my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


...it's only 'fair'

Twice a year [and I understand that this year it'll be three times], the Peddler Show comes to 'town'. Actually, it's NOT held in Corpus Christi, but all taking place at the County Fair Grounds in Robstown, Texas [about 25 miles from here]. Bud and I don't attend too often, but once in a while I like to go and mingle with the rush and onset of the 'psycho shopper'. LOL. The shows are always on a weekend. And this past weekend, the weather was perfect for getting out and seeing what was 'in store'. There are booths outdoors as you near the Central Pavilion Arena. This complex is huge. Then, pay the entrance fee, and trust me, it's a shopper's paradise. From all over the country [mostly Texans from around the state] have booths set up to sell their wares. Hand made, home made, and just about everything under the sun can be found here. The array of crafts and displays of all the peddlers' handi-work never ceases to amaze me. Oftentimes, I find myself really studying a certain item in hopes when I get home I can duplicate it. Usually, things found here are not all that high priced. MOST are reasonable considering the work and detail put into the products. Here you can also find home made candies...I love the Texas Pecan Brittle and find myself sampling all the sweet things...from candy, to dips, to soups, jellies, teas. Rarely am I disappointed. Once you've sampled the food stuffs, you can find the dry mixes handy; right at your fingertips, in order to purchase those you find your favorite. The last time were attended the show, Bud and I bought a reproduction painting of Texas Longhorns that I posted about... [link]. But, this time around, we had nothing in mind except to take a walk about. Of course, me and jewelry and fashions. Bud, on the other hand, likes the iron works and leather stuffs. He bought himself a new tri-fold billfold. This certain booth's proprietor would 'carve' in the leather whatever you want done. Bud and the guy worked on creating a replica of Bud's registered cattle brand that he has kept registered in Colorado even tho we no longer live there. Keeping the brand registered at the state level means no one else can have the same. It really turned our super. Bud was pleased, so I am pleased. I then, perused most all the sections that had hand crafted jewelry. Found really nothing I couldn't live without. But!! --I did find a place from one of the Texans that was selling their wares at half price 'cause she told me they wanted to liquidate before inventory. I couldn't help myself but oblige her and bought a couple of scarf necklaces. I really don't know just how else to describe them. If there is a special term for them, please enlighten me. Of course, I searched through the collection to find the two colors that are my favorites. Purple and Green. And another favorite 'color' is SPARKLE!! These scarves, and the jewelry that is added had several rhinestone pieces in all a great number of different sorts. From flowers, to bees, to wild animals, crosses and the fleur-de-lis; while some had just a bauble with sparkly rhinestones. The purple one I bought has a nice pretty heart of glitter and silver!! The green one has an elephant with its 'saddle' in rhinestone. More walking, more perusing, taste testing, people watching, fighting for a space in the aisles as the crowds grew larger and larger, after buying some tea and coffee mixes that were so refreshingly tart [the tea mixes] and for Bud, the sweetness of cream and pecans and Irish Cream [coffee mixes], we began working our way back to the great outdoors and the sales exhibited outside. After that, we called it a day and drove back to town and home, stopping for lunch at Texas Roadhouse for a steak lunch, late in the afternoon. I really like those lunches that we have, dining out, 'cause that means not much cooking involved later in the evening other than a chef salad and no dishes or clean up. For Tina's Picstory challenge this week: 18.-20. februar: *dächer - roofs* I thought this would be appropriate...the great towering roof of the Pavilion Entrance.

R M Borchard Regional Fairgrounds
Robstown, Texas
February 16, 2013
Peddlers' Show February 15-17


connecting to:

34 comments :

  1. The last picture is beautiful. I adore the elephant pendant! What an awesome day this must have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was fun until the crowds started building up to the point you could hardly move anywhere. I'm not big on crowds.

      Delete
  2. Lucky...I never get to go to the arts and craft shows anymore because I'm always at work on Saturday and Sunday. I love going and looking...and sometimes buying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that's it, 'sometimes buying'. That's the MOST fun. LOL

      Delete
  3. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there - my daughter would like the elephant a lot!

    The front door was one of the things I remembered about the house when we first visited - when we were looking for a house we would look at up to ten in a weekend and my wife always can up with a code for each one to help us remember which was which - this house was the one "with the lead light door"!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that door, it WOULD be a selling point for me too.

      Delete
  5. The scarf necklaces are really cute, and I'm seeing them more and more, so you really hit on a growing trend. I didn't make the Country Peddler Show this year, but others were telling me how much they enjoyed it. Glad you got to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally did something right and at the right time when it comes to fashion then?!! WTG Anni.

      Delete
  6. What a fun place to go to! I really like your scarf necklaces - don't know what I would call them either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....I'm sure there is another term for them, but who knows.

      Delete
  7. Those are some pretty scarves with bling, Anni. I would have loved to be there with you and see all the homemade stuff. We have something similar with our Farmers Market, but there is nothing cheap there, trust me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I understand about stuff being 'cheap'. Sometimes they are overpriced, but that point in time, you just move on to the next booth.

      Delete
  8. Love those necklaces!

    Great post – as always!

    Visiting from Ruby Tuesday. Here’s mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad to know you like 'em too Lola.

      Delete
  9. thanx for joining us with your roofs! i like also the ♥ and the elephant :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for hosting Tina

      Delete
  10. OH My word I wish I had been there with you...early! I am not a fan of being elbow to elbow either just not as much fun but I do love anything made by hand.
    You got some great deals on those pretty scarves.
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't worn them yet, but will very soon.

      Delete
  11. That looks like GREAT fun. My Mom and I would have a blast there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it definitely is a great place to shop, and get crafty ideas too.

      Delete
  12. How fun! I would love to have been there, too. :) It's fun to walk through these and I also spend (too much) time wandering around Etsy and seeing many of these items on line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely do any online shopping...or online window shopping for that matter. I'd much prefer mingling and walking while I shop.

      Delete
  13. Since I'm not a shopper and have never been a shopper, I would NEVER go to that sale --even though I'm sure you find many great treasures there....We have lots of 'Craft Shows' in our area in the Fall---and people sell their wares.... I don't even go to them --mainly because I don't choose to spend my money there... BUT--as I said, I'm just not a shopper... Oh Well--see what I'm missing???? ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...so how do you get groceries and clothes to wear if you don't shop?

      Delete
  14. This sounds like my kind of way to spend a day. When I go to stuff like this I'm always trying to figure out how things are made so I can do them myself. Sometimes I even sneak a picture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pictures...oh me too. Thing is, there are people, undercover people, who patrol the areas for just those who would do such a thing. I try to have Bud 'conceal the camera, if I do do such a thing.

      Delete
  15. I enjoy events like this but like you Anni I am not fond of big crowds. Get in early and get out. The elephant pendant is beautiful. I love your roof photo for this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, you and me both, crowds are not fun.

      Delete
  16. I think maybe those crowds would be my worst nightmare! Your scarf necklaces are lovely though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too....crowds are not my forté....go early leave early, before the mass congregates.

      Delete
  17. Looks like it is quite the event. Glad you had some good finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's fun to attend....occasionally.

      Delete

.