my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes


NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



Wastin' away again in margaritatomato - ville....

....Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt!!!


Click button to join


NOTE: This is a prescheduled post. After the Monday's 5 pm EDT reading of the Tropical Storm Alex update, there is a 99% chance TS Alex'll be a hurricane by morning while I'm still asleep. If the predicted path is anywhere correct, there is a slight possibility that Alex will turn northeast...it's all a guessing game right now but Bud and I will prepare our home and our stash of food and water most of the day tomorrow and be ready for the high winds and rain. The weather channel at 2 pm Monday afternoon warned the entire USA coastal areas that there will be rains...and heavy rains. It shows to be one HUGE system. Likely there will be flooding in town, even if he doesn't dance himself into our city. We are expected to have HIGH surf and lots of wind from this. Perhaps remnants if it turns westerly toward Old Mexico or hits just south of us; the Brownsville Texas area. He's not to make landfall until mid week [if he turns toward Old Mexico] or by the week's end [if he decides to go toward the Texas coast]. All that considering, I may be without power for days. I think we'll be okay, I don't think he'll get to be a category five like Katrina...but y'never know. We WILL keep watching and listening to all the warnings and watches. If any of you ARE in his path....stay safe and evacuate if need be. If I am not online...you will know that we lost power and/or cable.




I must admit, ever since I was knee high to a grasshopper, I have loved home grown tomatoes! This time of year, I crave 'em. As a child I used to climb from the floor to the kitchen counter, using the cupboard drawers for a ladder, reaching beyond my reach for the salt shaker! I'd grab it, sit it down, climb down from where I was, and put the shaker in my hand and off I'd run to the tomato patch. Now, it wasn't a tomato 'patch'...the area my father had was probably more than an acre. All covered with tomatoes. My mom and dad would pick the ripened tomatoes daily from about July 1st through until it froze for the winter. But, I...I didn't really like the really ripe, red ones. My preference as a kid, and still as an adult, were the kind of tomatoes ripening to a crimson red on the bottom and still a tinge of green at the top where the stem came. They're much more flavorful for me. A bit on the sweet, but yet not overbearingly sweet. A bit of crispness. And the juices would flow from my nose over my chin and onto my dress....from the first bite to the last dollop I tossed in my awaiting mouth. And then, I would pick another. Never washing them off...just right directly from the plant. If someone in the house was wanting me, they'd always know where to look. Yep, I was out there in my tomato haven. Sitting on the dirt, savoring every bite. I've probably consumed more fresh tomatoes in my life than Del Monte could shake a stick at.

That was Nebraska.

When my father got an offer because of his occupation's expertise [yes, he was known across the state and into neighboring states because he was that good at his work]...in Colorado. At the age of not quite 6 for me, we relocated to Northern Colorado. And of course, my parents needed lots of land...for gardening. As always, we had tomato plants in by June 1st each and every year...sometimes only to have them freeze in a late Spring frost. But the man prevailed...he'd replant. The growing season isn't as long in Colorado as it was in Nebraska. But during the summer we had fresh, the most luscious, tomatoes each and every meal. I never tired of them. We even carried a salt shaker for me in the car and took a bag of them up in the mountains when we'd go hiking or picnicking...so when I got bored, I'd open the zip lock bag and munch away. You could always tell where I sat in the car or truck...tomato seeds on the backs of the front seats on the floor mats, or up on the dash board if I were sitting up front. That was me. I am still the subject of family get togethers when the talk is home grown tomatoes.

Now, in Texas, the growing season to plant them is usually mid March. Through September. A lot more months of nurturing the fragile plants...and watching them grow and thinking of my dad and his love of gardening. These days, instead of a salt shaker in the car, it's salt packets I steal take with me. And to show you the colossal size of the tomatoes this past weekend picked, the little 'shell' salt shaker is about the size of a U.S. quarter.









Tomatoes are an excellent wrinkle prevention food because they contain lycopene, a substance that also decreases the risk of developing cancer.
















POSTED: Tuesday, June 29th, 2010
12:30 A.M.


