my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


A BIRDSEYE VIEW...spoonbills, white pelicans & herons on the bay...










CONNECTING TO:




- - -


HODGEPODGE


1. In your opinion what's the most important job in the world? Oh, and parenting is a given so besides parenting, what's the most important job in the world? I would have to say teacher. But not necessarily, in general, one who conducts their skills in a classroom filled with students...the student must show interest in what is being taught. Oftentimes teachers, or professors, teach one certain subject and not what is needed in life/living - by that, that I just typed, I mean, the teacher's viewpoint on some subjects is NOT always the right way/thought/teaching. A teacher could be considered one who teaches a co-worker, or trains someone to take over a certain position, a drill instructor in the military teaching survival skills, a teacher could be anyone who has knowledge that will help expand on living, or a counselor who assists you in ways of life. A preacher or a priest or a philosopher could also be considered one who teaches, my Catechism comes to mind...

2. Share a favorite or not so favorite memory from a childhood birthday. Birthdays, when I was a youngster, was not much more than a birthday cake and ice cream. But it was always a special, homemade cake, of our choice. I remember one year, I asked for a peppermint candy cake...and it was delicious. All pink and swirled with marbleized peppermint flavored/vanilla flavored batter; light-as-air cake!!! And it was topped with pink peppermint flavored icing, drizzled with thin vanilla icing so it would 'ooze' over the top and down the sides of the cake then topped with crushed peppermint candies!!

3. Peanut butter-crunchy or smooth? I guess it'd have to be smooth.  Well, wait....another peanut butter concept is  COOKIES!!  Warm right out of the oven home-made peanut butter cookies.  If it were this, cookies, I could use either crunchy OR smooth.

4. William Butler Yeats is credited as saying, "Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing." Your thoughts? Yes, what I interpret this as meaning...if your life is stagnant, you're bored and at a standstill without much happiness.

5. What's something that makes you cringe? War photos for one. Liars, mistreatment and cruelty to animals, wasted food....so many things.

6. Name a song that always puts you in a good mood? The difference in a 'good mood' could be elation, happy thoughts, patriotic... The National Anthem and hearing it while I watch Old Glory dancing in the breeze...Old Time Rock and Roll gets my adrenaline coursing through my viens and I want to kick up my heels...Welcome to My World was a song Bud and I chose as "our song" long ago and still to this day warms my heart...too many songs put me in a good mood, I could go on and on.

7. The answer is yes. What's the question? LOL....this is kinda a fun, different question, I like it!! Okay, my first thought was "Are you Anni"...kinda like the first question of a lie detector test. rofl

8. Insert your own random thought here. Well, since the very first question was read today, my mind went back to the 'teachers' in my early life ---as a student in a classroom environment, before I went out into the world to make my own way.... Mr. Williams, English Grammar teacher...he made grafting sentences fun and for my entire life, I still know the difference between a noun, an adjective, adverb, and a verb and that to speak properly...don't end a sentence with a preposition --for instance, "Where are you going to?" In proper English ... it should be "To where are you going?" Or "Him and me went to the store"...it should in all correctness be "He and I went to the store". And it's a simple rule for which pronoun to use ---Just use ONE pronoun and you'll know you're right...i.e./ HE went to the store...I went to the store...NOT Him went, or Me went!!! Mr. Webb...a Biology teacher...he made the mammal, a bat, one of the most adored, interesting creatures around. Did you know that their wings are like kid glove leather? So soft!!! [He took a few of us on a spelunking expedition in the summer once and we all learned about the bat at that time...one of the most memorable times associated with science]. Then, there was Mrs. Sanderson...she taught High School Literature. She made learning Shakespeare a worthy subject. Mrs. Green...I remember her from long ago, toiling over me in my 3rd Grade class....trying to have me improve my 'cursive' skills. Today, I have digressed back to my sloppy handwriting, but I recall once I caught on to what she wanted me to do, she always used my cursive papers as a "this is the way your writing should look students, like Anni's". Miss Beale gave me the opportunity to show interest in 'acting skills' by giving me parts in school plays year after year. Then, there are Mr. Lopez...Spanish, Mr. Kasparek...French...Mr. Smith, Chemistry, Mr. Stovall...arts and not to leave out Mr. So and So...I can still picture his face but can't recall his name at this given moment...without him, I would not be TYPING this random thought. [He also taught me Shorthand which I can still do]. Oh ya, and as stated above, parents are teachers....if it weren't for my mom, I'd not know diddly squat about housekeeping, cooking, crocheting, being a wife and mother....and my dad...he taught me driving skills [even manual transmissions]...and gardening, nature interests living in the foothills of the Colorado Rockies, different birds, and that hunting for sport is wrong....yep, and I know how to change spark plugs and drain oil...change a tire ...all thanks to his teachings.  Of course when it all boils down to one idea of learning...LIFE is the best teacher.


