my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Only the Hairdresser knows for sure...

[I try and post my Wednesday meme activity on Tuesday since WBW is hosted in Australia]



WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY

...ever had a day where nothing looked right?
Snowy Egret image taken in February 2013
Hans Suter Nature Reserve
Corpus Christi, Texas



<><><>---<><><>



WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE

Joyce has these questions for us to answer this week:



1. Share one fun thing you did last week, while the Hodgepodge was on 'spring break'. In a comedic way, I think being able to swing my body off the bed in the morning and get up to face the daybreak; smiling and happy to be alive, as fun. This past week tho, it would be getting outdoors; taking a special photo for my photo blog as the 'fun highlight'...in fact, I am 'killing two birds with one stone' so to speak [as I have become an avid birder, there is no pun intended in that remark]...I am also getting plenty of fresh air and sunshine, and walking. Boring, huh?

2. April 10th is National Sibling Day...do you have siblings, and if so are you close? Share a favorite story featuring one or all of your siblings. If you don't have siblings, did you ever wish you did? I have four siblings. Three brothers and one sister. By the time I was born in the family, my oldest brother was gone from home...in the Air Force. My middle brother was the one I was closest to as far as brothers go [we would do A LOT together like for instance, take off in his plane and fly high above where we lived, all over Colorado...just for fun...those days are long gone - he is no longer alive]...my youngest brother has been estranged since our father passed away. Now my sister...she and I are VERY close. Always have been. A favorite story? Well, how 'bout the time the two of us sisters spent a summer in Washington D.C. Such a long story of so many things happening. Historical events, sitting in the Senate and being able to travel on the Congressional subway underneath the capitol's dome...it was a lifetime experience. They don't allow that any more!!! Traveling down the Potomac River on a riverboat...meeting the Righteous Bros....yes, I DID. Yummy guys. There is so much the two of us have gone through through our lifetime together, it's phenomenal. OH...I just thought of the time when it was dark and we were sharing a room at the time ---had to do with monster story telling, etc. I had my sister wide awake for weeks!! She feared going to sleep. Long story, but a memorable one that we bring up every once in a while.

3. Is it important to you to 'buy American'? Why or why not? How much of an effort do you make to 'buy American'? If you're not American, insert your own country in the blank. Yes, and all the more so these days with the economy and so many local shops feeling the influx of our government's ways. And the product that I have ALWAYS purchased 'made in USA' is....the car. Now, tho, it tends to be a label search on a number of products I buy...I'm especially drawn to purchase MADE IN TEXAS ...or TEXAS GROWN.

4. Besides The Bible, what book has impacted your spirituality in some way? I would base my answer on anything  and all things that would deem my thoughts and actions.  Reading anything that moves me to change my ideas, ideals, actions, thoughts, as a spiritual lifting or impact as the question reads. For instance, it's not a book per sé [and this is my answer to what impacted me recently] --recently reading a stylish, bound in leather, restaurant menu. And seeing the price of a special cut of meat, seared to my liking...the price got my adrenaline pumping and knowing I could afford to pay for it lifted my spirits and I continually realize that so many can't afford and go hungry. As for 'religious' spirituality - it's not gonna happen on my blog; it's personal.

5. April showers bring May flowers or so the saying goes. Do you find rainy days calming or depressing? When were you last caught in a rainstorm? What's blooming in your neck of the woods today? Rain? What's that? ['bout now, rain would be sooooooo calming!] I can't even remember the last rainstorm of significance. Wish I could. It's going on three years now that the state of Texas is in a drought situation. And this area is subtropical...averaging around 30" of rain a year. The last two plus years we've had a whole sum total of about maybe 5-10 inches of rain?!!!! As for what's blooming here?------just about everything. I just noticed yesterday that my pomegranate tree is getting blossoms. And the gardenia bush is filling the air with such sweetness. If the breeze is just right, the perfume from that is quite heady.

6. What's your favorite yellow food? BUTTER, real  butter.

7. April is National Poetry Month...what's a poem that holds special meaning for you, and why is it special? My favorite poet, for me personally, is Robert Frost, but this one is so very special to me in a personal way, that I will post this one. It's NOT by Robert Frost. And I explain why it's so special below the poem.

warning:
It's a LONG one!!


Slowly England's sun was setting oe'r the hilltops far away,
Filling all the land with beauty at the close of one sad day;
And its last rays kissed the forehead of a man and maiden fair,--
He with steps so slow and weary; she with sunny, floating hair;
He with bowed head, sad and thoughtful, she, with lips all cold and white,
Struggling to keep back the murmur, "Curfew must not ring to-night!"

"Sexton," Bessie's white lips faltered, pointing to the prison old,
With its walls tall and gloomy, moss-grown walls dark, damp and cold,--
"I've a lover in the prison, doomed this very night to die
At the ringing of the curfew, and no earthly help is nigh.
Cromwell will not come till sunset;" and her lips grew strangely white,
As she spoke in husky whispers, "Curfew must not ring to-night!"

