my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




a death mask, Hard Rock & architecture---

The past Sunday I posted the shadows on the exterior wall of the Cathedral. Louisiana (French: La Louisiane; by 1879, La Louisiane française) or French Louisiana was an administrative district of New France. Under French control from 1682–1763 and 1800–03, the area was named in honor of Louis XIV- - -



Jackson Square, Cathedral, Museums...oh my. Again, this is one of my favorite areas in and around old town, French Quarter, New Orleans. There is so much history in this section of the city. Most all dating back to the 1700s. The history of the river, the piracy, I think of the term "mark twain" [which makes me think of Samuel Clemens, tho "his" area is way up farther north in Hannibal, Missouri - still I associate the river with him], riverboats, Cajuns, Creoles, French, Spanish...all so rich in heritage. Of course, the French influence is very strong. And, I love the architecture. For instance the cathedral. The two identical buildings to the right and left of the church are now Louisiana State Museums - one on the left is history from the era of King Louis XIV and Napoleon...the right is dedicated to governmental work I believe. But, more specifically, the St. Louis Cathedral ---






















Few cities in the world are so identified by a building as is New Orleans. The city is instantly recognized by the cathedral and its position overlooking Jackson Square. The Cathedral-Basilica of St. Louis King of France is the oldest Catholic cathedral in continual use in the United States. Since 1727 New Orleanians have worshiped in churches on this site. Half a dozen years earlier, the French engineer, Adrien De Pauger, who arrived in the newly founded city on March 29, 1721, designated this site for a church in conformity with the plan of the Engineer-in-Chief of Louisiana, LeBlond de la Tour, who was at the capital, Biloxi. The new parish church, dedicated to Louis IX, sainted King of France, was thus perhaps the first building in New Orleans of "brick between posts" (briquete entre poteaux) construction, an effective method of building that continued to be used in Louisiana until at least the middle of the nineteenth century. It's located in what was once called Place d'Armas [French origin]...now called Jackson Square.






















In 1844, the Baroness Pontalba [remember the book I purchased ---Intimate Enemies; about said Pontalba], with New Orleans agents presented to the Council for the First Municipality a project to construct a two-story structure and facade in front of the old buildings bordering both sides of the Place d'Armas, buildings she had inherited from her father, Don Andres Almonester. Two years later, this remarkable woman again submitted and had approved by the Council elaborate plans, prepared under her personal supervision, which called for remodeling her buildings with arcades similar to those of the Cabildo and Presbytere, and also for extensive improvements to the square itself, to create a bit of Paris for her native city. The photo below is one --the other identical building structure is on the other side of the square!! The buildings [Pontalba Buildings]....they are an entire block long and four stories high. Today, the ground floor is all shops while the top three floors are apartments and offices. They are the oldest continuously rented such apartments in the United States.






















The most recognizable statue in the square is that of President Andrew Jackson. A formative event in the early history of New Orleans was the Battle of New Orleans. This battle, though fought after the end of the War of 1812, would enhance the political career of Andrew Jackson.




























By the time in our history of the early 1800s, with Thomas Jefferson as president, buying the land from Napoleon Bonaparte - "The Louisiana Purchase" (French: Vente de la Louisiane "Sale of Louisiana") was the acquisition by the United States of America of 828,000 square miles (2,140,000 km) of France's claim to the territory of Louisiana in 1803...New Orleans then, also has a bit of connection with the Emperor of France...The two museums shown in the first photo, we toured the Louisiana State Historical side ---on the left of the cathedral. Of course, photos were not allowed, but you know me and my not obeying the law sometimes...hehehehehe, I found this and read about the exhibit and no matter --security cameras and all, I had to photograph it [blurred, I know, but I was trying to get it photographed before the cameras were pointing to me; and I moved my cell phone too quickly]. It is supposedly one of the original death mask copies of Napoleon!! Now, reading the inscription plaque on the wall, there were five made and four others where-abouts are 'unknown'. Why oh why, I ask myself, does Louisiana have it then, and not France? That still is something that I am skeptical about its truths; but yet, an amazing 'find'....to actually see his features was quite unexpected. Okay, you know why I took this photo, don't you? Ya, you're right if you answered " 'Cause Bud is a Napoleon fanatic' "...





























