my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Shadows and Summaries


[CLICK HERE TO JOIN]


SHADOW SHOT SUNDAY







A KOKOPELLI
(pronounced coke-ah-PELL-ee)
Bud made from
scrap fence lumber
and
1x2 pieces [for feathers]

Read more on Kokopelli HERE













- - -<><><>- - -



SUNDAY'S SUMMARY


This past week, it's been way too hot and humid to do much outdoors except for the early morning. And I think it's kinda odd that the air can be so filled with moisture, and the skies oftentimes show a threat of rain...but nothing, nada. We are once again in a drought!! By midday, it's too hot for this ol' lady and I'm in where the air conditioning is on. Anyway, one morning walking along the Shoreline Blvd, where the downtown yacht club and marina is, we timed it as two shrimp boats were coming in. [I'm only sharing the one boat tho. Will show the other one at another time.] I love the activity that surrounds the boats...the birds! The pelicans and the seagulls go absolutely berserk in anticipation of the shrimpers' castaway catch. So, I took some photos. We had gone out to breakfast, and we were walking off our meal. In the car was the camera. I grabbed it and we just stood on the boardwalk and watched it all. From the arrival to the seawall, to docking at the pier...







. . .to selling their catch. Large shrimp [as seen in the photo] were going for the price of $8.00 a pound. Trust me, it didn't take long to sell...people are always waiting for them to arrive daily. I ask, how can anything so ugly taste soooo good?!!! For me, personally, I'd much prefer they come off the boat, breaded, butterflied and deep fat fried to a rich golden brown with marinara sauce or tartar sauce...I'm not picky or choosy; as long as I have some dipping sauce. When I look at the closeup photo I've added, it reminds me of lungers with eyeballs staring at me. No way. Gimme cooked shrimp any ol' day.



- - -

On another day this past week, we took a jaunt over the harbor bridge on the north part of town and drove over to Portland, Texas. While perusing the aisles at one store Bud found a treasure. Something we've been tempted to order online before, but we both are sticklers on keeping the local economy going if at all possible and buy locally. He found me in the clothes section and came up to me and said "I found the DVD package we've been wanting!". He was thrilled. It was the 1st mini series of all the episodes of ROOTS! It was fairly inexpensive, considering all the episodes from Kunta Kinte to the Civil War breaking out...so, we bought it. So far we've only watched episodes one and two, but we finally have it. We're still looking for two others and will find 'em....Rich Man Poor Man and Backstairs at the White House. Some day. Let's see, what else this week? Took Bud to Blackbeard's Seafood for his birthday. And believe it or not, he ordered a burger of all things! Me? I ordered those delicious COOKED shrimp in a basket. I also made a favorite dish for him that he asked for...goulash. And a blueberry pie. Neither one of us is much on birthday cakes, so pie it was. And blueberry is his favorite. We also have waited patiently for some of our hibiscus to return from the ice storm back in Winter. Most are now coming up from the root systems, but two just broke off and we figured they were not going to come back, so Bud dug 'em up [shown in the Kokopelli shadow photo - on each side of him, above, and since the legend is a native American fertility god...guess the 'fertility' of it all isn't working! LOL] and I planted "Hot Lips" Sage to take their place. As I read the tags on the pots at the plant nursery, they will withstand down to ZERO degrees and are also drought resistant. And a big plus is they attract hummingbirds. The photo on the container shows some dainty white flowers with red 'lips'. Oh, and to conclude my week, I purchased three small geranium plants the same day and put all three together in a large hanging pot that is now hanging from the eave of the house in the back yard off the patio. One more thing, then, I'll let you go....while spending so much time during the afternoon indoors, I finished putting the edging and the closures for our lightweight binoculars' crocheted case! It took me only a few weeks to actually get it completed. LOL It's very nifty...especially being able to carry our bird book in the same case. That, alone, is a brain fart I had that paid off!!


If you're one to celebrate Easter...have a super, wonderful and very peaceful holiday. Egg salad tomorrow?



33 comments :

  1. I love the Kokpelli! Those seagulls would drive me crazy if I was trying to get the boat in.
    I would love to own Roots too - I've looked for it to rent but our local store doesn't have it. It was a great mini series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for popping over to mine - love your shadow shot and I`ve learned what a kokpelli is! I can just imagine the port scene and I expect it was pretty noisy with the birds waiting for their breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kokopelli made quite an interesting shadow - nice shot! And I'm with you on the shrimp :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice group of shots.

