MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Birds, Books, And Blog Hodgepodge

WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY
If you'd like to participate, check out my right sidebar under "Memes"....


One of my favorite song birds! I love to hear their trill when out on a birding 'expedition'. And they sing to me their song, I instantly feel welcomed to their territory!!! THE RED WINGED BLACKBIRD


<><><>- - -<><><>


WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE
Joyse, our fearless leader, has these questions for us to answer. 
If you'd like to participate, check out my right sidebar under "Memes"....

1. April 15th is the deadline for Americans to file their state and federal income tax returns. What's a job you do on a regular basis that could be described as 'taxing'? Well, it's taxing for one thing...and that's sweat created by yard work! In such a humid environment here in South Texas, right on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico, you can't help but sweat profusely when it comes to mowing and edging the lawn during the height of summer months. Then, it's showering after the job. Have you ever tried getting dressed after a shower and toweling off only to find that clothes won't cooperate 'cause you're still sticky from humidity? Not fun. Taxing.

2. I'm participating in the April A-Z blog challenge, and the Hodgepodge happens to fall on Day O this week. In keeping with that theme...olives, onions, oysters, okra...of the foods mentioned, what's your favorite O food? I love GREEN olives!!! In fact, if there is a jar of them nearby, I tend to over-eat, at least according to the label's serving size. Always. They're addictive. I'd even prefer green olives on a pizza if olives are around, instead of black/ripe olives. Then, onion rings. Oh boy, I don't eat them often, but when I do, I eat more than my share. Or so says Bud. My preferred "O" drink would be O.J. [Simply Orange is BEST...high pulp] Oh and Nature Valley Oatmeal and Almond Granola Bars!!!

3. What is something memorable you experienced as a child that your own children (or future children/nieces/nephews) will not get to experience? AS A CHILD....I had maternal grandparents that had a huge farm. Sections of land, cattle, corn fields, a vast large barn, windmill and river running through the land. Their house was a three-story home. Farm equipment such as tractors, harrows, plows, etc. I learned to drive at an early, EARLY age on the farmland. Rode along on the columbine as a youngster. So many many experiences, that with both my parents and Bud's, our kids never got to grow up knowing how hard and how long the working hours are involved in farming. And educational!! Oh, and each time I see a large windmill such as this, I think of days gone by where we'd drink from the spring just below the mill as it slowly turned with the slightest breeze. The water was always cold, naturally, and unpolluted; sweetest tasting water ever!!

4. Term limits for our elected officials...your thoughts? Well, ironic once again. Just a few days ago, while talking with my son Erik, who teaches Political Science at the university level, we were discussing the process of limiting the terms for Congress/Senate. I'm still doing some research for my own personal knowledge, and I must say the way our government is right now, I would have to come up front and admit that limiting terms would get some new blood flowing through our veins...but would it help? And it would have to be an added amendment to our country's constitution...passed by none other than the Congress itself?!!! And you know darned well, they're NOT gonna put that on the constitution and 'vote' themselves out of a job. Just the other day, Sen. John McCain, on Meet the Press I believe, stated something to fact that he wanted the people of America to know how 'we stand' on some such subject.......now to me, that's all kinds of wrong!!! Shouldn't it be "knowing how the Americans stand?"....don't they see their jobs as voted-in representatives that they are working FOR THE PEOPLE? Perhaps the ballot for voting for/against term limits of Congress [Our Senate AND Representatives] should be on the STATE ballots!! Again, new blood in Congress every 2 to 4 years sounds pretty darned good, but would that help or create a hindrance? That's the big question!!! Article V of our constitution shows the additions of new amendments, but there is Congress ratification, etc. Confusing process. I'm still debating on the subject and trying to educate myself on how the process is. I'm still quite naive on the whole for now.
    ARTICLE V of the Constitution: The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States or by Conventions in three fourths thereof....
Reading this, and trying to put the text in laymen's terms, shows me that proposing term limits isn't gonna happen. :o(

5. On April 18th, 1775, Paul Revere made his famous 'midnight ride'...when did you last make a midnight ride? Perhaps the fate of a nation wasn't hanging in the balance, but tell us where you were headed anyway. On my way down interstate 25 heading to Colorado Springs to the Children's Memorial Hospital...Clint [my first grandson born with Down Syndrome] was admitted with heart failure....he had open heart surgery at the age of 5 months.

6. What would freak you out more...a mouse running across your floor or a big fat hairy spider? Let's put it this way, mice do not freak me out. Not one bit. Spiders on the other hand...'does that answer the question?' I would need a fly swatter on a ten foot pole to get the nasty booger! And don't tell me I'm not humane!! Spiders create 100s more baby spiders than mice create more mice.