21 comments :

  1. Nice tomatoes but right now I'm more concerned with Alex than anything. Baton down the hatches and please be safe. I know you will. I'm going to have the news on all the time now. :) Much aloha to you my dear sweet one :0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for your safety sweetie, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing like home grown tomatoes! I love them too.
    Hope the hurricane misses you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And here I thought I was the only tomato freak in the world! You topped my obsession for sure! I never washed anything either and we lived in South Jersey, so I'm pickled with chemicals for life - they say that's why I don't look as old as I am : ) We grew them so big up there, one slice would fill a piece of bread - really, I have a picture. We used to toast bread on the hood of my car and make mass amounts of tomato sandwiches out doors where we could be sloppy. Someone brought me two tomatoes from NJ a few years ago - I bit into the first one and juice ran down my arm and tears ran down my cheeks! Sure hope you're safe where you are!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hope all is well with you and the weather. will be thinking about and safety. love tomatoes sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, now you've made me even more sad that we don't have any tomatoes growing - it's just such a hassle here, for the reasons you mentioned above. I can't imagine how your mom got all those stains out of your little dresses without Shout! Funny.

    Thanks for checking in with me - I haven't had time to do a new post - been gone to a convention since Sunday night, just checking in when I get home at 10:30. And then I'll have the girls for the next two days to make up for being gone. I don't know when I'll have a minute to think!

    Sure hope you don't get hit! We'll be anxiously watching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you. LOVE fresh tomatoes from the garden! These look delicious. Mine are just started to form. ;(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying all is well in your world.
    I haven't watched tv to see about your weather this morning... but hope that ole hurricane moved back out to sea, where he belongs!!

    O, I love homegrown tomatoes...but the ones in the stores...they don't even TASTE like a real tomato. :)
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow... Your TOMs are so much further along than ours. Good luck with Alex, please just don't send him up north to us. We have already had our fare share of rain this summer.

    Stay Safe,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  10. Got me there, Hootiin' Anni.
    Lucky for me, I have some Norwegian grown tomatoes lying, or I'd had to run away to buy some.
    What a powerful peace you have written to praise the tomato.
    Great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love home grown tomatoes and these look luscious!!!
    Enjoy your day!!!
    Coralie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish you all the best, that you stay safe and the storm doesn't hit your area too much. I think we never have such strong storms in Belgium. The worst one was 180 km/h a few years ago. I'll see tonight on TV if your area is damaged. Tomatoes are the favorite vegetable in the Italian kitchen, and Mr. G. couldn't live without them !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Anni-
    I'm thinking about you.
    I dedicated my post to you today :)

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have the catchiest titles...This post could have been written about me because I did the same thing...we got our first tomato on Sunday, it was delicious. I have these little thingies from Tupperware that are both salt and pepper in the same item. They are about two inches tall...maybe I'll send you one...they would be great in the car...we pack salt in our picnic hamper for those impromptu picnics...can't wait for bologna sandwiches as well as BLTs.
    I sure hope you do not get any damage from Alex...but I hope he sends a little rain our way.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tomato sandwiches??? Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Anni, I hope everything is doing fine at your area. And you are all safe and sound there. Better be ready and all so will wait for you to be online soon, take your time! Like green fried tomatoes, try it! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are beautiful! Hopefully my greenhouse will be finished next summer and I'll be growing some of those for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awwwww I can just picture you sitting in that tomato patch:-) You're right, though, there is nothing like biting into a tomato straight from the garden. Now you have me craving for one! lol We've just planted our tomato plants so they won't be ready until August. I so enjoyed reading about your love of them. The little girl next door is the same with rhubarb, as soon as she knows that ours is ready in our garden, she's over with a bowl of sugar or salt and sits there eating it! lol

    Thinking of you and hoping that you stay safe from that storm!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. the only tomatoes i like are home grown ... they just don't taste the same in supermarkets ... all watery and without taste.
    My Ruby Redness

    ReplyDelete
  20. Got one up finally!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A) I hope you're alright.
    B) I'll fight ya for dem maters! But I need some pepper to go with the salt thankee much.


    Ooooooo love maters right off the vine, or sill as my stepmom picks em early and sets em in the sun till perfect--so as to beat the birds

    ReplyDelete

.