CONNECTING TO:

78 comments :

  1. Another great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pictures today - just stunning! That peppermint cake sounds wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow so many pelicans!! Great series :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, it was a sight.

      Delete
  4. Great to see huge flocks of birds like that and beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Mick. I was so surprise myself to see so many.

      Delete
  5. Wow, awesome birds and I loved your photos. The spoonbills are one of my favorites. I would love to see one up close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're such an odd bird, that makes them even more beautiful.

      Delete
  6. I'm impressed with the bird conference held by the bay! Beautiful photos! Your hodgepodge did bring back memories of some excellent, patient, kind and encouraging teachers this immigrant girl from Germany had! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, teachers do put a mark on our lives, don't they?

      Delete
  7. ROFL I do hope you've picked yourself off the floor by now??? lol Wait, maybe you've fallen again because this is my second visit in one day! hehe

    Such beautiful photos you share with us again today. I'm telling you, Anni, I'm just about ready to move in with you so that I can go on these seashore walks with you!! lol

    Enjoyed reading your answers to the questions and I so agree with you, LIFE is the best teacher! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Pea, and yep, LIFE is most definitely here for us to learn all we can.

      Delete
  8. Hi, Just wanted to drop by and say HELLO. It's been a busy week/month --and just gonna get busier.

    Great pictures of the birds.... I love reading your answers to those questions.. I agree about teachers. There are 'teachers' and then there are REAL teachers. Such a difference... I have a friend who is on tenure and still teaching --until she can retire.. She hates kids and hates teaching... I can only believe that she is truly a terrible teacher... Teachers who are REAL teachers are those who LOVE teaching and are passionate about it... I never cared much for History --UNTIL I had a GOOD teacher... I fell in love with history that year.. He was AWESOME....

    I love creamy peanut butter ---and pb cookies are AWESOME. I also love PB Pie..... YUM....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...enjoy your blogging hiatus Betsy.

      Delete
  9. Nice pictures you show Anni.
    Funny that you also show heron.
    Wish you a good day :)
    Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photographs, fantastic birds. Admiring such views is very joy. I am greeting

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wunderschön liebe Anni, im Moment setze ich mal aus, hab noch so viel andere Fotos zu zeigen.

    LG Mathilda ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the photos - I have never seen the spoonbills in the wild - only in the zoo! And your hodgepodge made me think about all my teachers...what a trip down memory lane! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...memories of days gone by are always [well, almost] good ones.

      Delete
  13. Answered #1 almost the same (hum...) Enjoyed your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmmm, 'they' say GMTA, right?

      Delete
  14. Nice to see that you have got involved with "International Heron Day" - its not well known, but it is growing!

    I also like the answer to you first question - but I could be a bit biased!

    thanks for the linking on WBW

    Stewart M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...LOL, I didn't even KNOW it was National Heron Day. Learn something from you every time you visit.

      Delete
  15. Your pictures were beautiful! And oh, now I want peanut butter cookies! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I hope I visited with you during the meme 'exercise'...'cause when I clicked on your name just now, there was no profile to link me to your blog.