"Bessie," calmly spoke the sexton (every word pierced her young heart
Like a gleaming death-winged arrow, like a deadly poisoned dart),
"Long, long years I've rung the curfew from that gloomy, shadowed tower;
Every evening, just at sunset, it has tolled the twilight hour.
I have done my duty ever, tried to do it just and right:
Now I'm old, I will not miss it. Curfew bell must ring to-night!"

Wild her eyes and pale her features, stern and white her thoughtful brow,
As within her secret bosom, Bessie made a solemn vow.
She had listened while the judges read, without a tear or sigh,
"At the ringing of the curfew, Basil Underwood must die".
And her breath came fast and faster, and her eyes grew large and bright;
One low murmur, faintly spoken. "Curfew must not ring to-night!"

She with quick step bounded forward, sprang within the old church-door,
Left the old man coming slowly, paths he'd trod so oft before.
Not one moment paused the maiden, But with eye and cheek aglow,
Staggered up the gloomy tower, Where the bell swung to and fro;
As she climbed the slimy ladder, On which fell no ray of light,
Upward still, her pale lips saying, "Curfew shall not ring to-night!"

She has reached the topmost ladder, o'er her hangs the great dark bell;
Awful is the gloom beneath her, like the pathway down to hell.
See! the ponderous tongue is swinging; 'tis the hour of curfew now,
And the sight has chilled her bosom, stopped her breath, and paled her brow.
Shall she let it ring? No, never! Her eyes flash with sudden light,
As she springs, and grasps it firmly: "Curfew shall not ring to-night!"

Out she swung,-- far out. The city Seemed a speck of light below,--
There twixt heaven and earth suspended, As the bell swung to and fro.
And the sexton at the bell-rope, old and deaf, heard not the bell,
Sadly thought that twilight curfew rang young Basil's funeral knell.
"Still the maiden, clinging firmly, quivering lip and fair face white,
Stilled her frightened heart's wild throbbing: "Curfew shall not ring tonight!"

It was o'er, the bell ceased swaying; and the maiden stepped once more
Firmly on the damp old ladder, where, for hundred years before,
Human foot had not been planted. The brave deed that she had done
Should be told long ages after. As the rays of setting sun
Light the sky with golden beauty, aged sires, with heads of white,
Tell the children why the curfew did not ring that one sad night.

O'er the distant hills comes Cromwell. Bessie sees him; and her brow,
Lately white with sickening horror, has no anxious traces now.
At his feet she tells her story, shows her hands, all bruised and torn;
And her sweet young face, still hagggard, with the anguish it had worn,
Touched his heart with sudden pity, lit his eyes with misty light.
"Go! your lover lives," said Cromwell. "Curfew shall not ring to-night!"

Wide they flung the massive portals, led the prisoner forth to die,
All his bright young life before him. Neath the darkening English sky,
Bessie came, with flying footsteps, eyes aglow with lovelight sweet;
Kneeling on the turf beside him, laid his pardon at his feet.
In his brave, strong arms he clasped her, kissed the face upturned and white,
Whispered, "Darling, you have saved me, curfew will not ring to-night."

...and the reason this is so special, my husband's grandmother [who lived to be 108 years old by the way] was completely deaf, and she could recite this poem verbatim. I was always in AWE. [Bud's grandmother was English, as was the poetess, tho his grandmother was born in America, her siblings were born in England]
by Rose Hartwick Thorpe, written in 1867 and set in the 17th century.
It was written when Ms. Thorpe was 16 years old


8. Insert your own random thought here.

Dillon, my youngest grandson [17], is a state chess champion where the three, my daughter and her two sons, reside. Well, he came in 2nd place with a trophy earlier this Spring. And he was on his way to the National Chess Supernational Tournament in Nashville Tennessee this past weekend...I have yet to get in contact with Irene and/or Dillon to see what the outcome was over the weekend. But, no matter if he won top honors or came in 2nd, 3rd or didn't get recognized and eliminated early, I was thrilled to have such a brilliant chess player among us. [and I can't wait to play a match or two with him sometime soon].


The image here, I found through a google search, and it's not mine. Hopefully, I'm not infringing on a copyright issue by using it here with pride.

35 comments :

  1. What a fun hodgepodge! I am close to one of my four sisters and sometimes wonder why it turned out that way. I wish we could send some of our rain your way, Anni. We get way more than we need. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the poem! ANd congratulations to your grandson- that's no small feat.

    Just reading about your gardenias put me in a happy place, savoring their aroma.

