my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




The phantom of the 'hood


click either button to join

AND


[linked each week below]



6 WORD SATURDAY


WE WERE STUPEFIED; SOMETHING outta Sci-Fi?


- - - <><><> - - -


CAMERA CRITTERS

Early one morning, not long ago, I was out in the garage looking for some tool for yard work and I happened to glance out the garage door windows and saw, in the huge cottonwood tree over a block from our house [keep in mind we reside IN the city metro area...not countryside], what I thought was a couple of large white plastic bags that got caught in the branches from the continual sea breezes we have here...but about 30 minutes later they had moved position and I could see by then it wasn't bags at all...but two large birds!! I called Bud to get me the binoculars. Looking through them from the long distance I could see they were egrets. Cattle Egrets we think. As Bud took over the viewing through the binoculars I went inside and set up my new zoom lens on the new camera and went out the front door and aimed into the tree. The tree I'm guesstimating is a 'football field' away. And mostly we see only rooftops of the neighborhood homes and a sprinkling here and there of the tops of some of the larger trees. This is what I saw through the regular zoom lens:



...and zooming in to the highest setting I saw this:






If you like water fowl, I recently took a close up of a Great Blue Heron near a pier the other day walking the beaches....I posted the photo on COLORS OF THE WIND. Here [the link should open in a new window]



- - -<><><>- - -

WEEKEND FUNNIES

Our dear hostess has themes now for each week...just to help out. But, I have a certain collection of funnies that I just adore, so I probably won't follow the weekly prompts. Hope that's okay. This retired couple is so Bud and me!!! I always get a kick out of the two of them. And this, is one of my all time favorites...






...and then, this one for this morning's edition online

Pickles


Copyright issues -used with embed permission from this site.


THOM: There is a note for you in today's comments....



POSTED: Saturday, April 10th, 2010
12:15 A.M.




39 comments :

  1. Oh Cool Wow how far was he up in the tree lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow great photos Anni and what a great eye seeing them so far away! The funny was cute but is sooooo true. LOL LOL
    Have a great day
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this kind of book! I got a companion to Jane Austin last Christmas, together with her correspondance. Ah, how I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, I love your funnies! That one of them in bed, is soooo ME! :) I had never seen them before, but now I´ll be looking them up online.
    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. NOTE TO THOM I left several comments on your Photo Vote, your Weekend Funnies AND your Honolulu photo blogs and my comments aren't showing up?!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Baggy Birds are fabulous, as is your blog design! (<--Mucho talented!!!) I brought you a LITTLE SLICE OF HEAVEN, just in case you can't make it to the tree-covered park!

    SparkleFarkle~~~~~*

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. Don't forget to "click" on A LITTLE SLICE OF HEAVEN, above-- Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cartoon is too funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, those funnies are so like me and my hubby, too. Older people...we are a special "breed". LOL Great pics of the egrets...I've seen them land in a tree in my yard--in pursuit of a goldfish for lunch. LOL Happy SWS!Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Saturday, Anni! Just makin' the rounds with my morning coffee. Hope you have a wonderful weekend :)

    Tink *~*~*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Capture. I saw Cattle Egrets in Florida when visiting my Dad a couple of years ago. We don't see them up here. Liked your cartoons too. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! You got so close to this heron. They are not very cooperative when it comes to photographing them and you did it!!!
    Jan
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both are great!
    I love the ASAP!
    Thank you for your superb contribution!
    Anni, you enjoy going to my wordpress huh?
    Can you tell me why?
    Happy Weekend!
    hugs
    shakira

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah.. you like Sci Fi?
    Intriguing Six Word, Annie!
    hugs
    shakira

    ReplyDelete
  16. ~your pictures above are so lovely...wishing you a wonderful weekend...brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for visiting me.
    How exciting to capture a couple of egrets way up in a tree! Kind of justifies spending the money on good camera equipment, doesn't it?
    I got a chuckle from the two comic strips - thanks for sharing.
    Have a great weekend.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Anni!

    I've just realised I forgot Six Word Saturday! Ooops!

    Have a great weekend,

    Sassy
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anni, love seeing the birds...
    the comic is so funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Egrets eager to pay a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Annie is that bird tired .... but its so lovely ... great patience to capture this cutie birdie..

    Our Creativity
    Fishing Village
    If Only

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loved the new funny... Thanks for inquiring about my knee... It is doing great! We did a couple of good size hikes and I really had big problems... A little ache at night but with Aleeve and some asprin creme it was fine. Thanks agin!
    (((HUGS)))
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the ASAP one! And the pics are great! Happy 6WS!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! those are large alright! Beautiful birds and great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great six words and I love the funnies !!
    Happy 6WS
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  26. Never seen those birds before!!!
    and I loved the cartoons, I'll have to remember the ASAP part, lol.
    Back from my short break and back to my old name...what was I thinking?? never mind. Enjoy your weekend!!!
    I simply love your new template!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my goodness, those egrets are quite BIG!

    ReplyDelete
  28. oooo, i love your cartoons! and i'm gonna use asap a loooot more now, heee heee heee.

    those birds are BIG! i'm sure we don't have them here though... i don't recognise them.

    ReplyDelete
  29. WOW! Those birds are absolutely mind blowing...so majestic! Thanks for sharing...:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. You see your Please No Spam!!! Well akismet took that to heart and put your comments in my spam folder ROFLMAO!!! I wanted to bitch slap it. LOL How could it do that to HA I thought? LOL Seriously I check my spam folder daily and sometimes it does put comments in there. They are showing up now. Sorry about that.

    Love your SWS and how it relates to your critters. What a find that was. Good thing you took a closer look. That's a fantastic shot :) Love it. And your weekend funnies had me rolling. Well done.

    Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful captures--I can't wait for the egrets to arrive up north. Your heron photo taken earlier was a perfect pose.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wonderful shot of egrets - what a gift! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I liked your SWS...and your comics too.

    Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  34. That last cartoon is totally realistic!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anni,

    Well, I'm home and just stopped by before heading to bed. I'm added an update to my blog. Thanks so much for keeping everyone up to date as much as you could. Dwight is exhausted and just didn't get back to give you a further update. Our apologies. We do appreciate your posts on my condition.

    Hugs,
    Mary
    PS. Love your new look.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great shots of the egrets and I love the funnies.

    I saw your note to Thom. I have been having the same problem on several blogs and have had others tell me the same thing about my blog. It looks like it is a problem with blogger, hopefully they will fix it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow, those birds look huge! And what crazy "hair" they have! Thanks for playing 6WS.

    ReplyDelete

.