...beginning October 1st thru October 31st...


THIS WEEK at I'd Rather B Birdin'
-photos of-


AMERICAN BITTERN

click on bird name[s] to view them
and read a bit of trivia about them!!
...............Hope to see you there!..............

TAKE NOTE:
My photos are Lightbox enabled! Just click on one...then, continue clicking on enlarged photos!




Blowin' in the Wind...


Hibiscus stamen [taken on a very windy day - kinda blurry!]




CONNECTING TO:
studio waterstone



_ _ _


MONDAY MORSELS


I wasn't online much this past weekend...busy, feeling under par, and trying to catch up on house work...Speaking of "Blowin' in the Wind"... Y'all know by now, if you follow me and my blogging, that our Hurricane Season begins historically on June 1st of each year and ends November 30th....six month season. Typically in our area, tho there have been some devastating storms earlier, most of the stronger hurricanes arrive in the Gulf in late August...running from September through October. Studying so much in the near decade we have lived here on the Gulf of Mexico coast, I now know a bit more, I can read the maps of storms coming off the shores of West Africa and, not to brag, but I can usually guess quite closely, where the storm will head by the direction of the winds --- the formation of the hurricane's eye, the location of where it comes OFF the African coast, and our OWN Gulf Water Temperature. The warmer the water is at our shoreline, there is always a strong possibility that a storm from Africa can come in through the straits of Florida or farther south below Cuba --- entering the Gulf of Mexico. Over the years I've also began to follow the water temperature!!! Altho, again historically, a storm can occur oftentimes against all scientific predictions, but when the Gulf water temperature drops below 80 degrees [some scientists say 26 degrees Celsius which converts to approximately 78.8 degrees]...then, the strong threat of hurricanes forming ceases to exist. Of course, I would also have to take into consideration the jet streams, the El Nino vs. La Nina, and the air's temperature. Hurricanes need all those factors, factored in to make a scenario for a tropical cyclone to form. The last two summers the formation has been nearly nixed here in the Gulf. But, I know our time will come soon enough, the odds and weather history/patterns will repeat. It's been a few weeks since I have been concerned in diligently watching the storms...since Isaac. He was at one time predicted to head right for the Coastal Bend then turned sharply to the north to hit Louisiana and New Orleans. I also know that, as I stated just above, there is still a chance of a hurricane forming in our area...there is still positively two more months of a high chance. Tho storms have hit here in the Gulf Region in November, historically they are quite weakened...nothing close to a category 5. Anyway, what I'm getting at here in my morsels for this week is, in the last two weeks, since I followed Isaac and today the Gulf Water Temperature has dropped from 86 degrees to 81.9 as I type this little blog...this drastic, quick drop in the water's heat index is promising to look at for this 2012 season.

from the US NODC [National Oceanic Data Center]

34 comments:

  1. Great image. Such vibrant colour and lovely pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...great. glad you liked it lorik.

      Delete
  2. What a colorful stamen! Glad to hear of the temperature drop - hope you are right in your predictions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mari...glad you're back with us....how was your family time?

      Delete
  3. I hope you are right...and I keep my fingers crossed for our area too! The temps have dropped pretty quickly here, so we are hoping we are out of the woods. We haven't really had a bad one here since Isabel in 2003 (at least I think that was when it was), so we are "due" one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whooohooo!!! This coming week, all week, the lows are predicted down into the 60s!!! Great days ahead for temps.

      Delete
  4. Lovely image, Anni! We have not had any serious storms here this year, yet. I hope you are able to squeak by and have a calm year. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your day is a great one too Eileen, and ... thanks.

      Delete
  5. I am hoping that things stay calm in your area. I am not sure what cooler water temps have to do with no hurricanes but if cooler is better than bring it on. We are starting to have some cooler weather up north here where I live. I am sure going to miss the summer though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting facts, Anni. And I guess you are now qualified to work for the Weather Channel! You know more than they do, it seems. Thanks for the information, and I hope you're right about that water temperature. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...well, I don't think so, but you keep thinkin' that way. LOL

      Delete
  8. Nice shots- hoping for a nice weather change here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....y'all in ARK....you're probably getting soaked to the bones 'bout now.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful picture you show Anni.
    Wish you a good day / good new week :)
    Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anni we hope you are back up to par this week....sometimes mind and body just need a nap. Oh we are hoping hurricane season is coming to an end on the East coast too.
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks M&M....I think I overdid it on the wood polishing...sore legs, sore arm muscles. That'll teach me to NOT clean house. LOL

      Delete
  11. Praying for you to feel much better, love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you sweet thing!!!!

      Delete
  12. Take time and get rest ^_^


    Kim,USA

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought you were going to do a song for us. I hope you get few hurricanes this season. We are getting a lot of RAIN! Love your photo. sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....oh palllleeeeze....give us some of that rain.

      Delete
  14. What an intersting post! We don't have hurricanes and tornados in our area, but my word we had the mother of all storms on Saturdy night! Haven't had one of those in a long time. There were branches and leaves, stones and debris lying all over the next morning. Oh, and of course, there were numerous traffic lights out of order, causing chaos in the traffic this morning. Such a beautiful colour is that hibiscus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Oh I can relate, it's like no one knows the laws of the road. Stop....look both ways...go.

      Delete
  15. I was thinking the same thing Chatty Crone was. I first thought of the song Blowing in the Wind. Haven't heard that one in a long time.
    Glad to hear your temperatures dropped. Hope your predictions are accurate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...me too. I was just being overly scientific today....now I've calmed down a bit.

      Delete
  16. Well, hello there stranger. You should be a meteriologist. I love weather. It always facinates me. Of course, we don't have any hurricanes around here, but we do get remenants from them sometimes. We did get a bit of rain from Isaac. Was so thankful for the rain we did get from him, as it has been so dry here this Summer. We got some slow steady rain here on Saturday and again today. Cooler temperatures are gonna be here as well. I started back blogging last night. A friend of mine on Facebook told me that he enjoyed reading my posts on there and told me I should blog. Well, I decided to do just that. I am going to try and do a post each evening or at least every other evening. It's about to get busy, busy around here. Take care and I really enjoyed your post. Take care my friend.

    Karen H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. {{{Karen}}} My goodness....I fell on the floor seeing you had paid me a visit!! So you're back to blogging again!?!!! Wonderful.

      Delete
  17. Still beautiful though a bit blurry.

    Visiting from MYM- hope you can you stop by..

    http://cassandrasminicorner.blogspot.com/2012/09/mellow-yellow-monday-all-about-yellows.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. A superb view, wonderful colours. I am greeting

    ReplyDelete

.