"Tales" of the crypts -

In the older part of New Orleans, there are three cemeteries [1, 2, and 3]. I wanted to go to the oldest one. This particular cemetery originated in the late 1700s - The cemetery spans just one square block but is the resting place of over 100,000 dead. A Protestant section (generally not vaulted) lies in the north-west section. St. Louis Cemetery #1 is the oldest and most famous. It was opened in 1789, replacing the city's older St. Peter Cemetery (no longer in existence) as the main burial ground when the city was redesigned after a fire in 1788. The newest vault is rumored to be one Nicholas Cage [born in New Orleans] had built for himself to be interred here at his death...a pyramid. I had to find and visit 'for good luck' Marie Laveau's crypt. Famous to those who have read about her life as a priestess. It is 8 blocks from the Mississippi River, on the north side of Basin Street, one block beyond the inland border of the French Quarter. And according to the locals, it has been haunted by many who are buried here. On this particular day, it remained cloudy while we visited because of the previous night when rain fell, so not too many shadows existed except for these two that I could find sifting through my scads of photos from the trip files --




more:
Top left to right : a small girl atop a crypt, Marie Laveau's crypt and the bronze marker, notice all the triple "x"s --that is an old African tradition of asking for protection and good luck. [as I understood it]
Bottom left to right: This is the 'line' to divide the Catholics from the Protestants, more crypts but I noticed a statue of Christ in the background, and last one is the newest - Nicholas Cage's on the event of his death.





One that really 'got to me'...it's in ruin and rusted with corrosion, yet still profound and beautiful in a peaceful, quiet way - is this one:




- - -



SUNDAY'S SUMMARY

Only TWO week's 'til Christmas already? Oh my goodness.

For the week past, mostly it was getting readied for Christmas around the house and downtown. We went to the city's lighting ceremony at Whataburger Field - the large bridge that crosses the ships' channel at the harbor has been refurbished and once again, after a ten year hiatus, it is a lighted bridge. By that I mean, the sea water/salt air corroded the wiring badly and the decorative lighting went dark. For nearly a decade. With the help financially through the tax payer's money and Texas Highway Commission, it is now lighted at night once again. And they had a light show this past Sunday [the 4th] evening. It is synchronized to music...and what a light show it is. It dazzles the eyes. I'm sure it will be a 'thrill' to those foreign ships that come in at night from far away around the world. I know it is spectacular for us residents...when it was lighted for the first time that evening, cheers from some 6000 people could be heard from as far away as Shoreline Drive along the bay. At one point, when the music begins to play patriotic songs ---the bridge's lighting changes to red, then white, then blue and eventually 'stars' sparkle in the night!! I will try and get a video of this new phenomenon sometime soon. We then took a 'side trip' to the area by the yachts/marina, and I stopped to take a photo of the 40' tree that the city puts up with a lot of fanfare each year. For a few minutes, we drove down the boulevard and enjoyed all the highly decorated homes along the bay and enjoyed the display of lights reflecting on the sea at night.


Since we didn't have a Thanksgiving dinner at our house this year, I got busy this past Wednesday and just 'had to' make us a pumpkin pie at least!! For a few nights then, we had pumpkin pie and whipped cream for dessert. Too bad, tho, it's all gone by now or I would have gladly shared it with you. I make 'em with egg nog instead of using canned milk...extra rich & creamy.




Monday morning I wrapped gifts and gift cards for our two grandsons and prepared a package to be shipped to Irene and the boys. Along with that I added some new snowmen for Irene's new found collection for the holidays in the box before shipping it. I found a great antique crocheted table runner [I failed to photograph it tho] for her that has a row of snowmen all scalloped and edged nicely, along with a soft sculpture snowman and a couple of ceramic snowmen. And books. I just know that the three of them will have a most difficult time now that Dan is no longer with them...especially the boys having no father for Christmas from this day forward. Got a text from them last night, and they received the box of 'goodies' already.

Yesterday and into the night, I watch a REELZ channel marathon of Pillars of the Earth [based on the book of same title]. Not often does a movie come out that is better than the book itself...but this one was; I think. Excellent.


33 comments :

  1. The cemetary is very interesting, and the Crypt for Nicholas Cage is unusual. I love the lighted bridge - just beautiful!
    I've never heard of eggnogg in pumpkin pie, but what a good idea - sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how interesting! I enjoyed reading about the crypts! Pumpkin Pie - I should google a recipe and try and bake one! I haven't eaten Pumpkin Pie before. It's not traditional in South Africa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so interesting about the cemetery, especially that waiting pyramid.

    And you remind me about eggnog, a favorite not seen since childhood in America.
    Enjoy your holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I am so jealous. I havve always wanted to visit this cemetary. I have a passion for photographing old cemetaries and their wonderful markers. I love the rusted cross too.!That bridge is amazing, that would be something to see for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting post and photos from the cemtery. Beautiful photos of the bridge and lights. Your pumpkin pie looks yummy. Great post and photos, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not know that Nicolas Cage is a native of New Orleans...interesting crypt. I bet the bridge lighting was fantastic...I have seen similar light shows and they were awesome! Sounds like you have been busy preparing for Chirstmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pics of the crypt. Didn't know that about Nicholas Cage. Love the lighted bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen cemeteries this crowded in Mexico, but never in the U.S. Thanks for enlightening me!


    IF I WERE A SHADOW

    If I were a shadow,
    I would seek the light;
    There I would glow sleekly,
    Black and shiny bright!


