my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




Just Skimmin' Along...

I tried, and tried, and TRIED to get a good photo of this particular bird species, but was disappointed in my results. I'll keep attempting to get the perfect one, but for now...I have to settle for these. The birds are most fascinating to watch. And I must say, they flow along the shore so rapidly, they can be easily missed if you're not watching for them!!! They are called Black Skimmers. And I might add appropriately named. As they coast along the edge of the surf, they skim the sandy waters for food. Their mouths are continually opened as long as they're 'skimming' the water's surface. Once they decide to take off from the water, either to go further along the coast or make a turn-about to return again...they then close their mouths...only to open them again when the ritual begins anew. Here is my not so clear images around Whitecap Beach the other day---
















CONNECTING TO:





_ _ _



HODGEPODGE


1. What's something you miss about the 1980's? If you're too young to miss the 80's how about the 90's? Well, let's see, we lived in Colorado still, still working outside the home; not retired. Early 80s both Irene and Erik were home with us...in high school and jr. high school - good times. I miss being around my parents who were still living amongst the living. My first grandson was born in the late 1980s [1989]....holding him in my arms as a babe....sweet sweet memories.

2. Do you have a library card? If so, how often do you visit? Yes....visiting the library occurs about 'once in a blue moon'.

3. What's the secret to success? Accomplishing at what you set your goals ....and striving for more afterward. Don't stop living.  Those who give up, no matter what, are losers and not successful.

4. This is National Backyard Games week...what's your favorite backyard game? Croquet...and yes, we have a set of balls and mallets.  [get your mind out of the gutter, it's CROQUET balls]

5. If I dropped by today what would I find on your coffee table? Two handwoven Mexican mats, a wooden bowl that Erik made in wood shop some 25 years ago, two coasters, a Mexican Clay Cat Planter...that holds our DVD/TV remotes ---and depending on hour of the day you stop by, there just may be a cat lounging ---or oftentimes a bottle of water. But odd thing is -------NEVER coffee!!

6. Do you own a bicycle? When was the last time you rode a bicycle? Is that something you enjoy? Did...but don't now. The last time I rode a bicycle was just before my heart problems began...in Tucson. So, that's about a decade ago.

7. What's your favorite cheese? Wow...do I have a favorite? Well, I love cheese. But let me put it this way...I will pass on bleu or cheese made from goat's milk [too stinky!!]. The rest I'll eat my weight in if given a chance.

8. Insert your own random thought here. My random thought is that I don't have a random thought. My brain isn't in sync with the keyboard today.





CONNECTING TO:

58 comments :

  1. It must be awesome to watch this bird skimming for food! We love Croquet, too! I need to buy a set, our old one is gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun game...I never win, but it's still fun to play.

      Delete
  2. You did really well with the photos, that looks like a very quick bird and quite hard to capture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well....thanks, but for me it was a bit disappointing, I was hoping to zoom in on them, but they moved too quickly.

      Delete
  3. The mexican mats sound pretty! :) lol and we never have coffee on our coffee table, either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it seem odd to have it called a coffee table, when in fact most of them aren't used for that purpose?!! I find it so.

      Delete
    2. I find it odd as well! lol

      Delete
  4. I have some bird pics from a recent beach trip I'm going to try to post in the next day or so. I'm so behind around here.

    Your coffee table decor sounds very southwestern. I love that look but you cannot pull it off in NJ : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to viewing your bird photos!!!!

      Delete
  5. The bird photos were good enough to see them...so that counts in my book! Random thoughts were good too...my random thoughts these days too often involve health issues...not my favorite thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have every right to think randomly as you do...you've gone through a tremendous ordeal the past month!!! As for the birds...ya, you can 'see' them, but they moved too fast for me to zoom in on them.

      Delete
    2. Need your help - I am thinking about taking over hosting a Wordless Wednesday meme...don't have a clue how to go about it...what do you think?

      Delete
  6. Pretty pictures. There would never be coffee on my table either for I have never had coffee. I hope your having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your bird/beach pictures...nice shots! No coffee on my table, either. That's one thing I've never acquired a taste for. Now, chocolate...that's a whole different ballgame! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya baby!!!-------Chocolate. Rich, dark, chocolate!!!

      Delete
  8. That is funny...a coffee table with no coffee! You always make me smile when I read your answers! The pictures of the skimmer are amazing!! Happy Hodgepodge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...same to you, happy hodgepodge day Bobbi.

