my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Long time....no see






This photo is of one of our trips to the Grand Canyon when we lived in Tucson Arizona. The shadows of sightseers and of the canyon are perfect for the weekend meme.
GRAND CANYON
ARIZONA, USA

[photo is kinda off kilter, it's taken right from the scanner --no adjustments or alignments]









Yet another 'photo' of shadows for fun...
Have you ever wondered what the 'backside' of Mount Rushmore looks like? Never been? ----well, you're in luck!!! I happened to fall upon a picture of the reverse side of our presidents' faces carved in stone. Remember, you saw it here first. LOL
[ Just kidding of course. This was sent to me via email ]

SHADOW SHOT SUNDAY meme button link on my sidebar





SUNDAY'S SUMMARY [a day early]

Another long, but busy week for me here. Composing and adjusting photos, adding the photos to the blog and actually, I spent a day doing more research to find the LDS Center here in town. Probably not much there, but worth a shot in the dark. You see, a long time ago, Bud's great great aunt told him and his mother while visiting her house in Michigan that they were related to one of the signors of the Declaration of Independence. As I was adding some documents to the genealogy blog, a familiar surname came to my attention. I followed it a bit and perhaps she was right. Maybe, maybe so, maybe not. That constituted me searching to see if this city had a Family Genealogy Center. I'll check it out sometime soon to see if they have the microfilm there, it'll need to be ordered from the LDS in Salt Lake City, I'm sure. It would be quite interesting to know that Bud is descended from one of the "founding fathers". It won't be a direct blood line tho, I don't think [If the signor is a direct line, then I'll add notes to my note pages that'll be part of the book for added text in handwriting]. At this point, I'm only doing DIRECT blood lines. My goodness, if I did brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, etc. my book would be humongous!!! Right now as it stands before publication, I have over 300 pages and counting.

Okay, on to other news. I finished the panel I've been slowly working on on the Halloween afghan for Irene. I am wondering if I'll get it completed before October 1st. That was my intention when I began the project...to have it done and sent to her by October 1st. Time will tell. Anyway, the solid panel is complete. And I began the other night after dinner while watching a ballgame, the edging. I have two sides of the edging done, now on to the other two sides. Then, getting them all pieced together on each side of the witch panel, and adding some fringe or some kind of finishing work. Then, done. The flying witch panel measures about 48 inches by 28 inches [guesstimate] and it should be, to be considered afghan size about 50 by 72 or so. There will be a large amount of edging involved to get it close to the correct size. I took an image from online made into a pixeled grid in order to get the pattern. Used the colors of yarn, while dropping one color and beginning another color accordingly.

In other news, as I was working on the computer early one morning just before sunrise, I heard the strangest noise outside. Well, not strange per sé, but something not heard much. At first I thought it was a jet plane flying over, low....but then it dawned on me.....IT WAS RAIN on the roof!!! I was elated. A good downpour. Strange phenomenon here this past summer. The storm lasted about 20 minutes [not nearly long enough to do much good on the parched land], but I'll take it. The forecasters here in the city are telling us there is a chance of rain for the entire next week; each day. Whoooohooo. And then, a cold snap is to hit. Cold snap? South Texas? Well, by that, I'm sure they mean the temperatures will finally drop below the century mark. Maybe even the high 80s. LOL


One more thing, then I must go do some visiting to those who have been kind enough to stop by here at Hootin' Anni's this past week ---we've been eating a lot of chicken pot pies. I need to make a full meal sometime real soon. Oh, and the photos of the post below this? Of the Humming birds? [link] Several commentors left note that there are a lot of 'em ----these photos don't show the REAL amount that sometimes hit the feeders. Why, we've had DOZENS at both feeders at the same time. Kinda like a huge invasion of mutant mosquitoes, they are.

...it's back to working on my project now. See y'all soon. If not sooner.

34 comments :

  1. Hello Anni, sounds like you have been very busy. I love your shadow shots. And the second backside shot is funny. I have to find your hummingbird post.Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the backsides at Mt. Rushmore
    priceless!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great shadow shot n the second one is hilarious!
    You are so talented, I just love your Halloween afghan.
    Wow 300 pages of your genealogy project...that is quite impressive! Have a great weekend Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so good to find you at my place this morning when I got up and logged on. It was a wonderful time together and Mom surprised us all with the portrait they had taken for this occasion. I sure hope you do make it up here to the Springs, at least, one of these days. It would be so much fun to meet IRL!

