“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






...shadows, scenic sunday, AND our 'new' patio


I see a lot of this 'sport' lately. Well, since the waves and curls are not big here in the Gulf, this one makes more sense than trying to ride the surf like they do in Hawai'i. In fact I get a big 'kick outta' the energy the surfer dudes have down here. It's NOTHING compared to Hawai'i!! Okay...so, the 'new' sport I have witnessed on the water lately is called Paddle Surfing. Looks like fun [if you don't have a fear of water...lol]. What you have is your surf board, and an oar. Like the ones you use for kayaking/row boats....swim out far, get up on your board, and use the oar to ride the waves. Very seldom do the waves get huge around here. so it just seems like a 'brilliant' idea. Here are a couple of Scenic Sunday images...both have paddle surfers [dark figures in the distance -3 paddle surfers in the top photo] and one--who is dressed in a white shirt near the shoreline, is fishin' along with one paddle surfer off to the left ----




...and while walking the beach, I noticed ---trust me, 'gazillions' of what I call 'butterfly shells'. Bud calls them angel wings, I tend to stick with butterflies. They're actually called [from my 'Seashells of the World' book] -coquina shells. [to translate from Spanish...it, coquina, literally means: shellfish]
    page 153..."Wedge Clams are small wedge shaped clams found in the sand of nearly every temperate and tropical beach. There are nearly 50 species, and are edible. The coquina are also known as the 'butterfly shell'. [See there, Bud! Told-ya so!!]


So, I'll share some that I photographed with their shadows, and one image shows you the relative size as I hold several in my hand...







Also, take note that in history, these shells were used for construction of a fort...an historical fort in Florida [still standing]...it withstood many attacks and strikes of cannon balls, etc. Built out of coquina shells!!! Read about it here: CASTILLO SAN MARCOS St. Augustine Florida





CONNECTING TO:
Scenic Sunday





_ _ _


SUNDAY'S SUMMARY

After tearing a picnic table apart piece by piece and saving the good wood to recycle the use...and stacks of large stone...The week was mostly spent outdoors in our yard. After the curing and the refinishing the patio cement flooring, we commenced, making an 'outdoor' room. From stone and wood 'framing'. Friday, we completed the work, and called it done. Well, at least the construction part is finished. Most of the 'decor' is done also. From benches, to plants, to figurines, laying an edge of landscape timbers around the outside edges, [the taller lantern in the circular stone outcropping lights up at night]...etc. I still have plans of purchasing several tiny wind chimes [the real small ones that have just a hint of sound when the wind blows --I don't want anything over powering in sound] that I will place here and there. I also want to add some solar lighting soon. The project as a whole took us about 3 weeks.

Here is the before:




...after






60 comments :

  1. What a creative layout you have both created! I love your little shells and shadows! I am jealous! Usually on my beach I can't find them complete!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are difficult to find most times with both sides of the open shell. But this particular day the beach was filled with 'em. I think it was because it was so early and the tide hadn't played havoc with them yet.

      Thanks for the compliment Gemma.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful beach scenes. It looks like you've made a very nice patio area to enjoy also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...your compliments means a lot to me.

      Delete
  3. I like all your shells and their shadows! I don't think I've seen that many "joined" ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly?........LOVE your shadow shot this week!! PURRfect.

      Delete
  4. Those shells really do look like butterflies! Very cool.
    I love what you did with the patio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari....I know I, for one, love how it turned out. Much better than the old plain cement patio. LOL

      Delete
  5. The clams are opened, I can almost hear them give us instructions to tell the tide to come in early...the patio looks so nice, as does your home - I like the jalousie windows as they close and keep the wind out or that they can stay open in the rain. I'd say, they remind me of cottages on the Jersey shore that had windows like these - perfect for a coastal climate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They call 'em hurricane shutters 'round here. Thanks for visiting and thanks for the compliments Ralph.

      Delete
  6. I've seen the paddle surfers in Malibu and other places off the California Coast when the waters are calm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the in thing to do I think when the waters are so calm.

      Delete
  7. Lovely watery captures. I love the path of light across the water! And such beautiful shells and shadows on the sand, Anni! Delightful post for the day as always! Hope your weekend is going well!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvia...comments like this, coming from you, is true bliss since your shadows are always so terrific.

      Delete
  8. Oh, to walk the beach! Great finds.
    All your hard work at home looks soooo nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan? Thanks...
      BTW...your shadow shot is awesome this week.

      Delete
  9. Love the little shells. I call them "Butterfly" shells too. I have found a couple of them with both sides, but very seldom. I have found the best shells and sea life after high tide. I actually found a whole sand dollar once, but my silly husband (my ex now) put it in with my bag of other shells when he was loading the car to return home and of course, when we got home it was broken.
    The patio looks great!! You and Bud have done a very good job!! I know you will really enjoy being out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bunches LHGal...you made my day.

      Delete
  10. Those clam shells are so tiny...but their shadows are bold and decisive!