7. I love it when people ask me for my ID when I'm 64. In your dreams, Anni, in your dreams. ;o)

8. Insert your own random thought here. As y'all know, those that read my blog, that my newest book reading is "The Black Count"...a biography of Alexander Dumas, author of The Count of Monte Cristo and Three Musketeers. It's very good!!! I'm at the part now about the French Revolution, and I must say, I thought the subject would be b-o-r-ing!! Not so. But you say to yourself, you have no time to read?!! Perhaps I can help you find something of interest and not at all time consuming. Here's a list of some of the shortest books around:

MY BLACK GIRLFRIENDS
By Tiger Woods
____________________________________________

THINGS I LOVE ABOUT MY COUNTRY
By Jane Fonda, Cindy Sheehan
& Michelle Obama
Illustrated by Michael Moore
Foreword by George Soros
________________________________________

MY CHRISTIAN ACCOMPLISHMENTS
& HOW I HELPED AFTER KATRINA
By "The Rev Jesse Jackson" & "The Rev Al Sharpton"
______________________________________

THINGS I LOVE ABOUT BILL
By Hillary Clinton
_________________

Sequel: THINGS I LOVE ABOUT HILLARY
By Bill Clinton
_________________

THINGS I WOULD NOT DO FOR MONEY
By Dennis Rodman
_________________________________

THINGS WE KNOW TO BE TRUE
By Al Gore & John Kerry
_____________________________________

GUIDE TO THE PACIFIC
By Amelia Earhart
____________________________________

HOW TO LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST
By Dr. Jack Kevorkian
__________________________________

TO ALL THE MEN WE HAVE LOVED BEFORE
By Ellen de Generes & Rosie O'Donnell
__________________

GUIDE TO DATING ETIQUETTE
By Mike Tyson
__________________________________

THE AMISH PHONE DIRECTORY
______________________________________

MY PLAN TO FIND THE REAL KILLERS
By O. J. Simpson & Casey Anthony
_________________________________________

HOW TO DRINK & DRIVE SAFELY
By Ted Kennedy
_________

MY BOOK ON MORALS
By Bill Clinton
With introduction by
The Rev. Jesse Jackson
And foreword by
Tiger Woods with John Edwards
____________________________________________________

HOW TO WIN A SUPERBOWL
BY the Minnesota Vikings™
___________________________________________________

AND, JUST ADDED:
My Complete Knowledge of Military Strategy
By Nancy Pelosi
________________________________________________________

And the shortest book of them all.......................
THINGS I DID TO DESERVE THE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE
By Barack Obama

68 comments :

  1. Love your hot and humid list today! Have you all eaten the onion rings at King's Inn on Loyola Beach east of Riviera?

    I loved, LOVED your description on #3. Makes me want to run out to the field right now and drink some of that good water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...there is just something special about spring water. No, I haven't had those rings.

      Delete
  2. HA HA---love your shortest books list... That last one is priceless!!!!!

    Red-wing Blackbirds are pretty birds --but I can never get them close enough to get a photo. They stay out on the golf course fairway --and won't come near the houses/yards...

    I'm definitely in favor of term limits.. MANY of those people in congress have been there MUCH too long. They have no idea what is truly going on in our country... We desperately need changes made --in both parties!!!

    Love your blog look/header...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that last one on the list of books IS a hoot, isn't it?

      Delete
  3. Good morning Anni
    I agree with the term limits.
    I feel for you on the humidity as I am sitting here getting snow and temps in the low 30s. GRRRR
    We have those red-wing black birds in our yard.
    Have a nice day
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good shot, beautiful birds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha love that last list of books....always an interesting read and I'd have to pick oranges as my O food! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed this Sherry.

      Delete
  6. I love red-winged blackbirds. I had one in my yard the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yesterday I was so irritated at a red-winged blackbird that would NOT shut up. He was drowning out the sweet sounds of the goldfinches. Term limits, YES, PELASE! I have stopped hoping things will get better in our government. So much waste and abuse that gets my blood boiling. Sorry, I think I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh isn't it frustrating sometimes!?!!!

      Delete
  8. O.K here goes, I will admit...I was looking down your list of books and was going to ask you if you have actually read all of them. They seemed really STRANGE. Then half way down it HIT me!!! TOO funny! I have never gotten a red winged photo! They sit on top of tall reeds on the side of fields on the highway and fly away when we stop. And I have never heard one sing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...rofl...that was a 'gotcha' then, huh?