    Oh, my goodness, you have been working so hard. That will be some piece of accomplishment when you finish. Are you going to publish it for everyone in your family or just yourself?

    I love the picture of the backside of Rushmore - too funny! And the shadow picture is marvelous.

    And again, you are so talented to be able to take a picture and pixelate (word?) it into a crocheting project! Can't wait to see the finished product.

    Well, Grandpa Dwight is taking the 4 girls to the mountains for a "day camping" trip - no spending the night, but putting up tents for the fun of it. They took their first hike with the twins last Sunday afternoon and that's all they could talk about all week - "going to the mountains." It'll be a nice day off for Mommy and me! Hope the weather cooperates up there - it's been cool and rainy for the last couple of days. I'm so glad to hear that you got some rain - it must have definitely sounded weird to your ears this year. I hope the forecasters are right! We've been praying for Texas and Oklahoma to get some relief.

    Well, didn't need to write a book - but it's been awhile, ya know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post... love the photos today! How talented are you making that cute little Halloween decoration.
    {{{HUGS}}}
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahaha omg I had a good laugh early in the morning. I haven't seen the back part of Mt. Rushmore this is my first hahaha. ^_^ Happy weekend and the visit I do appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Gran Canyon is something very special and beautiful, I still remember when I saw it for the first time. The backside of the presidents I have never seen, but at least the heads, lol !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your blog and the Grand Canyon is awesome ~ My sister (half actually ) is the geneologist ~ not my 'cup of tea' ~ Lots of work! ~ have a great weekend and thanks for coming by my blog~ Share the Creative Journey ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anni, I see from your header you are getting ready for Fall--such wonderful cool weather has rushed in and scared all those 100+ degree days away. Good luck on your projects--do you find that everything takes longer than you expected?
    I love your shadow shot--such a magnificent background for it. And, your Mt. Rushmore shot is funny--we are going up there in a couple of weeks. Love all those hummingbirds that gather at your feeder too--so tiny and beautiful. Have a great weekend. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just added my name to your follower list--it will be much easier to keep up with you. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Annie this Halloween Afghan is so cute!! What a nice job you did!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the stark silhouettes on that shadow shot...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anni what brand Vitamins do you take? OMC I need some of them how do you fin enough hours in the day to do all that you do?

    The Halloween afghan is absolutely beautiful. Irene will love it. I guess it isn't a surprise right? LOL
    Hugs
    C

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE the Grand Canyon shadow shot! To me the picture is perfect, I don't see where it is off kilter at all. I'm loving your cute fall header! And your afghan is perfect! You are talented. Oops, I somehow missed the hummingbird post below, so many, this is way cool!!! SO glad you finally got some rain, yeah!!! We are having a cold snap here, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great shadow shot. It has it all: interesting shadow and a scenic surrounding.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful photos Anni.

    My Shadow, have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's always a pleasure to drop in to your Blog. Today was no different. I love the pictures. The back side of Mount Rushmore, who would have guessed what it looked like. Funny!
    The Grand Canyon Shadow Shot is Great!! Such a beautiful scene with shadows to boot. Nice!
    Your afghan is great. I don't know how you find time to work on it, with your Blog, the Theme Song Meme, and especially the Genealogy. My husband has been researching his family for years. He has compiled alot of information and talks of putting into book form one day. He spends hours researching at times. But, he enjoys it.
    I am glad that you got some rain, I know it had to be a welcomed thing. It sure has been here, along with the cooler temps. I have enjoyed the cool mornings.
    Hope you have a good week!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anni,

    I absolutely LOVE the witch afghan. Wish I could still crochet, but it's not to be.

    RAIN!!! I'm glad you got even 20 minutes worth. I know Texas has been dry this year. We have been as well, but then we got three days or so last week. We are still hurting and the water table is low.

    I love hummers and we seldom see them around here. Maybe when we move.

    Hope you and Bud are well. So glad to have you visit the Writing Nook.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice shadow shot and I like your Halloween afghan, too. You are very talented.
    Thank you for smile and sharing photo of Mt. Rushmore.
    Good luck with your book.