    That bird makes me feel a little better about my windblown hair this morning...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that bird shot! I think I could compete with that look this morning.
    Good for Dillon. What an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to that bird with our winds over 40 mph and we did finally get much needed rain last night but it was bad in places.
    Congrats to your grandson that is quite a feat for sure. I suck at checkers when playing the grands.
    Enjoyed the hodgepodge today.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have hair just like the Egret's! You write in a way that shows your true self - a good thing. Smell the gardenias for me. It's snowing here in Breckenridge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The picture of that bird is gorgeous.
    I never would have thought about butter as a yellow food but yeah, now that I think of it that would be mine too. And yes, REAL butter.
    Very impressive about your grandson. I can imagine how proud you are of him

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bird is beautiful, no such thing as a bad hair day when you look like that egret!

    ReplyDelete
  8. and AMAZING photograph. Was the head-gear naturally like that or did the wind do it? Beautiful egret and your photograph is fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photo of the egret with the plumes standing up like that. I remember hearing that poem many, many years ago! What an amazing memory to be able to repeat it all at that age!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The snowy Egret is gorgeous. I think not many people have seen one. I ran into a woman at the doctor's office, and she told me her son worked at Wal-Mart. His job was to sit in a back room removing stickers that said they were made in other countries, and he replaced them with American ones. This was about 11 years ago, and maybe she was not truthful either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great capture of this funny looking egret!
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That heron is quite regal looking!!!
    A fun hodgepodge today.
    Congrats to your Grandson!
    As far as butter - is there anything other than REAL butter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats to Dillion, that is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anni, the egret is what my hair looked like after two hours at the swamp this afternoon. The humidity was awful! And I had styled it so pretty before I left the house. Hee! Congratulations to your grandson. That is pretty darn amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. tks for your msg re my link on WBW; much appreciated; have re-posted.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there - nice post. It's been a long time since I have had enough hair to have a day like that!!

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  17. you made me wish I was closer to my sister ... what fun you all have! :)
    And I so agree w/ butter being a favorite!!! :) Didn't even think about it being a YELLOW food!
    Have a great week.
    Conny
    www.ordinaryhausfrau.wordpress.com
    And thank you for being so faithful to visit blogs during hodgepodge! (at least mine)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great poem. Congrats to your grandson. Never mastered the game of chess.

    ReplyDelete
  19. adorable bird! :) no gators here! snapping turtles, copperheads and moccasins, though.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely shot of the Egret and yes Bad hair Day : )...!!
    "I loved that poem"!! I can see why your husbands Grandmother loved it and how special that she could recite it !!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your Snowy Egret. I like the Hodgepodge as it let me get to know a bit about you.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ha, ha, what a funny photo of the beautiful snowy egret!
    I've only seen one egret, once!
    Thanks for your comment, Anni!
    Greetings Pia

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your blog background. You met the Righeous Brothers, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Can't imagine why I didn't think of butter? haha Love it TOO much! Congrats to your grandson..pretty exciting. Hope you enjoyed your day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I never thought of butter!

    And I love we have the same sibling combo. I'm also estranged from one of them now. It's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great photo of the egret.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm completely in awe that she could recite that entire poem! Wow! She had a great memory. :)

    I love visiting Washington DC! My family went several times when I was growing up since we lived only 6 hours away. I have wonderful memories of that city also.

    ReplyDelete
  28. wow, the image of the Snowy Egret is amazing. Love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Morning Anni what a beautiful header and Bird Picture.
    I thoroughly enjoyed your Q&A too...especially about your sister.

    We've been MIA my (84) dad fell on concreted driveway Monday, fractured his skull, subdural hematoma and bruising. Surgery on Tuesday to remove the hematoma...in ICU. I prepared over a week of pre-post over the weekend, I'm adding updates each day.
    Hugs all around
    C

    ReplyDelete
  30. That's a gorgeous shot of the egret! Love the feathers!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Pomegranate tree? You have a pomegranate tree?? Nani=JEALOUS! Hope you get some serious rain this year.

    That was the poem used in Desk Set (Tracy and Hepburn,1957) to show that computers could not replace people for researching. In 1957 a movie computer got stuck typing out the long poem and couldn't answer anything else until it was done. The Interwebs are a little quicker and multi-taskier now! You still need people to input and use the data, so we're still not replace! :)

    A state chess champion is awesome! I haven't played in quite a while, but I admire anyone who is that accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  32. The Snowy is one of my favorite birds and I love seeing them running around the shallow water with their feathers going every which way.
    Thank you for an entertaining post!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I so agree with you Anni - it is important to buy American. I try but I am not always successful!!!!!!!! Have a good weekend. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm not sure kids are taught to memorize poetry anymore. I learned to play chess a long time ago ( definitely not championship level!) but I haven't played in eons. Hope you're having a nice weekend...trying to catch up on HP's before the next one rolls around : )

    ReplyDelete
  35. ...THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS EVERYONE. It's been a busy week here in Texas, sorry for the delay in getting back to you to repay you a visit. Hope your weekend is going well. And I hope I didn't miss stopping by to all who came by this past week. If I did, forgive me.

    ReplyDelete

.