      Delete
  9. Oh boy...you have 2 parties but we have 6 in our parliament! - and we have 5 million people in this tiny country...
    Our politicians try to remember they're working for us but not always - market economy rules. We pay A LOT of taxes, so we have basic social secure for all the citizens - that is not cheap but it secures health service for the most poor in this country.
    Cost of living is high......I could go on and on...but it's late and I'm going to sleep, nite, nite! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I'd definitely be totally confused with that kind of government. LOL

      Delete
  10. Great photos of a cute bird!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anni, great shots of your RW Blackbirds. I enjoyed your hodgepodge this week! Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos of the Red-winged Blackbirds. I've read about them in books but wish I could see them for real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well now, we can fix that...come on over to USA and Texas. I'll take you around to find some.

      Delete
  13. Love the red wing black bird. I've seen a few but never when I'm able to even attempt to get a picture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Duke would love to have a poster of one at his bedside, pro'ly?!!

      Delete
  14. enjoyed your RW blackbirds and would love to hear them singing like you have

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...their song is beautifully indescribable.

      Delete
  15. Found your blog via Linda's Life Journal. We have lot's of Red Wing Black birds on our property. It looks like a scene from Alfred Hithcocks movie "The Birds" some days.
    Your newest follower

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great read Anni, thank you. Love those Red-winged blackbirds. If I am right I can hear one in the trees out back right now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your photos of the red-winged blackbird! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed the images of the RW's

      Delete
  18. Looks like red-wings were this week's bird for sure. :)
    I like to see them fly and catch that red wing. Maybe I'll get that shot someday. :)
    Loved your list of short books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. When they're perched there is no tell-tale concept of actually how MUCH red is on the wings 'til they fly away.

      Delete
  19. Enjoyed this, love green olives too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Denise. Oh yes, green olives, yum!!

      Delete
  20. You are so right - farms and the wonderful lives that were led on them - is a thing of the past. sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...sadly, a thing of the past. Heck, now-a-days farming isn't at all like when I was a kid. They even have closed-in a/conditioned cabs on their tractors and equipment.

      Delete
  21. I loved your shortest books list.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love red-winged blackbirds because when I hear them in my yard I know that spring is really here.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...definitely a sign of Spring!!

      Delete
  23. Loving that blackbird! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree with you Anni. I just loved to hear the trill of the Rde Winged Blackbirds. Wish I could hear one right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....it's such a comforting sound.

      Delete
  25. With you on the spiders front Anni! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, Joyce didn't mention snakes, I hate snakes even more so. LOL

      Delete
  26. I love the blackbird pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed the image shares this time 'round.

      Delete
  27. I would love to see the Red-winged Black Bird - they feature in the first pages of one ofmy favourite books (but its not on your list!)

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW.

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    PS; I dont think I can export the ducks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...awww, heck. Are you sure some zoo in USA can't get a couple of them? They're sooooo neat.

      Delete
  28. Love your bird pictures, as always. We get a lot of those black birds around here and they always catch my eye. Nope...not a fan of spiders, either. Big or small...it doesn't matter! It gets HOT here in HOTlanta, as well! The summers are brutal, to say the least! Oh, and not to mention the pollen in the springtime...it's the worst! A-CHOO! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. luckily, I don't suffer from allergies like some. But I agree, summers can be brutal.

      Delete
  29. My grandparents had a farm too, it faced the Rockies and was spectacular. Lots of happy memories of childhood visits there!

    You know some states now have made it a law that everyone gets id'd, no matter how obvious it is that they don't need to be. It irks my hubs, but I don't mind : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'd like to think by them asking for my ID, I don't look my age. rofl

      Delete
  30. Hi Anni!
    I also love the song of the blackbirds and now they also have started to sing in Sweden. Nice photos of this bird, we don't have this redwinged sort.
    Thanks for your comment! Greetings Pia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU for stopping by Pia.

      Delete
  31. I love your red winged blackbird photos! The current book sounds like one I might like.

    Oranges and oatmeal are also favorite O foods for me, but kalamata olives are still my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, oranges and oatmeal...heck, they'd make a good tasting breakfast 'bout now. :o)

      Delete
  32. Love the Red-winged Blackbird! Nice shots!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Splendid images of the Red-winged Blackbird. I just think they are such great birds! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, I enjoyed your owlet share too.

      Delete
  34. I'm with you, I love hearing the Red-winged Blackbirds making a racket in the reeds when I get near a lake or a field. To me, it wouldn't be natural if they weren't there.
    Thank you for sharing your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed this post Wally.

      Delete

.