my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




green...


ARTIST: Muppets [Kermit the Frog]
TITLE: It's Not Easy Being Green
Lyrics:


It's not that easy being green
Having to spend each day the color of the leaves

When I think it could be nicer being red, or yellow or gold

Or something much more colorful like that

It's not easy being green

It seems you blend in with so many other ordinary things
And people tend to pass you over 'cause you're
Not standing out like flashy sparkles in the water
Or stars in the sky

But green's the color of Spring

And green can be cool and friendly-like
And green can be big like an ocean, or important
Like a mountain, or tall like a tree

When green is all there is to be
It could make you wonder why, but why wonder why
Wonder, I am green and it'll do fine, it's beautiful





photo credits:  A green anole [lizard] on a hibiscus bush in our yard the other day...different angles as he tried to escape from my view ---I love the 2nd image especially since it shows us their ability to change color, quite like the well-know Chameleons.






CONNECTING TO:



_ _ _

Just some thinking 'out loud' mostly here:

Should we continue with this meme or not? I'm wondering if y'all feel uncomfortable about it. In the recent past, there has been an issue of copyrights. In question of copyrighted song lyrics as I've posted at the beginning of the ThemeSong meme site... and using lyrics on a website such as blogger blogs and others, I've been doing some more research along with others, finding this...

The fact is that republishing a song's lyrics in its entirety is a violation of the copyright[s] of the song's owner. Fair use only applies when a brief section of the lyrics have been quoted for as part of editorial comment on the song. It does not matter whether the republishing is for profit (e.g. AdSense site) or not for profit (e.g. Wikipedia) the republishing of the entire lyrics of a song does not fall under fair use.

Also, another thought that crossed my mind while doing some legal research at the library the other day, in regards to copying lyrics, words, quotations, etc....without permission of the said owner and other copyright laws, my question: then WHY is Google [and Google Reader especially] allowed to take a page from our blogs and when you go and do a Google Search for say..."Hootin' Anni's" ---my page comes up as a link AND the most recent post in their archives shows, with MY text?!!! And it's just NOT the free blogs either...Google Reader posts privately owned blogs and their text!! I have several privately owned domains [ones that bloggers PAY for] in my url listing of blogs I follow with Google Reader. Now, to me [being able to read their blogs from my listed sites through the reader]... that is more of a copyright infringement than those of us who post partial lyrics --- Google has not been granted permission by blog owners per sé - a legal document signed by both blog owner AND Google ---yet, Google makes a profit?!!!!! On another token of copyrights...anyone is allowed to copy and embed certain videos/songs from YouTube...is that not the same principle? I do know that I just read even tho you're copying and using lyrics, it's NOT theft, but considered an infringement if you use the ENTIRE song. Also, different countries, have different copyright laws when it comes to infringement. That in itself, is a hindrance if you ask me.

But, again, from the onset of the meme, Thursday Themesong", I had posted that at the beginning of the meme main site where you'd link up your photos/theme ---"when in doubt DON'T USE THE SONG!!!" I highly recommend you don't use the ENTIRE SONG [see note at beginning on "Fair Use"] ---there is a link to read if you choose...at the very top of the meme's blog page. Analysis of Fair Use.

But, if you don't want to do this meme any longer, we CAN discontinue it all together. What do you think? I'd appreciate EVERYONE's input. Should we continue?!!!!


22 comments :

  1. That is one very cute lizard.

    I have thought about this but I rarely, if ever, use the full lyrics. If there is a problems with it how do the websites that publish full lyrics to thousands of songs get around it? In some cases the lyrics I use come from the youtube page where I find the video, is it legal for them to publish the lyrics I wonder?

    I will go along with the majority but I would really miss this fun meme each week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...if we stick by just partial lyrics, I think we'll be okay. I enjoy your themesongs each week.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic photographs, beautiful face of the nature. I am greeting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Das sind fantastische Fotos. So einen "Kermit" habe ich noch nie vor die Linse bekommen.

    Hab einen schönen Tag.

    LG Mathilda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your meme is fun, continue on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're too kind Denise....I think I'll continue even if no one else participates in the future...I like doing it.

      Delete
  5. I think, if we do pay attention to your instructions (which you list at the beginning), we should be able to include a verse and chorus, or something, along with the photos. I have also wondered about the YouTube links - I know that one person I follow had hers removed about the Olympics, by the Olympics bosses or something or other. I enjoy the meme, and probably think more about this one than any other I do all week, because it takes thought to find the photos and move them to the appropriate file for publication. Not to mention the search for the perfect song! It is very challenging, but I love it. Wonder if we could get any advice from Blogger? I promise, in the future, to use only a verse and chorus so as to comply. Whatever you want to do is fine with me - I am right there with you! And, I LOVE Kermit! He is the perfect color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...exactly. If we use the common sense we're given, and only the partial sections of songs---we'll do okay.

      Delete
  6. I really like this song, and always can picture Kermit sing when I hear it!
    I say continue - following your guidelines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. around here it's lizards, we rarely have green kermits. LOL Thanks for the input Mari.

      Delete
  7. Hi Anni I needed a little green frog to sing a happy song today. We were supposed to be on our way to visit friends in the NC Mountains today; however, a horrible summer cold jumped on my B and alas we will not be sharing our company or cold with our friends.

    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hope he's feeling better soon.

      Delete
  8. I didn't even think about the copyright infringement issue. I can't see that it hurts anything and nobody is making money off of it, just enjoying the well-known songs. Keep it up until they come to lock us ALL up, Anni! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....it boggles the mind, especially when you think of all the piracy issues and copyright infringements that go on online ----and another thought is the cost of taking things to court would cost more than they're losing by posting a song lyric here and there. At least that's what I think.

      Delete
  9. I don't know why people worry so much about that - you give their name and every one knows who the singer is - it is not easy being green or a blogger some times.
    sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFL....you're witty!!! I LIKE that! Very much.

      Delete
  10. I find some of those laws very hard to understand. I wish they could make them more black and white and leave out the shades of gray. You would think as long as you were providing the artists name it would be ok. Kind of like free advertising for that person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, I agree. I've thought of that aspect also, free advertising!!

      Delete
  11. I wasn't able to participate in the meme this week, it has been a crazy busy week at the office. We have put in a few 12 hour days, haven't had time for anything.
    Your photos of the lizard are great, especially the one that shows the color change. You got closer than I would have to the little critter.
    As for the meme and continuing with it, I enjoy it so much and love the challenge of it. I would be Very disappointed if it were to be discontinued. I will say that recently there have been several discussions in our home regarding copyrights and how with today's technology and use of social media many of the existing laws need to be modified or changed. But then, Lawyers thrive on "grey" areas of the law, a quite touchy subject in my household at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...exactly, I think that copyright laws should be the SAME world-wide.

      Delete

.