my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Cajun Pride....a swamp tour

...another reservation I had made for the three of us on the following day was to tour the swamps on a boat. And this is one I looked forward to doing. You see, I love the bald cypress trees with the Spanish Moss hanging so gracefully; swinging in the breezes --to me, it is what makes the swamps beautiful. That, and the colors. Being that our trip was Autumnal season, I was sure some of the grasses and low-lying plants may have some color [which they did]. Now the difference between swamp and marsh is ... swamps are more or less all wooded, while marsh just has grasses and reeds. The tour was on private property...250 acres of pristine, quiet, wetlands, with twists and turns along several canals amongst the moors! It was about 2 1/2 hours into the swamps, just coasting along the canals and viewing, viewing, viewing. We got a lot of history of the area along with seeing wildlife, Cajun cabins, and even an ancient cemetery!!! Since today is Camera Critter Day for blogging, I thought I'd show some of the critters along the way [I'll share the cemetery and cabin and the beauty of the water and trees on another post coming soon]....




One of the bronze sculptures at the boats' docks


The great gator wrestler...me,
and a turtle sunning itself along the tour's route


Gators galore!


Capt. Jack Sparrow Allen and Bud with 1 yr. old alligator


Baby alligator [held by Erik]


Egrets


Egrets and a snake...
Water Moccasin - The captain stopped the boat, circled around and came closer to the wooded area...telling us there is a snake there. He also said he 'smelled' it beforehand. I was impressed. Must be the Cajun upbringing! LOL....for I did not smell a thing! Nor did I see it. But I took a photo of the area he was pointing to and when I got home...I'll be darned, there it was - pretty as a picture!! [not!] Dang. [Captain Allen said the moccasins emit a very powerful musky odor...okay, gotcha. Like I'm gonna be walking in the swampland, smellin' out snakes!!!]


More egrets




23 comments :

  1. Nice tour....One thing on my bucket list is to do the tour through the everglades in Fl. What a photographers dream. Great shots! Very interesting fact about the smell of the water moccasin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for telling us, the diff between a swamp and a marsh!

    So now I guess that across from us, it's a swamp. It's a not too big wet area, preserved... on the college campus which is right near us. Lots of trees, so it's not a marsh. But other places on the campus, would be called marsh.

    It's a lovely place for walking... This campus, which is very open and has lots of walking paths. :-)

    Mmmm yes, I'd love the hanging moss toooooo. It kind-of-says-Old-South, to me. :-)

    "Christmas is the season for kindling the fire of hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart." ~~Washington Irving

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! Those alligators are huge, except for the baby one. Even when they are babies they are not cute and I thought ALL babies are. Except flies of course.

    Nice picture of you, Annie! You look right at home on the back of that beast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool pictures, I want to go there now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did a swamp tour in South Carolina a few years ago. We didn't get to hold any gators though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a very fun getaway. The swamp ride reminds me of the one we did in Georgia a few years ago - loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know they smelled either. The closet I ever came to one of this type was when we had our 'rive house'. He was swimming toward the bank with only his head visible. I took a tour like this once.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What an amazing experience. I must admit that I'd never do it, as I'm afraid of gators!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful! Thanks for taking us on this lovely tour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anni, I think I would like to take this tour. Wonderful photos. It is always nice to have someone spotting the critters. Love the egrets and the gators. The snake is a cool sighting too. Wonderful photos, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anni, oh, my, I love your photos! We did that when we were there too ... I loved it. The boat looked the same, and I have pics of me holding a baby alligator; wonder if it was the same outfit?

    Thanks for sharing, this was very interesting.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful tour! That snake is really camouflaged.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Swamp Critters deserve some lovin' too ... but at a distance!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great shots! And a baby alligator with its mouth taped shut - to be on the safe side, I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  15. you sure tamed that gator! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing your wonderful tour!! Enjoyed those photos!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Anni What great pictures and commentary...I felt like I was right there with you.
    You are woman see you wrestle the 'gators.
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's some serious critters on vacation! Happy Critter Day! (Keep those visiting gators small!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ganz wundervolle Tiere, die sieht man bei uns nur im Zoo, wenn überhaupt.

    GLG Marianne ♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'd love to hold a baby alligator!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I bet that was a fun tour. Isn't it scary how well those snakes can blend into the scenery. I have heard about rattlesnakes emitting a smell, (like cucumbers), so I guess water moccasins can smell musky. I really don't want to get close enough to know.
    Great pictures. I look forward to seeing the rest of your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm waiting to see the cemetery and trees, I can't wait for that!!! LOTS of gators! The baby ones are kinds cute, but still rather evil looking. Thanks for teaching me the difference between swamp and marsh, I didn't know. Love the way your background twinkles!!

    ReplyDelete

.