    Very interesting Kokopelli shadow.

    Happy Easter.

    Cheers!
    JzB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anni ... it sounds like a perfect week to me, except for the humidity. Happy Birthday to Bud, and thanks for your awesome post ... I enjoyed the fishing boat pics very much and how you laid everything out. Your background is cute, as is the fertility God.

    Happy Easter to you too!

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your shadow shot is cute Anni..have a nice Easter...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Bud of yours is quite the craftsman--Kokopelli, indeed!

    EVEN IN SHADOW

    Even in shadow, where there is no light,
    One may take comfort and one may delight
    That darkness has lost its power to thrall
    Those who are living on this earthly ball.


    © 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

    Three Companions in Shadow

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the collage of the shrimp boat and attendant birds, and the hotlips sage. What a thought! Pretty flowers, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Kokpelli looked scary on the first glance. Maybe for me its like Sushi, something to be acquired eh !! :) Nice pics

    ReplyDelete
  10. The shrimp boat scenes are awesome - I am wondering how many shrimps the gulls get away with! Your posts seem to be transparent - is this a new
    google design for blogs, I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that's a great shadow and a cool sculpture

    ReplyDelete
  12. ♥Nice post.) Love your blog.))♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is the coolest shadow shot ever!

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love shrimp! Great pictures. Happy Easter, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everyone should have a kokpelli in their garden. I love that hot lips sage, I am going to have to look for it. We had such a cold winter and now have had three flash floods, I have lost a lot of stuff- but thats ok. , the stuff that survived is coming back strong!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, did make a nice shadow! Wow fresh shrimps! I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun, playful shadow!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Never heard of the kokpelli before! Interesting. And a good shadow shot too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Three things Anni,
    1. Bud is very talented
    2. Thanks for sharing your hot hazy humid weather with us ...you may have it back now!!
    3. what a beautiful flower with red lips.
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love, love, love your Kokopelli! Of course I'm partial since I was born and raised in Southern NM and am totally and completely in love with Northern NM. :) Great shot! Thanks for visiting my bog today. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey there Anni,
    Loved hearing about your week and Bud's Birthday..
    I've been planting and doing cross stitch and catching up on reading so not much posting from me.
    Blessings,
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  22. Annie, you have some beautiful photos! I love Bud's Kokpelli He is a talented man!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those birds are really waiting for a feast! I love shrimp, but can imagine the smell of those boats!

    Love the hibiscus - gorgeous.

    I was just telling Dwight yesterday that I want to see Roots again, and also Centennial. Love both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love catching up on your week. Great shots. You are not the only blogger who is waiting for rain.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I find great compositions with a light, excellent color, a treat with this sinosuidad. Very beautiful. Greetings ..

    ReplyDelete
  26. Egg Salad sounds great Annie!! Love the shadow...the figure as well...very fun(ny!) I'm with you about shrimp...in fact when I was little I ate it all of the time - until in school we were studying marine life and I saw what shrimp REALLY looked like...yep, it probably wasn't until Jr High that I started eating it again- lol!!
    Hope you had a glorious Easter day!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a beautiful garden decoration! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your shadow shot is interesting-that sculpture was made for making a good shadow! I love the photos of the shrimping boat and the hot lips plant is great!

    ReplyDelete
  29. The kokopelli is beautifully shaped! Much like the figure of Pan and his flute! And the shadow is like a burst of sun on his head!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great post and beautiful photos. Love the kokkopelli.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your Easter Bunny *LOL* ...so funny, Anni

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a clever little sculpture-love it. Made for a good "shadow shot" too. Sounds like you had another busy week. What a fun way to spend a day walking around the marina--great place for finding some interesting camera shots. Shrimp and sauce--can't beat it!!! Have a great week. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Having only seen shrimps in the freezer section of the grocery store, I was horrified when I saw on tv how they really look like before they are caught. Yuck! lol I'm not a big fan of seafood but I do enjoy breaded and deep fried shrimp once in a while. I can well imagine the racket the birds make when those shrimp boats come in, they figure it's supper time1 lol

    Hot Lips sage, never heard of it before but it sure does have a gorgeous blossom. Ah, to have nice red lips like that:-)

    It's pouring rain here today and 39F...in other words, it's miserable out there! The stores haven't even started to carry potted flowers/plants yet, we have to wait until at least mid May. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

.