    © 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

    Shadowy Grass and Snowy Shadows

    ReplyDelete
  9. the cemetary is so neat. have never been to New Orleans, but that would definitely be on my list of 'must sees'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful shots.....and thoughts are with your son......have a wonderful week

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw them in the 70's. I actually saw several skulls and some bones in some really crumbly crypts!

    Great lesson!

    J

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are getting it done. Your New Orleans pictures continue to amaze me. I do think that Nicholas Cage is going to need his crypt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now those are old! I love them, that old. But around here, you have to find old private cemeteries on what was private land, to find really old.

    What a wonderful visit.

    Marie Laveau... Good Voodoo? :-)

    That light display must be wonderful!!!! And my daughter-in-law has to have a Pumpkin Pie around Thanksgiving. :-) None at the Family Dinner, so I made her one, after.

    Actually, our Family Thanksgiving Dinner was at middle son's. They have an Italian exchange student living with them for the year. Kiara make traditional Italian Desserts!!! :-)

    I'm new here, so I don't know the history behind, your daughter and grands not having father there... this year. Hugs to them...

    “The grate had been removed from the wide overwhelming fireplace, to make way for a fire of wood, in the midst of which was an enormous log glowing and blazing, and sending forth a vast volume of light and heat; this I understood was the Yule-log, which the Squire was particular in having brought in and illumined on a Christmas eve, according to ancient custom.”

    ~~Washington Irving

    “The grate had been removed from the wide overwhelming fireplace, to make way for a fire of wood, in the midst of which was an enormous log glowing and blazing, and sending forth a vast volume of light and heat; this I understood was the Yule-log, which the Squire was particular in having brought in and illumined on a Christmas eve, according to ancient custom.”

    ~~Washington Irving

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have been busy! That one crypt looks like a Christmas present, Anni. And your pumpkin pie sure does look good... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Morning Anni!!
    I got a good chuckle out of Mr. Cage's crypt...looks more like something Harrison Ford would like.
    You and B certainly have fun filled days!! We do most of our exploring during the week too rather than weekends especially this time of year. How much eggnog do you use in your pumpkin pie? That sounds delicious!!
    Madi just packed her bags. She is on her way to reside with Tahoe and Winnie where she can graze 24/7 on lots of kibble and F.F. Be warned she is a DIVA
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've often wanted to visit the cemeteries in New Orleans. They have been featured so often in movies, often with very big parts of the plot.

    That pie sure looks good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fascinating to tour those ancient cemeteries!! - Having eggnog in the pumpkin pie sounds like an interesting yummy change! Blessings to you as Christmas comes upon us! May you have share the love, hope, joy and peace throughout the whole year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cemeteries are interesting, mysterious places...
    Hope your week will be good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anni, I am sorry I have been so absent in commenting on your site. Your shots as always are great and your stories are really good reading. I have been so busy I had to favor reading more sites over commenting but today I wanted you to know I have enjoyed my vicarious vacation through you! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I enjoy your info and pics of New Orleans. I would love to go there someday. Nice shot of the bridge.. I have had pumpkin pie made with egg nog, It's soo yummy.
    I will say a prayer that your son's dreams come true and he is accepted to Rice U, Annie.
    Hugs n smiles across the miles,
    Pam i am :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. GREAT photos ~ We love cemeteries too... So interesting! Have a great weekend Anni
    {{{HUGS}}}
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  22. New Orleans is a neat city and these are some wonderful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The lights on the bridge are beautiful!!! I love looking through the cemetery!!! The sad girl with her head bent, the pyramid...too bad the Catholics and protestants are separated, we are one in Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  24. NOLA is an interesting place - being a port city, it has taken in so many cultures with so many people who jumped ship and stayed. THe influences here must be unlike anywhere else on earth: French, British, Spanish, Creole, Caribbean and American. Can't be like this in another city anywhere...The crypts are stunning, the history of those who have passed so unique. A neat vacation, perhaps you have tried the extensive gastronomic and delicious fare. I'd like to dine in N.O. someday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So wondering why Nick Cage who could be buried anywhere would want to be in all those ruins old worn ruins. :)
    I'm making pumpkin pie again for Christmas - my favorite dessert.
    Your lighted bridge seems very festive. I bet it's gorgeous at night.

    Thanks for your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a wonderful informative post! I hope you have a great week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. those crypts are mysterious and lovely at the same time. I love the wrought iron fences. your pumpkin pie looks yummy, you just had to include a photo of that now didn't you! It really hit me just now that there are only two weeks left until Christmas - seeing it in black and white did it! I finally got my tree decorated so now it's just card writing and a few things here and there. I'm going to check out that movie - I've heard good things about it. happy week to you Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love, love love the cemeteries in New Orleans! What great shots...with lovely ironwork :) Funny you should show a cemetery today ~ we just went to the cemetery to put some grave blankets on the family stones, and ended up taking some fun pictures for our Christmas cards....tastefully done of course!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fascinating cemetery shots. I'm amazed that there is any room for new crypts with so many already there.

    Love the idea of egg nog in the pumpkin pie. I'll have to try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've always heard about the cemetaries in New Orleans. Pretty cool. The bridge is amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful craftsmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Annie, nice to meet your acquaintance through Mellow Yellow. Your post on the New Orleans Cemeteries is fascinating. I have always wanted to visit this place.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, interesting post.

    ReplyDelete

.