“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Deckle Edged





...back to my title for this post:

If you're 'into reading books' like I am...or just like to go to book stores and peruse the newly published books and see for yourself what the authors are coming up with these days, you may have noticed a unique and cool part of a certain book. DECKLE EDGED PAGES. Now, I must admit I like this feature. It makes the book feel, to me, more valuable....kinda like finding an old antique book worth mega bucks. LOL Okay, so what is deckle edged? Tho, in today's times it's a new 'feature' that some publishers are using...it's just plain cool, and I never knew until a few days ago just what the term meant.

If you go online in search for a new book, you may have noticed that some of books are identified as "deckle edge" in the title page. Deckle edge books are bound with pages that are made to resemble handmade paper by applying a frayed texture to the edges. Deckle edge is an ornamental feature designed to set certain titles apart from books with machine-cut pages....




Deckle Edged cut
thanks to
amazondotcom




- - -

And Speaking of books. Y'all know that Bud and I like to go and spend an hour or two at the used book stores around the area. Books Inc at Portland Texas [over the harbor bridge and a few miles across the bay] and Half Price Books in town. I admit my favorite of the two is Half Price. Tho, Books Inc in Portland have quite a few rare books I've found there. Anyway, the other day when it was too hot to be outdoors and nothing on TV worth watching really, I did turn it on and scanned through the program guide and a National Geographic program was aired at that time for an hour. I figured it wouldn't hurt to watch it. Abraham Lincoln is an historical figure in American History that I always enjoy reading and learning. Even on our honeymoon to Chicago years ago, I asked Bud to stop while we were driving at New Salem to go through the area known for Mr. Lincoln. Sorry, I kinda got off track a bit...anyway, the program wasn't all that fulfilling because it focused on the Civil War instead of Lincoln himself. Okay...fine. But in the interim, there was a section of the characterized Lincoln sitting and reading a book that I've always wanted to read when I was a youngster, but never ever have. I found a large copy of it at Half Price Books the other day...Harriet Beach Stowe's "Uncle Tom's Cabin". It's a classic, and it's proclaimed by several historians to have actually been the 'culprit' of the starting of the war between the states. So, now I have a copy of it, and will hopefully sit down and actually read it. Another one that piqued my interest was "The Alamo: an Epic"...a Texas history of the infamous battle in the form of an entire poem...PAGES and PAGES long-over 300 pages. Quite a while ago, there were mixed reviews of his work, but I like poetry a lot and also, to be truthful, I find the subject of the Alamo quite boring. Maybe if I combine my like of poetry with the doldrums of the Alamo...I may enjoy it and learn a bit more than I already know of the Independence of Texas. The other book that I bought was another on my favorite era...The Tudor England. A novel that may show some light on the 'what ifs' of the Armada and Spain.

8 comments :

  1. Cool looking books...I do almost all my reading on line now...sign of the times I suppose :) Have a great Friday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anni I love this post because you know my love for books. I took like the new pages and I figured it had a lot to do with everyone switching to e books. But I would miss the feel of a good book in my hands. Silly I guess.
    I had heard that about Uncle Tom's Cabin years ago and wondered if it were true. We read this in High School but it would be a good read now since I love history more so now than then.
    Came over to catch up and to wish you a very Happy Easter.
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie I, for one, love the smell and feel of the books! I tried the Kindle once as my son has one, the glare isn't fun. It's just the concept of holding a book and actually 'turning' the pages. I don't care to read any book online. It just doesn't seem right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a book lover too and have come across a few of those deckle edged books. I agree that it gives a feeling of added value. Pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have made me want to sit down with a good book instead of all the things I have to do for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anni what a nice informative post. We had no idea what that edging was called!! We like it too. Mom especially likes the size of Dan Silva's paper backs and the color of the page makes it easy to read and the font.

    Happy Friday and Happy Easter. Raining here and mom just said to Dad that she was happy not to have to be traipsing about in the rain. Retired 3 weeks today.
    Hugs Madi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to visit used book stores too....I noticed the "Deckle" on a book I purchased recently but didn't know why it looked that way...glad you cleared that up.
    I'm making a journal with an online tutorial and we're to tear our pages so they have a similar look.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just the other day I was at the thrift shop and was perusing some books and noticed a couple had those kind of edges on the pages...now I know what they're called:-) I have never read Uncle Tom's Cabin but would love to go visit the historical site in Dresden, Ontario which is a bit over an 8 hour drive from me. In 1830, Josiah Henson and his family escaped to Upper Canada (Ontario) via the Underground Railroad. Initially, the Henson family settled near Fort Erie, Ontario (near Niagara Falls), where Josiah gained employment through a local farmer. In 1841, he moved his family to Dresden and helped to establish the Dawn Settlement. The settlement was established to provide a refuge and a new beginning for former slaves. Through his leadership, the British American Institute, one of Canada's first industrial schools, was founded. The school was intended for the advancement of fugitive slaves. Josiah Henson's name became synonymous with the central character "Uncle Tom" in the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin. Pretty neat, eh? lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete

.