this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Mick. Yep, I've known 'kids' who are more elderly acting [or I should say inactive] than the likes of us, right?

      Delete
  18. I love the whistling ducks they are so darn cute! Great shots. My birthday cake would be a hot milk cake with chocolate icing. YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of this kinda cake...but of course, as I posted, I'm not much of a cake eater.

      Delete
  19. Love those ducks! I look forward to seeing the babies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed this Lois.

      Delete
  20. Wonderful shots of the whistlers Anni!
    With regard to fathers I have always liked the statement - 'anyone can be a father, it takes someone special to be a Daddy'

    Looking forward to seeing the baby hummers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I've heard this saying too, and didn't even recall it once I started answering the question. It's like "I coulda had a V8" type revelation.

      Delete
  21. What some great duck picture. Anyhow the other day hubby and I went for a drive though our game reserve. I got a picture of male and female duck..Sorry I don't have it posted saving it for photo hunt on Saturday.
    We have hummingbird feeder by our front window...Not much action last few days...I know they'll fly up in mountain and nest.

    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it really depends on the time of year for active hummingbirds!

      Delete
  22. Great shots! The BBWD's make me laugh! They're goofy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....but such a sweet bird.

      Delete
  23. In answer to question 1: be prepared to sit on the couch and talk about nothing - because one day the kids will want to talk about something important and you need to be there for that.

    Love those ducks!

    Cheers - and thanks for linking to WBW - Stewart M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Stewart, and thanks for hosting WBW

      Delete
  24. 64 isn't even retirement age!!

    I had a conversation with my (almost 96 year old) next door neighbour, who is in better health than most 50 somethings. You know airlines won't let her fly internationally because of her age despite letters from doctors etc saying she's perfectly healthy enough to do so? And that the local hospital won't let her volunteer there anymore because of her age? To me age is just a number and absolutely no proof of health or ability. The same as some 21 year olds are mature enough for marriage and some really are not!

    Sorry - this comment turned into a bit of a rant. Hope you'll forgive me Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rant? No...it's good to voice opinions I think. And you most definitely made some valid points.

      Delete
  25. Ha! I laughed reading your answer about exploring... as an ELDERLY person! 64 ain't elderly!?! Maybe 84... and only if you ACT elderly.

    ReplyDelete
  26. so lovely these special ducks; great snapshots

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful ducks! I like the brown earthy colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they ARE pretty aren't they?

      Delete
  28. Those mint brownies sound fantastic! And I agree with you that kids should pay their own way after a certain age. We're doing them a disservice by paving the way for them so completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your concept is perfect...a disservice indeed.

      Delete
  29. Beautiful pictures of these beautiful ducks.
    Regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the pictures of the ducks! Congrats on the hummingbirds! Hope you will be proud parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we are...along with other birders that frequent that area and know 'bout her brood. :o)

      Delete
  31. You're only as old as you feel! I dont think I've ever had blackberry pie. Gonna need to explore that further : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's delicious if you like the tart/sweet combination in pies.

      Delete
  32. You're one of those people who don't eat the icing on cake! I look at you with amazement because it's my favorite part. ;-) Recently I had a very young girl at a coop ask me if I wanted the senior discount (age 55 and up). I'm 49 and was a little bummed out when I got to the car. I went and had my hair colored the next week! Those ducks are so pretty. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, I don't care for frosting. Bud will eat it what I scrape off.

      Delete
  33. OH ANNI YOU KNOW I LOVE A GOOD HUMMER STORY.

    ANNI YOUR BIRD PICTURES NEED TO BE PUBLISHED. OH MY GOSH THEY ARE BREATH TAKING AND YOU CAPTURE SUCH GOOD POSES!!
    HUGS MADI AND MOM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good...we went back this morning and all's well.

      Delete
  34. I know we have hummers nesting around here but I never find their nests. How fortunate you are to be able to observe. But, then, I did get to watch the swallows with their young and that was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are most difficult to find to be sure.

      Delete
  35. Beautifully illustrated images.... very eye catching, well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Dave, your comment is much appreciated.

      Delete
  36. Thank you for stopping over. You are a no-reply so I couldn't respond to your comment.
    Blueberry cheesecake....yum! I love buying movies. I actually loved Life of Pi when I saw it at the show. The deals have been great on the DVD but pretty soon we will all have to get Blue Ray players but thankfully the regular DVD's play in them. I love found money. Pie sounds yummy and you pretty much don't like cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ya, I don't do emails much except for family members.

      Delete
  37. #6 totally cracked me up! You're a total "hoot" my bloggy friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What nice Whistler shares, lovely! Hmm for my birthday, I would love anything with lemon and raspberry, or chocolate;') Blackberry pie, cobbler, as long as non-seeded...yummy too~

      Delete
    2. auburnchick: Glad you got a good belly laugh from that one. LOL

      Delete
    3. Mary: Oh, I don't mind the seeds. Anything blackberry, raspberry is okay by me, seeds and all.

      Delete
  38. Great post for Nature Notes..I love waterfowl and these are new ducks for me. I would LOVE to have a ruby-throat nest here, but I haven't seen any females at my feeders and no monarch butterflies for me to raise from eggs...not a good year here in western NY..Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  39. You know I have never seen Whistlers except on the internet! They are so pretty. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  40. Beautiful ducks.

    ReplyDelete

.