“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Sea shore...see shore











Sea Gulls
Standin' on the
Seashore
Silently
Sunning
in
Self
indulgence
















WEEKEND FUNNIES



By the sea, by the sea---


A young man with a wild and multi-coloured hairstyle sits next to an old man on a park bench. The old man stares at the young man.
"What's the matter, old man?" says the young man. "Never done anything crazy in your life?"
The old man replies: "Yeah. When I was in the Navy, I got really drunk one night and had sex with a parrot. I thought you might be my son."

- - -

Gordon died. So Susan went to the local paper to put a notice in the obituaries. The gentleman at the counter, after offering his condolences, asked Susan what she would like to say about Gordon.
Susan replied, "You just put, 'Gordon died.'"
The gentleman, somewhat perplexed, said, "That's it? Just 'Gordon died?'
Surely, there must be something more you'd like to say about Gordon. If it's money you're concerned about, the first five words are free. We really should say something more."
So Susan pondered for a few minutes and finally said, "O.K., then. You put 'Gordon died. Sailboat for sale.'

- - -

A retired sailor purchased a computer and began to learn all about computing. Being a sailor, he was used to addressing his ships as "She" or "Her". But was unsure what was proper for computers. To solve his dilemma, he set up two groups of computer experts: one group was male, and the other group was female. The group of women reported that computers should be refereed to as "HE" because:
1. In order to get their attention you have to turn them on.
2. They have a lot of data but are still clueless.
3. They are supposed to help you solve problems but half the time they are the problem.
4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a little longer, you could have had a newer and better model.
5. Size does matter.

The group of men reported that computers should be referred to as "SHE" because:
1. No one but the creator understands their logic.
2. The native language they use to talk to other computers is incomprehensible to anyone else.
3. Even your smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for later retrieval.
4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.



- - -

NEWS UPDATE...Yesterday I typed my disgruntlement on the abuse case between a 16 year old daughter and her father who whipped her with a belt for stealing [pirating] stuff from an online source. Well, I read his statement and part of the story from the daughter's side yesterday in our local newspaper...seems she threatened HIM about releasing the video that she secretly taped of this incident some 7 years ago ---she threatened him that if he took away his financial support and her car [which is a Mercedes by the way]...she'd get the video uploaded to You Tube. [so obvious a threat of some kind, I'd think...so, the fear factor of child abuse is no longer a large part of the case, right? Doesn't come across that way. A normal situation of one staying around without trying to leave a family situation such as this harmful abuse seems no longer present] Now, I must confess, that tho it's very upsetting to see the video, in the back of my mind when they showed the video in it's entirety on our local TV news station, I was wondering just what SHE was up to doing? Not to mention, why on earth would she do this NOW, instead of years ago. And why subject her 10 year old sister to such? Could it be for dysfunctional, selfish reasons? And is she using her disability [I understand she's a high functioning cerebral palsy victim] to get us all to sympathize with her? It's hard to say. But I'm hoping that whomever is at fault [both daughter, mother, and father] will be justly punished by the laws in the state of Texas. If you ask me, if she was pirating things from the internet, she is quite guilty and her crime should not go unnoticed. I understand that there is a 5 year statute of limitations on crimes of her sort...illegal saving of files/videos/games/movies and such from an online source. Yes, I most heartily say that child abuse/spousal abuse is wrong, wrong, wrong....but I'm thinking behind the whole scenario again...there is something definitely not right with all of this. Another statement she made on national tv...that she wanted her father to get 'help'....if so, then why such a long delay; seven years? She saved the video for seven years before she decided to threaten him because of her father taking away all her financial support and car? Premeditated? Her actions may be a source of blackmailing her parent. Yes, blackmail is illegal. I believe it is a felony, not a mere misdemeanor. Not only is it illegal, it is immoral and unethical. Two wrongs do NOT make any right. Recalling the Colorado Balloon Boy? Who supposedly drifted off, endangering others and himself in a family made hot air balloon? Of course the media went 'mad' with coverage...this too, I think is another case of over-zealous broadcast. Another very dysfunctional family situation that is getting wide, perhaps unprecedented, coverage. I mentioned yesterday, there are abuse cases that go unnoticed; with murders, deaths involved. And this case gets world wide coverage? Something's wrong with this picture... In all actuality here...the video does NOT show her getting hit by the belt...just sounds [in the back of my mind, it perhaps could be all 'staged' for notoriety? guess it's possible - sick minds]. *just my thoughts*

13 comments :

  1. Love the pic - love the jokes! (Especially the computer one)
    As for the judge, it seems there is more to the story and you stated it well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with your thoughts. Why did she wait so long?? What was the mother doing in the room?? Don't you know many people are sending money to that girl. Great post. Have yourself a terrific day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your rant...the media only shows you bits n pieces...there is something just not right about this whole mess. Lord have mercy...if they had my Mom on video way back when I was a kid...she would be in jail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful shot of the birds on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so hard to know the truth of someone else's situation, isn't it? I'd hate to be on a jury. One of my nephews was on a jury, and the case was something he was instructed never to talk about. Gotta wonder about that. It doesn't seem to have done him any lasting damage, however.
    Stealing is wrong, child abuse is wrong. To my mind, child abuse is more wrong, but would anyone actually fake something like that?
    In the way of good news, Anni, a convicted, imprisoned, serial murderer of Canadian children died of cancer recently, and I'm glad he's dead. I've been able to let go of the hatred I had for him for 30 years, whenever I thought of him killing the son of people I knew; whenever I thought of making sure my 13-year-old brother and our nephews never went anywhere without an adult because there was a child-killer on the loose.
    "You know, Auntie Kay," said my young nephew at the time, "we have to be careful because there's a raper behind every bush."
    How sad is that? It's a big, bad world out there.
    Love your seagulls, and enjoyed your jokes.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your jokes today! Well, you bring up some really interesting and thought provoking things about this case, and I really hope we find out more. Well...maybe she wanted to wait to do this till she was grown and out of the house. In case she would have had to live with him after outing it all. Blackmail is wrong, but if he did this, it is still all his fault! But there is something just kind of off about the whole thing!!! Please let us know any more you find out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shot of the seagulls even though I call them garbage disposals since they eat everything in sight! lol

    Omigosh those jokes were too funny! I call my computer a HE because it just doesn't want to listen to me! hehe

    I know there's always two sides to the story and as you say, why did she suddenly decide to come out with the video now after having it for 7 years, that's the question everyone is asking her. It still doesn't take away the fact that he beat her with the belt, in some shots on the video you can see the belt making contact with her body. All I can say is that they all need help. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shot! I love the alliteration and your funny stories. Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful morning at the beach... love the scenery! fly away, sea gulls!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First, I must say that I love that seagull photo! And, yes, there is always more to the story, isn't there? Sometimes I just don't know what to think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a gorgeous shot Anni! Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete

.