      Delete
  9. That next to last picture is really good, Anni. I think you did great to get such good shots. And I also love your answers. I am thinking about getting a bicycle again. I had one in Boulder but haven't ridden one for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like one, but the streets around here are too narrow and dangerous to ride a bike, and I have no bike rack on the car to take it somewhere to a park or bike trail.

      Delete
  10. It's hard to catch that image you want until you're catching another one and the first one comes into view, isn't it. It must be a "Murphy" thing. ;) Love the shots of the surf. I can almost hear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, the gentle wave or the pounding surf is soooooo relaxing for me. I feel a calm.

      Delete
  11. Seems like these birds loves skimming. ^_^

    1. 1980's I was in High school and college.
    2. I have a library card but don't use it.
    3. Go on with life no matter what. ^_^
    4. The backyard games that I know of (Philippines) is playing badminton.
    5. I think my bible. I do not put coffee on the coffee table hehe.
    6. Never own a bicycle. My last rode was when I was in 4th grade. But I would love to own one for exercise. ^_^
    7. I love cheese. So as long as it does not smell bad I would eat anything. ^_^
    8. Love nature!


    Thanks for joining Water World Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anni I think these photos are pretty darn near perfection!!
    I agree on the blu cheese...if it is stinky it does not get past my sniffer.
    Hugs and Happy Wednesday
    C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ewwwwww, ya, bleu cheese is about as yucky as yucky can get. Kinda like your new mustache! roflmao

      Delete
  13. Those photos have made me pine for the beach (not that it would take much - ha!). If I had a coffee table, there would definitely NOT be any coffee on it ... I can't stand the taste (or smell) of coffee! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....that's the very reason we decided to move closer to the beach....gotta love it.

      Delete
  14. Lake Michigan is close enough to go watch birds but not sure that I have seen the black skimmers. Will need to look closer. Love your bird post. Good enough job in my book!
    Joyce M

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your random thought. I have those often :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh, me too. seems more these days than ever.

      Delete
  16. Eating your weight in cheese? That was me too, I'm afraid. Until my weight in cheese became too much to eat! LOL Now, as opposed to when I lived with my Dad, who always had the best cheeses in the house, my hubby for the most part doesn't like cheese, so I only buy small amounts when I buy it because I'm the only one eating it. That's helped with weight loss!

    I completely agree with your view on success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've really never given myself a chance....I know better.

      Delete
  17. what remarkable action photos of that bird...very cool!!
    your random thought made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've done a great job of capturing these fast-flying birds, Anni. Wonderful colors in that sea and sky too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You and I go to the library about the same amount of time! lol sandie

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a neat bird, and how fun to watch it in action!
    I too go to the library once in a blue moon. I think I should make use of that card more often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me? I read too slow and not often enough to check out a book and bring it home...it takes me WEEKS to read a book. I'd rather get my books at the used book store for cheap and then trade 'em in. Not much spent but pennies on the dollar that way.

      Delete
  21. that is one thing I´d like to see. The skimmers. On top of my wishlist. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to watch those birds. I've never seen one.
      I was reading your answers to the questions and those look like they could be mine especially the one about the brain not being in sync with the keyboard :)

      Delete
    2. Ann....first time I saw one it kinda startled me - they do move FAST.

      Delete
    3. NatureFootstep....they are fascinating to be sure.

      Delete
  22. Replies
    1. Your post makes me hum....all the Guns N Roses songs right now.

      Delete
  23. Lovely shots! I've never seen one of those before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, then, glad you stopped by to find something 'new'.

      Delete
  24. Hi Anni, Great shots of the birds skimming along the water. Love the water also!!!!

    I don't remember too many good things in the '80's. I got a divorce, my brother died from cancer, I was working fulltime and raising 2 of my 3 sons alone... The good things that happened in the 80's were living in New Orleans and having season's passes to the World's Fair. WE also love Mardi Gras. Those were the fun times when my sons were teens.

    I love Badminton --but I also love Croquet... Haven't played either in years. I used to ride a bike but haven't in a long time.

    The only thing I would go to a library for these days would be Genealogy research....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started working on some more genealogy myself this week....my brother in law's family history.

      Delete
  25. Replies
    1. You're back!!! You've been missed.

      Delete
    2. I agree, she has been missed.

      Delete
  26. I think your pictures are pretty good...especially liked the 3rd one. Those waves and the black bird almost looked like a silhouette.

    ReplyDelete

.