    Seeking Clarity—and Shadows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are...and for me, even the shadows are butterfly shaped. LOL

      Delete
  11. Your patio looks beautiful Anni.

    Thank you for your contribution to Shadow Shot Sunday 2!
    Luscious shadows. Have a safe and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love those shells.

    Hope you'd come by and see my Shadows. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A tennis star in the making!!

      Delete
  13. I remember coquina shells from my years growing up in Palm Beach. My mother’s church auxiliary group sold the most beautiful flower arrangement made from the shells. I know the fishermen’s wives would collect them from the beach, but I cannot remember if they made the floral arrangements or the ladies in mother’s group did it. The shop was on Worth Avenue and all of the arrangements brought high prices. I also remember boiling them and eating the soup. It was so good. I have never heard them called butterfly shells but I like that name. Thanks for jogging my memory at my old age. I had totally forgotten about the flowers until I saw your beautiful pictures. genie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genie...glad I could help you out. LOL

      Delete
  14. I LOVE what you've done outside! So special!! I had to enlarge some pics to get a better look. I am also glad that you showed the shells in your hand, now I have an idea of the size of them, just tiny. They look so big in the pictures of them alone. They are so pretty, I have never seen any like this...double, only part of one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny...for the compliments on our patio work. I like how it turned out.

      Delete
  15. Your shoreline looks so pretty! I love the shells and i would probably collect many if I visited. Great job repurposing the picnic table wood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat...loved your NYC experience today too.

      Delete
  16. I definitely think they look like butterflies! I think those shells are what some of the historic buildings on St. Simons Island area are made of - the area where John and Charles Wesley built their village.

    You two are so industrious and ambitious! Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to see you Dawn. Hope your week will treat you and your family well.

      Delete
  17. I love the little coquina shells... I used to collect them when I lived in FL.... My brother used to live in St. Augustine, FL ---and I've been to that fort several times...

    Love the new Patio.. You all have done a fabulous job!!!!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy. I enjoyed your roses today too.

      Delete
  18. What a difference! Absolutely wonderful transformation. And those shells do look like butterflies. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DJan!!! The hard work paid off....this time.

      Delete
  19. First, I LOVE what you have done to the patio! Looks mahvelous, dahling! As for the shells, we always called them periwinkle shells...and when my grandmother lived in Florida, she used to make straw baskets and decorate them with the little shells, then shellac the whole thing. I visited the fort in St. Augustine - it was fascinating to see the things they made with the shells - they were so plentiful! There is a place on Anastasia Island in St. Augustine where you can visit the coquina quarry...but we didn't have time while we were there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. {{{Linda!!!!}}} I am so happy to see you stop by this morning. God Bless you ...for what you and your husband have been through this past week, I continue to hold you both in my thoughts and prayers.

      Delete
  20. We eat them! they are called tallarinas (hope the link works this time) , they are tiny but very tasty. Love your patio, great job, very creative!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. here is the picture!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link....and thanks for the patio compliment.

      Delete
    3. Mmmmm, they look delicious!

      Delete
  21. enjoy your new patio, it looks wonderful

    I like all the shells, so many colors
    and the light on the water is divine

    ReplyDelete
  22. The patio looks wonderful! Your hard work has definitely paid off! Now to enjoy the fruits of your labors!

    I call them butterfly shells, too. We were just at Castillo San Marcos last month on our spring training trip ... we stopped in St. Augustine for a day on our way down to southern Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, thanks...I'd love to see St. Augustine and pay attention to the history of the area this time.

      Delete
  23. If I knew how to swim I think I would like to try paddle surfing :)
    Butterfly shells or angel wings those are so pretty.
    Your patio looks fantastic, very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you and me both...I'm NOT a swimmer.

      Delete
  24. What a gorgeous place! Love those shells and their shadows!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mom loves hunting for shells.

    OMC you and Mr. B certainly have been working very hard on your patio and it is gorgeous. If you two get tired of being retired you could design patios for others. LOL I doubt anyone could afford your work.
    Lots of sweat equity there.
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M&M!!! Glad to hear that Gpaw is home recouping.

      Delete
  26. great flutterby's anni!!! and your project turned out lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You would have to find an awful lot of those little clams to make a meal!

    Yes, it does look calm there in the Gulf...though I know it isn't always so. We have surfers in the frigid Pacific off the San Fran area...people wear full wet suits...and, occasionally, there is surf near Half Moon Bay, that lures the surfing greats from around the world.

    Your home and yard are lovely and you are so talented!!

    My Scenic Sunday was shot during my recent four month visit to India....

    http://rnsane.blogspot.com/2012/04/scenic-sunday-sunset-in-new-delhi-india.html#links

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anni that is a fantastic looking patio. You guys did good. I'll be back more often now that is about May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ventured into the alphabet challenge and went all the way I take it? Well done!!!

      Delete
  29. Wonderful beach pictures. I like your patio, looks nice.

    ReplyDelete

.