    Regards and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your shadow picture!! and the 'backside' of Mount Rushmore, lol.
    I have been busy with pictures too, using my scanner a lot and getting rid of the "bad" shots.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your afghan is shaping up nicely! The pic of the backsides made me laugh out loud ~

    ReplyDelete
  22. are you watching rugby? The whole country was watching the day USA played Russia. Guess who won?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Anni,

    Wow, you have been so busy! I love the new background on your blog, and your pictures and the Afghan. What a lot of effort you did to even get the pattern down. I can kind of figure out how you made the pattern (I learned a similar grid trick in art class once). But to make it all work out so nicely ... you are a genius!

    I have never been to the Grand Canyon, but would really like to do that someday. Thanks so much for stopping by to say hi.

    Enjoy the rain and cooler temps; it is about time that you guys got a break.

    Hugs,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the shadow shot. Gorgeous. And Tucson is a beautiful area. My sister lived there for a few years, always fun to visit her there.
    Yay for rain!
    The afghan is sooo cute. Very talented you are.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I dropped by to say many thanks for stopping by the party and your lovely comment about my debut novel. Well, I am blown away - I don't think I have come across such a beautiful blog as yours. It is stunning so I am now off to have a jolly good look around.
    (I adore Humming birds so I 'm off there first)
    I am really pleased I came by here. See you later....
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  26. Marie Calendar's Chicken Pot Pies ROCK!!!!!! And so do YOU!!!!!!!!!!

    Love ya Mean it Anni!!! You are Have and are Great Great Spirit!

    Hugs,

    John

    ReplyDelete
  27. This post is was such fun to read....and because I am so gullible, I really did think those were the rears of those fine gentlemen. Geeze...I am so slow sometimes. When I went upstairs today I thought of you when I looked at my genealogy stuff spread out all over the place. I am not as organized as you...plus, I do it in spurts and not on a continual basis. So you heard real RAIN while on the computer....bet that put a huge grin on your face. You all really did need it...and lots more of it, too. That first photo of theGrand Canyon shadow shot is a super duper one. Love those shadows in front of that gorgeous background. Magnificent. Now...I have gotta send you the photo of my hamburger....I have not forgotten you...I just keep forgetting to upload it. Be patient...it is coming. hugs from virginia...genie

    ReplyDelete
  28. The canyon shadows are so bold that they appear to be painted on the rock!

    MY SHADOWY FRIEND

    My shadow and I are very best friends;
    We walk hand in hand, though the sidewalk ends.

    No matter the time of day or of night,
    My shadow and I will always stick tight.

    We don’t even think of drifting apart,
    For shadow and I are one soul and one heart.

    To have such a friend is heaven, you see,
    For I love my shadow, and shadow loves me.


    © 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

    Shady Lady Aster

    ReplyDelete
  29. You got rain! Yay!!!

    My uncle discovered that we are connected to Daniel Boone when he put our ancestry together. He's the one coming to help me do Mother's side in a couple of months!

    I LOVE that afghan! Birdie would too! She's the Halloween Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm glad to see there are railings at the Grand Canyon. My husband really wants to go there and I am terrified of getting anywhere near the edge. A few yards away would do me fine. Thanks, Anni.
    Wonderful work on the afghan, starting by creating your own pattern. I can just barely crochet well enough to make dog blankets, but our dog doesn't like them.
    Dozens of hummers would be wonderful to see.
    Sigh.
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ugh- I've never been to the grand canyon but am dying to go! Thanks for sharing.
    -Polly
    http://www.learnandgopolly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Anni, I really like your shadow shot of the Grand Canyon.

    It sounds like you have had a busy week. Wouldn't it be exciting to find that an ancestor was a signer on the Declaration of Independence? Family stories can sometimes make for great mysteries and lead to adventures.

    Love that afghan panel!

    ReplyDelete
  33. LOL, you cracked me up with the back side of MT Rushmore. I guess when I was their this part was not done yet, as I only saw rocks.
    Love you Halloween panel great job.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  34. Goodness you have been busy. Love the photo of the presidents "rear ends".

    Your project looks like it is coming together very nicely.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

.