“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






The NEW new math....

Today for Monday Morsels:





Irene sent this to me through email the other day, and it really made me laugh while I read it. Since it's a scientific fact that laughing is good for the soul, I wanted to share it. Besides, #s 6 and 7 are sooooooooo funny, and sadly quite true. I loved it. Hope you will too.






Years of Math 1959 - 2009 (in the USA )

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $ 2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters , but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?

2. Teaching Math In 1960s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100.. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990s

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20... What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok. )

6. Teaching Math In 2009

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?


Year 2010:
Who cares, just steal the lumber from your rich neighbor's Property, he won't have a gun to stop you, and the President says its OK anyway cuz its redistributing the wealth, to hell with the friggin math.



- - -<><><>- - -



You know, being recognized from my peers in blogland really makes me feel good. All the kind words posted for the reason they passed on the award they received to me, and about me, makes my day. TROY recently passed this award on. In my comments, Troy wrote: "I always enjoy my visits to your blog, in fact, I have nominated you for an award....Keep up the good work." It certainly made my day! Thank you so very much.

To add as noted, seven things about me:

1] I used to sing in the church choir
2] I can strum on my guitar
3] When I was a kid, my older brother used to hook up my sled on the back bumper of his car and pull me down the snowy streets. [I oftentimes have this fond memory and wonder what the cops would do NOW-A-Days to the two of us!!]
4] According to Bud, I have a rock fetish [I do find myself picking up a rock and examining it in hopes of it being a geode or some such valuable stone. LOL]
5] Speaking of stone...I Love Amethysts, my birthstone --but emeralds are my favorite.
6] I love the chiseled face on a man...high cheekbones, deep set eyes...raw jaw. Oh my....where was I? Oh ya, #7---
7] Chocolate Mint Brownies with pecans....my favorite chocolate dessert.


- - -<><><>- - -


I have several books that I'm reading at once, a chapter each here and there, but the newest one Bud bought for me, The White Queen, is another by one of my favorite authors, Philippa Gregory. Instead of centering on the English Tudor history in her newest novel, Ms. Gregory has written about the Plantagenet era. The War of the Roses. And being that her style of writing is so profound for me...I think I'll stick to this book only, until finished. It already promises to be the most interesting of what I've been reading. It's really piqued my interest!! It begins with Elizabeth Woodville, who along with her mother's assistance, seduces and weds England's King Edward IV...in real history....if you're any bit interested in England's royal history, the War of the Roses...the families' WHITE and RED roses...Edward IV's at first 'secret' wife...Elizabeth...is the WHITE rose...she becomes England's White Queen! [c. 1460s] I really hope it's as good as all her other books!! I kinda think it will be, I won't be sorely disappointed.


- - -<><><>- - -




PS....Oh when the Saints Go Marchin' In....oh when those SAINTS go marchin' in!!!!! Congrats to the New Orleans Saints....I love it. They won the Super Bowl...the Saints are Super Bowl Champs!!! [World Champs...new mayor...things may be turning around for the broken city on the mend!!! Hope this is a good omen!!!]










POSTED: Monday, February 8th, 2010
4:30 A.M.
The Celebratory Saints Photo -borrowed from 'net

18 comments :

  1. I love the math joke! Congrats on the award too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The math thing, is unfortunately, too close to the truth for comfort.

    I like Gregory's books, too.

    I wanted the Saints to win. Yipee!
    Dark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pppsssttttt...Anni...wanna come watch some tight ends with me??? hehehe Omigosh we're bad! lol

    Isn't that the truth where Math is concerned!! The part that just kills me is that they use calculators in class now, even in exams. No need to think at all or try to solve a problem, just let the calculator do it. Sigh!

    Congratulations on receiving another award, Troy is right, your blog is always a joy to visit:-) Chocolate mint brownies with pecans...I've never had that!! Waaaaaaaa, I'm so deprived!!!!