"She’s the ninth steamer to bear the name NATCHEZ. It was her predecessor, NATCHEZ VI, that raced the ROBERT E. LEE in the most famous steamboat race of all time. Even today, the NATCHEZ is proudly the undisputed champion of the Mississippi, never having been beaten in a race." The steamboat company has dinner and jazz cruises along the Mighty Mississip!! [no, not a typo...I want to "say" mississip like the song ---Johnny Horton's Battle of New Orleans]








- - -

More photos near Jackson Square
TOP LEFT to right: Inside part of the Riverwalk Shopping Center - to the left of this complex, just yards away is the Mississippi River. And, The French Market [historically it was an open market in the mid 1700s.]
BOTTOM LEFT to right: A line forming about two hours before it opened....NEW ORLEANS HARD ROCK CAFE. And, a saxophonist in Jackson Square.





Finally, this will conclude the postings on our Thanksgiving of 2011. I know I spent way too much of your time, but the city has such an appeal to me, I couldn't resist sharing its ambiance with you.

If you'd care to read my Wednesday Hodgepodge, I have kept it as a separate post this week since there is so much to read and view in this single post...CLICK HERE to Wednesday's Hodgepodge.







Read more on the history of Jackson Square/St. Louis Cathedral HERE
New Orleans and Andrew Jackson history can be found HERE
Louisiana READ MORE
Emperor Napoleon and the Louisiana Purchase HERE
READ MORE on the Pontalba Buildings
Baroness Pontalba SHORT BIO

14 comments :

  1. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Orleans is something special and you have showed that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting post and thanks for sharing it with us! Have a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) Wonder if someone dug deeper into the history of this area, if they would find that the native Indians of that area, had thought of this site (where cathedral was built) as a holy site? A la how so many Christian places of worship in Europe, were built on what was Pagan Holy spots.

    2) Wow, do we learn things here!?! Yes we do!!!

    3) Death masks. Soooooo interesting. If real, a death mask "tells it like it was," hu? No prettying-up-the-portrait to impress the subject. Etc. Wow...

    "Did you ever wonder about the Victorian version of sugarplums dancing around every one's head in "A Visit From St. Nicholas"? Sugarplums were exotic sweetmeats, a combination of fruit and nuts, traditionally available only during the holidays."
    ~~"Mrs. Sharp's Traditions"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photos and the post ~ you could never post to much for me!!! Loved the lessons and pictures!!!
    {{{HUGS}}}
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have truly enjoyed this history lesson on LA and your photos are beautiful.
    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your travelogue. You are the next best thing to being there. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved all the reminders of NOLA. I love that place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, fantastic post, New Orleans is on my Bucket List of places to visit. I love the history, and the architecture is stunning.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my Ms. Anni you know how much Mom loves steeples and to have 3 magnificent ones right there together is just amazing.
    Mom has been on a cleaning blitz but I think she is through !!
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I love New Orleans! Love your photos! Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Christmas wish for you, my friend
    Is not a simple one
    For I wish you hope and joy and peace
    Days filled with warmth and sun

    I wish you love and friendship too
    Throughout the coming year
    Lots of laughter and happiness
    To fill your world with cheer

    May you count your blessings, one by one
    And when totaled by the lot
    May you find all you've been given
    To be more than what you sought

    May your journeys be short, your burdens light
    May your spirit never grow old
    May all your clouds have silver linings
    And your rainbows pots of gold

    I wish this all and so much more
    May all your dreams come true
    May you have a Merry Christmas friend
    And a happy New Year, too .. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I beg your forgiveness for my cutting and pasting my comment, but there was no way on Earth I would be able to make it around the whole globe to wish everybody a Merry Christmas otherwise.

    The magical elves that constitute my staff have demonstrated their lack of respect in either not showing up for work at all, or those that have all seem a little worse for wear (if you catch my drift). All they seem to do is sit around smoking cigarettes that, frankly, smell funny. In addition, they play cards and tell dirty jokes rather than do their jobs! Consequently, the reindeer are all filthy and out of shape.

    I now have my two sons pulling the sleigh, but they are struggling. I’ve been told that it’s a big ask for a three and five year old, but I made it this far with a couple of mangy chooks, an arthritic wallaby and three peculiar wombats! Unfortunately, we lost all bar one wombat over Mumbai (and the sole survivor is exhibiting clear signs of PTSD).

    Anyway, all the way down here at the bottom of the world (A.K.A. Tasmania), and from myself, Jen, Henry and Ezra, please have a Merry Christmas/Winter Solstice/Hanukkah/Festivus/Ashura and a happy New Year!

    I hope that all of your holiday photos turn out to be triumphs, your stocking is stuffed full of lots of tasty treats and not coal and that all your naan/ prawn cocktails/ currywurst are all as tasty as can be!

    ReplyDelete

.