“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






How High's the Water Mama? --viz.-- how high's the bridge mama?

There is always a never ending watery scene like this around here. I can always combine Watery Wednesday with Outdoor Wednesday memes because of the fact. This photo to the right is the Harbor Bridge [2nd highest in the state of Texas] and the waterway is the Corpus Christi ships' channel at the Port of Corpus Christi. If you follow the waterway toward the back area...this is where the railroad tracks, and gulf oil refineries are located. There has been a lot of repair work on the bridge itself lately. It's going on 60 years in existence I believe...and there is talk through the city council that perhaps this will be replaced soon. Even talk of a vehicle tunnel! No way. I have a fear of bridges like this, but a tunnel? I'm not sure I'd ever go in an underwater tunnel knowing the construction work is done by the lowest bidder. If I wanted to get to the other side, I'm nearly 100% positive I'd drive clear up toward San Antonio and go the LONNNNNG way 'round. LOL [By the way, behind the bush on the left a few yards inward, you'd come to the Port Authority where all ships report before docking with their imports.]

-BRIDGE STATS-
Height: 243 ft [74.066 4 meters]
Longest span: 620 ft. [188.976 meters]
Clearance below highway: 138 ft. [42.062 4 meters]



- - -

Now, for some HODGEPODGE


1. Who taught you how to cook?
I'm more or less self-taught. As a child, I helped my mother at times...but actually, I'm a hands' on type. I learn first by experimenting for my personal taste. Not to brag or anything, but Bud, after all these years, still tells everyone who comments on my 'good' cooking that "She never measures anything either". A dish that I particularly enjoy at restaurants or other's, I go home and try to duplicate the taste to some degree of success.

2. Have you been told you think too much? Are too much of a perfectionist? Are too sensitive? Were they right?
Well...not really. Let's say, not as I recall. I figure that nothing makes much difference in 100 years anyway, so why bother being a perfectionist? Many times a project doesn't turn out like I have it in my head to begin with, and a lot of times it turns out even better than planned. Altho, I must say that secretly I've told myself many times "just 'chill out' Anni - tomorrow's another day - you've done the best you can". But, I am one who is adamant on finishing something I've started. I don't like, to this day, to leave something undone - even if it takes weeks to complete.

3. As a child did you have a favorite blanket or toy? Tell about it. Really, too long ago to actually remember any special toy. I do remember two...that I still have in my possession. A Wedding Doll that I wanted from Santa [and got obviously], and a small stuffed bear from Yellowstone Park Curio Shop decades ago. It plays Brahms's Lullaby! OHHHHHH, and I still have a little troll doll [the mini rubber dolls with funny faces and huge eyes and funky hair? - know of them?] that my father brought home for me one day when I was about 6 or 7. I still have that too. The wedding doll and troll doll are packed away, but I still have the bear 'out and seen' every day of my life since ---

4. What 'institution' do you have the most faith in?
Even with so many divorces today, I still have 'faith' in marriages and hope that the young ones find as much happiness and companionship in later years as I have with my Bud. Marriage is the strongest institution around; still!!

5. Chrysanthemums-pansies-burning bush-ornamental cabbage...your favorite in an autumn garden? We don't have a typical Autumn around here much. Nor did we have it in Arizona where we first retired. But, I must say that anything that turns color - the leaves, not necessarily any blooming flower. Here and Arizona, the crepe myrtle trees always get the fiery colors or red, orange, yellow, and brown at the end of the growing season. If you really want me to choose a flower, I think it would have to be my roses that come back to life in October and November and bloom.

6. What superpower do the kids in your neighborhood seem to possess? We live in an older neighborhood [mostly 55 and older] with the 'kids' being mostly pets. Dogs and cats. There are a few human kids but no real young ones; late teens and hardly ever home. I do have a favorite 'kid' that isn't our fur babies...and that is the neighbor dog. He's so darned cute. His super power is to bark and being the cutest in the 'hood!!

7. Are you a fan of the cranberry? Yes. I especially love to snack on 'cran raisins' ---dried cranberries.

8. Insert your own random thought here. LIFE IS LIKE A BOX OF CHOCOLATES! All the good ones have been taken and the rest have been nibbled upon, leaving you with nothing to enjoy. And on second thought....did Phil Harmonic really invent orchestras?

19 comments :

  1. First time to your posts through Hodgepodge. Great to read new blogs. Looks like we have the same interests, both retired with grands, and taking on new interests. We are expats in Munich, Germany now, but I will be heading to your part of the world during the holidays to visit my sister and brother. Can't wait for the sunshine and warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have a Harbor bridge here too.

    I like the fresh red color of the cranberry juice.

    Sorry, my choice of songs are exhausted, I am not very into songs, and I have to give this a miss. I thoroughly enjoyed it when I was participating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great looking bridge. I hope the repair it and don't take it down. I'm not a fan of tunnels either, but then long bridges get me too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL to the quote... and you sound like an awesome cook! :) It's super cool that you still have toys from your childhood :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love crepe myrtles...the weather here isn't good for them so sadly none in this yard.

    I remember trolls : ) Loved their colorful hair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your answers, Anni. I never measure anything when I cook either!

    I, too, believe in the institution of marriage, after 39 years of being married to a wonderful man.

    Interesting random thought...about how life is like a box of chocolates! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great composition Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shot of the bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anni
    Great info on Harbor Bridge and of course picture.
    I really ejoyed your Q&A today!! Especially the childhood treasures. The only thing I still have from my childhood is a collection of Elvis and Beatles albums.
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful watery scene. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your blog look. Where on the coast of the Gulf do you live. My husband is from Ft. Walton Beach area.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Annie! Thanks for coming by and leaving a message! So good to hear from you! I don't blog like I use,too! Miss you! Got to get over here more often! Love and Hugs, Grams "Carolyn"

    ReplyDelete
  14. An underwater bridge?? Now that's just plain scary! Gosh, I didn't even know there are any in this country! You would think the water pressure would cave it in at some point! But then I am scared of heights, bridges, tunnels, and not too fond of elevators. No one taught me to cook either!! And I had a big wedding doll and a troll doll as well! The wedding doll came with one other dress you could change her into, I think it was a bright blue evening gown.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoyed your blog. I can't pass a bridge without taking a picture of it. My kids think I'm weird. I can agree with you regarding Arizona, I have lived in Phoenix 40 years. You get to appreciate any color.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like your header for Thanksgiving.
    That is such a beautiful photo of the bridge. I am with you I would go the long way. I am nervous on bridges but underground no way.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. Reading your thoughts is always a treat, and your pictures are always great. This is one impressive bridge. It is one of those that make my stomach a bit queasy. Hope all is well. genie

    ReplyDelete
  18. The only time you will see me in the kitchen is when it's time to eat. I only started learning how to cook when we first moved to Canada. I was in my mid 30s then...

    ~ Jo's Precious Thoughts ~

    ReplyDelete

.