      Delete
  16. Those are beautiful birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad to know you enjoyed them Pat.

      Delete
  17. Wow!! I haven't seen flocks like that even here in Florida!!! Nice shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in shock to see so many myself!!!

      Delete
  18. Great birds...nice to see all of them in one place!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan...it's been a while, glad you stopped by to visit.

      Delete
  19. As always lovely lovely bird photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for visiting AND hosting the Hodgepodge Joyce.

      Delete
  20. Your birds around where you live are so stunning! I love the pink ones especially. I had to laugh at some of your answers, Anni. Yes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I'm glad to know you got a kick out of some of my answers...it's always good to laugh.

      Delete
  21. I always enjoy seeing your photos! I can't fathom anyone who could abuse an animal...or a person! I just don't get it...and never will.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Now that sounds like a birthday cake! What a wonderful tradition. And your pictures are truly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Cherie, hope you had a good birthday.

      Delete
  23. Wow, that's a lot of birds! And those flamingo seem to be just posing themselves for the camera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...umm, they're spoonbills. In fact, I have not seen flamingos here in the wild.

      Delete
  24. What amazing flocks and how great you got to photograph them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed the photos LindyLou

      Delete
  25. No body else is posting white pelicans - they're all there! :)
    Wonderful shots!
    I had many good teachers growing up - I think that's why I became one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....there WERE a lot of them congregating on the little island in the bay.

      Delete
  26. I love your teacher memories. They sure do make a difference. Especially the great ones.
    Your peppermint birthday cake sounds wonderful. Peppermint is my favorite, and I like a little chocolate with it. Mmmmm...
    Thanks for stopping by, and have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...enjoyed your visit here with me Susan, thanks for coming over.

      Delete
  27. Hodge Podge hopping right before lunch....Peanut Butter cookies definitely sounds like a great type of peanut butter! And the peppermint cake sounds outstanding! YUM

    And now I'm going to make some soup...and a peanut butter sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you can't beat soup and sandwich for ANY meal.

      Delete
  28. Yep people still crack knuckles from time to time. ;/ Peanut butter cookies sure are good! I need to make a new batch soon it's been a while ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...wow, I think you're right tho, that DOES make anyone cringe. At least I'd think so.

      Delete
  29. Love you photos. Teacher is a great answer for #1. Also like your answer for the National Athem. There is a Christian song I love called "Shout to the Lord" which always makes me happy. (Did you know you are a no-reply, I could not comment back to your comment) Thank you for stopping over today.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the Herons - never seen so many all together before. Your Hodgepodge post is such fun - I also like the National Anthem - yours and ours :) But "Favourite Things"from the Sound of Music is one that ALWAYS makes my heart sing - reminds me of my Mummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh I like that song also Janet.

      Delete
  31. what beautiful pictures....it must be a most relaxing time when you are able to walk near water and see such beautiful birds.

    We're all ready for TTS tomorrow.
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....and I so enjoyed your theme.

      Delete
  32. WOW you had some amazing teachers! I also hate war photos, they hurt my soul that we humans can be so mean to other humans. Welcome to my world; a great song for couples. What fun and thoughtful answers today.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Enjoying your bird shots and writings :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Once I saw a convention of blue herons way up NORTH; but no camera handy. I really enjoyed your post this week. Mixed bird convention happening?
    Joyce M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....as long as there is no politicking that I can overhear, I'll sit and watch this kind of convention any ol' day.

      Delete
  35. It's hard to imagine this amount of wildlife right next to a large commercial building and a big parking lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The buildings you see beyond the bay waters is part of the Texas A&M Campus.

      Delete
  36. Good to see so many birds great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  37. These birds look so wonderful in their water world! Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I don't see many birds like this here in my area. I think because I have not done any birding yet. But love to see this creature they are beautiful!

    Water World Wednesday

    ReplyDelete

.