my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


nature...one way or another, a long story---

When I was just a youngster in Nebraska, even before my parents relocated to Colorado and I grew up in the foothills of the state, I could barely walk back then, but in the summer, I'd snitch the salt shaker from the kitchen, and waddle out to the vast crop of tomato plants and sit myself down on the muddied ground, pulling off the barely ripened tomatoes and just munch away, juice dribbling down my chin and onto my dress. My mom always used to tell me [a family lore] that when I couldn't be found around the yard, playing or in my room...she knew just where to find me! Yep, I loved the home grown tomatoes. And I have never tired of their taste. In fact around June of each year in my entire six decades, the hankering begins to grow within me and I need a tomato-fix!!! Now, over the years, my father, once we moved to Colorado, bought a large piece of ground adjacent to the house....he worked diligently over the next few seasons, planting an orchard of cherries, peaches, pears, apricots and apples. Along one fence he had grape vines. And in between all this, in the more protected area of the land, he planted vegetables. It was a family of five at that time...my two older brothers had left for serving the country at the end of the Korean War, and eventually married and started their own families. It was just mom and dad, my older brother, my sister and me. But, he had enough to feed the entire neighborhood once the 'harvesting' began each season. Yes, he even had enough tomatoes, even after mom would freeze and can the entire summer, to disperse to the lucky ones living next to us and around us. He never sold anything....he always gave from his heart. By the time I married, he was still tending to his acreage, and we could expect a 'care package' now and then from his garden. And he'd always save and make sure I had enough tomatoes to satiate my craving!!! Once I even had Bud spade up a small parcel in our own back yard and I planted tomatoes of course....they never did do as well as my dad's. He chewed tobacco, and mom wouldn't allow that stuff in her house---so, out to the garden he'd chew and spit. That too is a family lore --- his chewing and spitting on the plants made them grow much better than any one garden around town. Eventually, he passed on and I became quite disinterested in gardening. We retired to Arizona and all I could grow there were desert plants with success. Then, becoming tired of the desert summer heat and the day after day of white hot skies, we changed our minds about desert living [I still miss the desert landscape tho at times]....we ended up near the beach. The soil here in Texas isn't the best for tomatoes unless you add a lot of sand....neither one of us wants to tear up our flowers that we worked on to make a beautiful yard. So, each summer when that magical time of year rolls around, when my system drools for a home grown tomato, I grab the keys each weekend from May [tomatoes can be set out in MARCh around here] to August ---and buy those luscious beautiful red fruits. And yep, when I get home at the Farmer's Markets....I still grab the salt shaker. Sea Salt now.






_ _ _





For Tina's Picstory Challenge this week, it's the letter "H". Sunday morning we went out for a breakfast at a Texas known eatery; one of the clean ones. Taquerias....they're found all over the state of Texas. In fact, we have dozens of them around town. Most are quite grubby so we don't frequent those. Who in their right mind would care to dine with cockroaches? Not me. Anyway, after our Mexican breakfast, Huevos Rancheros, we hopped in the car and drove to one of our favorite birding areas. We spent some time there, just watching the activities. At that time of day, and low tide, we spotted white pelicans, seagulls, terns, a few spoonbills, egrets, a juvenile night heron and Bud enjoyed watching through the binoculars, a great blue heron with it's own breakfast, a fish [which you can see in the image to the right...the heron is in the background, and its breakfast is atop the water near his beak]. When we left that area, we drove around to the back side of the bay near the naval air station and parked to walk a short distance around the trail. Mostly Herons were spotted. And, a few Black Necked Stilts... By the bay side near the naval air station, Bud sat down and enjoyed watching the fisherman and birds on one of the park benches, while I walked back along the trail with my camera ready. At first, it was a cloudless day again, Hot and sultry. It didn't take long to work up a sweat without much exertion...but a Heady storm front was moving in; vigorously moving clouds began to cast a darkness overhead!!! Once the sun was Hidden behind the cloud bank, the temperature dropped by a few degrees instantly. A relief. I walked just a few yards before I came upon the first of many Handsome and well-kept gazebos for those who like to stop and just drink in the views of the bay or watch birds. These are Handy for those who bike, jog, walk, stroll. And as I said, there are several along this side of the bay around the area [it's all part of the city's birding trail system...this in particular is on the grounds of the Texas A&M West Campus]. Shaded, lighted at night, and a few down the trail more are camouflaged somewhat by sea grass and live oak ---still offering a view of the water front. It's an area that offers birders a goodly chance of seeing some great water fowl and shore birds. This is the area we spotted and watched a lone Wood Stork dine along the tidal basin of the bay waters!! The trail is paved and well lighted at night for those who wish to get their exercise after working hours, not too much of a challenge with hilly incline...but curvy and following the shore line. Sunday morning, I was alone on the path and saw no others, except for mostly Herons. They watched me as I watched them!!!










