my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


What IS a slide rule for anyway? hehehehe


CLICK BUTTON to join!!


THIS IS ONE I REALLY, REALLY LIKE
[aka WONDERFUL WORLD]



Don't know much about history




Don't know much biology
Don't know much about a science book



Don't know much about the french I took

But I do know that I love you
And I know that if you love me too



What a wonderful world this would be

Don't know much about geography
Don't know much trigonometry
Don't know much about algebra
Don't know what a slide rule is for




But I do know that one and one is two
And if this one could be with you
What a wonderful world this would be

Now I don't claim to be an "A" student
But I'm trying to be
So maybe by being an "A" student baby
I can win your love for me

Don't know much about history
Don't know much biology
Don't know much about a science book
Don't know much about the french I took

But I do know that I love you
And I know that if you love me too
What a wonderful world this would be


Sam Cooke's SONG LINK





- - -<><><>- - -

Speaking of Biology...Last weekend I added my two photos that I took of night hawks [during the day] that was found in a tree on our street. Awesome birds...

Here is the LINK.


- - -<><><>- - -


:::Humming along with the song choice this week::: Don't know much about history, don't know much trigonometry--- but I do know that I love memes....and I know that if you love 'em too, what a wonderful world this would be!!

Speaking of the "French I took"...Okay, now that that is off my mind, I want to state, I've always wanted to know the origin of the word "meme" since I play along with so many during the week's blog postings. I just never got around to researching it. 'Til now!!! According to wikipedia, it's more or less in relation to hyperlinks or digital files. Well now, that'll suffice I guess. But reading a bit further, the term was originally used by a certain Richard Dawkins in 1989....
    ^ Dawkins, Richard (1989), The Selfish Gene (2 ed.), Oxford University Press, p. 192, ISBN 0-19-286092-5, http://books.google.com/books?id=WkHO9HI7koEC&pg=PA192, "We need a name for the new replicator, a noun that conveys the idea of a unit of cultural transmission, or a unit of imitation. 'Mimeme' comes from a suitable Greek root, but I want a monosyllable that sounds a bit like 'gene'. I hope my classicist friends will forgive me if I abbreviate mimeme to meme. If it is any consolation, it could alternatively be thought of as being related to 'memory', or to the French word même. It should be pronounced to rhyme with 'cream'."
Now seriously, how can you not enjoy something like this. Afterall, it rhymes with cream. One of nature's finest foods. You really didn't think I'd leave without mentioning something associated with food, right? Especially this time of year when food is a big thing in our house...y'know, all the goodies made for the season like: Fudge, Rice Krispie Treats, pies, sugar cookies, peanut brittle, and holiday meals?!!!!



As Paul Harvey once said "And now you know the rest of the story"...and you've passed your history lesson for the day!!!!

11 comments :

  1. I love this song, both the Sam Cooke and Simon & Garfunkel versions. Great info on the word meme, I had no idea it had such a history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that song and Sam Cooke too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a slide rule(r) is what my kids use to tease their day about him being from the ice-ages :) He was so proud of that thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Anni
    Gosh I haven't heard this one in a long time.
    Great beach and shagging song!!
    (FYI: shagging is a dance done to beach music...at least here in the South!!)
    Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the history lesson today I enjoyed it.
    I am glad that you did mention food today as it is on our minds for sure this time of year.I still need to finish my candies and some call for cream.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG what a great song and tune to use. This is just wonderful HA. Love it. I'm so missing this meme and will be back to it as soon as our contest is completed on the 12th. :) Excellent my friend. :) Love love love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anni thank you for your kind comments...Madi is an inspiration most times. LOL
    C

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Anni, I love love love Sam Cooke. He sang so many wonderful songs. Fabulous!
    Nifty about Richard Dawkins, one very smart individual, originating our word 'meme'!
    Yes, gotta love something that rhymes with cream, and dream...
    -- K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, Anni
    Enjoyed this post..I'm so far behind on everyone's posts but doing the best I can.
    I don't know much...either but I know I love that man!
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  10. Re your comments - it would drive you nuts the way we're living right now - the mess is constantly being worked on. One big problem is too many clothes and not enough space. They have been given so many clothes it's ridiculous! I am doing laundry every single day.

    Thanks for your caring!

    ReplyDelete

.