my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


'shrooms & fish....no delicacy for me!





The closest I could come to identifying this fungus [is it really a mushroom as the site says?]...would be to name it Dyard's Saddle. Tho it resembles a saddle somewhat, and closely marked as others listed in FLICKR images, I'm just not 100% positive. Heck, I'm not even 5% positive. But I wanted to give it a name, so ---at least I'll call it a tree fungus SADDLE!!! The site to ID fungus and mushroom growth on trees, is here...and it states that this is one of the earliest 'shrooms to evolve in the season [April thru August]. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't' cause these images were taken the last days of March, and things 'pop out' and grow earlier here than most anywhere else in the country. I sure as heck wouldn't see if it was edible!! I'll just take their word for it, and buy mine from the produce section. Pretty in a way, creepy in so many other ways. This was found near a turtle pond that has dried up and much dead wood is found below the boardwalk.





CONNECTING TO:
studio waterstone



- - -


MONDAY MORSELS


A few days ago, we walked the beaches. Going along, I was still in my shoes. As the surf came in, we both continued to walk our mile long trek one way. But when I turned around to head back, I couldn't resist taking off my shoes and get in the water. It was a hot day, the sun was beating down on my shoulder. I hadn't found but a couple of tiger eye snail shells and they were in my bag, wrapped around my wrist. I hooked it on my "D" hook off my cellphone, and began untying my shoes ---carrying them in my hand, I headed toward the water and was put into shock that the water was more cold than I expected. But, it still felt good to get wet, and curl my toes in the soft, wet sand. Walking back...of course I always seem to look DOWN, while Bud is looking out to the horizon. I'm watching my step for broken glass shards and the proverbial jellyfish washing ashore. Along the way, as the surf ebbed, on the residue of the wave and drenched sand, I spied several small [TINY] circular things. The center was glass like while the outer part was hairy and green slime. I was sure this was some type of sea creature!!! After a while, after seeing so many of them, I got the phone out of the case and took a picture of it so I could have me something to 'go by' in my Google research when back home. Downloading the photo from the phone to the computer, I then got out on Google and typed in "tiny green jellyfish". Not much to go on. And I found nothing that even came close. I typed in the only other creature that I could think of "tiny green anemone". All the photos shown for this result gave nothing in terms of helping me know what it was. I then went back and re-typed a search "tiny green jellyfish in the Gulf of Mexico"....I came up with a link to a PDF file from the National Seashore Nat'l Park here on the island. After opening it up...there it was!! Clear as snot on a tissue...THAT'S IT!! It's a Blue Button Jellyfish!!

    Blue Button: Like the Portuguese man-of-war and By-the-wind
    sailor, the Blue button is a colony of organisms that
    drift at the mercy of the wind and currents. It is most
    often a rich blue on top with tentacles that vary in
    color from blue to a bright green. Sometimes the top
    is a golden-brown color. The Blue button has a flat,
    circular gas-filled chamber, which acts as a float. It
    is surrounded by blue-green tentacles that are not
    strong enough to harm humans. The tentacles are
    actually individual zooids, organic cells that can move
    independently within a living organism. Each zooid
    has a specialized function: some digest, others capture
    prey, and some zooids are specialized for reproduction.

    info found here
    Padre Island National Seashore

I'd heard of, and seen, the cabbagehead, the man of war, the by the wind [I have no photo of any I took] and the moon jelly. But this one is new for me!! By the way, the size is not nearly as big as a large concord grape; maybe a 'inth' smaller than the size of a USA dime.

38 comments :

  1. Have a beautiful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aber schön sehen die Baumpilze aus.
    Manche Sorten kann man sogar essen.
    Liebe Grüße und einen schönen Wochenstart.

    Mathilda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never eat something like wild mushrooms right from the 'woods' tho. Have a great week yourself, Mathilda.

      Delete
  3. That mushroom is very different for sure...would not eat one, no sir! I have picked and eaten morel mushrooms when I lived in Michigan though...yummy! As for the jellyfish find - miraculous that you spotted it since it was that small! And that you took the photo - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a lot of those 'blue buttons' that day. After I realized it may be a jellyfish, I was hopping over 'em or...waitin' for them to wash back away from the shore. LOL

      Delete
  4. Importent to know what you eat, specially with mushrooms!
    Great post and photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I for one would not even try.

      Delete
  5. Great finds from you today! That mushroom is very cool and what a neat jelly fish. It's really quite beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess something this odd would have to be pretty in order for us to take notice. Right?

      Delete
  6. Neat looking jellyfish, a Blue Button! I learned something new today. Thanks, Anni! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned right along with you....it was all new to me too.

      Delete
  7. Great find Anni and yes we have that kind of mushroom too. I for sure this is not edible but I would love to do mushroom hunting ^_^ The blue button looks fun to play ^_^

    GoldFinch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't test it...even with a tiny lick....too many fatal experiments with mushrooms. LOL

      Delete
  8. I bet that 'shroom is a fun-gi on a date!!
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. {{{snort}}} love the 'fun gi on a date'

      Delete
  9. I sure have learned something here today. thanks
    I would not eat a 'shroom of any kind but this is neat to look at.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It most definitely would not touch MY lips either.

      Delete
  10. Well, this is totally cool, I'm glad you did not give up the search so we know what it is. Were they all washed up on the beach and dead? How come? The mushroom is unusual, you couldn't pay me enough to taste it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, me too...not enough money in the world to bribe me either.

      Delete
  11. I just learned something new, It makes a pretty pic! It looks blue in your pic, must look green in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say a deep, deep turquoise...kinda green, but more blue.

      Delete
  12. I just snapped some pictures of fungus yesterday. I was out in our back yard and noticed some growing on some of the logs we have in a wood pile back there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you'll share your images soon!

      Delete
  13. That mushroom looks like a fascinating piece of artwork! I don't have the courage to eat mushroom found in the wild - prefer the grocery store myself!! Very interesting info about the blue button jellyfish. Good thing you had your eyes down and you phone ready for photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved reading your a-z this week Karin.

      Delete
  14. What a gorgeous Jellyfish... Can't say that I've ever seen one like that --or even heard of it...

    When we go to the beach in May, we love to get up early and walk the beach checking out what has washed up during the night... Can't wait 'til we get there..

    Gorgeous mushroom.... You do find the most interesting things... Love it!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy!!!! I enjoyed your waterfall image share too.

      Delete
  15. Love the details on the second one!

    Please come and see my Mellow Yellow, when you get a chance. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link you left is broken!!! I can't see it other than the error message from Blogger.

      Delete
  16. Tree fungus or mushrooms, which ever they are can sure grow in odd forms. My first husband was a logger for a while and I would help him sometimes, we would see a lot of fungi growing on the trees.

    The little "Blue Buttons" are interesting. I love watching these creatures of the sea, but am a bit afraid of them. I guess I am that way with most animals, I will watch them and photograph them, but am not one to get too close or to touch them. I enjoyed learning about the Blue Buttons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it of interest!!!

      Delete
  17. The first photo was so interesting I never see that kind before..

    Visiting for MYM- hope you can stop by:)

    http://www.cassandrasminicorner.com/2012/04/mellow-yellow-monday-pooh-backpack.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwwwww, that is so cute for a post!

      Delete
  18. beautiful pictures especially the 2nd one :-) Dropping by from MYM

    http://www.homecookingwithjessy.com/peach-my-new-favorite-ice-cream-flavor/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet peach ice cream is delicious.

      Delete

.