    Have a great day, dear Anni:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I always admire people who are so giving to those in need and I love the way Chris has used blogging as a way of doing so. Enjoyed reading your list of simple pleasures. Oh yes, bed linen that was dried outside is one of my simple pleasures as well!!! Hearing church bells in the distance is also something I love. We really do enjoy quite a few of the same simple pleasures:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some very sweet and simple pleasures you've got there Anni. We, as Americans, are so very very blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! That teaching math is almost too true for comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The years of math is funny but I fear there is too much truth in it. Congrats on the award....
    fun to read your 7 things.
    I have read "The White Queen", in fact I've read all of Philippa Gregory's books. Love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning Sweet Pea...
    What a beautiful post today. I wanted to pop in for my morning Annie, it is the only thing that gets me going for the day. Hopefully this week will be better than last. (It can't get any worse believe me).

    I too have a habit of picking rocks and things up that I find to examine them. I am so convinced we were related in another life, because I so believe you are my long lost sister. That's it. Hell I am just going to adopt you.

    Thank you for your kind words Annie. They meant so much to me. I so love to write and I love visiting with each of my bloggie friends.

    Thank you for being my Valentine. Have a beautiful Monday sweetie. Country hugs and so much love. Your Valentine...Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The math in the USA thing is funny .. and sad, but so true. Learned from the 7 things about you...I also like Chocolate Mint Brownies...very good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anni,

    Yes, the Saints won. I hear the half time game wasn't good. I didn't watch the game and Dwight had to miss it. He was a little annoyed.

    I had a lot of catch up to do here. I didn't realize that I hadn't visited you for so long. The cheetah sketch is awesome. You are such a talented person.

    I think I will try to find a copy of The White Queen. Sounds like a great read. Right now I'm reading a series about WWII and the invasion of Europe. They're definitely a great read.

    The math email that Irene sent to you is hilarious. Thanks for sharing.

    Wishing you and Bud a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the 7 things about you -- and I am SOOOO with you on #6...hee hee. :)

    Historical fiction is simply the best!

    Geaux Saints!!!!!!!

    Have a wonderful week!!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. What was the advertised price of the burger? or was the a sales tax added to a different price to come up with one fifty eight as the total?

    or

    what frame of mind are you in?

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so interesting, I like the way you tell things. You were right #6 amd 7 were funny. The book sounds so good, think I will go to Barnes and Nobles, I know they will have it. I also am a stone picker upper, you never know what you may find. Thank you for coming by, have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow...that math is so true. LOL I loved it. Congrats on the award. Well deserved and it's great to learn things about you :) The Superbowl was the best. I'm so glad the Saints won. :) WOOT. Have a wonderful week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've seen the math thing before ... it would be hilarious if not so sad. I watched this transition happen over the years as a teacher. I can't believe kids can't make change, but it happens to me more often than not. Enjoyed learning a bit more about you ... don't think I knew you 'strummed' a guitar. It's been a while since I've played mine. Seems to me it might be your birthday soon ... like maybe tomorrow? It MUST be in February if Amethyst is your birthstone ... it's mine too ;-)
    Happy Birthday!
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Anni,
    I enjoyed this post. Let me relay an experience with math and a young man this weekend.
    I collect pottery when we travel, from a local potter, if possible. We visited such a shop. I picked out three pieces and carried them to the counter where a young man, perhaps 17 years of age was standing. He, first, wrote down the items on a purchase order ( I assumed this was for their record as I wasn't given this paper). Next, he entered them into his cash register from the purchase order. I noticed he had only listed 2 or the 3 items and told him he hadn't charged me for one of them. So he clears the register and begins again. This time, the total was about twice what it should have been. I don't know what he entered but I pointed out that the total was too much. Finally, he decided to do it on a manual adding machine. That worked until he realized he needed to add tax which was 9 cents on the dollar. He preceded to multiply the $27 X 9. But, he said he forgot to include the decimal. I said it didn't matter. He said, but it says 243. I said that just means the tax is $2.43. All of this took place while he yawned and rubbed his eyes. I remarked that he must have had a late night.
    Finally, I got out of there. I could have done the math in my head. Apparently, the young man is so used to the computer doing the math for him, he no longer knows how to do it himself, if he ever learned.

    Emerald is my birthstone. I'm glad you love it.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  18. love the math and what an awesome game!!

    ReplyDelete

.