“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Tropical Storm Hermine is-a comin'!!


Once again, the National Hurricane Center has issued a warning for the area in which I live. As I said yesterday in my Sunday's Summary, I've been watching all week several storms in the Atlantic and there was one huge area in the Gulf of Mexico .... but it was 'yellow' meaning less than 10% chance of becoming a tropical storm. It was covering a huge area in the Gulf; heading due west into Old Mexico....at least the last time I checked. Well, I have signed up for updates of warnings in my area from the hurricane center...and to my utter surprise, the storm in the Gulf that was heading into OLD Mexico is now headed MY WAY!

    A TROPICAL STORM WARNING HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR THE COAST OF SOUTH
    TEXAS FROM THE MOUTH OF THE RIO GRANDE TO BAFFIN BAY.
    SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT...
    A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR...
    * THE COAST OF MEXICO FROM TAMPICO TO THE MOUTH OF THE RIO GRANDE
    * THE COAST OF TEXAS FROM THE MOUTH OF THE RIO GRANDE TO BAFFIN BAY
    ADDITIONAL WATCHES OR WARNINGS COULD BE REQUIRED FOR PORTIONS OF
    SOUTHERN TEXAS LATER TODAY.
    A TROPICAL STORM WARNING MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE
    EXPECTED SOMEWHERE WITHIN THE WARNING AREA...IN THIS CASE WITHIN
    ABOUT 24 HOURS.



Baffin Bay is just about a 30 minute drive from our house. [in the blue outlined area on the map above---Corpus Christi city limits is in the orange outlined area and the "X" is my house] So, I will stick around home tomorrow since it's supposed to make landfall in the early morning hours of Tuesday. We'll probably just get a lot of high winds and maybe a goodly amount of rainfall [which we need, tropical storm or no tropical storm...rain is badly needed] Personally, I don't think it will do too much damage. But of course with high winds AND rain there will be the expected tree and maybe some roof damages, along with flooding. And POWER OUTAGES...I may be without power for a couple of days. Depending on the situation-----


Tropical Storm tracking map courtesy of NHC in Miami
South Texas Map courtesy of Google Maps.


IF YOU'RE HERE FOR MY MACRO MONDAY...it's the post below.

19 comments :

  1. Here's hoping the storm soon reaches a lull...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anni-
    Well, if it is headed your way, it is headed mine as well!
    I need to check the weather channel.
    I'll be thinking of you.
    Our electricity goes out at the blink of an eye.

    Laura
    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete
  3. Battin' down the hatches, Anni. They just reaffirmed the track. Be safe & may all bear up thru this storm.

    Have a beautiful day ~
    TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you will be prepared. We've had lots of rain this year in South Florida which is a blessing.

    PG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's hoping it doesn't get worse, and you just get some rain out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be praying for your safety.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stay safe! I think I prefer our tornadoes to your hurricanes LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sister-in-law lives in Houston, TX. I hope you guys will be safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Anni
    I'm so sorry to read about your sleepless night...seems we are in the same pattern....must be because we are so young.
    I have them too and never know when they will strike.

    I will be so glad when hurricane season is over!!
    Big yawn,
    Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boy you really do have to watch out for these. I've forgotten what it's like living on the Gulf Coast. Let's hope it takes a giant turn or just goes away totally. I know that is almost impossible for it to do but one can always hope. Baton down the hatches and stay safe :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Baton should be Battin' LOL me and my spelling and choice of words sometimes just scares the crap outta me LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Be safe Anni, hopefully since it formed so quickly there is no time for it to grow very big.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Anni, please take good care of yourself while that storm rages over you!! I know you've been through this so often but I still worry about you:-) I was just watching our evening news and they were saying that a tropical storm was headed towards Texas and Mexico...my first thought was of you!! Will be thinking of you and praying that no damage is done and that you keep your power! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awwww that little raccoon has such a sweet face and I love how you've got him in the bucket as his hidey hole:-)

    You're so right about people not realizing that by buying online and not paying taxes, we're just hurting ourselves. We're supposed to tax the stuff we sell in yard sales but not many people do it. The saying is...tax was paid on it when it was first bought, why should the government get tax again on it when it's resold! That I can understand but if you buy something online that's new, then yes, you should pay tax! People like to get a break but sometimes it's not smart to do so.

    Ooooh I'm with you on wanting to visit the British Isles, that would be my destination if I had the money and wasn't terrified of flying! lol

    Toilet paper...over....yup, you're my kind of gal! hehe xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. It must be quite nerve wracking!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Please be careful and don't take anything for granted with a storm. I'm in North/Central Arkansas and we're actually hoping the rain comes as far as us.

    Hugs XX
    Barbara
    Moore Whimsies

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thought of you first when I saw the weather report. I think we might get some of the rain tonight from it.
    Hope you just rain from it and nothing serious.
    I have to catch up with you while I am here.
    Love ya
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your little racoon!
    My Mom has a similar set of three. At least the non-living ones stay out of stuff. :)
    Button down the hatches and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. He's such a cute lil' guy!! It looks like he's got a safe home too.

    ReplyDelete

.