my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Punicalagins? yes, that's a GOOD thing!

For the past few weeks, it's been Pomegranate Time in our house!!! I love 'em. They make a great snack while watching videos or TV programs on the computer through Hulu or CBS, NBC. But for some it's getting to the seeds that is a chore. Well, my mom, bless her heart, taught me a simple way of extracting the edible seeds without making pomegranate juice spray all over the house. It's a 99% sure fire way of getting to the good stuff without much mess!!

After filling a large bowl about half full of water [depending on the size of the fruit], you then:




with a sharp utility knife, trim a thin slice off the top and bottom so you can get your knife into the meat of the fruit


then, going through only the skin and fibrous membranes, slice the whole fruit into quarters, making sure you do NOT go through the entire fruit. Place the whole nicked pomegranate into the bowl filled with water and break into four pieces. Then, as you scrape the seeds from the inside of the fruit, the SEED will sink to the bottom of the bowl...


...while the fibrous debris will float to the top of the water's surface.
swipe your hand as a cup and scoop up the debris from the water.

With a colander, pour the pomegranate seeds - and water- into the colander to drain.

Store the seeds in an air tight container and chill.



...they're great, sweet-tart, and juicy!! I've sprinkled them on top of tossed salads, added them to fruit salads, and heck....the BEST way is just to munch on them and let the juices drizzle as they burst with flavor with every bite. Yes, the entire seed is edible. And oh so good. They're expensive as far as produce is concerned in comparison to other fruits and veggies at the store, but definitely worth every cent and more.


_ _ _

Compounds found only in pomegranates called punicalagins are shown to benefit the heart and blood vessels. Punicalagins are the major component responsible for pomegranate's antioxidant and health benefits. They not only lower cholesterol, but also lower blood pressure and increase the speed at which heart blockages (atherosclerosis) melt away.

Recent medical research studied heart patients with severe carotid artery blockages. They were given an ounce of pomegranate juice each day for a year. Not only did study participants' blood pressure lower by over 12 percent, but there was a 30 percent reduction in atherosclerotic plaque. read more

Ruby Tuesday2

40 comments :

  1. Well that is ultra cool! I have never even SEEN a pomegranate (I even had to look to make sure I spelled it right). I wonder if they have them at the grocery store here. If I can keep it on my feeble brain, I will look next time I go. I could use some blood pressure lowering so I can get off the diuretic they have me on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are in season late Fall to mid Winter.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. ...Hi, Denise! How are you today?

      Delete
  3. It's a good thing they are so yummy, because they are a pain to prepare! I haven't had one in years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, they are time consuming, but oh so good. BTW...after reading your post yesterday...Bud and I had to go to 'two guys'. LOL

      Delete
  4. Very informative post and great photos ~

    (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Carol, and glad to have you stop by to visit.

      Delete
  5. I am heading out to get some today! I love them but didn't know exactly how to eat them either. Thanks for the great tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a task well worth getting to the seed.

      Delete
  6. Wow! I've never had a pomegranate, and I don't think they even sell them around here. Sounds like they should though, if they are yummy and good for you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try and find 'em Mari.

      Delete
  7. What an informative post,,,,I'm going to try and find some next time I'm in town. You've made those seeds sound very inviting. So glad I found you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hope you find one and try it...
      Thanks for coming over and paying me a visit today.

      Delete
  8. Pretty fancy method - see I'd much rather have blood umm pomegranate spatter all over my desk at work! LOL I love them and have just about finished my first Costco case of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they stain like blueberries. Too much work to get off the counter and clothes.

      Delete
  9. I'm goingto look for them here in Vegas as well. I'm usre I can find the juice at least.
    Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, there is juice of this fruit, bottled.

      Delete
  10. My all-time favorite fruit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love 'em too, 'bout the end of August, I'm beginning to crave 'em.

      Delete
  11. Hi Anni this is excellent information. I always wondered just how to do that we just starting seeing fresh Pomegranate in our stores over the last 5 or 6 years.

    Hugs Madi and Mom
    PS Mom is about to send you an email with the info you need

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. enjoy those 'poms' you bought yesterday.

      Delete
  12. My photo for last week's Ruby Tuesday was a pomegranate still on the tree --- and a previous post included a You Tube depicting your method of recovering the delicious seeds --- it never occurred to me to resurrect the directions when I posted the photo last week. (to self: duh!!). Thank you for the reminder in this ingenious method. It makes it sooooo much easier!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's the best way in my opinion.

      Delete
  13. I don't think i ever had one. It looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...in my opinion, they are. I just wish they'd be 'in season' year 'round.

      Delete
  14. This is really neat Anni. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am going to have to try this out. I have never even eaten one. This is all new to me!!

    As always your photography is wonderful!

    Happy RT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...if you try one, I am almost certain, you'd like 'em.

      Delete
  16. Well, I knew pomegranates are good for you, but I didn't know about the plaque!!! They are really in season now here and the big bins in the grocery store are so pretty!!! So are the seeds the only part you can eat?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Believe it or not I've never had one. You sure made it sound good though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would almost guarantee you'd like one if you ever try it.

      Delete
  18. That looks good. I love pomegranates.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2013/01/wordless-wednesday-drivers.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that makes two of us. ;o)

      Delete
  19. What a great method to get the seeds out!

    Sounds like a healthy snack. I must try.

    Thanks for stopping by. Glad you liked the "owl."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did...that was really great Patti.

      Delete
  20. Nice one Anni. I have know bout the health bennies of this fruit for a while. The juice works better for me as I have no skill to fight the fruit! My sister however has a device of some kind for doing this and when I was home for Christmas we had some tasty seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're good the seeds!! And so is the juice. LOL [in a pinch]

      Delete

.