Storm Update:  Looks like my prediction of Ernesto is to be way off!!  I had it making landfall around Rockport Texas...well, after he leaves the Yucatan Peninsula of Old Mexico, he's gonna turn to the west and make landfall along the Eastern Coast of Mexico; not even coming close to USA ---so, no rain for us....again!!!





CONNECTING TO:

30 comments :

  1. That's a sweet tomato story. Oh..but those water birds make the trade off...good for farmers markets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed my wordy post today Mary.

      Delete
  2. I love tomatos with salt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that makes two of us Denise.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic photographs, beautiful birds. I am greeting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...happy to have you for company today. And, thanks for the compliments.

      Delete
  4. So sorry you are not going to get the rain, but glad you were spared the storm part! We got so much rain last night that we had water in our back garage - AGAIN! Swept and vacuumed about 75 gal. of water out. Oh well, not the first time! Those tomatoes look so good - my dad did the same thing. Always planted so many, and always planted yellow ones for me too because he knew I loved them. I miss him - and not just for his yummy garden produce! Thanks for the memory this morning. (Dan's surgery was moved to today - 9:30 - I will certainly sleep better once it is done!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know just what you're talkin' about. The anxieties will keep anyone awake for days. Glad to hear that the outpatient surgery is taking place this morning. Good luck to Dan.

      Delete
  5. That tomato story is a good one. I can just see you heading out to the tomatoes with salt shaker in hand. Tomatoes on the vine are the best. The heirloom tomatoes at the market here are so good, but so expensive, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....looking through my crystal ball....."I predict that just about anything in the near future will be 'so expensive'!!!"

      Delete
  6. There is nothing like home grown tomatoes! Love the story. You got some great heron shots too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you bet....I so agree about home grown tomatoes. There is just no gettin' 'round it....they're the BEST.

      Delete
  7. I LOVE tomatoes when they are not spoiled. Love the birds too. sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tomatoes are the BEST fruit around.

      Delete
  8. They look sweet! Happy RT2.

    Mine's here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My friend has the market agency for tomatoes and gets them from a huge farm in Mpumalanga in SA called ZZ2 - they are awsome and they farm the most delicious baby tomatoes - perfect for a summer salad. You'd love them - my hubby loves them too and says they're "good for the prostrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if it tastes good, and consumed in moderation, it has to be healthy, right?

      Delete
  10. Let me add to that! I have just been listening to a dr who talks on our local talk show on the radio, Prof Seftel - he confirms that the antioxidents in tomatoes are in fact, good for fighting cancer, so there seems to be some truth in that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...there ya' go....your wisdom is compounded by the radio host.

      Delete
  11. I love a fresh tomato off the vine! Your story is so lovely. Your dad was quite the gardener! It has been a while since I came over. Good to see you Anni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I'm glad you stopped by for a visit Anne.

      Delete
  12. Those "moisturized" tomatoes certainly look appealing!

    Shortcut to Sunrise

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to love picking tomatoes from my grandfather's garden and sprinkling a little salt on them and eat away. Can't do the sodium now. Sorry to hear you are not getting any rain but at least you are stocked on supplies in case a storm turns bad later on!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a similar tomato memory of hiding under a neighvor's tomato bushes when I was five and eating her tomatoes with a friend. Ever since I've loved them. You make me homesick for Texas. Port Aransas is my favorite place to go in Texas which is a 7 hour drive from Ft. Worth. I love Rockport, too. I'll be there for sure this year. I'm so gald I stumbled across your blog. xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny....nice to meet you.

      Delete
  15. Those tomatoes look yummy and make a great photo too! The birds are interesting as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely story of your youth. Thanks for sharing, Anni.

    BTW, Anmi, there's guy living in Cebu who was able to grow tomatoes as asweet as cherries. He sells them for 200 pesos a kilo, regular price for tomatoes here is 60 pesos a kilo. His customers are mainly the chefs of fine dining restaurants.

    Cheers!

    Tito Eric of Panglao Island
    http://turningboholano.blogspot.com/2012/08/zadig-by-voltaire.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my.....what a profit he makes.

      Delete

.